Type keyword(s) to search

S13 Matchmaking in Houston

• Start Topic

On 7/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, answerphone said:

They always sound wonderful at first, but look what a disaster Chris was! 😤

To be fair, all of us except for the "experts" knew that Chris was an asshole loser from the matchmaking episode!

On 7/8/2021 at 11:21 AM, seacliffsal said:

At least we saw a bit of the 'experts' asking about deal-breakers.  However, they need to ask beyond deal-breakers to such things as animal allergies (which has occurred more than once).  

They also need to eliminate the guys whose "deal breaker" is "if I'm not attracted to her right away" - I believe they cast two guys who said that for this season.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:36 AM, Blissfool said:

Which begs the question, why is it only the women's drawers that get picked through? Why isn't Pastor Cal making home visits to rummage through the men's drawers? 

On 7/12/2021 at 10:27 AM, Elizzikra said:

The men's drawers are also examined - I've seen more condoms on this show than you'd find in a whorehouse.

The men's drawers are also investigated by the ladies - Pastor Cal isn't a creepy pervert like they are.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Maybe it's just because I've been watching this show so long and I'm wise to the BS by now, but it is just so obvious to me that most if not all of these couples are total mismatches and that the so-called "experts" don't really match them at all.  They were really digging deep to pull out the BS to justify matching some of them.  I am just so sure these people are matched for maximum TV drama and that's about it.  The fact that anyone really falls in love on this show is a miracle, LOL.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, princelina said:

To be fair, all of us except for the "experts" knew that Chris was an asshole loser from the matchmaking episode!

They also need to eliminate the guys whose "deal breaker" is "if I'm not attracted to her right away" - I believe they cast two guys who said that for this season.

Re: Chris - exactly.

They also need to eliminate the ones that say they are "very picky" and have never been in love before.  They often intersect with the guys that say their deal breaker is not being attracted to a woman right away.

And while we're at it, how about the ones that are obvious serial daters and say the last time they had sex was 2 weeks ago.  Yeah, right sure, they have no leftover "situationships", like I believe that.  😏

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5
On 7/10/2021 at 7:40 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

It always kills me when people claim that certain cultures value “family.” Like, what cultures don’t, please? Some may do it in louder or more enmeshed ways, but it’s kind of an anthropological default. (Just a general observation, not at anyone in particular.) Right up there with “XYZ culture is all about food.” Like the rest of us are wishing we could get by on Soylent and vitamin IV drips. 

Yeah, really, what cultures don't?  That's such a BS reason.

Speaking of this and what I said about the "experts" pulling reasons out of their rear ends to justify matching a couple, I hate it when they claim that their love of family and/or their strong work ambitions are the main reasons why they matched them.  Plus saying the main reason a couple makes a great match is because they both really want to be married.  Well, duh, they all really want to be married, but that's kind of a prerequisite of all of them.  It should really get a lot more specific than that.  If those are the main reasons why a couple makes a great match then that's really not a great match at all....

• Love 6
On 7/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, Lurk said:

Dr Pepper saying something in the intro about what a great job matching they've done in the past got me screaming at the TV "Have we been watching the same show?" I must have missed something.

They were all patting themselves on the back for all the "great matches" they've made that have stayed together past decision day, but meanwhile right now even more of those are falling apart.  I'd like to see how they are going to shove all that under the rug now.  The more this show goes on the more these people expose themselves for the phonies they are and make me sick.  Their cracks are showing now.  I think the show is close to jumping its own shark.  They're getting bolder and sloppier and OBVIOUS and it's getting harder for me to watch.  That coupled with the fact that the show seems determined to be on year round to capitalize on its success is going to result in me one day deciding I've had enough and I don't have time to watch the same phony crap over and over again.  I don't know if they realize that they turn people off when they do stuff like this.  They are too blinded by their own greed.

• Love 4
(edited)

Jose and Rachel stuck out as the first of many bad matches this season.
His must have list for his wife was as long as his arm.

But the kicker was that he needed to have an instantaneous attraction to her at the alter but he caught himself and said that “she” needed to be attracted to him from the get go.

That explains Rachel in her bridal gown stating she was attracted to the person rather than the physical appearance in the preview tease.

Rut roh…..

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

say the last time they had sex was 2 weeks ago.

Eh - that doesn't bother me much. I'm an old bird but I have a bunch of 20 and 30 something friends. Everyone's different but as a generation, I'd say that sex doesn't imply a committed relationship at all. I think a lot of people in this generation believe that sex is something that is fun to do and as long as they and their sexual partners are honest and forthright about it being "just sex" there's nothing wrong with it and there are genuinely no strings attached.  

Speaking of this and what I said about the "experts" pulling reasons out of their rear ends to justify matching a couple, I hate it when they claim that their love of family and/or their strong work ambitions are the main reasons why they matched them.  Plus saying the main reason a couple makes a great match is because they both really want to be married. 

I think that is the experts code language for "they are both desperate enough to be married that they will do anything and everything to make this work."

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Eh - that doesn't bother me much. I'm an old bird but I have a bunch of 20 and 30 something friends. Everyone's different but as a generation, I'd say that sex doesn't imply a committed relationship at all. I think a lot of people in this generation believe that sex is something that is fun to do and as long as they and their sexual partners are honest and forthright about it being "just sex" there's nothing wrong with it and there are genuinely no strings attached.  

This show has proven time and time again that most if not all of the people who were very sexually active up until being matched (and in some cases afterward) were not really ready for a commitment to one sexual and life partner for the rest of their lives.  It's not the attitude about sexual activity, it's what being that active when you're claiming to be ready to settle down says about your real level of readiness to do just that.  

I don't think what generation you're from makes any difference.  I'm 63 and when I was young I thought that sex was something "fun to do" too but when I was ready to settle down with one person I didn't continue that behavior the way I did before.  I got more focused on finding the right person, and making myself emotionally ready to be with that one person.  It's not something that can be that easily turned on and off like a switch.  I knew if I continued to focus on fun times I wouldn't leave myself open to find the real thing.  It's just like what Virginia's single behavior said about her.  All that drinking and wanting to pass out on friends' couches didn't exactly make anyone believe that she was ready to suddenly stop that behavior and stay at home with one man every night.  And sure enough, she wasn't.

• Love 8

What a crock of shit. These three play experts on TV, the same way many news anchors read the news into a camera lens. No expertise whatsoever. 

The producers have cast this new bunch of disaster matches for entertainment purposes. The few successes from past seasons have been fortunate opportunities people made work. I’m now at the point of calculating who crashes first, second, etc. and whether it’s related to sex, money or past lives (at least one of the newbies broke up four months ago—no rebound issues there!).

• Love 1
On 7/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, Elizzikra said:

The men's drawers are also examined - I've seen more condoms on this show than you'd find in a whorehouse.

How about the wads of cash and a fake gun in Derek's nightstand!

On 7/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

It always kills me when people claim that certain cultures value “family.”

What was confusing me was they were using slightly different terminology, calling it "having family values" or something like that, which to me is different from valuing family.  And to me, having family values means you advocate for warning stickers on profane record albums, and things like that.  Not that you love your family.

Argh...now I'm even more confused.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What was confusing me was they were using slightly different terminology, calling it "having family values" or something like that, which to me is different from valuing family.  And to me, having family values means you advocate for warning stickers on profane record albums, and things like that.  Not that you love your family.

I agree! Those are different things, for sure. "Family values" implies a particular kind of conservative or traditional mindset, which is maybe outdated or unfair, but it's a lot more specific than "values family," which I think is right up there with "loves to laugh" in terms of helpfulness. Let's try to narrow it down a little more than 95% of the human population, why don't we?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This show has proven time and time again that most if not all of the people who were very sexually active up until being matched (and in some cases afterward) were not really ready for a commitment to one sexual and life partner for the rest of their lives.  It's not the attitude about sexual activity, it's what being that active when you're claiming to be ready to settle down says about your real level of readiness to do just that.  

Agreed.  I'd add that if you're still getting some regularly then you're not a person who has "tried everything" and can't find a spouse.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I don’t typically watch any episodes until the weddings, but my DVR picked this up, and I am bored. I definitely question some of these matches. The two that stood out to me the most - the Asian couple who know each other. WTF show…how does this continue to happen? Houston is a HUGE city, I know, I live here. And they clearly included the suburbs, so even MORE people.

Also, the red head (Rett? Brett?) and the guy who claims to have dated all of Houston? Nope. Not seeing it - at all. 

I will be here weekly to watch the train wreck though! 

Edited by CSunshine76
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CSunshine76 said:

The two that stood out to me the most - the Asian couple who know each other. WTF show…how does this continue to happen? Houston is a HUGE city, I know, I live here. And they clearly included the suburbs, so even MORE people.

I gather that the pool from which they were picking was a very small subset of the population of Houston.  When the woman gave Viviana her no-fly list, she said something to that effect, that the community was very tight.  I also gathered that the list included names not only of people she'd dated in the past, but also ones that she wouldn't consider dating, which also indicates that there was a pool from which they were picking people. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I gather that the pool from which they were picking was a very small subset of the population of Houston.  When the woman gave Viviana her no-fly list, she said something to that effect, that the community was very tight.  I also gathered that the list included names not only of people she'd dated in the past, but also ones that she wouldn't consider dating, which also indicates that there was a pool from which they were picking people. 

I'm trying to wrap my mind around how she could have come up with a list of names that long and it crossed my mind that perhaps the show had given her a list of names of men they were considering for her and asked her if she knew any of them and either had already decided against or dated or would not date them again.  She probably recognized a lot of the names.  They may have been finding these people on dating sites that she had already exhausted herself.  I can imagine that if she were looking for Asian men that met certain criteria the pool would be quite small even in a big city like Houston, and she may actually be a person who had "tried everything" so the list of "no-gos" for her was rather long.  I don't necessarily agree with Pepper that this shows her to be extremely picky or not ready to find someone, though.  When the pool is that small the pickin's are pretty slim.  She did indicate that she would be open to dating Caucasian men so in that case the pool would open up significantly but I think they concentrated on Asian men for her, probably because it was her preference.  But I can't fault her for having that as her preference.  So once again a big STFU to Pepper.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 12:07 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around how she could have come up with a list of names that long and it crossed my mind that perhaps the show had given her a list of names of men they were considering for her and asked her if she knew any of them and either had already decided against or dated or would not date them again.  She probably recognized a lot of the names.  They may have been finding these people on dating sites that she had already exhausted herself.  I can imagine that if she were looking for Asian men that met certain criteria the pool would be quite small even in a big city like Houston, and she may actually be a person who had "tried everything" so the list of "no-gos" for her was rather long.  I don't necessarily agree with Pepper that this shows her to be extremely picky or not ready to find someone, though.  When the pool is that small the pickin's are pretty slim.  She did indicate that she would be open to dating Caucasian men so in that case the pool would open up significantly but I think they concentrated on Asian men for her, probably because it was her preference.  But I can't fault her for having that as her preference.  So once again a big STFU to Pepper.

Maybe she had a spreadsheet from 15 years of dating?????

Edited by Kira53
  • LOL 2