Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: Health Care Sharing Ministry

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

As always, watch, then post.  No personal politics.  No political discussion outside what is discussed on the show.

• Start Topic

"She's in my house! How is she in my house?" - Well, there's a horror movie line if ever there was one. Imagine what these people could do if they used their ability to spin insane lies and conspiracies for good instead. 

As for the main story, ah, yes, denying people help because they don't live by the "Christian (TM) lifestyle", judging them, and profiting from their scams while leaving very little money, if any, left over for those who need it. Truly the teachings of Jesus, right there. 

It says a lot about just how cynical and jaded religion has made me and many others that I figured that's exactly where this story was going. I am so incredibly sick and tired of these organizations being able to skirt all these laws and regulations because they get to use the "religious exemption" cover. John's right. At some point, we have to start holding these people to account, be it a health ministry or a church or other organizations of that sort. 

And of course John would take advantage of the super lax regulations in Florida (why, why is it always Florida?). Hopefully some people can get some much needed help through his organization, at least. 

Continuing on the topic of healthcare, though...six magic markers? A cat toy bell? A plastic turtle?!?!

So, SO many questions that I really do not want the answers to D:. 

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Continuing on the topic of healthcare, though...six magic markers? A cat toy bell? A plastic turtle?!?!

Looks like people that want to "experiment" are avoiding traditional sex shops and going to Dollar General instead....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3

If you’re curious about the Wow Airlines story that John skipped over, Rachel Maddow last Monday delved into that aspect of the crazy Italygate lady. Grifter extraordinaire. 

Bless that CSPAN anchor for his unflappability.

I knew immediately that these religious HCSMs would be terrible about things like birth control and abortion but, damn, they’re so much worse than I imagined.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I love him :D. Hopefully whomever replaces him will roll with all the goofy calls just as well. 

How about the MMA dude / pitchman that drilled his own scrotum???

• LOL 6

I've never heard of HCSMs, so that was very illuminating. Maddening, but illuminating. I'm debating whether to sign up with JohnnyCare. I guess I can't dither too long if I want a 3-bandaid box.

OMG. Susan Collins. "She's in our government! How is she in our government?"

That whole segment on Michele Edwards was hilarious. I found the Washington Post article that I believe the show referenced. Here. Can't wait to read it.

The CSPAN guy is truly, truly the most patient man on television. Oh man, how can he put up with those callers?

"I am against the word 'goddamn' being used on our airwaves."
"And you just used it."

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

For some reason I can imagine how some people might get the idea to stick markers or a cat bell up their b... but I am really confused about the plastic turtle and especially the fork. I really, really hope that the part of interest there was the handle.....

CSPAN really needs someone better to filter callers...but maybe they don't have enough to be too choosy....

...I admit, I have kind of a hard time to feel sorry for the adults which got caught up in such a health care sharing scheme. Because essentially they fell for it, because they themselves wanted to go all judgemental on other people and then ended up being surprised, when the judgement hit themselves instead. I feel sorry for the children and general the members of the family who have to live with the consequences of their selfish decision. But like every scam this is another one which mostly works if the brain of your victim is blocked by greed and general selfishness. Not that I don't think that there shouldn't be regulations against those kind of things...but in the end of the day it is exactly the "why should I pay for others" attitude which is blocking proper healthcare for all. An attitude, which has already killed so many people. 

• Love 11

I've read about HCSNs before and they just sound like a bad idea. The positive remarks (in articles I read) were along the lines of "I've gotten about the same amount out as I paid in"--which at best, has me thinking, how about just invest your own money? 

I debated myself trying to get my 3 bandaids.

• Love 3

I had never heard of HCSM before, and I’m still a little confused exactly how it works.  I’m going to have to watch this episode over and/or google this for more information. 

How fun to see John start a new church and bring back Wanda Jo.  Praise be! 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So, SO many questions that I really do not want the answers to D:. 

I think the answer is best summarized by something I heard in a hospital cafeteria a couple years ago sitting next to some ER staffers - "Dr. Felder always said anything's a sex toy if you try hard enough"

• LOL 14

My shortcut explanation whenever I run a prescription for someone who has one, and said prescription is inevitably denied, is this: it's like insurance but they're allowed to deny you coverage due to a pre-existing condition. Obviously there's more to it than just that, as evidenced by this episode, but that drives the point home right away. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I think the answer is best summarized by something I heard in a hospital cafeteria a couple years ago sitting next to some ER staffers - "Dr. Felder always said anything's a sex toy if you try hard enough"

LOL, apparently so!

The thing that really gets me is, okay, one marker is weird enough, but...what the hell leads someone to go, "Hey, let's try that five more times!" 

Some people, I swear...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

The thing that really gets me is, okay, one marker is weird enough, but...what the hell leads someone to go, "Hey, let's try that five more times!" 

Oh my. I just assumed the “6 markers” was a total, not a single occurrence. And now I’ve thought about that all I’m planning to. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Another show where the HBO lawyers are like "What do you want to do now John?"

22 hours ago, Annber03 said:

It says a lot about just how cynical and jaded religion has made me and many others that I figured that's exactly where this story was going.

While there are homophobic (and probably misogynistic) issues driven by religion with respect to these programs, I think the fundamental driving factor is greed. I highly doubt the founders of those health care organizations are especially religious. They just see an means to exploit people for their own profit. It's kind of like PACE from last week. The contractors could care less about the needs of the homeowners, they just saw a way to get rich. 

I went down the rabbit hole on Michelle "Ballarin", the woman who helped start Italygate and all I can say is that it must be nice to be white and rich. No matter how stupid the words coming out of your mouth are, someone is willing to take it seriously. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Great episode. Love Johnnycare.

John Oliver is right of coure. Those health care sharing ministries are such a scam. They happily take your money then decide whether or not to pay for anything. Amazing its almost always nope. Of course you have to be the right "Christian" but don't think that'll get them to cover your surgery. Nope, still most likely going to be a no. I love the woman in charge of it insisting it wasn't up to her and sharing the money wasn't what they do. And of course her saying she had to get out of there quick. Nothing suspicious there.

I don't want to know what couples are doing with markers.

• Love 6

It’s not just greed, but playing on certain people wanting to “stick it” to certain other people, including an entire political party.  

I had heard about these HCMS on the Opening Arguments podcast and it really is incredible how people fall for the scam and then are surprised when they are scammed.  It’s worse than those skinny insurance plans it actually encourages people to be judgmental about others.

They really should be regulated.  This religious exemption is just going too far.

• Love 7

I crack up every time John gleefully says "m'Wanda" and Wanda Jo says "m'John". Never not funny!

I don't get that. Is it some sort of evangelical thing?

I never get tired of Rachel Dratch showing up as Wanda Jo, though. 

• Love 7
On 6/28/2021 at 9:15 PM, xaxat said:

I think the fundamental driving factor is greed. I highly doubt the founders of those health care organizations are especially religious. They just see an means to exploit people for their own profit. It's kind of like PACE from last week.

Yes, I think this is where the show is always at its best - shining a light on scams and taking advantage of people. 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:21 AM, swanpride said:

I admit, I have kind of a hard time to feel sorry for the adults which got caught up in such a health care sharing scheme. Because essentially they fell for it, because they themselves wanted to go all judgemental on other people and then ended up being surprised, when the judgement hit themselves instead. I

I certainly feel more bad for the older couple that lost their house on the PACE episode, but, being a judgmental jerk means you don't get invited to parties, not losing a lot of money. Now, if they don't learn from that, it's on them. If anything, both these episodes show that there's always someone out there. 

• Love 1
On 6/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't get that. Is it some sort of evangelical thing?

I never get tired of Rachel Dratch showing up as Wanda Jo, though. 

I always assumed it was short for my Wanda and my John. And just an over the top show of affection. Another layer of fakeness, if you will.

• Love 6

Forgot to post last week. Great that John went for another dark corner, though it sucks that the next new episode involves a four-week wait, and John didn't say anything about that. I guess he was too happy talking to his wife again for that to pop into his head.

What do you think Rachel Dratch does with that wig when John doesn't need Wanda Jo? Maybe fill it with snacks and eat out of it? It seems big enough where that's a possibility.

Great take on Captain Planet. They gave him a Jesus beard, put him on the cross, and he still had that smile. You think we might learn more about LWT's art people that make those illustrations?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Great take on Captain Planet. They gave him a Jesus beard, put him on the cross, and he still had that smile. You think we might learn more about LWT's art people that make those illustrations?

I got a kick out of the "Captain Planet" bit, too :D. I used to like that cartoon when I was little. 

4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I got a kick out of the "Captain Planet" bit, too :D. I used to like that cartoon when I was little. 

Do you watch Rick and Morty? They just aired a great take on the concept.

• Love 1

OMG, the HCSM piece gave me nightmare flashbacks to my old job.  I worked for a big insurance brokerage when they were deciding whether or not to include the “ministries” in the suite of offerings.  My vote was no no no - for at least one of them, the agents who sell it also have to sign the faith pledges which just seemed like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen for us.  But ultimately the decision was yes.  I think it lasted a year or so before the decision was reversed.  We got all the complaints John outlined - no actual doctors/hospital in network, impossible to get reimbursed, etc.  They are horrible.  (siiiiiiiiiiigh)

• Useful 4