Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Owen Hunt: That Ticking Sound You Hear Is Just His Biological Clock

• Start Topic

I get the complaints about Owen / Cristina, and I certainly was annoyed by their relationship often post season 5. I also agree that Owen's character is dreadfully boring now, and sort of all over the place. 

BUT... I'll say that I never, ever once doubted how much he loved Cristina. Just like it is her right to not want kids, it's his right to feel he needs them. There are PLENTY of men in the world who want children. It's so rare to see on TV (and even in films), and so I do like and appreciate that Shonda explored that dynamic of their relationship. Often people are madly in love but they simply aren't a perfect fit; that was the case with Cristina and Owen to me. They both hurt each other, but I dare you to show me two people in love who have never hurt each other.... it ain't gonna happen. Should he have have followed her to Switzerland? Absolutely not. They'd never work out. Part of him loving her is realizing that she needed to be on her own, doing what she loved.

His relationship with Amelia feels totally out of place, because it happened so inorganically and seemingly out of nowhere. Still, that's sort of what happens on Grey's; take into account that S1 - S3 took place over just one year, and Izzie started out with a boyfriend, then got with Alex, then fell in love with Denny, and after he died she fell in love with George. IN ONE YEAR! George also fell madly in love with Meredith, dated Olivia and then married Callie during that time. Meredith met and fell in love with Derek, had several one night stands, then met and fell in love with Finn, then got back with Derek. In this case, at least Owen and Cristina had been off and on for some time.

I don't fault him for sleeping with or falling for someone else, but I do think the way the writers put the story with Amelia together was clumsy as hell. 

BaseOps, if he loved her as you say,he would have never thrown abortion at her face as he did,saying she killed the baby.If he wanted kids,he should have divorced her and left after the abortion on the spot. Also he cheated on her to punish her for the abortion.Is that love? I hardly think so.

Nanda and I, we have overanalysed him from head to toes. Believe us. He is a man I would not wish  for any woman except Amelia, she deserves him all the way because she is his female copy.

Owen needs women (Cristina, Beth,Teddy,bar slut,Emma,Amelia ,etc.,etc.) as Nanda perfectly said to satisfy his own needs.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

Cristina appreciated  the relationship per se while he appreciated the relationship for what he could get from it. That's why I never bought he loved her that much, he needed her which is very different. If he loved her that much he never would have open hand of her, even if that meant to follow her to Switzerland. Which is what we women do everyday in any part of the globe, we follow our SO. In fact, this kind of people very quickly turn to other people who can give the things they aim when their partners  fail to do it. They are unreliable, flighty bc is not exactly the person who they want but their needs met and their agendas fulfilled. I don't think, I'm far from the truth. The speed this guy falls in other women's arms after Cristina is very telling. After a couple of weeks he was already making plans for the future with Emma and KMK acted as his character was maddly in love with Amelia after a couple of months after Cris. Yeah what a great, consuming love that was!!!  He might be only projecting, but he seems to fall for every girl who crosses his path very easily.

I absolutely agree.

Yes,also in 508 - Joe alley scene, I don´t need you,bla, bla,bla, yes he did. But it was not love.

And all those funny speeches about love, laughable.

Nanda, one thing though.KMK said at the beginning of S7 or sort of that writers planned Cristina pregnant (it was the curveball) in the finale of S5. It was supposed to be written but they changed the script. I bet Shonda could not afford that because she would lose a numerous fresh fanbase so she postponed it until S7 finale,but KMK said that they would have raised the kid in s6?????!!!!!! Where on earth did he get this idea????!!!!! He never knew,not the actor himself who Cristina was???? I am astonished again and again. What do you think?

BaseOps, if he loved her as you say,he would have never thrown abortion at her face as he did,saying she killed the baby.If he wanted kids,he should have divorced her and left after the abortion on the spot. Also he cheated on her to punish her for the abortion.Is that love? I hardly think so.

Nanda and I, we have overanalysed him from head to toes. Believe us. He is a man I would not wish  for any woman except Amelia, she deserves him all the way because she is his female copy.

Owen needs women (Cristina, Beth,Teddy,bar slut,Emma,Amelia ,etc.,etc.) as Nanda perfectly said to satisfy his own needs.

It's all a matter of opinion. Like I said, I don't believe there's such thing as love where people don't hurt each other. I've hurt plenty of people I love, and been hurt by plenty of people I love that I continue to love. Shonda goes overboard a lot, but I appreciate that her characters are all complex; Arizona cheated on Callie and I still believe she loved / loves her immensely. I don't agree with cheating, but I don't believe that because you cheat you don't love your partner.

They certainly had a very toxic relationship at times which is why I think they need to be apart. He brought up the abortion because he was hurt. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but I think it's realistic. When you're really hurt, you act out. He was incredibly frustrated that she didn't see his side of things, and he felt he was losing something he always wanted. They hurt each other often, but I believe both characters love each other very much. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

But if he loved her,why not telling her he cheated - where was his honesty, she backed him into the  corner and only then the told her the truth!! What a rat!

Like I said, they both hurt each other and made mistakes. I mean I can't convince you otherwise, these are fictional characters so something like 'love' is very subjective. But from my perspective, they love each other very much and they hurt each other a lot. I love Cristina as a character; Owen, not so much. I can't defend his actions, I can just state my opinion. But I do see where you're coming from. Their relationship was incredibly toxic, which I think was sort of the point. 

• Love 1

BUT... I'll say that I never, ever once doubted how much he loved Cristina. Just like it is her right to not want kids, it's his right to feel he needs them. There are PLENTY of men in the world who want children. It's so rare to see on TV (and even in films), and so I do like and appreciate that Shonda explored that dynamic of their relationship. Often people are madly in love but they simply aren't a perfect fit; that was the case with Cristina and Owen to me. They both hurt each other, but I dare you to show me two people in love who have never hurt each other.... it ain't gonna happen. Should he have have followed her to Switzerland? Absolutely not. They'd never work out. Part of him loving her is realizing that she needed to be on her own, doing what she loved.

I accept others views on the quality of their love of course but for me personally this couple challenged my notion of Love. It's very easy to mistake neediness for love and Owen was/is very needy though he tries to camouflage this with a strong, assertive,  male sergeant attitude.  For me he had many opportunities to show love but he wasted them. He parrot a lot without talking about meaninfull things for the relationship coupled with the fact that he sexed her a lot, but to me that doesn't translate into Love at all.

People hurt themselves in relationships all right but...it has its limits and this cannot  be an excuse for such serious mistakes or lack of character.

He was, of course, in his right to want kids but not to try to force, manipulate, blackmail, browbeat, cheat, deviate her from career ambitions (when he was already accomplished in his, it's an hypocrisy that he waited so long to have kids mainly bc of  his career ambitions but always saying to her, who was at the beginning, that surgery was not  everything in life)...whatever he did, and he did a lot,  her into something it would have destroyed her and killed her personal ambitions. He was not in his right to fulfill his infinite needs at her expense without any regard for  what was good for her. No one should be forced to breed like he tried to do to her. No one! So, his right of wanting stopped there. He didn't have the right to mold her into his views of life.

For me, "Part of him loving her is realizing that she needed to be on her own, doing what she loved".So, Cris  needed  and preferred to be all alone in an entirely different world by her own, starting a demanding job with no mate to support her !? That was writers BS to justify Hunt not going after 'his greatest luve' to Switzerland. But as everything the writers write for a character make the character,  the only thing I can say is that he didn't love her enough to abdicate of his ambitions, as he wanted her to do when he tried to impose motherhood against her will, to follow her. Point me one time in this show Cristina Yang needed to be on her own, without a mate, to do what she loved! She loves to be coupled, she may not like or need the institution of marriage, or a ring, or house w/ a picket fence...but...she loves a good relationship, she strives for a mate.

His relationship with Amelia feels totally out of place, because it happened so inorganically and seemingly out of nowhere. Still, that's sort of what happens on Grey's; take into account that S1 - S3 took place over just one year, and Izzie started out with a boyfriend, then got with Alex, then fell in love with Denny, and after he died she fell in love with George. IN ONE YEAR! George also fell madly in love with Meredith, dated Olivia and then married Callie during that time. Meredith met and fell in love with Derek, had several one night stands, then met and fell in love with Finn, then got back with Derek. In this case, at least Owen and Cristina had been off and on for some time.

And the fact that this is sort of  what happens on Grey's we have to take it has Love? Nowadays everything is called Love!  Izzie and Gorge and Hunt are people with plenty of love to give! This is precisely what I'm talking about Hunt, these people fall in love (or whatever) for people in their life so easily and more easily change the object of their love (as a discarded diaper) that hardly I'd call it love. His relationship with Amelia feels totally out of place bc as I said KMK played his character as if Hunt was madly in love with Amelia and finally had found the new greatest love of his life two months after the old greatest love of his life had left.  It's not credible.

And the fact that Shonda copycat all C/O intimate scenes for them in an attempt to present us the new Cristina doesn't help, it is completely imbecile.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

They certainly had a very toxic relationship at times which is why I think they need to be apart.

I totally agree. A toxic relationship happens btw two fundamentally different people. If two persons are so diametrically opposit, how can they be considered the love of each others life? It's a hell of a notion fueled by Shondaland that I struggle to understand! There are limits to what love can endure! One day it ends.

He was incredibly frustrated that she didn't see his side of things

I understand, but if there was one who could be frustrated with his incapability to see her since the beginning was Cristina, and she never cheated on him. I think, his dealings with all his women showed without any doubt that he shows a deep rooted lack of respect for them. When, the writers put him cheating on every of his women, simply ended ruining their case that he only cheated on Cris bc he was incredible frustrated with her (as if all of us who are hurt by our partners would), that he was not the man to do such a thing. IDK what they had in their minds when they took this approach with the character. But they ruined his good guy's profile to the PIG on call.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

Nanda, one thing though.KMK said at the beginning of S7 or sort of that writers planned Cristina pregnant (it was the curveball) in the finale of S5. It was supposed to be written but they changed the script. I bet Shonda could not afford that because she would lose a numerous fresh fanbase so she postponed it until S7 finale,but KMK said that they would have raised the kid in s6?????!!!!!! Where on earth did he get this idea????!!!!! He never knew,not the actor himself who Cristina was???? I am astonished again and again. What do you think?

Do you think KMK nows what he's talking about. Of course, it was too soon to put in practice what she was planning for them at the time, she still had to milk them and string the fans along.  She never planned them to be together all this time, she made them incompatible since the beginning while assuring fans they were a great love story, so romantic, so beautiful, so adult, such terrific kissers w/ even more terrific chemistry.... keep watching, See? 

He is a man I would not wish  for any woman except Amelia, she deserves him...

LOL. God, you truly dislike the character, so do I. You made me laugh.

But if he loved her,why not telling her he cheated - where was his honesty, she backed him into the  corner and only then the told her the truth!! What a rat!

Forget it, the character is a rat! He would never have  told her if she hadn't cornered him, like he  never told Beth what was happening in her back w/ Teddy, or like he never told Cristina what was happening in her back w/ Teddy, or like he didn't told  Emma what was happening in her back. 

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

For me, "Part of him loving her is realizing that she needed to be on her own, doing what she loved".So, Cris  needed  and preferred to be all alone in an entirely different world by her own, starting a demanding job with no mate to support her !? That was writers BS to justify Hunt not going after 'his greatest luve' to Switzerland. But as everything the writers write for a character make the character,  the only thing I can say is that he didn't love her enough to abdicate of his ambitions, as he wanted her to do when he tried to impose motherhood against her will, to follow her. Point me one time in this show Cristina Yang needed to be on her own, without a mate, to do what she loved! She loves to be coupled, she may not like or need the institution of marriage, or a ring, or house w/ a picket fence...but...she loves a good relationship, she strives for a mate.

Cristina didn't die, she's not condemned to a life alone. And no one made her take that job, she took it despite leaving several people behind, not just Owen. She had an amazing career opportunity, and everything we'd ever seen about Cristina up to that point pointed at her taking that job and going. She wants to do amazing things. She wants a Harper Avery. She took Shane with her, so he could be her sex buddy, and she's off-screen, so for all we know she could be madly in love with him or anyone else. Owen was never her be-all-end-all. During the last few seasons of her run, their scenes were consistently her least interesting. But her leaving and being "alone" can't be blamed on Owen... Sandra Oh left, she had to be written off. At least she left in a way that left her future open, career wise and romantically. 

I totally agree. A toxic relationship happens btw two fundamentally different people. If two persons are so diametrically opposit, how can they be considered the love of each others life? It's a hell of a notion fueled by Shondaland that I struggle to understand! There are limits to what love can endure! One day it ends.

I understand, but if there was one who could be frustrated with his incapability to see her since the beginning was Cristina, and she never cheated on him. I think, his dealings with all his women showed without any doubt that he shows a deep rooted lack of respect for them. When, the writers put him cheating on every of his women, simply ended ruining their case that he only cheated on Cris bc he was incredible frustrated with her (as if all of us who are hurt by our partners would), that he was not the man to do such a thing. IDK what they had in their minds when they took this approach with the character. But they ruined his good guy's profile to the PIG on call.

Owen's often selfish, rash, and stubborn. But selfish, rash and stubborn people fall in love too. Maybe he was too dependant on her, and maybe he showed his love in the wrong ways, he certainly treated her badly at times. Cristina should have left that relationship after they broke up (the first 5 times); she knew she could never give him what he wanted, and she went and slept with him when he had Emma because she got jealous. Yes, he made the decision to cheat, but Cristina was just as much in the wrong there. They both made terrible choices often, I think, because they loved each other.

Now that Cristina is gone, though, everything about Owen that was appealing is gone. He's just shouty and over-dramatic and currently in love with my least favourite Grey's character of all time. I wish that at the end of season 11 they had cut some more dead weight, I think it would have improved the show a lot going forward. 

• Love 1

Yes, of course. I think by the time she was leaving she had made peace with the fact the relationship wasn't going anywhere, thanks God! But saying that he loved her so much that he freed her it's giving him too much credit in my opinion. I always felt she was not enough for him, so he dis it for him too.

I agree he made the decision to cheat, but Cristina was in the wrong there too. I won't say as much bc it was his duty to protect his relationship not exactly hers, but yes, she behaved like a slut.  And that is one of the times I felt she regressed as a person bc of him. People can argue til they blue to their faces but she was one of the most loyal characters  of the show. Even that I hold against him. However, according to him it was not that what made him broke up with Emma. They both made terrible choices often,  bc they were adicted to each other, that's how I see it. But looking forward to see hurricane Amelia to put him in his place, bc if I see another woman being screwed by him, acepting that as part of life and us being told that is true love I will...I don't know what! I'm starting to feel that the manly Amelia is gelling when with him.

• Love 1

Yes, of course. I think by the time she was leaving she had made peace with the fact the relationship wasn't going anywhere, thanks God! But saying that he loved her so much that he freed her it's giving him too much credit in my opinion. I always felt she was not enough for him, so he dis it for him too.

I agree he made the decision to cheat, but Cristina was in the wrong there too. I won't say as much bc it was his duty to protect his relationship not exactly hers, but yes, she behaved like a slut.  And that is one of the times I felt she regressed as a person bc of him. People can argue til they blue to their faces but she was one of the most loyal characters  of the show. Even that I hold against him. However, according to him it was not that what made him broke up with Emma. They both made terrible choices often,  bc they were adicted to each other, that's how I see it. But looking forward to see hurricane Amelia to put him in his place, bc if I see another woman being screwed by him, acepting that as part of life and us being told that is true love I will...I don't know what! I'm starting to feel that the manly Amelia is gelling when with him.

You know Nanda, this show is not really for me anymore. Sandra made it watchable.I always admired her how she had the guts to stand up against Rhimes.

Do you think KMK nows what he's talking about. Of course, it was too soon to put in practice what she was planning for them at the time, she still had to milk them and string the fans along.  She never planned them to be together all this time, she made them incompatible since the beginning while assuring fans they were a great love story, so romantic, so beautiful, so adult, such terrific kissers w/ even more terrific chemistry.... keep watching, See? 

LOL. God, you truly dislike the character, so do I. You made me laugh.

Forget it, the character is a rat! He would never have  told her if she hadn't cornered him, like he  never told Beth what was happening in her back w/ Teddy, or like he never told Cristina what was happening in her back w/ Teddy, or like he didn't told  Emma what was happening in her back. 

Yes,Hunt always did unethical and dishonest stuff behind the women´s back.

Rhimes lied to fans so so much. You are right. Just keep watching,bla,bla,bla. She has always treated fans of this couple like dirt.

Nanda, KMK said in yesterday Facebook of EW magazine QA that and now listen carefully "he loves both Crowen and Omelia" to a question who is his favourite ship, so I am asking who is Owen´s true love then?One day it is Cristina and another day it is Amelia? How does this message from the actor influence what we think of Owen? I think it adds a lot of negativity to an already damaged character.

I remember in S6 there was a podcast with writers and at that time somewhere around mid season T.Phelan (the writer who left with Sandra) said that Owen loved both Teddy and Cristina,now the actor himself says the same but Teddy is now Amelia. Back then it took a shooter pointing his gun at Cristina´s head for him to choose her.

Why is Owen always so indecisive??? 

I am asking what it will take for Owen to choose this time?Who will he choose now? This question is very relevant because the actor also said in this chat with fans that if he were Shonda he would want Cristina come back for a few episodes and now comes the best part  - to see what her comeback does to Owen. I am asking what is the point of Cristina´s comeback??!!! It is insane. There is none. What KMK said buffles me and has no logic. He wants to stay on Greys FOREVER it seems  and he wants to explore Omelia this season per his own words and wants to see Owen fulfilled in family life someday. What does he need Cristina for then? Just to push Amelia at Cristina´s face to show her he has found a woman who will give him kids and he loves he more than he ever did Cristina?

https://www.facebook.com/entertainmentweekly/photos/p.10153702176054701/10153702176054701/?type=3

What do you think Nanda?

BTw,in the premiere horny Owen of course kissed Amelia just like he used to kiss Cristina (with puppy dog eyes of course) after he told her last season they were a plane crash and went away to be an army surgeon,now he suddenly is all over her again.  

After tonight's episode, I felt compelled to check in on this thread and make sure everyone is okay!

You and me both. LOL

But seriously, I wasn't on the total dislike train of Owen until this episode.

All I can say is REALLY? That is how you show us that Owen isn't perfect? Where the heck did that come from?

• Love 1

I've posted in the other thread that I didn't take offense to what he said, I understood it to be the writer's nod to Owen wishing that his "love"  for Cristina and their relationship being one a kind and etched in time, he actually said the words etched in time. When you say you wish something was etched in time, it sounds like you view it as special and unforgettable. Well negative events are etched in time as well, but I didn't get negative in his tone. I got it that he wanted to be her last, although he could have suggested his death instead LOL, or even both of them dying as in he wished he was on the plane. But he did say that he knew it was a selfish thing to say. At any rate, I really did see it as coming from a place of disrespect or evil, selfishness yes. 

Not to mention, that back in the day there were post from Burke and Cristina fans wanting Cristina to die because they didn't want another man to be with Cristina and benefit from all the "work" Burke put in, LOL, they were pissed. So I see this in the same light.

But based on the perceptions of others, the writers might want to cease even putting Cristina's name in Owen's mouth anymore. 

Edited by represent

Just the way it was worded and the logic behind it was so strange.. his FIRST instinct when he heard that news was relief? Derek, Meredith, Lexi, Arizona, etc. were all on that plane, and he felt relief that Cristina had died, above all else? It was just such a reach. I thought last night had so many nice call-backs to earlier moments (April's patients death, for one) that they could have used Owen's scene for him to reflect on something we saw (his PTSD, choking Cristina). Instead he said... THAT. It was weird. 

• Love 2

After tonight's episode, I felt compelled to check in on this thread and make sure everyone is okay!

LOL. Apparently everyone is appalled or dead.

But based on the perceptions of others, the writers might want to cease even putting Cristina's name in Owen's mouth anymore.

It's not only based on the perceptions of others, it's based in their lack of writing skills to make Owen more appealing after the Crowen debacle. It's to reassure Crowen fanbase that they were the couple and any other woman in his life will always be second. BS.Yes, the writers should stop to put Cristina's name in that rat's mouth bc it will always come out the wrong way. I think  what they meant was that he and Cris were the greatest love story of all times even if now he's happily moving on with his new exciting flame,  bc...bc...the poor guy has no alternative! Cristina is dead afterall, right? Wait...no... she's only some hours of flying distance from him!!! If...he really wants her.  Not to mention that he consistently showed she was not enough bc she didn't want what he wanted, kids. There it goes the theory that he loved her sooooooooooo much that he prefered her dead to the less hurtful alternative of her leaving him at some point. It's inconsistent hence why the way it was worded and the logic behind it was so strange as BaseOps said.

However, I don't feel it inconsistent with Owen's inner works.  For me it felt pretty organic. He always has been presented as a self-centered baby-cry and many times selfish. So, once more he brought the crisis that was happening in the house to his own private world to "help" Amelia. His reasoning was, 'if she'd dead she can't leave me' however he could aswell have thought, 'if I die, she can't leave me'. Self-centered and selfish. People are imperfect all right, but for me if the people who I love most were surely dead my first painfull rational thought would be towards them, are they really dead? Did they suffered? and so on ...  I agree with all the girls upthread, of all ways to show he's imperfect they chose the most weird one. But I recognize that the writer's intention was to show us that for him the relationship was memorable. Great history.

Honestly, they should have  finished this character's journey when Cristina left bc everything they put him saying or doing right now sounds completely fake and weird and inorganic and...

• Love 2

I now even question what really made him join the army. What was his motive? Can one even question this? 

To do that,to go into a war zone as a trauma surgeon,one has to be self-less, generous, altruistic, it is a sacrifice, risking your life every minute to save others,also when he came back already with PTSD, when he told Cristina how there was an explosion and only he survived, there was a feeling of guilt,no selfishness from him, and the story he told her in the shower, his best and worst surgery, how he tried to keep that man alive, pressing his body on his so he would stop bleeding,again sacrifice,no selfishness there, as a  doctor as a human. How can one even pretend or fake selflessness in this case? It is impossible.

Then last season it was shown he went back to war zone. What was his motive? I DO question this now. It was not to help others but.... to do it for himself somehow. If he now revealed how truly he is selfish at the core of his heart, wishing death to Cristina to ease his pain of her leaving him for Zurich or elsewhere. 

When did he become so selfish then,so self-centered and self-absorbed???!!! I will never understand how one can change so much. The core of your personality.

Also,as a doctor who strives to help people survive, whose life mission is to help people survive, how can one even UTTER to wish sb´s death or even have this thought or feel relief at this thought????

He is a monster to me. 

He truly is the perfect match for Amelia,those two are like one,two selfish people,only me,myself and I,I hate Amelia for who she is,and now I see all the qualities in Owen which are so so similar to her like a male copy of her. I despise both of them.

Edited by Nobodysfan

I now even question what really made him join the army. What was his motive? Can one even question this?

To do that,to go into a war zone as a trauma surgeon,one has to be self-less, generous, altruistic, it is a sacrifice, risking your life every minute to save others

Is it? Does everyone who enlists do it for generosity, selflessness ? We have to stop seeing things with the rose coloured glasses. I believe those motives are what leads many to join the army, but what about those who do it because they want to prove themselves, to be 'machos' or those who want adventure, to kill people, excitement,  to be usefull to give meaning to their life or just to show off. Are these people doing that for selflessness? Or there are any other set of values and many times deep seated unresolved emotional and psycological issues at the core of the decision to part to war and risk their lives?

When did he become so selfish then,so self-centered and self-absorbed???!!! I will never understand how one can change so much. The core of your personality.

Unfortunately, he didn't change nobodysfan, our perspective of him is what has been changing gradually as we get to know him better. One thing that I learned to do is to not listen what he says but watch closely his actions. This is true for everyone but even more with this guy.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

Yup, putting my rose-coloured glasses off.

Wasn´t it the thing he said to Cristina in 502?? Whether she wants to go off for the adventure??? 

Yes, it is not him, it is my perspective of him that has gradually changed up the point that there is nothing I see as good in him.

Wasn´t it the thing he said to Cristina in 502?? Whether she wants to go off for the adventure???

Yeah, but he said that in the "Before".  Before he went back to the war zone and suffered the trauma. There was suppose to be  Owen in the Before and Owen in the After, and Before Owen was more adventurous where maybe one might be able to throw that back in his face and say well you were ready to pick up and go anywhere then, so why not pick  up and follow your one true love now?

I mean he does seem to like fast paste adventure and I think running the ER and being a trauma surgeon lends itself to that moreso than the other specialties.

I'm not sure I ever thought of Owen as being some selfless hero at least I didn't think they would stick with that story, not on this show. Nothing he's done surprises me, it really doesn't. Maybe it just because it's what I expect with any character on this show. 

I mean people hated Cristina, she had no heart so they'd say, but I loved her and didn't care what she did. And she pulled some shit, and some self serving shit, nothing but....

She's better than Owen because I got her and related to her, but I thought she was a best the character period, that's me.  But I don't think she nor any other character on this show is better than Owen when it comes to being selfish, they ALL are IMO.

Sorry, but I just don't buy that just because he served and put his life on the line means that he carried himself that way in all parts of his private life at home. There are tons of brave men and women who serve but they sucked in their personal relationships  before, during and understandably once they returned from war. They're human, that hero label is sometimes a very unfair label to put on someone because it's humanly impossible to always live up to.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Yeah, but he said that in the "Before".  Before he went back to the war zone and suffered the trauma. There was suppose to be  Owen in the Before and Owen in the After, and Before Owen was more adventurous where maybe one might be able to throw that back in his face and say well you were ready to pick up and go anywhere then, so why not pick  up and follow your one true love now?

The after Owen ditched his position as COS and went in another tour abroad fleeing from facing his current demons at the moment. He still is adventurous and as we can see it was not selflessness and generosity and courage why he did it. Unfortunately his 'adventureness' spirit it comes of use only for the things that suits him.

The after Owen ditched his position as COS and went in another tour abroad fleeing from facing his current demons at the moment. He still is adventurous and as we can see it was not selflessness and generosity and courage why he did it. Unfortunately his 'adventureness' spirit it comes of use only for the things that suits him.

I don't even care for Owen that much unless he's with Cristina but I just feel the need to defend him because from my perception it just seems like he's viewed as evil incarnate and I'm sorry, I just don't see that. Maybe I feel the need to defend him because Cristina loved him whether he deserved that love or not is of course debatable, but he had it. Does the character have great screen presence? Not really, but if written for well, I believe he could rise to the occasion, whatever. Good luck to him on this show with these amateurs. 

At any rate, we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't see anything wrong with drowning your sorrows in a productive way.  Except that like Owen said, it wasn't helping him truly deal with his grief because forgetting about your grief  and dealing with it are two different things. But traveling overseas to help people in a war zone is a lot more productive and a good way to deal with one's demons than picking fights in bars, or turning to drugs  etc.. Even selfless acts award something to the "selfless" people who are doing them. They get something in return even if it's a feeling of being needed. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

I don't see  he drowning  his sorrows in a productive way  I see him recurrently fleeing from facing his problems. And for me that's not the way to grow to maturity. I see that as a problem, as in fact he recognized in his talk with Amelia. It's the first step finally! Fleeing or taking drugs are two different ways of not facing reality, of making people dwell in the safe Neptunian haze of unreality. They're both unhealthy. Obviously that drugs add another layer of unhealthy. Physically.

And yes, the feeling of being needed can be very addictive for some, therefore very rewarding. But once more makes me very suspicious about that selfless/hero mode they throw consistently in our direction.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, IF one's belief is that he's the worst male character  or character overall that the show has ever seen. Not sure if that's the view, but it's what I perceive from some of the posts. Please correct me if I'm wrong because my point is I don't think it's deserved.

Again, well have to agree to disagree on the bottom line, every character on this  show has behaved in an unhealthy way time and time again. And I did cover in my post that going to the war zone was a way of forgetting his grief and that he realized that it was not the way to deal with it, I covered that.  It's still better at the end of the day to deal with your problems by not inflicting harm on others and that's what he did. It's still infinitely better that filling your body with harmful toxins or resorting to violence, instead he took himself over to a war zone to provide medical help to those in need. When he realized that he wasn't dealing with his grief head on, he stopped running back to the war zone. I say points for Owen all around. He even helped Amelia, who yes, I can't stand, not resort to putting toxins in her body to deal with her grief.

He's fucked up and so are all the rest of these folks, he just doesn't stand out in my view as being the worst of all time and that to me that is how he's being described. Why? Because he's not the hero we thought he was or should be?  I covered this as well, that term hero to me, is a very unfair label to assign to any human being because there is no way in hell that a living, breathing human being can live up to anyone's perception of a hero, every day of their lives. They are human, and everyone's perception of a hero many not be the same. Just because the writers gave the impression that he was a hero doesn't mean he has to live up that perception,  especially not indefinitely. There is no way he can IMO. 

I just don't get it.

You would think the man was a rapist, murderer, child molester, even a domestic abuser. Choking Cristina doesn't count because we all know where that came from. Wanting Cristina to make babies with him and not understanding where she was coming from doesn't make him the worst either. It makes him a delusional, idiot and a very selfish one at that.

I think my point overall is he's not an evil person. I don't see him coming from a place of pure evil and for me, that's all I need to give another human being some slack from time to time.

Edited by represent

I also don't think he's evil or a monster. He has some big flaws, like everyone on this show, and to me one of the biggest was convincing Cristina to marry him when she was a PTSD-suffering shell of herself. He had a vision of their future -- in which Cristina would want to have children with him, and he couldn't let it go. They never talked about kids, but to me anyone who knows Cristina well, should have known that she's not the mom type.

So while he seemed blindsided by her reaction to the pregnancy, he should've known that she would feel that way.

Another flaw, but one that seems to be shared by almost every male attending at that hospital, is bringing personal grudges into the OR-- kicking out people he's angry with.

I remember he did it at least once with Meredith, maybe more.

And if they're going to pair him with an existing female character, it should be Callie, right after she breaks up with Penny for "killing" Derek. I thought they had nice chemistry in that alternate-universe episode a few seasons back.

• Love 1

And if they're going to pair him with an existing female character, it should be Callie, right after she breaks up with Penny for "killing" Derek. I thought they had nice chemistry in that alternate-universe episode a few seasons back.

This is the only thing I would take huge issue with, if Callie wasn't a friend to Cristina which I declare she is moreso than Meredith since it's Cristina whom she asked to be her kid's godmother, then I'd be OK with it. But no, don't care if Cristina is gone and living on another continent, it's too close for comfort to me. Callie and Meredith are no, no's for Owen. It's breaking a girl code for me. I think he can have at any of the other female characters because none of them are close enough to Cristina for it to matter to me and that includes Arizona not that she's ever gonna be batting with the other team.

But I fully support the girl code, you just don't date men whom your girlfriends dated and worse whom they were once married to. I hope they NEVER go there because I have always rooted for Callie, she's really never done anything on this show that made me dislike her, nothing. You know, I really can't think of anything, wow. But going out with one of the men, cause there has only been two, that Cristina loved, no good.

By all means, look out for him, I like their friendship, they do have good chemistry, but it can't go beyond that for me.

Edited by represent

We'll just have to agree to disagree, IF one's belief is that he's the worst male character  or character overall that the show has ever seen. Not sure if that's the view, but it's what I perceive from some of the posts. Please correct me if I'm wrong because my point is I don't think it's deserved.

At this point I'm not sure if you're writing to me anymore bc I never said I think he's a monster. In fact I've stated several times that I don't think he's purely evil or the worst man in the universe. I understand he's human and has human flaws. However some flaws impact more some people while they don't have that much importance for others. His flaws irritates me more than other characters and I recognize they have them too. Why? Because I relate to Cristina therefore to her SL, including her mates and bc they collide with life values I hold as important. That's why I analyze him more closely than others. He's in my aim bc of that. And the fact that other characters might also be flawed doesn't mean he his allowed to flaunt his bc if one of the other characters would throw himself to a pit he wouldn't follow him for sure. We don't have to score the bar by the lowest point. 

Yes, writers gave the impression that he was a self-righteous hero criticizing and belittling others around, and KMK portrayed his character as being exactly that, and then they deconstructed the character to the ground, to the point of him being the opposite he was shown to be at the beginning. We didn't need him to be a hero, just a normal guy who's growing up through his ordeals. Instead we get a chauvinist in his 40's stuck in his teens who refuses to grow up and treats women repeatedly  like sh*t behind  a caring, kind, sweet puppy eyes facade. We can't be blamed for seeing him under the light the writers wrote him for 'scandal'(drama) purposes!

No, he's not a rapist, murderer and we're not evaluating him from the psychopath point of view but he's far from being good mate material and it's from that point that I evaluate him. As a man he lets a lot to desire, he lacks.

And, of course I agree to disagree. That's why we're here and why it's fun.

Edited by Nanda

For me my love for this character has turned to hate.

As it often happens with these two feelings.   

I mostly detest the way he behaves to women in general. OK, he went to join the army for whatever reasons he had inside, stil a human act.

He is a great trauma surgeon, not a good chief though.

And I would say he will use Amelia to give birth to his child or children,marry her as well, but will cheat on her at the blink of an eye. He was not honest to any women he was involved with.Never.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1

I also don't think he's evil or a monster. He has some big flaws, like everyone on this show, and to me one of the biggest was convincing Cristina to marry him when she was a PTSD-suffering shell of herself. He had a vision of their future -- in which Cristina would want to have children with him, and he couldn't let it go. They never talked about kids, but to me anyone who knows Cristina well, should have known that she's not the mom type.

So while he seemed blindsided by her reaction to the pregnancy, he should've known that she would feel that way.

Another flaw, but one that seems to be shared by almost every male attending at that hospital, is bringing personal grudges into the OR-- kicking out people he's angry with.

I remember he did it at least once with Meredith, maybe more.

I hope it is not Callie. 

Even in AU, he lusted after Cristina and still kept in touch with Teddy. Remember?

I would have slapped Meredith back in S8 when she said he was a pig, but I was blind,naive.  She was right.

Edited by Nobodysfan

Regarding Owen's kissing style (face eating), I was just watching Made of Honor (with Patrick Dempsey and Kevin Mc Kidd, and at one point Kevin is kissing his fiance goodbye at the airport and Patrick is impatiently waiting in the car and he says,  "What's he going to do,  eat her?  Come on,  take a breath take a breath" and I almost fell on the floor laughing. It's a kevin thing. ...

• Love 1