Type keyword(s) to search

Schmigadoon! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh yes most def a phantom reference. Along with his statement “I just want someone to love me”- very phantom sentiment. 

I figured it and dream girls were just setting us up for next season when they move into Les Smig!

• Like 6
18 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

So in the first season finale the final song hinted at this season by picking up a lot of 60s vibes (the style, the tambourines, etc.)

Anything like that this time around? I didn't get any sense of an era from that final song.

I think this time it was the chandelier dropping that hinted of things to come.

*cue Phantom overture*

4 hours ago, lovett1979 said:

I too was hoping that she would turn out to be the wife/mom. In Sweeney, The Beggar Woman is the only character that doesn't seem to be involved in the plot until the discovery at the end. Likewise, as much fun as it is to have a drunk lady quoting Company in the background, she's the only character that isn't really involved in any of the plots. Making her Daisy would have been much better story-telling AND a better reference to the source material.

That would have been cool but a little too much. Also would have detracted from the theme that there are no real happy endings.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I think this time it was the chandelier dropping that hinted of things to come.

That, and opening with Dreamgirls (1981).

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

From the article: 

What was the thought process with the type of role that each returning performer was taking on? Was it more about wanting to use these actors in different ways or ways you didn't get to show previously? Or is there some connection between who Betsy and Jenny are as people that figures into the mythology of the Schmigadoon! world? 

It's a mix of both because it was giving them a chance to flex another muscle and show their versatility. ... Alan's character in both seasons is tortured by something. Dove's characters are both innocent in their own way, innocent yet kind of knowing. And Aaron's characters are both focused on themselves. There's those sorts of connections.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2023 at 8:27 AM, allonsyalice said:

Soundtrack releases tomorrow! What banger is gonna top your list?

I find it very hard to choose. With season one they sold the soundtrack by episode and the only songs I had to have were With All of Your Heart, Suddenly, and I Always Always Never Get My Man. With season two am probably singing Everyone's Gotta Get Naked, Bustin' Out, and A Happy Beginning most, but I am having a hard time not listing 90% of the rest of the songs as well.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this season a lot and can't wait for Season 3. I do wish they had added an episode or 2 cause it felt so rushed at the end. I did want some twist that the Narrator had turned out to be the killer or something but I did appreciate the falling chandelier and organ music hinting at things to come.

Seeing Jaime Camil in Rocky drag made me realize that they didn't do much with that show (although I understand) but also we didn't get anything of the Wiz did we? Again, that may have been hard but there could've been some kind of throw away line or shot.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, xander874 said:

we didn't get anything of the Wiz did we? Again, that may have been hard but there could've been some kind of throw away line or shot.

I am just now listening to an interview with Cinco Paul where he mentions that he actually kept trying to find a place to have a hint of Ease on Down the Road but ultimately could not.

https://www.tedlassopod.com/cinco-paul-schmigadoon-schmicago-ted-lasso/

• Like 2
(edited)

I think that chandelier was definitely foreshadowing for season three. Bring on the mega musicals! Phantom of the Schmigohra? Les Schimgerables? 

The lesson was what I was guessing/hoping that it would be, that life can be rough but that's alright, you have to keep going. They also ended up teaching the Schmicago inhabitants sort of the opposite of what the Schmigadoonians had to learn, that everything doesn't have to be all dark and dingy all of the time and you can have happiness even if things can be hard.

So many bangers this season, that Dream Girls song was amazing, so glad that Ariana got a big moments to shine. 

Did anyone else think a bit of Pippin at the end when the narrator was trying to convince Josh and Melissa to give up on the real world and stay?

The only real problem I had with this season is that it was so short, it could have really used those extra two episodes. Hopefully we get a longer season next time!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Did anyone else think a bit of Pippin at the end when the narrator was trying to convince Josh and Melissa to give up on the real world and stay?

Yes, it was absolutely the end of Pippin, the underscoring matched it as well. (with a little bit of Company thrown in as well)

• Like 2

Essential as always, here is the Broadway by Ghostlight breakdown of Episode 6:

If Doug Besterman says he intended a "Being Alive" reference with Kratt's interrupted song, he would know, and I absolutely accept that. But its introductory vamp had a little something of Anthony's version of "Johanna" in it, too, to my ears.

Very curious to see if there will be a season 3. Like what lesson would they need to learn next? What motivation could they have to go back to Schmigadoon? Also it looks like Melissa did get pregnant in the end so I guess they have a kid now.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Very curious to see if there will be a season 3. Like what lesson would they need to learn next? What motivation could they have to go back to Schmigadoon? Also it looks like Melissa did get pregnant in the end so I guess they have a kid now.

Maybe their kid goes ShmInto the Woods?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1