Type keyword(s) to search

Schmigadoon! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This has been such a great summer show, and as a musical theater nerd, I've enjoyed the homages/parodies of different golden age musicals. A friend and I have been watching and live texting musicals each week throughout the pandemic, so this show has been total catnip to me.

The music has been great throughout, but I especially loved "This is How We Change." While I never thought that "Sunday" from Sunday in the Park with George needed tambourines and a Pippin/Godspell arrangement, it worked so well. I now want more Sondheim and Schwartz mashups in my life.

• Love 1

I got a “Light” from Next to Normal( Hi Aaron!) vibe crossed with Schwartz for that finale.

I’d love a season 2 with the cast in different roles with a 70’s/80’s/90’s vibe to replace the 40’s/50’s/60’s vibe.

Great summer viewing!

• Love 3

I want a Fosse/Sondheim Mashup for Season 2.  Bonus if we somehow also get a Starlight Express reference.  It doesn’t always have to be about romance either.  They could tackle family strife.  I could see a whole family or maybe just siblings getting stuck in Schmigadoon.   I really think this premise could go a long way.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Citizen A said:

The theme and style of the final number made me think that a second season could find them in Schmigadoon based on 70s/80s musicals.

Yes! That's a great idea and I can totally see it! I hope this happens.

The show's creator says he would like a second season and his idea is still with Josh and Melissa in it, so hopefully it happens. Apparently we didn't see them cross the bridge for a reason. I like the idea of them crossing and winding up in a "dark musical" universe, ala Cabaret or A Chorus Line or Fame (not quite a musical, but still kind of one).

Maybe they could parody 80's dance movies. I feel like it's harder to do dance numbers without professionals though. You can even tell in this season when they attempted it. Having such talented and skilled performers were the key to why old musicals were good, especially the dancing.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

Damn, if that didn't work. 

Can't say I was fully confident it would. 

My proposal for season 2.  Characters from Schmigadoon start popping up in modern New York. 

Or don't have one at all.  Maybe this should be enough. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Apparently we didn't see them cross the bridge for a reason.

See, I assumed we didn't see it because its FAR more on message if we have to take it on faith that they loved each other. 

I won't be happy if we don't see it because it didn't work. 

Them going to another musical town is an interesting idea, but seems like punishment for their success.  

I'd rather that there was no season 2 and this was self-contained, OR they play with a totally related but different set of tropes by having that crossing be exactly as expected, but some time later, characters from Schmigadoon somehow wind up in modern, real world New York. Being all Schmigadoony, and maybe causing that behavior to spread.  Our protagonists here would only be side characters, and a pair of other modern New Yorkers would be the leads, but because its their own setting, dealing with this behavior from a different perspective.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Schmigadoon! EP Reveals Season 1 Episode Order Was Trimmed — What Was Left on the Cutting Room Floor?

Schmigadoon series co-creator Cinco Paul revealed that:

The show was originally 8 episodes, but the order was reduced to 6 episodes, which might explain why things felt rushed. Read article for cut story lines.

“My concept for the show has always involved more than one season”

Thank you - this helps a lot !

I just finished watching and I loved every minute of this silly show!  I am torn on whether or not there should be a second season — this one was so good, I’d hate to have it ruined by a less-good sequel.  

I haven’t read all the things y’all linked to, but I will!  I’m sure I missed some references.

Alan Cumming was a delight, as usual, and the woman who played the school marm was fantastic.  Did everyone except Our Heroes always wear the same clothes?

I think my favorite song was the sex talk song.

• Love 6
On 8/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, Browncoat said:

the woman who played the school marm was fantastic

Quoting myself because I now know who she is, having recently seen West Side Story.  She's amazing in that as well!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Really? I can’t really think where else this could go unless it’s a brand new couple…

At least it will be really "cheap" since they won't have to make any new sets, wardrobes, or props.

• LOL 1

‘Schmigadoon!’ Renewed for Season 2 at Apple With Tituss Burgess and Patrick Page Added to Cast

Tituss Burgess and Patrick Page have joined the cast.

Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key and other cast members from Season 1 will return.

After Melissa Gimble and Josh Skinner find true love, Season 2 finds them in Schmicago, the world of 60’s and 70’s musicals. I guess they will have to completely redo the sets, wardrobes, and props.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Schmigadoon! Season 2 will be 6 episodes, with a two episode Premiere on Friday, April 7, 2023 on Apple TV+.   

Josh and Melissa end up in Schmicago, the world of ’60s and ’70s musicals.

schmigadoon-season-2-photo.jpg
Keegan-Michael Key
schmigadoon-season-2-photo-4.jpg
Cecily Strong
schmigadoon-season-2-photo-3.jpg
Dove Cameron
schmigadoon-season-2-photo-2.jpg

Tituss Burgess
Patrick Page 
Ariana DeBose
Martin Short
Jaime Camil
Kristin Chenoweth
Alan Cumming
Ann Harada
Jane Krakowski
Aaron Tveit

• Like 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Isn’t Netflix the only streamer that’s drops all episodes at once? It seems the others do once a week…

I don't see why it should be a problem for episodes to be released weekly. If you like to take time to enjoy each episode and anticipate the next one it's ideal and you don't have to avoid spoilers. If you prefer to binge you can wait until they have all been released and catch up.

• Like 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Isn’t Netflix the only streamer that’s drops all episodes at once? It seems the others do once a week…

Prime Video, Hulu and Peacock do it both ways.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 2

Yes, Apple+ is very annoying to drop an episode a week on all their shows. Sometimes I wish that I waited until the whole season dropped so I am able to binge, but binging isn’t the healthiest thing to do either. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1

Keegan-Michael Key as Josh Skinner
Cecily Strong as Melissa Gimble
Dove Cameron as Jenny Banks
Fred Armisen as Reverend Howard Layton
Jaime Camil as Sergeant Rivera
Kristin Chenoweth as Miss Coldwell
Alan Cumming as Dooley Flint
Ariana DeBose as Emcee
Ann Harada as Madam Frau
Jane Krakowski as Bobbie Flanagan
Martin Short as Leprechaun
Aaron Tveit as Topher
Tituss Burgess as Narrator
Patrick Page as Octavius Kratt

OMG. I just finished binging all six episodes of Schmigadoon! and I'm so excited that the new season is starting this Friday. Talk about perfect timing. My only worry is that the second season won't live up to the first, which was just shy of sheer perfection.

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I believe the first 2 eps come out tomorrow actually!

I wonder if this is like Ted Lasso, which (so far) has been available at 9pm et the day before the “official” date. Maybe that’s how all Apple shows are, I don’t actually know. 

ETA: as of 9 pm eastern (Tuesday), both Schmigadoon and Ted Lasso have new episodes up. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schmigadoon! Season 2      April 5, 2023   Apple TV+   

Episodes 1-2      Titles and Descriptions 

Spoiler

S02.E01: Welcome to Schmicago
schmigadoon-season-2-1080x720.jpg.webp
schmiga5-1080x720.jpg.webp
Feeling joyless in the real world, Josh and Melissa attempt to return to Schmigadoon but instead find themselves in the darker world of Schmicago.

S02.E02: Doorway to Where
schmiga6-1080x720.jpg.webp
As Josh makes a new friend in jail, Melissa hires a lawyer and goes undercover to clear his name.

I just watched the new episodes 1 and 2.  Gotta say, they are darker!  I didn't pick up on the songs as quickly as I did in Schmigadoon, but I'm not as familiar with some of these musicals ('Pippin' and that genre).  Can't wait to see the analyses on 'Broadway by Ghostlight' and other sources.  Hmm. 

• Like 2

O! M! G! 

so I'm obsessed with this show, and this era of musicals is really more my speed! I was worried that Josh and Melissa hadn't really worked out their issues, but it's a musical!! so I let that go. 

The best part of this show is that you can tell everyone on it is loving it all the time and that love drives the show and is palpable to the viewer. 

I loved Josh and Melissa's little Schmigadoon outfits at the beginning.  

Dove Cameron would be a sensational Sally Bowles. She was the highlight of these two eps for me. I love that it's such a different vibe but still is the same show. 

Also the I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!! lady is goals and who I want to be when I grow up. 

Dove Cameron's solo number in ep 1 and the trio in ep 2 are my favourite songs so far. 

I hope Playbill outlines all the references again this season; those were a godsend in s1!

• Like 2

So far so good. I didn't love the opening number "Welcome to Schmicago" but I do love Tituss Burgess. Big Kimmy Schmidt fan. My favorite number was the "Hey Big Spender" parody. Are you shocked? Because we're trying really hard. I have a tattoo! I like boys and girls! I've experienced an orgasm - the female kind! So shocking! By 1960s standards that is.

Also loved the prison number when Bobbie Flanagan walked in. What an intro! Wowza wowza wow! I love that we're getting more of Jane Krakowski this season. Also, Ariana DeBose is super hot as the Emcee.

Can't decide if Topher is supposed to be from Hair or Godspell. I think more Hair but the face painting is more Godspell.

What's weird is that Chicago and Cabaret both take place in the 30s but these musicals are from the 60s so I'm not sure what era this is supposed to actually be. It looks like the 30s with the exception of the hippies.

The press conference was hilarious with the Newsie holding up the paper with the headline the minute Josh said something.

I've no doubt I'll be watching both of these again.

• Like 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Dove Cameron's solo number in ep 1 and the trio in ep 2 are my favourite songs so far. 

Adored Bustin' Out with the trio (which reminded me a lot of Pennies from Heaven), Did We Shock You, and the jail song when Bobby walked in. I was also delighted to notice that they used the season 1 tunes from  With All of Your Heart and Suddenly as incidental music.

Very pleased with the setup and the murder plot so far. I like the fact that Josh and Melissa are on the same page even if they're sad. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Is the I'll Drink to That lady a specific reference? I keep thinking Drowsy Chaperone but that's not the right era.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Is the I'll Drink to That lady a specific reference? I keep thinking Drowsy Chaperone but that's not the right era.

Ladies who lunch? Sondheim, Company. Right era I think

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Yes! I’ll Drink to That lady is Joanne from Company, vodka stinger and everything! 

31 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was also delighted to notice that they used the season 1 tunes from  With All of Your Heart and Suddenly as incidental music.

The use of tunes from season 1 as instrumentals is genius bc its so grounding.  Its like “this is the same show even if many things are different.” 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The choreography so far this season is everything.

I, for one, am shocked by it.

Just remembered one other thing that delighted me -- the one audition dancer whose backstory was clearly Liesl von Trapp. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
And another thing!
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2