Type keyword(s) to search

Schmigadoon! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

rscb23-1

Schmigadoon! is a six-episode musical comedy series executive produced by Lorne Michaels and starring Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key. It will debut on Friday, July 16 with two episodes followed by one episode each week on Friday.

Schmigadoon!, a parody of iconic Golden Age musicals, stars Strong and Key as a couple named Melissa (who loves musicals) and Josh (who is not fond of musicals), on a backpacking trip designed to reinvigorate their relationship who discover a magical town living in a 1940s musical. They then learn that they can't leave until they find "true love." The first season also stars Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth, Aaron Tveit, Dove Cameron, Ariana DeBose, Fred Armisen, Jaime Camil, Jane Krakowski, Ann Harada and Martin Short.

Cumming plays the town’s mayor, Mayor Menlove, while Harada stars as his oblivious wife. Armisen, meanwhile, shows up as a religious leader, with Chenoweth portraying his busybody wife. Tveit plays the town’s bad boy carnival ride operator, who is trying to woo Melissa, while Cameron plays a farmer’s daughter smitten with Josh. Camil stars as the town’s cold-hearted doctor and Krakowski as his musical diva wife. Martin Short plays a leprechaun.

Schmigadoon! is co-created by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio. Cinco Paul serves as showrunner, and wrote all of the original songs for the series.

Schmigadoon.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

062521_Comedy_Series_Schmigadoon_New_Tra

021921_Schmigadoon_Cecily_Keegan_Apple_B

ngcb23

schmigadoon.png?resize=1536,872

Schmigadoon-1014x570.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
On 7/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, SnarkShark said:

This looks totally ridiculous.  I love it. 

I have watched the first episode twice now and I really enjoyed it. Lots of obvious allusions to golden age musicals with a fun cast. Not reading any reviews because I don't want to be spoiled. 

I did have a weird feeling about the end credits and eventually figured that it was because they looked too much like Law & Order.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I've been so pumped for this - watched the trailer, and saw Keegan Michael Key talk about it on Colbert this week.  As a lifelong musical geek, then, after seeing the first two episodes, I'm loving it big time.  Little single lines zip by that need to be thought about later, which is fun.  The songs are so interesting, having the skeletons of songs from the old musicals but then after a few bars they wander off.  Fascinating, and it is really great, if this is your thing.

Also as an Aaron Tveit fan, I was pretty delighted with his two (so far) songs.  

It will be fun watching the whole thing evolve! 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I watched the first two episodes yesterday and really enjoyed them. And I say this as someone who doesn't really like musicals. Or at least movie musicals; I can handle less than half an hour of singing. I'm interested to see what happens between Cecily Strong and Keegan Michael Key (I don't remember character names yet) because they broke way earlier in the season than I was expecting.

• Love 1

I really liked the scene of how the two of them getting together was demonstrated. It was simple, yet charming. Obvious but well-executed.

I wish we got a visual of the corn pudding. After all that singing about it, I was curious.

In the second episode, I liked how they did the breakup scene it was well-acted in an over-the-top sort of way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I really liked the scene of how the two of them getting together was demonstrated. It was simple, yet charming. Obvious but well-executed.

I wish we got a visual of the corn pudding. After all that singing about it, I was curious.

In the second episode, I liked how they did the breakup scene it was well-acted in an over-the-top sort of way.

I assumed it was the creamed-corn style goop that the guy in the chef's hat was stirring in the oversized pot. I was kinda grateful we didn't see any more of it. 🤢

corn puddin.JPG

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

after a year + of drudgery and monotony, this show is exactly what I need. 

I watched both episodes twice, and the colours! the costumes! the choreo! (High kicks!! THE HIGH KICKS!!) the lyrics! The people behind it are clearly having a lot of fun, and it shows. 

I like how they showed Josh and Melissa getting together, their lovely year anniversary, and then directly into the fact that their relationship is stagnant. 

Kristin Chenoweth is perfectly suited to the villian role, as Aaron Tveit is suited to the role of Town Rapscallion. I can't wait to see other characters that were in the trailer and haven't been introduced yet. (Looking right at you, Jane Krakowski.) 

This show is fucking STACKED with talent and I'm excited to see where it goes.

• Like 1
  • Love 15

Kudos to the songwriters, who nail the specifics of the golden era songs. Aaron Tveit's bad boy anthem 'You Can't Tame Me', complete with change of tempo "but if someone could" verse, would sit unchallenged in any Rogers & Hammerstein show, as would the completely silly, time filler 'Corn Puddin''.

The only thing that disappoints me is that the show is only going to have six episodes; I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck in a time loop rewatching this for a long time and, frankly, I don't care to know what can break that particular spell.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

My Facebook sometimes offers me items from 'Playbill', articles about theater.  This morning I got an article by two very serious theater geeks reviewing 'Schmigadoon' and breaking down every reference they found to the Broadway sources.  (I remember they noted the names of all the farmer's seven daughters, which may or may not all have come from musicals.)  Serious geekery and musical knowledge.  

I'm sorry I'm not techy enough to put the link here, but if someone else is, and finds it and can do that, please do -- and Thank you !

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Chippings said:

My Facebook sometimes offers me items from 'Playbill', articles about theater.  This morning I got an article by two very serious theater geeks reviewing 'Schmigadoon' and breaking down every reference they found to the Broadway sources.  (I remember they noted the names of all the farmer's seven daughters, which may or may not all have come from musicals.)  Serious geekery and musical knowledge.  

I'm sorry I'm not techy enough to put the link here, but if someone else is, and finds it and can do that, please do -- and Thank you !

I tried!

I think this is the one you want from Playbill (The seven daughters names went by me so fast, on both watches. I only got Tootie, the youngest from Meet Me in St Louis.) 

And here's from from Vanity Fair, bc who can resist? (not me.)

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I tried!

I think this is the one you want from Playbill (The seven daughters names went by me so fast, on both watches. I only got Tootie, the youngest from Meet Me in St Louis.) 

And here's from from Vanity Fair, bc who can resist? (not me.)

Perfect! and thank you.  The Vanity Fair piece noticed references that had gotten by me, so I especially enjoyed that.  Who can  resist indeed.   So much to appreciate.

(In a way, it reminds me of 'Hamilton' in that you cannot take in all the details in just one viewing or listening.  Maybe not quite as dense as 'Hamilton', but in the ballpark.)    

Thanks again!  

• Love 1

Odd reactions that I had:  Melissa took a dress when she was going camping?  They were too cheap, or too honest to the stage, to use CGI to turn Martin Short into the leprechaun.   They just put the camera way above him looking down.  I think I would hate corn pudding - best it stays in Schmigadoon.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, apparently Josh had a whole Schmigadoon-appropriate outfit in his backpack, including high-waisted pants, suspenders, and a gold bow tie :) ETA: And if I'm not mistaken, a bowler hat!

Edited by littlepaw
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, littlepaw said:

Well, apparently had a whole Schmigadoon-appropriate outfit in his backpack, including high-waisted pants, suspenders, and a gold bow tie :) ETA: And if I'm not mistaken, a bowler hat!

Maybe he raided the hotel's "lost and found" box.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I think I would hate corn pudding - best it stays in Schmigadoon.

I love corn pudding. It's sweet enough to eat as a dessert. The best is made with bourbon (of course, everything is better made with bourbon!).

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I had been waiting to see this since I read it was coming.  I forgot it was on Apple, so I spent about 10 minutes yelling “SCHMIGADOOOOOONNN!!! “ into my remote thinking it was on Netflix.  I’m sure they neighbors were wondering if I was having a stroke.

But once I figured it out, any embarrassment was worth it!  LOVED both episodes!  I set a reminder for Friday’s to catch new episodes ASAP.

I’m not a theater nerd, but I grew up watching classic musical movies with my grandmother.  I did catch a lot of this parody’s references, so it was fun to pick them out.

I will watch Keegan-Michael Key and Cecily Strong in anything.  I can’t believe how Broadway loaded this cast is. Thank goodness Apple (and other streaming networks) have the stacks of cash to make these gems happen.  Regular broadcast networks should be very afraid.  Stop giving us retreads and reboots!  More original content, and for the love of God, no more Law & Order: (insert branch of law/order here), CSI: (insert gritty city here), or Chicago: (insert first responder job here).

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

How is this town full of Hot People? 

How do I get there?

I hated Josh this episode. Of course he'd choose the laziest way, and THATS NOT HOW TRUE LOVE WORKS! You needa connection, friend!!!

Loved the "you done tamed me" reprise (but, as an Aaron Stan, I hope this isn't the last of Danny Bailey!) and Melissa's enjoy the ride reprise!

The cross the bridge one seemed like a filler but was fun (and I really wanted them to tap! The Charleston but had me longing for a time i too could Charleston) If we go three more episodes with no tap number im gonna be so mad 

• LOL 1
(edited)

S01.E01: Schmigadoon!

Melissa and Josh stumble upon the strange musical town of Schmigadoon - and are shocked to learn they can't leave until they find true love.

Schmigadoon_Photo_010108_photo_thumbnail

Premiere Date: July 16, 2021

S01.E02: Lovers’ Spat

After realizing that they can't leave together, Josh and Melissa break up and start looking for romance around town.

Schmigadoon_Photo_010203_photo_thumbnail

Premiere Date: July 16, 2021

S01.E03: Cross That Bridge

When their first flings end in regret, Melissa and Josh agree to a new plan—which he immediately casts aside, prompting her to make a fresh start.

Schmigadoon_Photo_010301_photo_thumbnail

Premiere Date: July 23, 2021

S01.E04: Suddenly

Melissa grapples with her conflicted feelings for Doc Lopez, rebelling against his archaic ideas, while Josh ties to court Emma the schoolmarm.

Schmigadoon_Photo_010402_photo_thumbnail

Schmigadoon_Photo_010401_photo_thumbnail

Premiere Date: July 30, 2021

Edited by AnimeMania
26 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I hated Josh this episode. Of course he'd choose the laziest way, and THATS NOT HOW TRUE LOVE WORKS! You needa connection, friend!!!

Why so surprised though?  They just spent two episodes comedically telling us he's a bit of a jerk. 

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I hated Josh this episode.

I felt so bad for Melissa dancing by herself in the flashback; she looked so uncomfortable even before the significant others joined them. If someone you care about is forced to make a fool out of themselves, you get up there and make a fool out of yourself too. It's like people who "hate going to funerals;" well, yeah man, no one enjoys going to them, but you show up for the people you love.

That scene clearly struck a nerve, lol.

Poor Mrs. Menlove and Danny Bailey. But if I had drank as much gentlemen's punch as Melissa, I would have stuck around for breakfast.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Why so surprised though?  They just spent two episodes comedically telling us he's a bit of a jerk. 

I'm still allowed to not like it lmao. 

6 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

Poor Mrs. Menlove and Danny Bailey. But if I had drank as much gentlemen's punch as Melissa, I would have stuck around for breakfast

god, that breakfast looked amazing. 

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Harvey said:

Ouch. That line about IKEA really hit home. That thing is a freaking maze I simply refuse to enter anymore. 

At least in my local one, they have secret shortcuts that jump from near the front of the maze to near the end. 

• Useful 2

Add "He's A Queer One" to the list of perfect songs this show is gifting us. I'm glad Ann Harada was given such a great moment [and Cecily's cut aways were hilarious].

The only complaint I have is we're halfway through the season and still no Jane Krakowski. I'm a Krak addict and I need my fix!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Well that's three episodes down and three to go.   I was wondering if they could sustain the story for six, but it looks as if they can.

Laughed out loud at some of the references and I'm sure there are some I missed.  One good element is that, altho I thought I was pretty conversant with Broadway performers, I am discovering new ones.  I looked up Ann Harada after her song, and she sure has a long and impressive career.   This is turning out to be an even more impressive cast than I'd known.  Is it next Friday yet?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

The only complaint I have is we're halfway through the season and still no Jane Krakowski. I'm a Krak addict and I need my fix!!

I can say that she will definitely be in Episode 5.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Chippings said:

I looked up Ann Harada after her song, and she sure has a long and impressive career. 

If anybody ever watched the TV show, "Smash", she was the production assistant in that show.

• Love 3

Three episodes in and Kristin Chenoweth hasn't had a solo yet? What are these writers and producers thinking?!

Other than that, I'm enjoying this. Even if the boyfriend seems like an ass to an unrealistic extend and I don't know why she hasn't dumped his ass years ago...

• Love 7