Type keyword(s) to search

2021 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp

Uk-Eve
  • Start Topic

I'm fine with a long training camp so long as it is exactly that: A training camp.

I'm quite sure they're able to decide on the final team within 2 weeks. And they could add a few weeks of training to build the actual team and work on the dances.  Most viewers would be perfectly happy with such a format and the girls would be grateful.

But no, for the sake of drama, we do one lengthy elimination show, with preferably another cut or two with the finish line in sight (final night). That's just cruel.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Opine said:

I didn’t hear them call her a legacy once.  Did y’all?

The previous time she tried out there was a clip where she said she didn't really consider herself a legacy until she made the team. Perhaps it hasn't been mentioned for that reason.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 9/18/2021 at 1:26 PM, UnicornKicksBack said:

Love Claire. She's perfection.

Also calling BS on Melissa Rycroft having no clue Maddie was retiring after FIVE years. But every word out of MRs mouth since her rookie season has basically been BS. 

I was checking the dates just in case the first night of TC was after Maddie made her farewell IG.   Maddie’s farewell IG was posted a few weeks before auditions.  So Melissa was either living in a cave, or she is a better actress than I thought.

23 hours ago, StellaCL said:

I caught that. I think some of the previews or interviews out there said "52" but in the middle of last night's episode Kelli says "51." What did I just hear?  Post editing, no doubt. It does make me wonder if they are going to ignore Amanda's departure all together, or some other TCC/DCC. 

There were 27 vets and 25 TCC, so it looks like Amanda is ghosted out, and now there are 51 ladies in TC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, LilyD said:

I guess you're right for about 95% of the veterans. But over the years we have seen quite a few examples of veterans who did not live up to the dance/professional/weight standards of the DCC (Morgan, Breelan, Kyra and a few veterans with very obvious weight gain come to mind). The finals give TPTB the chance to take out those weaker links (and yes I know, to make some unfair cuts too, but won't go there now)

And then there is another question: There's not much time between finals and TC. If you're not fit to compete at finals, will you be ready at TC? An injury like Danielle's foot would have healed in time but I doubt skipping finals would have saved Daphne's ACLs and thus made a difference.

PS a note on my weight gain comment: Not intended to body shame as I agree with most on this board that the DCC has a very unhealthy weight standard. But there have been stories of girls who came back  10-15 pounds heavier than the year before. And every DCC knows that this is deemed completely unacceptable in the DCC world (that is, unless you're called Victoria) and could lead to being cut.

I doubt Daphne would have been ready fo perform this season, even if they had given her a pass.  Since she ruptured her other ACL a few days into TC, it became a moot point.  Both Brooke and Cassie had surgery before TC started so there would have been a chance they could perform with the team, and I think they both did.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

I enjoyed as well! Racism and domestic violence, while obviously tough topics, are so worthy of highlight and discussion. 

I loved Maggie during her tenure on the team, but I was getting a little jaded over the psoriasis and scoliosis comeback stories. One of my closest friends struggles with psoriasis and my dad had scoliosis resulting in nerve damage. I don’t want to downplay either of those two obstacles but this year’s highlights felt less forced.  

I also enjoyed having more dancing time and basically jumping into ‘finals’ in the stadium venue. Felt clear, fresh and exciting for me but I know others missed prelims/semi-finals build up. 

My biggest reservations on the season are whether they’re going to address Victoria and Amanda. I hope they choose to. The way they handled Erica’s departure was so awkward and bizarre. 

I’ve got seriously high hopes of watching Madeline, Tori and Ashlinn come back and dominate as well as getting to know the other new ladies better. 

Edit: Another poster highlighted this, but fascinating Caroline is mentioned as potential point material and then gets moved further back in the triangle?

I think Amanda has already been “Erica’d” out.  They kept saying there were 51 in TC, but they started with 27 vets and 25 TC, which still adds up to 52 when I do the math.

Since Victoria left before the TC started, and her reasons were personal, I would be surprised if they addressed it.  But I have been wrong befor.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Christineelgene said:

I think Amanda has already been “Erica’d” out.  They kept saying there were 51 in TC, but they started with 27 vets and 25 TC, which still adds up to 52 when I do the math.

Since Victoria left before the TC started, and her reasons were personal, I would be surprised if they addressed it.  But I have been wrong befor.

Finding out why VK left is the only reason I'm watching this season. The petty side of me really wants to know. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Christineelgene said:

Both Brooke and Cassie had surgery before TC started so there would have been a chance they could perform with the team

Brooke had her surgery right before the squad photo.

• Love 1

Maybe bit controversial but I kinda miss the boards! I know last years were edited to fit the narrative, but I like seeing how everyone ranks from beginning to the end of the process. Hopefully we will get some in the coming episodes 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Meleighsa said:

Oof! LMAO! 

I haven't rewatched the episode, but did they give Ashlee a shoutout for closing the showcase? I love her more and more.

No, she was shown placed in the middle of the other solos. Gina got a mention as first on but not Ashlee as last solo.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Meleighsa said:

That's what I thought. :-(

Just went back and checked and Gina was wearing number 1 and went first. Ashlee must have been last on. Being last and first are usually big compliments. Jenna, Kashara, Maddie and Amy have danced in those slots at auditions in recent years.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, PomPomPom said:

Just went back and checked and Gina was wearing number 1 and went first. Ashlee must have been last on. Being last and first are usually big compliments. Jenna, Kashara, Maddie and Amy have danced in those slots at auditions in recent years.

I find it a bit ridiculous that first and last are significant. There are so many talented women and they all have different strengths. These two are just special, UGH, I dislike that ridiculous kind of favoritism. They couldn't have a great team without the talents of the other 34. Always keep in mind the DCC are lucky to attract and keep the talent and character of these women, not the other way around 🤷‍♀️

• Love 3

Finally getting around to posting my observations about the 1st episode. I know that there have been some mixed reactions about the new format of not having the whole multi-day audition process, but I'm kind of good with it in that we are skipping interviews with girls who get cut right away & not wasting screen time on watching the less coordinated try out. I would much rather that episode time go to other things we used to see in seasons past like the fitness tests or team bonding. I do get why they are using the stadium though because it does allow them to spread out more and given them open space while providing protection from the weather.

After hearing how Kelli hurt her foot I truly sympathize with her. As a long time dog owner, I am very familiar with how easy it is to slip on those dog bones. If your foot lands on one at just the right angle on a floor that's tile, laminate or vinyl, you might as well be wearing ice skates. Luckily I have never broken anything, but even just stepping on one is painful. And yes you can pick them up, but I've had dogs who, after watching me put their toys away, they march up to the toy basket, grab the toy and then spit it out while giving me a look that says "I like my toys out where it's easy to get to them" indicating that I'm fighting a losing battle.

I don't get why they are calling the solos the "Judges Showcase" like they are trying to market it as some brand new part of the audition process. I was sitting there watching and going "umm no this is the same old solo section that we see in the semifinals." Also I was so glad that Kat got rid of that cane right away although I think the period to make a joke about it had passed. If she had done it last year coming off her rookie season, the joke would have been more relevant, but doing it now seemed a bit more like an attention grab. And while her dance was great, the styling of her look was still too lazy for me. Also, loved Daphne's solo, but my heart just breaks knowing that she leaves soon and that doing it and the kick line at auditions probably made her knee worse.

Whoever said that bit about how Melissa Rycroft's reaction to Maddie being gone was ridiculous, I'm totally with you. It is not believable for two reasons: One, if she's as big a Maddie fan as she claims, it stands to reason that she would follow her on social media and would have seen Maddie's retirement announcement. And two, Melissa has many connections to the DCC organization so she certainly had plenty of opportunities to hear about it from others. Also, we've all known about it for months so it's not logical that she had no clue.

All the comeback girls looked amazing, particularly Madeline S. I mean I already thought she looked great the first year she tried out, but this year she's just extra polished. Maybe its good Victoria is not there this year because next to Madeline, she'd be outshined.

I noticed on here a few people talking about how it seems like Amanda is being "Erica'ed out" (just found out Christineelgene used that first so I salute her) and I'm kind of thinking the same thing. From the discrepancy with the numbers of those in training camp to almost no screentime for her, it's the only thing that makes sense. However, I think it's a mistake to go that route because it makes things look underhanded. Now I'm not saying that they need to dwell on her departure and the reasons for it, but I think they should still show her as being there and then, when she leaves, be up front with the reason why, say goodbye and move on.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. All in all, it was a good start.

Edited by Bellisima08
Left something out.
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Christineelgene said:

I was checking the dates just in case the first night of TC was after Maddie made her farewell IG.   Maddie’s farewell IG was posted a few weeks before auditions.  So Melissa was either living in a cave, or she is a better actress than I thought.

Or she didn't give a damnit at all about knowing what any of them do or did.

1 hour ago, Bellisima08 said:

Amanda is being Erica'ed out

Phrase of the season--Erica'ed out!  Brilliant.  Not sure what your prize is though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Bellisima08 said:

I noticed on here a few people talking about how it seems like Amanda is being Erica'ed out and I'm kind of thinking the same thing. From the discrepancy with the numbers of those in training camp to almost no screentime for her, it's the only thing that makes sense. However, I think it's a mistake to go that route because it makes things look underhanded. Now I'm not saying that they need to dwell on her departure and the reasons for it, but I think they should still show her as being there and then, when she leaves, be up front with the reason why, say goodbye and move on.

They don't even really have to say why (though it'd be nice). Just acknowledging that she tried out & started camp but chose to leave would be better than trying to pretend she was never there.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, StellaCL said:

I find it a bit ridiculous that first and last are significant. There are so many talented women and they all have different strengths. These two are just special, UGH, I dislike that ridiculous kind of favoritism. They couldn't have a great team without the talents of the other 34. Always keep in mind the DCC are lucky to attract and keep the talent and character of these women, not the other way around 🤷‍♀️

If you check back through the seasons at finals solos this is mentioned on several occasions and seems to be one of the "badges of honour" the girls get. Ashlee was being recognised in a nice way BUT the Amanda senario seems to have required it to be edited out but not the number 52!

• Love 2

It would've been nice if they had done a tribute to all the retired veterans but that would mean they would have had to address Victoria and Amanda's absence so there was no way we could've gotten a farewell from the retired vets. 

And although the Maddie segment was ridiculous I guess it was necessary because for light viewers who don't follow her Instagram this is where they get to know that Maddie has retired.  

Edited by Kamal
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Manc.UK.DCCfan said:

I’m tempted to go and trawl her retirement post to see if MRS reacted to it…

She did. She commented on Maddie’s May 18th retirement post. I have no idea if that was before or after the “judges showcase” though. 

• Useful 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, KnyghtRyder said:

She did. She commented on Maddie’s May 18th retirement post. I have no idea if that was before or after the “judges showcase” though. 

I know, I found it now, so it was posted at the time of her retirement announcement along with everyone else’s comments so she knew before filming started.

4C75A20C-A9E6-448A-BB89-9884C6119937.png

• Useful 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Kamal said:

It would've been nice if they had done a tribute to all the retired veterans but that would mean they would have had to address Victoria and Amanda's absence so there was no way we could've gotten a farewell from the retired vets. 

I honestly don't understand why that's not just a standard part of the show, just like solos, first night of camp, etc.  It should definitely be a short segment right before they start showing vets competing with the new candidates.  Even if it's just a short blip of "we have X returning candidates and several retiring, including XYZ."  They can show the exact same pics/info as they do on the instagram page.  And they can easily ignore anyone they want to ignore, like the VK situation and Amanda since they didn't officially "retire" and left after that official cut off.

It's not like this show doesn't have a history of just ignoring elephants in the room if they don't want to talk about something, like Erica.  Or they can overdramatize a personal situation like Courtney, who should have just been able to quietly disappear since it served no purpose other than drama.  They didn't give enough info for it to be a PSA.  Casual viewers of the show might be curious where their favorites went but mostly won't care, and if they have questions it's easy enough to google and find this platform or others.  

Silly show.  Sheesh.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 22

The Melissa-Judy conversation just seemed fake all around. Maddie was a senior year vet, so why would it be surprising in the first place that she would’ve retired? Very few vets stay past 5 years. However, even if Maddie had decided to retire at the absolute last minute, I don’t buy that Melissa would’ve found out while walking onto the field. It just seemed like they wanted to do a Maddie segment, and I’m not sure why. I liked Maddie well enough, but it’s not like the DCCs lost the best dancer that they ever had.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Maddie was a senior year vet, so why would it be surprising in the first place that she would’ve retired? Very few vets stay past 5 years.

When I was in college, we called anyone who took 5 years to graduate "Super Seniors" 😄 

Which really doesn't mean anything in the context of Maddie being a senior year vet...it just reminded me of Super Seniors (and I wish my own senior year could have lasted forever) ♥️

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, MegzClarkie said:

Maybe bit controversial but I kinda miss the boards! I know last years were edited to fit the narrative, but I like seeing how everyone ranks from beginning to the end of the process. Hopefully we will get some in the coming episodes 

Agree 100%. The first year they did this I thought it was super helpful. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Phrase of the season--Erica'ed out!  Brilliant.  Not sure what your prize is though.

LOL! Thanks although I can't take credit for it as I'd seen it used before. I do agree it's brilliant so kudos to Christineelgene (who I just found out used that first).

Edited by Bellisima08
Giving credit
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Manc.UK.DCCfan said:

I know, I found it now, so it was posted at the time of her retirement announcement along with everyone else’s comments so she knew before filming started.

4C75A20C-A9E6-448A-BB89-9884C6119937.png

First off, excellent detective work!! I love that you went looking for this. Secondly, I didn't think it was possible for me to have less respect for & be more annoyed by Melissa, but I stand corrected. I mean does she not realize that stuff like that at the least makes her look stupid (if she made the argument that she forgot) or at the worst fake (because she did in fact know)? She could have very easily just said a little something in the talking head segment before solos about how she's going to miss her favorite soloist since Maddie retired, but she's sure Maddie has a bright future, but noooo! Melissa and Judy cooked up a little side convo where Melissa lets out a big old gasp of shock and is like "what? No! Oh my God!" Such fakeness is unnecessary & totally undermines her credibility.

Edited by Bellisima08
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, kalibean said:

I honestly don't understand why that's not just a standard part of the show, just like solos, first night of camp, etc.  It should definitely be a short segment right before they start showing vets competing with the new candidates.  Even if it's just a short blip of "we have X returning candidates and several retiring, including XYZ."  They can show the exact same pics/info as they do on the instagram page.

I agree there should be some segment that shows which veterans have left in the first episode. I know in some past seasons like Kashara's last year and the year Jinelle & Jenna retired they showed some goodbyes from the vets and I recall it happening more often in the earlier seasons. Even if it was just showing the pictures of those who are leaving would be good to remind us as I sometimes tend to forget who has left between the time they release their statements to when the show premieres.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Bellisima08 said:

First off, excellent detective work!! I love that you went looking for this. Secondly, I didn't think it was possible for me to have less respect for & be more annoyed by Melissa, but I stand corrected. I mean does she not realize that stuff like that at the least makes her look stupid (if she made the argument that she forgot) or at the worst fake (because she did in fact know). She could have very easily just said a little something in the talking head segment before solos about how she's going to miss her favorite soloist since Maddie retired, but she's sure Maddie has a bright future, but noooo! Melissa and Judy cooked up a little side convo where Melissa lets out a big old gasp of shock and is like "what? No! Oh my God!" Such fakeness is unnecessary & totally undermines her credibility.

I honestly think it was a CMT MTT producer decision to recreate what might have been an authentic conversation between Judy and Melissa that CMT wasn’t there to film. I saw the clip and it just looked forced. Maybe Judy and Melissa had that same conversation -  organically - at some point.  And then the producers came in and said, “Let’s recreate that! But make it awkward! While walking to judging. And while you can literally see the girls on the field. Don’t worry about the viewers - they aren’t going to notice!”  

My co-worker was on a reality show at his previous job. I actually asked him recently about it. He said the producers would literally have them recreate conversations they had weeks prior because the original footage wasn’t what they wanted. Or they weren’t there for the initial conversation/phone call but they’d be there to film the follow up and they’d ask them to recreate what led up to that moment. They even went out and bought him a shirt *nearly* identical to the one he wore the day they wanted to recreate for additional footage because he couldn’t find the original shirt. So the producer went out and bought a lookalike one. And he said they ended up filming him at his desk from the collar up so you couldn’t see the difference. Even though the original conversation they were recreating did not take place at his desk. The content of the conversation was the same - just how it unfolded wasn’t authentic. If that makes sense. 

Edited by KnyghtRyder
  • Useful 13
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, vanillagum said:

Lol what song is this? Or you just hate it from the video? 

Elli's great but this solo was choppy and pseudo low-energy imo...but I give her huge props for doing a style other than "contemporary writhing on the floor with some splits in the air sprinkled in"

Song in the video. Looks like an empty stage area so is she rehearsing? Still better than Maddie.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UnicornKicksBack said:

My God she is gorgeous. Also blows Maddie out of the water in hip hop/jazz. Why are we not calling Elli a hip hop phenom? Y'all know why.

Hate that song but she sold it.

It's not that much different from her solo in 2020. I thought I linked it as well, but here it is

2020: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJcRKZ2Brwb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I think Elli has the talent and power and projection and whatever Kelli likes to label it, but I think Maddie sells it to her audience 1000 times better. Maddie also could dance other styles - I think maybe her first 3 solos (out of 6) weren't even hip hop? Elli may also have many talents, but we as an audience, haven't been able to see much from season 15, just what has filtered through in social media clips. I have a feeling a few of the DCC will continue to get the no air time treatment this season - Elli, McKenzie, Jessica, etc.  Unfortunately that is no good for us or them - they don't earn fans or get the "Maddie" treatment even though they may be just as great, and as fans we have years of not really knowing some of these DCC, what makes them earn their spots, which just causes wanning interest all around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bellisima08 said:

First off, excellent detective work!! I love that you went looking for this. Secondly, I didn't think it was possible for me to have less respect for & be more annoyed by Melissa, but I stand corrected. I mean does she not realize that stuff like that at the least makes her look stupid (if she made the argument that she forgot) or at the worst fake (because she did in fact know)? She could have very easily just said a little something in the talking head segment before solos about how she's going to miss her favorite soloist since Maddie retired, but she's sure Maddie has a bright future, but noooo! Melissa and Judy cooked up a little side convo where Melissa lets out a big old gasp of shock and is like "what? No! Oh my God!" Such fakeness is unnecessary & totally undermines her credibility.

After Melissa flip-flopped on Hannah so badly last year, no doubt from direction post production, now with the overdone faux surprise over a Maddie retirement, it's clear she's a player for all things TPTB. Becoming such a puppy dog sell-out to her paycheck, with her extremely shiny injected face - long gone are her days as a real person with a number trying to earn a spot on DCC - I am over it. MTT please move on from MRS.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, ShutterbugCAM said:

And we thought the show was getting too manufactured before. Now they're manufacturing reactions to things that don't need one. MRS could have just commented on how sad she was about Maddie not trying out this year. That would have done the job, but nooooo, she had to go over the top and fake being shocked about it. Can't wait to see what else is needlessly manufactured this season. -_-

Thing is…I’m not sure MRS went over the top on her own. From my view, I imagine that was scripted for her to have that exact reaction. 

• Love 8