Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13 Family Is Freedom

• Start Topic

On the heels of ViCAP uncovering Alastor's secrets, Clarice is imprisoned in an animal testing facility where she finds trafficked women being held captive. ViCAP and Ardelia team up to locate Clarice as she attempts to break from her captors in a race to rescue the other women.

It was (kind of) fun while it lasted.

It started out like it was just corporate malfeasance, but damn if it didn't get just as twisted as any of Harris' stories. The show finished better than it started, but I don't feel any great loss from its passing.

• Love 6

I was really distracted by how much Clarice and Tyson Hagen looked alike. LOL. I guess everything was wrapped up, which was nice since the series was one and done. One thing, I noticed that I thought was definitely a diversity mistake was the fact that so many of women who escaped from captivity appeared to be women of color. There's no way a man like Nils Hagen would try to have heirs with nonwhite women.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

When did this air? I don’t think it was broadcast in my market.

It aired tonight. Was there something else on in your market instead?

Ugh, what a disturbing case. Quite a lot of information for Tyson to digest all at once like that...not surprising it all ended the way it did, sadly :/. 

I liked the end scene with Ardelia and Clarice, that was nice. And I'm glad they were able to rescue the girls. Good way to end the season-if they do manage to get another one, then I'll be curious to see where they go from here. If not, this wrapped everything up pretty nicely. 

• Love 4

I didn’t like the final scene with Clarice and Tyson where it seemed she was pushing him to commit suicide. I liked the show but felt it leaned too heavy on Clarice’s secrets and memories and that can’t sustain a series. 

• Love 1

If this is the end of the show, this seemed to wrap things up quite nicely. I would watch a second season, even if the show never seemed to fully live up to its potential, but this was a good finale if this was the end of the show. 

Here I was thinking that this would be some boring conspiracy involving corporate corruption, but it turns out that the bad guy was just as twisted as any other Harris villain, just with more resources. That was some messed up stuff, all those women and the ruined fetuses in jars, it was pretty intense, even if I pretty much figured out how things would play. Tyson's mom probably should have called him something without the word "son" in the name, if she wanted to escape a guy obsessed with fatherhood. Its just too thematically dangerous. 

Glad that everyone survived except for the villains, and that Clarice seems to be headed towards closure. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Closure?  I don't know about that.  She is going to need a boatload of therapy, more than two weeks off.  She induced a guy to kill himself, and still refuses to work with the therapist she has now.  I would hope the FBI keeps her off duty until she is deemed responsible again.

• Love 2

The guy asked if there was any hope for him and she just laid out the crimes he had to pay for. She pretty much did him a favor letting him kill himself, his life was over anyway.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

He was still a young man and a victim of kidnapping and grooming and abuse. People who are in law enforcement don’t get to decide someone needs to die rather than be arrested. He might have received Psychiatric care and could possibly been rehabilitated. Not Clarice’s decision that he needed to die.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

He was still a young man and a victim of kidnapping and grooming and abuse. People who are in law enforcement don’t get to decide someone needs to die rather than be arrested. He might have received Psychiatric care and could possibly been rehabilitated. Not Clarice’s decision that he needed to die.

She didn’t cause his death. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

She encouraged him to commit suicide when she didn’t have to do anything but walk away. 

She didn’t do anything either way. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And since this was a confused, abused and mentally ill young man, she could have encouraged help instead.

What was she supposed to do, hold his hand and tell him he was really a good person after all and it would all be ok since now he feels bad about kidnapping, rape and murder? He was just as evil as his father! Earlier in the episode he nonchalantly asked “You rendered her?” with no emotion at all after seeing that one of the women he kidnapped was put into the meat grinder and wondered why they didn’t burn her instead. He got off easy committing suicide.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

What was she supposed to do, hold his hand and tell him he was really a good person after all and it would all be ok since now he feels bad about kidnapping, rape and murder? He was just as evil as his father! Earlier in the episode he nonchalantly asked “You rendered her?” with no emotion at all after seeing that one of the women he kidnapped was put into the meat grinder and wondered why they didn’t burn her instead. He got off easy committing suicide.

Exactly. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And since this was a confused, abused and mentally ill young man, she could have encouraged help instead.

Sometimes, when an animal is very badly injured, it is kindest to just put it down. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

But man, there is no way lil' ol' Clarice could've done any damage to trained military guys. Rebecca Breeds is what, 5'2"?

Yeah. Her punching the guy in the previous episode was believable because he did not expect it. A sucker punch to the face can easily knock someone down. 

But this time she was physically fighting against two massive former military mercenary/bodyguard types and she kept getting in hard punches and kicks. That was total bullshit. 

3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Yeah. Her punching the guy in the previous episode was believable because he did not expect it. A sucker punch to the face can easily knock someone down. 

But this time she was physically fighting against two massive former military mercenary/bodyguard types and she kept getting in hard punches and kicks. That was total bullshit. 

She was expecting to get killed so I can see her adrenaline going nuts plus she has FBI combat training. The hired thugs were not in a life or death struggle and I assume were told to take her alive and unharmed.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why does a smaller woman kicking butt scare and anger people so much?

I don’t see anything about people being “scared.” 🙄 Dont try to create some false “misogyny” narrative here. It just felt like a scene out of a totally different show. Suddenly Clarice is an action hero who can beat up two trained military men much larger than herself. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Why does a comment on the unrealistic portrayal of a small woman kicking the arses of larger men get attributed to fear and anger?

Firstly, because it's not at all unrealistic in the real world. Secondly, because bigotry of any kind is always based in fear and anger. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

It's called not being able to suspend disbelief.

We hadn't been given any indication or backstory that she's had anything other than basic FBI self-defense. 

She's not Nikita. (Who is a total badass, BTW, in all iterations.)

Same goes for the men she fought with. And you seem to forget she didn't wipe them out to a man. She very realistically punched a guy who obviously relied on his misogynistic ego when around women, and gave a work out to two men who were under orders not to kill her. I'm not seeing why anyone with a rational, fact based view of the world needs to "suspend disbelief". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

What I don't get is if she is a trained FBI agent, why is she running away in a blind panic from the son? The dude had all the menacing presence of a baby panda.

This show was doomed from the start. Probably most of the audience who first tuned in were expecting a Criminal Minds type show where Clarice would match wits with a serial killer of the week. The first couple of episodes kind of gave the vibe of that was where the show was going. Unfortunately after that they did a complete 180 in tone and made a long drawn out story arc about an evil pharma company. Do that and a large chunk of your serial killer of the week audience is going to start to tune out. They probably should have just done a case of the week show with the bad pharma storyline running in the background along with maybe the racism in the FBI story arc. Get rid of the Catherine and corrupt father/psychobabble storylines which were a waste of time. Conclude the evil pharma story with a two parter at the end and maybe you live for another season.

• Love 2