Type keyword(s) to search

Sharknado 2: The Second One (Syfy) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ladies and gentlemen, here's the thread for Sharknado2: The Second One, the sequel to Sharknado, one of the most epic achievements in television history. It had brilliant writing and dazzling special effects! And  the acting! Not only has Tara Reid has never been better, as Fin, Ian Ziering was robbed of an Emmy nomination last year. For those who haven't seen it, Sharknado is the touching story of an estranged family who are forced to reunite to survive a storm that has attacked Los Angeles. But it's not just any storm-it's a tornado full of sharks. Fortunately, one man used his courage, his might-and a chainsaw-to defeat it.

Unfortunately, that's not the last Sharknado Fin would see. This time, another sharknado attacks New York City, but he won't have to fight it alone. This time, there'll be a bunch of C and D-list celebrities with him. Best of all, Matt Lauer and Al Roker will provide color commentary.  If there's a third one (please!), I hope it's set in outer space.

Sharknado 2 debuts on SyFy on July 30th.  I can hardly wait!

Edited by DollEyes
(edited)

Love how,April,is running around like she has a hangnail, when her hand was cut off.

Nice Twilight Zone riff on the plane at the beginning.

I can't believe that's the same Vivica Fox from Independence Day, looks so different.

Is that a real weather person who spouted the "sharks will be falling at 2 inches per hour" line? Because, more like 2 feet per hour, honey.

Of course, a Rob Ford joke. Although couldn't they find an actor who looked more like him?

A commercial message from the Vampire Council of Canada - Vee know you're rrreally into sharks rrright now, but don't forget about that other fanged menace - vampires! Snerk.

Edited by Shermie
(edited)

Twitter saved this movie. Also the casting of Ted Stryker as a pilot and Alex Rieger as the cab driver.

Ok, and the power saw hand.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 1

It just didn't seem to have the same magic the second time around, though I did appreciate the references to Airplane!, Taxi and the episode of The Twilight Zone when William Shatner sees a monster on the airplane wing (though perhaps they were referencing that same story in the Twilight Zone movie made in the 80s).

Oy, yes bad.    But also gross too.   Could really have done without him reaching into the shark's mouth to pull out his wife's hand (how convenient that it was the same shark from the plane that landed on top of the Empire State building) and pulling out the gun.   Then just tossing the hand aside.   Yuck.

Also the people being sucked out of the plane -- truly frightening.

And hey, old girlfriend from the neighborhood, did you notice he was trying to get back with his ex-wife.   Not the time to be hitting on him.   

Yes SciFI cheesy bad.   But you know if they do a Sharknado 3 I am soooooooo in.

I thought it was even better than the first one.  Plus, any show that starts off with Kelly Osborne getting her head bitten off is a hit with me already.

I could have sworn I heard the pilot, Robert Hayes, talking about "ascending" while the airplane was going down. 

Vivica Fox was badass and I'm sorry she had to go; wish it had been Tara Reid instead.  Speaking of Tara, she looked awfully thin and hagged-out with that fried, flat hair.

• Love 2

Yes SciFI cheesy bad.   But you know if they do a Sharknado 3 I am soooooooo in.

If it's set in Miami, they could bring back Don Johnson & Philip Michael Thomas to reprise Crockett & Tubbs.

I'd like to see it in Chicago, but I don't know how they'd explain a bunch of salt water sharks in Lake Michigan, not that Sharknado is overly concerned with scientific plausibility.

(edited)

OMG! I hoped that Sharknado2 would be as epic as the first, but it was epic-er! The sharks were bigger, some of the stars were bigger and even Fin's chainsaw was bigger. It was even cheesier than the slice of pizza that Fin ate over the end credits and I loved it. Speaking of Fin, Ian Ziering is perfect for the part. Fin's killing two sharks with a chainsaw, including one in mid-air, was awesome.  IZ is the face of Sharknado, as far as I'm concerned. Because of Sharknado 2, I'll never look at the Statue Of Liberty the same way again. It hit the ground-or rather, the air-killing. I knew that when the sharknado beheaded Kelly Osbourne's character it wasn't messing around. Acting-wise, Kelly Osbourne and Andy Dick were the weakest links. Mark McGrath was better. Biz Markie was better. Hell, even Tara Reid was better. Not much better, but still better. Funny how sometimes one's acting improves when a character loses a limb, as Rose McGowan proved in Grindhouse: Planet Terror. Viveka A Fox's performance as Skye, Fin's tough but ultimately doomed ex was better than expected. Ditto Robert Klein's Mayor.

The film also taught important life lessons, such as airplane etiquette (when a flight attendant tells you to stay in your seat, listen-unless a shark is coming at you), driving skills (when someone needs a ride in your garbage truck, be in  it) and even cooking tips (sharks can be barbecued, fried, shiskabobbed and even baked in a pizza oven). Let's not forget to never to ride a bike an a sharknado and, as Shark Tank's Daymond John learned the hard way, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

And then there's Matt Lauer and Al Roker, who were hilarious, especially when Matt initially refused to even say the word sharknado. The only thing that would have made their parts even better would've been if Kathie Lee and Hoda Kotb were there too and the worse things got, the drunker they got until they passed out halfway through the picture and didn't wake up until the end, asking "So, what did we miss?" Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan were great too, but poor Gelman. I also would have loved to have seen Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, Chris Cuomo, the casts of GMA, The View, The Chew and Fox & Friends, the latter of whom could've put their concealed-carry permits to use. If any network's anchors would be strapped, it would be Fox News. Or they could've just got eaten.

If there's a third Sharknado, if it can't be set in outer space, then I'll settle for Europe(specifically London) or Japan, with cameos from various cast members of Doctor Who, Orphan Black, Game Of Thrones and Downton Abbey.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
(edited)
If it's set in Miami, they could bring back Don Johnson & Philip Michael Thomas to reprise Crockett & Tubbs.

Oh please let this happen!

Also, I didn't recognize some of the characters.  For example, I didn't know the black guy in the pizza joint was Biz Markie, and I don't watch Shark Tank so I didn't recognize that guy either.

Does anyone know who the woman was who played Fin's sister, and the black woman who was her friend who got eaten?  I felt like these two were supposed to be "somebody" but I don't know who.

Edited by Ohwell

So I watched the Sharknado Mini Marathon last night, as I hadn't seen the original little masterpiece originally.

Original recipe - - cheesy, yes but oh-so-entertaining.  I liked the somewhat slow build up to the sharks being in the tornadoes, with the hurricane being the first threat and then flooding.  In my opinion, that's what was superior over The Second One.  The sharks just started falling on NYC out of the gate and for that reason, I preferred the original.

That said, I loved all the references to The Twilight Zone, Airplane and Taxi - -among others!

Oh yeah, Kelly stomping the shark with her stiletto.   Michael Strahan wrestling the shark.   So bad ass.   

For those who missed it the NIH Bear (the bear that was wandering around the NIH campus a few weeks ago and was tranqed then released in the wild) was live tweeting.   Believe me, some of his lines were better than the movie.   Also, I live in the DC area, the last thing I am doing during any catastrophe is getting on the Metro.   It can't even run well on a good day.

• Love 1
(edited)
If there's a third Sharknado, if it can't be set in outer space, then I'll settle for Europe(specifically London) or Japan, with cameos from various cast members of Doctor Who, Orphan Black, Game Of Thrones and Downton Abbey.

Ugh, not in outer space. And I doubt anyone connected to those shows would do Sharknado. Plus, Orphan Black is not a British show; it's Canadian. I like the Miami idea, but I really like the New Orleans concept of flaming sharks.

I watched the double-header too, and enjoy the doofy character names. Baz Hogan for the Australian friend? Snort. Fin for the main character? Gold. Fin's sister and her husband were named Martin and Ellen Brody? Ha.

Edited by Shermie

Just checked IMDB for the cast listing.  Fin's sister was played by Kari Wuhrer.  Never heard of her, but I guess other people know her because she's been on a soap opera?  I thought that black woman friend looked familiar; turns out she's "Pepa" of Salt 'n Pepa.  The most shocking one was the scary-looking nurse with the bad facelift--who turned out to be Downtown Julie Brown. 

New Orleans has had enough weather problems in real life, so I'm hoping the next one is in Miami because I just think it would be more fun there. 

Kari Wuhrer was on General Hospital, yeah, about a decade ago now (and sucked), but she is probably best known from either Sliders or as the first of the 3 "Remote Control" Game Show hostesses who schmoozed with then-not really famous Colin Quinn and Adam Sandler (along with the host, the late Ken Ober).

Yeah, I'm full of useless facts.

• Love 3

Just checked IMDB for the cast listing.  Fin's sister was played by Kari Wuhrer.  Never heard of her, but I guess other people know her because she's been on a soap opera?  I thought that black woman friend looked familiar; turns out she's "Pepa" of Salt 'n Pepa.  The most shocking one was the scary-looking nurse with the bad facelift--who turned out to be Downtown Julie Brown. 

New Orleans has had enough weather problems in real life, so I'm hoping the next one is in Miami because I just think it would be more fun there. 

I thought that was her! I recognized the voice. Wubba wubba wubba!

Overnight ratings news

Lions and tigers and sharks, oh my! Syfy’s pop culture sensation Sharknado 2: The Second One absolutely devoured the world during last night’s July 30 premiere, becoming the channel’s most watched Original Movie ever with 3.9 million total viewers and 1.6 million Adults 18-49. The movie also averaged 1.8 million Adults 25-54.

Sharknado 2 delivered One Billion (yes, with a B) estimated impressions for Sharknado Twitter conversations.

• Love 1

I preferred the first one as well, partly because I didn't know what to expect.  My Twitter feed was on fire last year and then half way through, I realized just how in on the joke the movie was with its clever references.  I don't think anything will be as beautiful as "Fin" on the final titla card.  Just wonderful.

But the second one was more polished with greater cameos and I still enjoyed it.  Twitter actually let me down more. 

I guess America loves its schlock. Wow.

And events.  That's why when this was debated last year on TWoP, I disagreed with the notion that this would "ruin" SyFy or that they'd be wrong to capitalize on it.  I think the biggest mistake they made was airing it on a Wednesday instead of a Thursday. 

If there's a third Sharknado

No "ifs" about it.   SyFy already has a page for it.

Cosign that what compelled so many people to watch it last night was the group-viewing/social aspect of it. I am not on Twitter because I'm old and useless, but i know it blew up real good over this, and tons of people were posting running commentary on Facebook. I think the movie was better than expected considering how high expectations were for the sequel and the unlikelihood of catching lightning in a bottle twice. I chuckled through quite a bit of it. They pretty much found the right blend IMO of self-aware camp and playing it straight. And Ian Ziering, whom I never liked before, was made for this role. Gotta respect him going all in, his screaming scenes were awesome. Tara Reid looks rough as hell, I thought her success in the original movie might have pumped her up a little but girl can't give a line reading to save her life.

I don't know about Miami. Maybe a bit further north? "Spring Break Sharknado: Where the Sharks Are" or somesuch. 'Course, it could just be all of Florida.

Or Texas. But anything we might have looked forward to seeing a rodeo champion do on the back of a flying shark was already done by Fin is this movie.

Maybe Alaska. Of course, they'd need someone local to team up with against the sharks, but now that they've gotten some big names to appear in the series I'll bet they could get Sarah Palin.

Edited by CletusMusashi

Cosign that what compelled so many people to watch it last night was the group-viewing/social aspect of it. I am not on Twitter because I'm old and useless, but i know it blew up real good over this, and tons of people were posting running commentary on Facebook.

At one point it had 9 of the top 10 trending things on Twitter, and you could say it was responsible for the 10th.  That one was Bill Pullman, and it was just after Fin's speech on the fire truck, which reminded me of Independence Day.

The movie was stupid, ridiculous, over the top, horribly made, and so much damn fun.  That's why it works, they know what they're making and they run with it.  Hell, the makers are proud of it.  It's a movie where the people in it are actually having fun, and are completely in on the joke, so you're not laughing at the movie, you're laughing with it.

• Love 2

Wherever they hold the next one, these are a few of the actors I'd like to see in it:  Gary Busey, David Hasselhoff, and Joan Rivers.  I know there are a slew of others I'd like to see so I have to think about it.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I don't know about Miami. Maybe a bit further north? "Spring Break Sharknado: Where the Sharks Are" or somesuch.

This is just made of awesomeness.  Kadooz!

Wherever they hold the next one, these are a few of the actors I'd like to see in it:  Gary Busey, David Hasselhoff, and Joan Rivers.  I know there are a slew of others I'd like to see so I have to think about it.

Could they get Richard Dreyfuss?  That would be classic.  Or how about Pam Anderson?  I don't think she's doing much nowadays.  Or Samuel L. Jackson?  That would be funny.

Yeah, Richard Dreyfuss, Pam Anderson would be great.  Mickey Rourke.  Also, they need to bring back Al and Matt.  They could have Jim Cantore standing outside in the tornado, then the shark comes down out of the shy and chows down on him.  Maybe Samuel L. could find some time for it too.  I can just hear him now:  "I'm tired of these muthafuckin' sharks!" 

(edited)

Ugh, not in outer space. And I doubt anyone connected to those shows would do Sharknado. Plus, Orphan Black is not a British show; it's Canadian.

First of all, I was joking about the third one being set in outer space (besides, Fin's not an Astronaut and he probably couldn't handle a chainsaw in zero gravity anyway). As for whether or not certain British stars would do a Sharknado movie, I read in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly-which, coincidentally, featured the new Doctor Who on the cover-an article by Daniel Radcliffe, who did an article about his adventures at this year's Comic-Con, who's such a big Sharknado fan that he said that he would love to do one. I already know that Orphan Black's Canadian; I just put it with the others because it's broadcast on BBC America.

Maybe Alaska. Of course they'd need someone local to team against the sharks but now that they've gotten some big names to appear in the series I bet they could get Sarah Palin.

I hope not. My choice: Rob Morrow, as a shout-out to his role in Northern Exposure, like Robert Hays' cameo was for Airplane! and Judd Hirsh's was for Taxi.

How about Sharknado Down Under, which could feature cameos by among others, Paul Hogan, Rick Springfield and Olivia Newton-John? The "plot," so to speak, could be about Fin and April going on their second honeymoon in Australia, but them being them, wherever they go, sharknadoes follow.

Joan Rivers

Only if she gets eaten. If it's good enough for Kelly Osbourne, then it's good enough for Joan, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes
Joan Rivers

Only if she gets eaten. If it's good enough for Kelly Osbourne, then it's good enough for Joan, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh I like her but I want her to get eaten while she's ragging on about how sharkskin is out of style.   

To cover the Fashion Police lineup how about Giuliana Rancic? She could get swallowed & then the shark could spit her out because she's all bones.

Oh that is so eeevil!  Although the shark might choke on that big head.

What an awesome movie! How do people not see it's wonderful badness? From the very beginning with the William Shatner Twilight Zone and Airplane! references to the Kelly Osborne/Wil Wheaton cameos, this movie was on fire from the beginning.