Type keyword(s) to search

Catfish - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, GaT said:

I think we're talking about different episodes, I was talking about the one that just aired on Tuesday 5/31

Same episode. The girl who was being catfished by her best friend’s live-in girlfriend, right?

After Nev and Kamie told Victoria the real Anthony was married, she was still hoping the person she was talking to was the guy in the photos. They (rightfully) pointed out to her that the person she was hoping for was married. 

Also, I kept waiting for someone to acknowledge that if “Anthony” was currently 29, that meant he was 21 when he started talking to a 16-year-old. 

Edited by SilverLake0315
Spacing issue
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, SilverLake0315 said:

Same episode. The girl who was being catfished by her best friend’s live-in girlfriend, right?

After Nev and Kamie told Victoria the real Anthony was married, she was still hoping the person she was talking to was the guy in the photos. They (rightfully) pointed out to her that the person she was hoping for was married. 

Also, I kept waiting for someone to acknowledge that if “Anthony” was currently 29, that meant he was 21 when he started talking to a 16-year-old. 

I got it, I forgot about the real Anthony. Yes, she was really delusional, but then, they all seem to be.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, GaT said:

The shows haven't been interesting at all this season.

I’m surprised it has lasted this long.  After a few seasons the repetition was evident.  I guess I watch more for banter between the hosts than any real suspense about the outcome.  

13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I’m surprised it has lasted this long.  After a few seasons the repetition was evident.  I guess I watch more for banter between the hosts than any real suspense about the outcome.  

Surprisingly, I think I liked it better when they didn't go to where the person is, somehow the episodes where they stayed in LA & did everything by Zoom were better.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GaT said:

Surprisingly, I think I liked it better when they didn't go to where the person is, somehow the episodes where they stayed in LA & did everything by Zoom were better.

Yeah I often like to see where the person lives but the Zoom episodes did work surprisingly well.   I just think when the person is not a catfish they should just abort that episode because it’s a nothing burger.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah I often like to see where the person lives 

I don't think we ever actually see that. Have you ever noticed how sparkling clean & beautifully decorated everyone's house/apartment is? In fact, the first thing I thought of when they went in her house last episode was "that's nicely decorated". I don't remember ever seeing a real "bachelor apartment", or a house that looks like 3 young kids really live there. I think they rent a place & stage it if they have to to pretend that's where the catfish lives. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, GaT said:

I don't think we ever actually see that. Have you ever noticed how sparkling clean & beautifully decorated everyone's house/apartment is? In fact, the first thing I thought of when they went in her house last episode was "that's nicely decorated". I don't remember ever seeing a real "bachelor apartment", or a house that looks like 3 young kid really live there. I think they rent a place & stage it if they have to to pretend that's where the catfish lives. 

I meant the town/area. Yeah they all seem like fake homes.

• Wink 2
On 6/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, LADreamr said:

I can't unsee that, now.  Every home we see looks staged.

They used to feel like real homes. I now just assume they are in Airbnbs or something similar. 

It was fun seeing Max for the 200th episode. 

• Love 3

The format of the Ghosted show was very similar to Catfish and now the format of that Help I’m in a Secret Relationship show (which shares a host with Ghosted) is very similar to both of them lol.  But the two knockoffs are even more guilty than Catfish of stretching out ten minutes of material to forty.  First the victim tells the hosts the problem.  Then they “investigate.”  Then they repeat everything they told the viewer in the previous segment to the victim.  Then they confront the villain.  Then they often have a second confrontation a day or two later after the villain can “think it over.” Rinse repeat.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I get the guy talking to her just for attention without romantic interest but why did he send her unsolicited money?  Unless she asked for it (which she denied but could be lying) or hinted that she needed money?  Also re Kamie’s insistence that he was Black.  There are white guys who talk that way.  Maybe they are imitating their rapper idols, maybe they were raised by Black foster parents, it sounds like he was in prison most of his life from age 13 so maybe he shared cells with a lot of Black guys.  Madonna started using an English accent after living in England for like a year lol.

• Love 2

I really wish they had counseled Ivy to get professional help.  The amount and intensity of crying she had done about Dante over the years and was still doing, is not healthy.  Also, what Nev was interpreting as such intense remorse on Dante's part, really seemed to me to be more social awkwardness.  And I don't know why Nev and Kami were so blown away by his poems.  I found them cringe-worthy, and his last "poem" was simply normal sentences couched as a poem.

Also, Kaycee did not seem to be catching the veiled shade that Mike was throwing at her by his over-praising of her personality. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

Victoria didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

I got very annoyed when they were doing the de-brief after having found out the true story, and Nev/Kami kept talking to the catfisher with things like "you need to realize what a good woman you've got and you could lose her" and "you need to be apologetic if you want to keep her", which was totally steamrolling over whether the catfishee would even want to stay in the relationship at all, as though it was all up to the catfisher.  (I did get bummed to hear on the follow-up that they are back together.) 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, UMAngela said:

It was fun seeing Max for the 200th episode. 

Max brought the snark!  When they were reading the email and the woman went on and on about how great a listener the guy was, Max said, "He was probably asleep". I LOL'd.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm getting to where I have zero sympathy for catfishees who won't do a simple Google search to research people they have suspicions about.  This week's is a little different, because she seemed to have such a dire need for connection, that she'd allow herself to believe things that were obviously BS.  She did tell him it wasn't polite to ask women for money, but I think she ended up being out thousands to these various a-holes, anyway.  

But in general, they're flying all over the country to tell people things they could easily have found out themselves, if they had bothered to take any initiative.

• Love 3

How long have they been using computer generated faces for Facebook profiles? When they scroll through names, all the faces appear to be AI generated faces. Real profiles have real pictures. Does anyone else get what I’m saying?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anduril said:

How long have they been using computer generated faces for Facebook profiles? When they scroll through names, all the faces appear to be AI generated faces. Real profiles have real pictures. Does anyone else get what I’m saying?

They probably can’t use real ones without permission.  I have read that sometimes they use fake pics as well, especially when the person is a red herring whom they never talk to.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

They probably can’t use real ones without permission.  I have read that sometimes they use fake pics as well, especially when the person is a red herring whom they never talk to.

Makes sense. I guess clever editing makes it look like they are actually using Facebook. 

It stood out to me right away. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Makes sense. I guess clever editing makes it look like they are actually using Facebook. 

It stood out to me right away. 

You can go down a rabbit hole.  Like a lot of times the catfish contacts the show but they pretend the opposite.

2 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

You can go down a rabbit hole.  Like a lot of times the catfish contacts the show but they pretend the opposite.

I’ve heard that before. They leave Nev and Kami to figure it out.  It’s just crazy that they have make a completely fake Facebook that you can click around on and it looks like the real thing. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LADreamr said:

Yeah.  I'm not sure the inside of the Tampa house was the same as the outside one we saw, though.

Nope, nothing about the inside of the house said "two young children live here". This was another episode where there was no catfish, have they run out of them? Or nobody cares anymore?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, GaT said:

Nope, nothing about the inside of the house said "two young children live here". This was another episode where there was no catfish, have they run out of them? Or nobody cares anymore?

Well Nikki said it was her friend’s house which would explain why there was no kids’ stuff.  But the decor didn’t really match the guy in the yard.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Well it wasn’t an AirBnB this week lol.  Maybe there aren’t many in Alton.

Similar to the figurines of animals on the shelves inside the house, there seemed to be a bunch of animal lawn ornaments on the front lawn, but they only showed from behind and it was really quick. I hoped to get a good look but we didn't get to see one.

Very cute dog!

• Love 2
(edited)

Another not-a-catfish, why do we keep getting the same thing? And this moron has been waiting for 17 years & still couldn't get him to commit. Why don't these people know when to give it up?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, GaT said:

Another not-a-catfish, why do we keep getting the same thing? And this moron as been waiting for 17 years & still couldn't get him to commit. Why don't these people know when to give it up?

And that awful comment from him about not knowing she had the soul to be sad, or whatever he said... after everything she went through to connect with him, that should have been a hard out.  He never appeared to actually want the connection.  

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

If they were talking all night long distance on landlines 17 years ago wouldn’t that have been super expensive?

Landlines would probably be cheaper than cell phones. Both would be crazy expensive.

58 minutes ago, featherhead said:

Landlines would probably be cheaper than cell phones. Both would be crazy expensive.

My cellphone doesn’t charge any more for long distance than local. But with landlines I remember it being like three dollars per minute for long distance.  Maybe by 17 years ago it had become cheaper.

• Love 2

Wait a second -- it strikes me twelve hours later that this scenario really paralleled the one that Nev experienced a long time ago that got this whole thing started.  He had "had a relationship" on line with somebody he thought was a lovely young girl -- went with his brother to meet her (and coincidentally film it all) and she turned out to be much older.  The documentary film they made about it started the whole Catfish franchise.  He might have mentioned that just in passing !?  

Obviously this kid was much more ticked off about it than Nev had been.  I think I remember that he and his catfish lady remained friends.  Hmm.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chippings said:

Wait a second -- it strikes me twelve hours later that this scenario really paralleled the one that Nev experienced a long time ago that got this whole thing started.  He had "had a relationship" on line with somebody he thought was a lovely young girl -- went with his brother to meet her (and coincidentally film it all) and she turned out to be much older.  The documentary film they made about it started the whole Catfish franchise.  He might have mentioned that just in passing !?  

Obviously this kid was much more ticked off about it than Nev had been.  I think I remember that he and his catfish lady remained friends.  Hmm.

In the Nev doc the catfish was more sympathetic.  She was raising some special needs kids in an isolated rural setting.   Although she was using hot model pics so that should have been more of a red flag.  Doris was using more average fake pics.

• Thanks 2

Doris was really disturbed, and disturbing.  She genuinely believed that when John met her, he would just put aside that she had been lying the whole time, and that she is clearly at least 15 years older than him and with a slightly unusual look.  She def was manipulating John during that conversation, and even in her comments to Nev and Kamie at the end, she was still throwing shade that John had reacted the way he did.  However...I do have to say that when a catfisher has been lying about their picture, but still turns out to be age-appropriate and reasonably cute, Nev and Kami generally try to convince the catfishee to give them a chance.  In this case, even before knowing Doris' personality, they seemed to be disinclined to do that. 

On the brighter side, I have been through that exact intersection where they showed the street sign with Lee Hwy, Washington Blvd, and Falls Church, about a million times.  Funny to think that Nev and Kami were there too!

And finally an explanation about what I thought I had been seeing, which was Kami slowly losing weight over the past episodes.  Now I know it was because of the SI shoot.  Good for her!

• Love 3
On 8/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

with a slightly unusual look. 

You are very kind.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

And finally an explanation about what I thought I had been seeing, which was Kami slowly losing weight over the past episodes.  Now I know it was because of the SI shoot.  Good for her!

I had to google because I was trying to figure out why a nonathlete would be in SI lol. Apparently she also has a podcast where she gives relationship advice so I will have to check that out because I think she usually has the correct take on things.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

You are very kind.

I had to google becauae I was trying to figure out why a nonathlete would be in SI lol. Apparently she also has a podcast where she gives relationship advice so I will have to check that out because I think she usually has the correct take on things.

This was the SI Swimsuit issue, which has lots of non-athletes.

• Love 1

Mark and Taylor:  Wow. Is there really anyone on Earth who thinks Taylor in person is actually hot?  And that voice!  She may have been cute at one time in her life but she has really effed up her appearance in what i presume to be an effort to be a hot babe. Holy crap.

I think Mark dodged a bullet here. I know he is sad about the result of the meeting but seriously, who would want to have that strange being for a girlfriend?  Photos were okay, but in person and with that voice?  Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I don't believe for a minute that Taylor was 21. I'm not even sure she was human.

I think judging by her voice, she was about 7. This is something like the 200th show in a row where the catfish, isn't one. It's boring.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I don't believe for a minute that Taylor was 21. I'm not even sure she was human.

Does anyone else think that the house she was in belonged to her, um, "employer"???

• Love 4

Honest question to the guys here - would her looks be enough for you to overlook her apparent lack of personality/intelligence?

(Don't mean that to sound harsh.  I say "apparent," because we only saw her in this setting, and only for a few minutes.)

Forgot to mention from the Doris and John episode, that the house where they showed John and his male roommate living, was so very clearly NOT an Airbnb.  OMG, considering that they each live there with their children, there was an appalling lack of furniture and just stuff.  That roommate said something about how he and his kids spend most of their time upstairs, which sounded kind of weird, unless there's some great den/bonus room up there.

• Love 2