Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
jewel21

COVID-19: Personal Stories Only [Sunsetted]

10 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I will be going into the office for the first time since I started with this company on Monday.  I will be taking public transit too.  It's going to be strange.  

The Office Monday GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I can’t wait until I can go back.

I seem to be the outlier here: I miss human contact so can’t wait until I see my niece, nephew (by marriage), brother and sister-in-law next weekend so you can hug them again. And Ralphie.

And as it gets better, to hug all my friends who I haven’t seen in 15 months. I’m especially looking forward to getting together with my fellow paralegals for a reunion lunch/dinner whatever. I’m tired of the distancing and being locked in/by myself. And I wasn’t an extrovert before. I’m also not an introvert, but something in the middle. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 11

I've had my second shot 2 days ago. My first was AstraZeneca, this one was Moderna. The side effects were much worse this time.

First time, I had one night of flu-like symptoms without fever, and a slight headache for 2 days.

This time, my arm still hurts. I've had flu-like symptoms with a fever and bad headaches until this morning. I wonder if the pain at the injection site has to do with the person who administers it. The first one was quick and almost painless. No pain in the arm. This one was somewhat protracted and I felt it. Still painful when I raise my arm.

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends and family. I'm looking forward to at least teach some of my students face-to-face. I am not looking forward to being exposed to crowds of people I don't know. I'll keep wearing my mask in stores and buildings, thank you very much. They talk about a fourth wave in Europe in the fall, and I can't help but think all this optimism is misplaced if the vaccination rates can't be raised and fast.

Edited by supposebly · Reason: how isn't who
  • Like 5

I was out running errands all day yesterday, in and out of a variety of stores.  Mask-wearing was sporadic, though I kept mine on any time I was indoors.  What I did notice was that everyone seemed to be more cheerful than I've seen people in a long time.  Smiles, upbeat chatter -- it was really nice.  

• Like 4

So I went to the bookstore today, it was the first time in a while it’s been so busy with very few people wearing masks. It’s still hard to shake the mindset of wanting to steer clear of maskless people—and I probably shouldn’t have been doomscrolling about variants before I went. I just tried to keep telling myself that I was vaccinated and masked so I was safe. Even after it’s really safe, it’s going to be hard for me to feel completely normal again.

Two more weeks til I can work in the office again!

• Like 4

Having been back in my office for 2.5 days a week since the start of the month with the threat of having to be there full time beginning in August, I've come to the conclusion that 2.5 days is about my limit. I just want more flexibility and autonomy and I've been much happier being at home more. Unfortunately, it seems that no one in the admin cares about employee morale, at least to the extent of actually doing something about it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well this takes the cake. My extremely anti-vax coworker now says that she can't get vaxxed because she has to go to physical therapy for her knee. What does that have to do with the tea in China?

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 5

My manager at the dental clinic is now refusing to wear a mask. She's apparently tired of wearing one. She's also the only one of us who hasn't been vaccinated yet. The rest of us have only had one vaccine so far so I don't feel safe with her just walking around. She's also setting a bad precedent for patients who come in and are masked. 

• Surprise 3
  • Sad 12

8 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

My manager at the dental clinic is now refusing to wear a mask. She's apparently tired of wearing one. She's also the only one of us who hasn't been vaccinated yet.

There is quite rightly a "direct threat" test to be met, and a requirement that only if she fails that and has no reasonable accommodation defense, but if that all plays out her ass needs to be kicked to the curb.  So y'all make as much noise as you're comfortable making to move this along.

• Like 8

It's weird being one of the fewer and fewer folks venturing out wearing a mask nowadays. I even had someone asked if I hadn't been vaccinated (I HAVE) but I told them that COVID isn't the ONLY airborne illness out there that one can catch via breathing in someone else's germs (and that flu season was incredibly mild last year thanks in large part to mask wearing). I'm also doing everything I can to avoid being too close or crowded to others (but I recall my late father warning me about how crowds can turn ugly on a dime). I'm feeling like one of the few folks heeding warnings about Godzilla while others are just carrying on like he never existed-  moments before he returns to stomp on everyone like ants.

• Like 10

For the most part here masking is still the order of the day but twice last night I encountered unmasked people  - one guy made a bit of a scene going into a store insisting "I'm exempt".  In the store another guy had a mask on but his big nose was hanging out the whole time.  IME anyway the people I've personally encountered not wearing masks or not wearing them properly have been big,  very heavy older white guys.  PRobably the exact types who would develop serious complications if they did get Covid.  

• Useful 3

Sorry to double post but I just heard from an online friend of mine who lives in Australia that her father died this past week from Covid.  Australia, or at least the part of Australia she is in anyway (she lives in Sydney) is back on lockdown because of one of the variants is just rampant apparently.  Dammit, just when I start thinking this is almost over...

• Sad 13

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

For the most part here masking is still the order of the day but twice last night I encountered unmasked people  - one guy made a bit of a scene going into a store insisting "I'm exempt".  In the store another guy had a mask on but his big nose was hanging out the whole time.  IME anyway the people I've personally encountered not wearing masks or not wearing them properly have been big,  very heavy older white guys.  PRobably the exact types who would develop serious complications if they did get Covid.  

I've only come across a small handful of nose hanging types, mostly on the street.  The only indoor nose hanger was a Black woman of a certain age.  She wasn't huge, but was definitely on the heavier side.  I was at a rather small grocery store which was difficult to navigate around, so she was hard to avoid.  This was a couple of months ago, before 75ish% of people in Ontario had received at least one dose.  

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

It's weird being one of the fewer and fewer folks venturing out wearing a mask nowadays. I even had someone asked if I hadn't been vaccinated (I HAVE) but I told them that COVID isn't the ONLY airborne illness out there that one can catch via breathing in someone else's germs (and that flu season was incredibly mild last year thanks in large part to mask wearing). I'm also doing everything I can to avoid being too close or crowded to others (but I recall my late father warning me about how crowds can turn ugly on a dime). I'm feeling like one of the few folks heeding warnings about Godzilla while others are just carrying on like he never existed-  moments before he returns to stomp on everyone like ants.

From what I've seen around here (Northern California) most people are still masked. I'm still wearing mine, even though I've been fully vaccinated since March. Also, I have a tee shirt that says this just to make sure people stay away.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 5

On 6/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, ABay said:

Having been back in my office for 2.5 days a week since the start of the month with the threat of having to be there full time beginning in August, I've come to the conclusion that 2.5 days is about my limit. I just want more flexibility and autonomy and I've been much happier being at home more. Unfortunately, it seems that no one in the admin cares about employee morale, at least to the extent of actually doing something about it.

I think that anyone who was forced to find a way to continue doing their job, during lockdown (or whatever it was that we had, since we weren't fully locked down), should be given the option of continuing with that, if they want to.

• Like 5

I hope this hasn't happened - or won't for those still not back in the office - but in my husband's case he works in a hospital and has never worked from home,  The staff who have been working at home since last March are slowly starting to trickle back in and it's too bad but some seem very resentful of what they see as perks those who stayed in the office experienced.  Which basically came down to free coffee (or similar) from the cafeteria and free parking.  So there are people who did not have to pay for transportation (just as one example) for over a year who are jealous because the staff who got to work frontline in a hospital during a pandemic got free coffee? 

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Surprise 7
  • Sad 5

Well this was a very much welcome and happy outcome yesterday, when I headed over to the pool.

I had my mask ready to put on, per the phone call and rules I'd read at the beginning of the month. But I noticed that none of the people that were already there, had masks on--the ones on the pool deck.

When I walked through to check in-I was informed that we didn't have to wear them any longer, so woohoo! I could sun on the deck, mask free!

There wasn't anybody near the deep end/deck chairs where I always go. And it wasn't that crowded. Pool was also empty on the deep end. And maybe six or seven kids in the shallow end.

So I had a glorious time getting baked and doing some much missed swimming.

• Like 6

Really struggling with wearing a mask in 95+ degree weather and humidity. This heat wave has been brutal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Really struggling with wearing a mask in 95+ degree weather and humidity. This heat wave has been brutal.

I don't know if it would help you but I use a necklace fan at work. The inside temperature is good but I get hot. The mask dies not help, it makes the air feel more humid for lack of better wards to describe how I feel. Anyway the fan blows air up towards my face. It makes it more comfortable.  I know you are having more extreme weather, and I live in Texas so I understand extreme heat, so not sure if it would help but it's a thought. 

• Like 1

Hilarious anti-masker encounter today:  I was walking through a mall carrying two heavy bags of groceries so I didn’t look too balanced.  Dude comments to me: “you can’t walk straight wearing a mask!”  Dude is an older guy who while wasn’t too heavy-set, is likely at higher risk than I am.  Plus he should be wearing a mask (from a legal perspective) because he’s indoors.  

• Like 1
  • Surprise 8

Jerk. I wish I had a quick wit in situations like that and could shoot back, “Nope, just drunk!” (I would think of this hours later and kick myself for the missed opportunity).

• Like 3
  • Laugh 9

I had a patient today ask why I wear a mask when I'm at the reception area alone? First off, I wasn't, he was sitting 10 feet from me and there was no plexiglass partition on that side of the desk. Secondly, I have no idea where he's been or what he's been doing. 

I just told him I'm a germaphobe and I enjoy wearing a mask, which isn't really false, heh. 

• Like 12

On 6/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, theredhead77 said:

I'm contemplating going to see Fast 9 this weekend. AMC is blocking seats so the seats next to me would be empty, and I'd be masked other than shoving popcorn in my face.

I'm still not ready to spend 2+ hours in an enclosed space with strangers.

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

Hilarious anti-masker encounter today:  I was walking through a mall carrying two heavy bags of groceries so I didn’t look too balanced.  Dude comments to me: “you can’t walk straight wearing a mask!”  Dude is an older guy who while wasn’t too heavy-set, is likely at higher risk than I am.  Plus he should be wearing a mask (from a legal perspective) because he’s indoors.  

Does being overweight give one a higher risk of contracting Covid?  (Asking for a friend . . . )

Edited by Leeds

One of my colleagues got Covid.  She felt pretty terrible last week and is feeling much better now.  She was fully vaccinated.  So yeah, I am still being careful.

• Sad 11

6 hours ago, Leeds said:

I'm still not ready to spend 2+ hours in an enclosed space with strangers.

Does being overweight give one a higher risk of contracting Covid?  (Asking for a friend . . . )

According to the CDC, you have a higher risk of getting  sicker: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Well, I'm taking the plunge, and am going to travel internationally next month.  I am fully vaccinated, my destination requires that plus two negative tests (once before I leave the US, and once on arrival), and it's a direct flight, so no layovers anywhere.  Part of me is a little freaked out by it, but I think it will be okay.  I have continued wearing my mask when I'm indoors with other people, though I will take it off if I'm alone in my office, and I don't always wear it when I'm outside among people I trust.  If there are strangers?  The mask stays on.  Oh, I'm going to Iceland.  With any luck, I'll get to see the erupting volcano.

• Like 17

I am so jealous! I can't plan on traveling to France until next year.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 3

I am totally jealous as well, Browncoat. Always wanted to go to Iceland and I definitely hope you get to see the erupting volcano! I was supposed to be in northern Italy right now (as in this week and the next week) on tour with the Master Chorale from my little city (I am an alto, one of 120 people in the chorale although I think only 60 or so of us were going to Italy). We were supposed to be singing in Lake Como, Venice, Milan and Rome (at St. Peter's!) but of course this was entirely cancelled many months ago. At this point with the ebb and flow of Covid in Europe it seems unlikely we will be able to reschedule for summer 2022, but maybe summer 2023! We go back to in-person regular rehearsals in September as everyone in the chorale is now fully vaccinated and hope that we can put on our first full performance (with orchestra) in November, but who knows? As with all other group activities in the Covid era, one must be prepared to "stand down" as needed, or at the least be flexible....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, I am enjoying my life in my little relatively Covid-free (for now, at least) bubble here in CT.  I only wear a mask now in certain situations.  I use my judgment.  If I'm going into a big store with very few people in it I go maskless.  If I go into a small store with more people than I'm comfortable with, I wear a mask.  If I go to a town I don't trust Covid-wise, I wear one.  I also do what I see most people doing even if it's not what I would do.  Some stores recommend masks even now, so if they do I wear one.  I'd say I'm wearing one about 50% of the time.  I am double vaccinated.  I have eaten indoors twice and both times felt very comfortable doing so - it was in the middle of the day on a weekday both times in those hours between lunch and dinner when restaurants are pretty empty.  The first time we did it I almost broke down in tears because it had been so long since we had eaten in this place as it had no outdoor dining.

Although to be honest I am fearful about the future.  Although CT has done better than most states with its vaccination rate, I am still worried about what the Fall and Winter will bring.  Of course it doesn't help that I hear reports about scary new variants all the time.

Speaking of obesity, I am considered obese plus I'm almost 63, so I am very worried about how I would fare if I got Covid even being vaccinated.  I'm sure most of you know that my father died of it in 2020 before they had any idea how to treat it.  OK, he was 92 but he was not obese and was pretty healthy for his age.  So anyway, I am enjoying myself somewhat now, but still worried about the future.

Interestingly, a friend of mine recently became sick with a cold.  He went into a friend's house to visit and while there spoke with their 19 year old daughter, who works in a daycare center.  He later found out she had also gotten a cold right after he was there, so he figured he caught it from her.  He got tested for Covid just in case and came up negative.  I told him that I would probably not go anywhere near a teenager that worked in a daycare center even pre-Covid because if anyone's going to get sick and give it to you, it's them, LOL.  He is now rethinking the situations in which he would get close to anyone indoors.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

So we went to Henry Ford Museum for the Jim Henson exhibit today. Hardly anyone wore masks, but we did (tho we’re all vaccinated) except to take pictures. Actually my dad wasn’t even going to wear his mask, but changed his mind because I was so upset that he wasn’t going to, and now I feel like an asshole for shaming him—I just couldn’t believe he wasn’t going to wear one when he and my mom aren’t even ready to go to a restaurant yet. Mind-boggling. Like I KNOW we are safe, but I just want to be safe until the damn Delta variant isn’t going to fuck everything up.

Other than that we had a good time. Got to see the Bert, Ernie, Grover, Fraggle, Bunsen and Beaker and Scooter muppets on display! Also those beautiful ball costumes from Labyrinth! 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Also, I have to say it: David Bowie’s boots were small.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, I am enjoying my life in my little relatively Covid-free (for now, at least) bubble here in CT.  I only wear a mask now in certain situations.  I use my judgment.  If I'm going into a big store with very few people in it I go maskless.  If I go into a small store with more people than I'm comfortable with, I wear a mask.  If I go to a town I don't trust Covid-wise, I wear one.  I also do what I see most people doing even if it's not what I would do.  Some stores recommend masks even now, so if they do I wear one.  I'd say I'm wearing one about 50% of the time.  I am double vaccinated.  I have eaten indoors twice and both times felt very comfortable doing so - it was in the middle of the day on a weekday both times in those hours between lunch and dinner when restaurants are pretty empty.  The first time we did it I almost broke down in tears because it had been so long since we had eaten in this place as it had no outdoor dining.

Although to be honest I am fearful about the future.  Although CT has done better than most states with its vaccination rate, I am still worried about what the Fall and Winter will bring.  Of course it doesn't help that I hear reports about scary new variants all the time.

Speaking of obesity, I am considered obese plus I'm almost 63, so I am very worried about how I would fare if I got Covid even being vaccinated.  I'm sure most of you know that my father died of it in 2020 before they had any idea how to treat it.  OK, he was 92 but he was not obese and was pretty healthy for his age.  So anyway, I am enjoying myself somewhat now, but still worried about the future.

Interestingly, a friend of mine recently became sick with a cold.  He went into a friend's house to visit and while there spoke with their 19 year old daughter, who works in a daycare center.  He later found out she had also gotten a cold right after he was there, so he figured he caught it from her.  He got tested for Covid just in case and came up negative.  I told him that I would probably not go anywhere near a teenager that worked in a daycare center even pre-Covid because if anyone's going to get sick and give it to you, it's them, LOL.  He is now rethinking the situations in which he would get close to anyone indoors.

I still double mask both indoors (which is a legal requirement, anyway), despite being fully vaxxed and despite the relatively decent vaccination rate in our city and province.  There are people - many people who don't mask unless they're inside.  Their choice, but Delta is going around.  And most of them have only had their first dose (no one in Canada has received J&J yet, despite it having been authorized).  There are stores with long lines, as if it's 1998 and they're trying to get Spice Girls tickets.  Geez, it's just H&M (or Aritzia), people!!! 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, PRgal said:

I still double mask both indoors (which is a legal requirement, anyway), despite being fully vaxxed and despite the relatively decent vaccination rate in our city and province.  There are people - many people who don't mask unless they're inside.  Their choice, but Delta is going around.  And most of them have only had their first dose (no one in Canada has received J&J yet, despite it having been authorized).  There are stores with long lines, as if it's 1998 and they're trying to get Spice Girls tickets.  Geez, it's just H&M (or Aritzia), people!!! 

I was just looking at the stats and my town in CT has not had even a single case of Covid for over a month, plus we are very close to 80% vaccinated, one of the highest percentages in the state.  So at least when I'm local I feel a little easier about going maskless since it's optional for vaccinated people now.  But I still wear it at times.  And it's still a requirement in doctor's offices and hospitals.  I'm still worried about the future and the variants come the Fall.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Went to dinner and a movie for the first time in forever! The restaurant was very good, we got our own area all to ourselves and the service was pretty quick. Unusual by a regular Friday night standards. But oh man it felt pretty good, though I still have to get over my uneasiness.

• Like 4

And New York is suppose to have Broadway shows by September. I wondered if the surge would happen then.

Edited by letter8358
  • Useful 2

It looks like Broadway shows will require proof of vaccination. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

I've felt myself relaxing a bit and I even had lunch out for the first time in what seems like forever but I admit I am really worried we're going to get another surge and end up with another lockdown.  People keep saying we need to reopen the US/Canada border and bring back international flights but I dunno, it's hard enough dealing with local anti-vaxxers without having to worry about what could happen if we do that.  I don't know when I'll be able to relax about that.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Winnie, I read a lot of travel boards. The number of Americans posting "see you Monday!" is crazy. Reading comprehension, people. The border is NOT opening July 5, the only change is that vaccinated Canadians don't have to quarantine. 

Following up on my post above, I am considering NYC for Christmas, which I do most years and which was my last trip out of the country (December 2019).   I started looking for Broadway shows; all that I looked at were offering flexible tickets with refunds or exchanges until early January, and they all had wording to the effect "Covid protocols will be in place, which may include proof of negative tests, vaccinations, temperature checks...." so they are covering their bases to require anything they want, depending on what the science is saying by the time of show.  I figure if I can't take my trip, or if I don't like the protocols in a particular theatre, I can just cancel.  

Edited by Quof
  • Like 5

I was dismayed this morning to see so many maskless people in stores.  No way was that under-12 child vaccinated, so she certainly should have been wearing a mask.  Her mother also did not have a mask, and I'd bet good money that she was not vaccinated either.  And this is why I continue to wear mine!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 6

Heard anti-mask protesters from my condo this afternoon.  They disappeared for a few weeks, but are now BAAAAACCCKKKK (and with a vengeance)!!!!!!!!  🙄 Thank goodness my son didn't wake up from his nap during this whole thing.

• Sad 11

I know the summer is crazy now. So many different license plates in my neck of the woods. I think even my mother's relatives are planning that long drive from Florida! Scary.

• Like 2

Despite my hesitation, more dates opened up and I moved my second dose appointment up from August 4 to next Wednesday. I just hope I don't have too many side-effects. 

• Like 10

So yesterday I had to go to the post office in my quaint little CT town.  It's a very small 2 room affair with a low ceiling and very claustrophobic.  Even pre-Covid I always felt a little uneasy in there, and post-Covid I have mostly avoided the place like the plague until very recently.  Even though masks are optional now for the vaccinated I always wear one there, and so do most people, including the postal workers behind the desk.

Lately it's been very busy, and it's one of the few places I still dread going into even though our Covid numbers are pretty nonexistent in this town.  So anyway yesterday I walked in and found myself on line behind 3 people.  I overheard the unmasked woman ahead of me telling the masked woman ahead of her that she doesn't feel the need to wear her mask in the post office but always wears one in the supermarket.  She was actually looking at me when she said that so I said, "Oh, I'm just the opposite.  I sometimes don't wear a mask to the supermarket but I always wear one here."  "Why do you feel that way?",  I asked her.  She told me it's because they leave the door open so there's better air ventilation.  Ummmm.....not exactly.  First of all the front door is in the outer room with the P.O. boxes and the air in the inner room is pretty stagnant because there's only one thin door open between it and the outer room.  And as I mentioned above, it's pretty small with a low-ish ceiling and there's absolutely no way you can social distance enough in there when there are so many people on line.

OK, I wasn't going to argue with her but I did mention that I thought that since the supermarket was a much bigger space with an incredibly high ceiling, it was easier to stay away from people.  Plus the ventilation in those places is so good you can see the birthday balloons in the bakery area swinging in the breeze, LOL.  One thing the articles I've read has beaten into my brain is that the bigger the space, the better the ventilation, the fewer people per cubic foot, and the more opportunity for social distancing, the safer you are.  Around here we don't have the population density that you might get in more urban locations so you add that up and huge, mostly unpopulated supermarkets seem like a safer place to me.  Even when Covid numbers were higher I could at least avoid people there.  If I saw a few people in an aisle I'd just skip that one until it thinned out.  It's not uncommon around here to be the only person in an aisle.  Plus in the supermarket you're mostly just passing them by quickly, not standing on line very close to them in a small room like you are at the Post Office.

So anyway, when I got home I talked to my husband about it and he got somewhat ballistic about how this is why people get the virus because they just don't get it, etc., etc.  I was kind of surprised that he'd agree with me to that extent.  I put it to him as a choice - which place would he feel less comfortable mask-less.  I did the same with two other local friends and both reacted similarly.  Nice to know it's not just me....

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

On 6/23/2021 at 9:42 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I stopped wearing a mask everywhere it wasn't required the second it was allowed. I felt it was my duty as a person who followed every rule the entire time, to be out there as a person showing it is okay to follow the new rules

Similarly, I think I will always recall the first time I arrived at the grocery store and saw this sign:

5C02530F-39C6-426F-B9D6-0ED4AF72F119.thumb.jpeg.3d48958466e97c9499499bfe2dd8b4fc.jpeg

I felt anxious removing my mask, but thought it was important to not give in to those understandable feelings, and to set an example. 
Plus, even 18 years post-menopause, I still get a zit every time I wear a mask for more than a few minutes, LOL.

But yesterday I was in a Walmart in a neighboring, less-diverse town where customers with kids way under 12 were all unmasked, and I found myself wondering if that meant they were all unvaccinated (even though vaccines are easy to get here) and I thought of the Delta variant, and then I thought of what if I get a mild case but give it to my daughter who has finally managed to get pregnant, and what if she… you know 😞….  
But then I made a decision to not dwell on it, and I do still try to keep some distance from unmasked strangers. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

We went out of town yesterday. Lots of people not wearing masks but we still wore ours. Once again, had to force myself not to get paranoid if the person that waited on us in the store kept sniffing.

But we ate at the Olive Garden. It wasn’t too busy and had our own space to eat. God, I have missed their breadsticks!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I felt anxious removing my mask, but thought it was important to not give in to those understandable feelings, and to set an example. 
Plus, even 18 years post-menopause, I still get a zit every time I wear a mask for more than a few minutes, LOL.

But yesterday I was in a Walmart in a neighboring, less-diverse town where customers with kids way under 12 were all unmasked, and I found myself wondering if that meant they were all unvaccinated (even though vaccines are easy to get here) and I thought of the Delta variant, and then I thought of what if I get a mild case but give it to my daughter who has finally managed to get pregnant, and what if she… you know 😞….  
But then I made a decision to not dwell on it, and I do still try to keep some distance from unmasked strangers. 

I hear you, I still use my judgment.  In my local town where we are 80% vaccinated and zero cases for over 30 days there is not much to worry about right now, but as soon as I set foot into another area that may not have the great vaccination rate we have I put on the mask.  Plus, and I know this sounds bad, but I tend to avoid young people, LOL, because their rate of vaccination tends to be lower the younger they are!  But I am quite the germaphobe from way back and have always avoided young people for fear of catching something, LOL.  BTW, even with our high rate of vaccination I still see a lot of locals wearing masks.  More in the past week than before, but since the Delta variant is making the news now as the predominant one in our area, people are not taking any chances.  So admittedly, I am wearing my mask more now than even a couple of weeks ago.

Plus I don't know how much protection the vaccine is giving me.  I have read some stuff to suggest that older people plus people who are at high risk in other ways may not be protected as much because our immune systems can be weaker.  My SIL told me that when she went to the hospital for a routine procedure in Middletown, NY, she was given a test for antibody strength that told her she is 90% protected from the virus.  I had never heard of this so I went online to check it out.  It seems that it's still in clinical trials so she must have lucked out into being part of that.  Figures, she is always the lucky one!  Meanwhile her husband, who is 70, a cancer patient  and a diabetic has not had this test, and he would need it the most!  I am going to see my doctor in a couple of weeks - I will ask her about it.  I really want to know!

• Like 2

I just called and made an appointment for a hair cut.  First one since September.  My hair has gotten ridiculously long and I cannot wait to get back to normal!  Our hairdressers just re-opened last week and we still have to wear masks but I don't care!  This mop has got to go!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 5

I had always wanted to cut my own hair, and the one good thing about the pandemic was that I learned to do it, and I like the results better than when I get it done at a salon. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I just called and made an appointment for a hair cut.  First one since September.  My hair has gotten ridiculously long and I cannot wait to get back to normal!  Our hairdressers just re-opened last week and we still have to wear masks but I don't care!  This mop has got to go!

I have one booked for July 25!  

One of my friends got a breakthrough infection. Fully vaxxed, tested positive for the rona. He said he wasn't super sick but did lose his sense of taste and smell and had a low-grade fever. 

• Useful 1
  • Sad 11