Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

11 minutes ago, Dani said:

I remember during Harry and Meghan’s wedding talk there were several articles that upper class boys in Britain usually wear shorts until they are around 8. Some wackadoos were upset that George wore pants at H&M’s. 

There were articles about how Prince George "broke protocol".

With charming quotes like these:

Etiquette expert William Hanson previously told Harpers Bazaar: "It's a very English thing to dress a young boy in shorts.

“Trousers are for older boys and men, whereas shorts on young boys is one of those silent class markers that we have in England." 

He added: “Although times are (slowly) changing, a pair of trousers on a young boy is considered quite middle class – quite suburban.

“And no self-respecting aristo or royal would want to be considered suburban. Even the Duchess of Cambridge."

I love the "even the Duchess of Cambridge" line, I guess referring to Kate's not-posh background.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 3

I guess that's upper-class code for "basic bitch"?

• Laugh 8

3 hours ago, Dani said:

I remember during Harry and Meghan’s wedding talk there were several articles that upper class boys in Britain usually wear shorts until they are around 8. Some wackadoos were upset that George wore pants at H&M’s. 

And we all know it was totally Meghan's fault.  🤣

• Laugh 12

18 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

And we all know it was totally Meghan's fault.  🤣

How could that possibly by Meghan's fault?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobalina said:

I don't know, but I'm sure the Daily Fail found a way.  😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Because George was a page boy in the wedding and Meghan was the ignorant American who is too low class to know that the future King doesn’t wear pants at 5. I actually did see an article that had that take. They are just that ridiculous.

George also wore pants in Eugenie’s wedding less than 6 months later making the whole thing even more stupid. 

48 minutes ago, Dani said:

Because George was a page boy in the wedding and Meghan was the ignorant American who is too low class to know that the future King doesn’t wear pants at 5. I actually did see an article that had that take. They are just that ridiculous.

George also wore pants in Eugenie’s wedding less than 6 months later making the whole thing even more stupid. 

But it's breaking protocol and showing that Kate is "suburban" by letting George wear pants! 

• Laugh 1

Just sharing this going around twitter.

View of George’s Lido Wing photo from the backside.

The press truly is a nightmare.

Pretty sure this dress on Letizia is a re-wear, but I love it.

Queen-Letizia-at-FEDEPE-meeting-1140x694

CP Fred is in isolating after COVID exposure and will miss the Olympics. And I was looking forward to more Fred photos.

• Like 7
  • Surprise 2

I will never, ever get why the Lindo wing gawking became a "thing." Did anyone ever bother to inform the paps that sometimes women need emergency C-sections and therefore they might not be ready to sashay out of the hospital in full makeup, hair, and heels a few hours after giving birth? Did anyone bother to inform the princesses that they do not, in fact, have to wear full makeup, hair, and heels a few hours after giving birth? This whole barbarous practice has to stop -- it's intrusive, it's disrespectful, and it's totally unrealistic. 

• Like 15

5 hours ago, bobalina said:

Because everything wrong that happens in the United Kingdom is Meghan's fault. Obviously.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Seriously, how hard was it to find a pair of shoes with the same pattern as the rest of her outfit?

Yes! (not sure if you are jesting or serious, I am reading it as serious font). Those Herman Munster shoes are terrible. The only thing I could say is that they were going for a continuation of the geometric pattern from the dress. I hate with a passion those stacked pump shoes and wish they would go away forever. sigh The dress is screaming for a matchy shoe, either the same pattern or at least pick up some of the color. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dani said:

George also wore pants in Eugenie’s wedding

Since "pants" in the UK means "underwear", I certainly hope so. The term you are looking for is trousers.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 16

14 hours ago, Dani said:

Speaking as a mere working class pleb, imagine being such a snob that an arbitrary, made-up class marker (and all class markers are arbitrary and made up, and have changed enormously over the centuries) means more to you than whether or not your child is warm enough on a cold, wet day. Personally, I'd rather see a child dressed appropriately for the weather than worry about whether or not they are breaching an archaic tradition established a century or more before they were born. 🙄

Mind, George is at the age where he'd be moving into 'long trousers' anyway. Louis is the one to watch for there - not enough public appearances recently to know if he too is stuck in shorts regardless of the weather or is allowed to dress appropriately when it is cold!

• Like 14

5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

The dress is screaming for a matchy shoe, either the same pattern or at least pick up some of the color. 

Yes.   Those shoes are hideous.   The dress and hat are interesting.   It works for her.   Her husband looks less than thrilled to be dragged to royal stuff now.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

Speaking as a mere working class pleb, imagine being such a snob that an arbitrary, made-up class marker (and all class markers are arbitrary and made up, and have changed enormously over the centuries) means more to you than whether or not your child is warm enough on a cold, wet day. Personally, I'd rather see a child dressed appropriately for the weather than worry about whether or not they are breaching an archaic tradition established a century or more before they were born. 🙄

Mind, George is at the age where he'd be moving into 'long trousers' anyway. Louis is the one to watch for there - not enough public appearances recently to know if he too is stuck in shorts regardless of the weather or is allowed to dress appropriately when it is cold!

But it's tradition! As we all know, the old ways are the best. What, adapt to circumstance? Never! If it worked 400 years ago, it should work now.

One day I might make a post in this thread that isn't venomously sarcastic. Today is not that day.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

That tradition nonsense is just tabloids churning stories. I just can't be assed to care about tabloid crap like that. 

What a fun family photo of the Swedes!

Carl Gustaf and Daniel are wearing very similar loafers without socks.

• Like 8

Controversial take...

I like the shoes.

Edited for clarity. I like Delphine's shoes. I'm barely over five feet, and I love my platforms. 

I'm not a fan of sockless loafers. 

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 1

I love that the adults are posed but not "posey" looking and that all of the children are candidly looking everywhere but the camera. I like the loafers also. I just put out shirt, pants, loafers for the worser half to put on later tonight for a casual dinner theater with the baby boy, his girlfriend and one of our other son's two oldest daughters. I am off to Wilmington to see the latest sonogram of the fourth granddaughter. (My husband asked How many sonogram's are they going to do? Is something wrong? I said No this generation does  one one second after you can tell if it is a boy or a girl, then one when you can see what it actually kind of looks like, then probably a third (in our case) to tell her that yes, this is her family and she has to come out and go home with us).

The lady in the front of the picture has a the best dress. I am very much into that yellow now. I have shades of green, blue and yellow in my living room and it is so peaceful.

Anyone who wants to showcase royal interiors would make my day.

Edited by stewedsquash · Reason: added a thought
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Llywela said:

Speaking as a mere working class pleb, imagine being such a snob that an arbitrary, made-up class marker (and all class markers are arbitrary and made up, and have changed enormously over the centuries) means more to you than whether or not your child is warm enough on a cold, wet day.

As an upstart hillbilly from across the pond, I am also baffled by the idea that shorts are somehow more formal apparel than trousers. And I say this as someone who basically lives in shorts when left to my own devices. LOL

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Zella said:

As an upstart hillbilly from across the pond, I am also baffled by the idea that shorts are somehow more formal apparel than trousers. And I say this as someone who basically lives in shorts when left to my own devices. LOL

I think it probably dates back to the days when children spent their lives in the nursery and only saw their parents for about an hour a day, so that graduating into long trousers (and before that, from gowns into knickerbockers) was actually a fairly important milestone. Whereas today, it is just an archaic relic of bygone times that possibly no one but the Cambridges actually bothers with! 

(Disclaimer: I am way too working class to know if posh families actually still do this in general or not, but my gut says probably not, except perhaps for special occasions) 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Louis wears pants:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3-aCEleK4/?utm_medium=copy_link

I think shorts are a "silent marker" because high class kids always would have been in the company of a nanny who could attend to the child's every need. Thus no need for the more practical trousers.

It's a little like French royalty wearing red-bottomed shoes to mark that they would always walk on the red carpet and not on the muddy, dirty roads.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Controversial take...

I like the shoes.

I'd like them on Florence Pugh.

It cracks me up that this "royal protocol!!" always reads like 3 of my elderly Southern aunts sitting on the porch saying things like, "Did you see Sally Bilnow was dressing her youngest in long pants? And he's only three. Those Bilnows..." Meaningful head nods and looks exchanged. "Deecy Milroy still has her five year old in shorts." Response,  "'cause she was raised right." Commence sipping of sweet tea. 

Also...W-A isn't going to make the Olympics either, but we do get this!!

E6_cGZ6WUAM1JR7?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3
  • Laugh 11

33 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That was last Christmas, wasn't it? At that point in the pandemic, they'd already begun the shift to more casual stylings. I can't remember how Louis was dressed on formal occasions pre-pandemic - he probably didn't attend that many. They may drop the affectation entirely from this point on, having insisted on it for George for so long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Llywela said:

That was last Christmas, wasn't it? At that point in the pandemic, they'd already begun the shift to more casual stylings. I can't remember how Louis was dressed on formal occasions pre-pandemic - he probably didn't attend that many. They may drop the affectation entirely from this point on, having insisted on it for George for so long.

They attended a formal performance and Louis also wore pants, as did George:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqvAY-FONH/

But again, this was during the pandemic. I think the Cambridges stopped caring about formal wear during the pandemic, the way a lot of people around the world did.

ETA: @BlackberryJam I imagine that many Southern ladies would say "Did you also see that Charlotte girl? Already wearing SHORTS." "Well, look at her mom. She's from New York. Typical."

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: @BlackberryJam I imagine that many Southern ladies would say "Did you also see that Charlotte girl? Already wearing SHORTS." "Well, look at her mom. She's from New York. Typical."

Oh absolutely. "That Kate, she let's her little girl run around in shorts." Sniff of disapproval.

"What can you expect, considering how she was raised." Chin lift of superiority.

"That mother of hers. Working outside the home and all. Can you imagine?" Fanning of self to avoid vapors.

I ignored those relatives for decades, ignoring tabloids is even easier because I don't have to attend dinners with tabloids.

Back to royal news!

Tessy got married! She's the ex of Louis of Luxembourg. She had her first child with him before marriage when he was 19 and she was 20. Such scandal!

I wonder how much they paid her to keep her mouth shut about Maria Teresa.

Also, hate the dress, but love the shoes. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Just now, BlackberryJam said:

Oh absolutely. "That Kate, she let's her little girl run around in shorts." Sniff of disapproval.

"What can you expect, considering how she was raised." Chin lift of superiority.

"That mother of hers. Working outside the home and all. Can you imagine?" Fanning of self to avoid vapors.

While sipping sweet tea: "I heard that woman Carole even worked as a stewardess."

Noses wrinkle in disgust. "My god, that explains it all. Who knows what she did." 

"My mother had a word for women like that. I won't repeat it because I'm a Christian though."

• Like 1
  • Laugh 13

Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

While sipping sweet tea: "I heard that woman Carole even worked as a stewardess."

Noses wrinkle in disgust. "My god, that explains it all. Who knows what she did." 

"My mother had a word for women like that. I won't repeat it because I'm a Christian though."

And the tabloids take that crap and call it "breaking of royal protocol! It will bring down the monarchy!" I want to say, "Look dudes, Henry VIII divorced and beheaded wives at will, more recently, Edward VIII abdicated for a divorced woman. The monarchy's still chugging along. I'm pretty sure covered legs of a child or bare legs on a woman aren't going to make a dent" the same way I said to my aunts, "child-rearing sounds like a nightmare, and I pay a gay guy to clean my house because I love working outside the home and I hate sweet tea. Now would you like to insult my parents to my face? Because I really, really don't think you do."

Olympics though!

Grand Duke Henri made it to Opening Ceremonies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'd like them on Florence Pugh.

It cracks me up that this "royal protocol!!" always reads like 3 of my elderly Southern aunts sitting on the porch saying things like, "Did you see Sally Bilnow was dressing her youngest in long pants? And he's only three. Those Bilnows..." Meaningful head nods and looks exchanged. "Deecy Milroy still has her five year old in shorts." Response,  "'cause she was raised right." Commence sipping of sweet tea. 

Also...W-A isn't going to make the Olympics either, but we do get this!!

E6_cGZ6WUAM1JR7?format=jpg&name=large

If I didn't know better that it's the King of the Netherlands, I would have thought it was Chip Gaines launching a European game show for his streaming service! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

My Mom was able to convince my southern paternal grandma to wear pants in the early 70's (just in time for the polyester craze) but she was never ever able to convince my northern maternal grandma to ever ever ever wear a pair of pants. I think wherever you go you will find people to titter about "rules and protocols" and it isn't just limited to the southern US. 

I do agree that when it comes up, along with other things, it is mostly just clickbait trash journalism. And then people run with it.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Just now, irisheyes said:
9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Quoting myself cause I screwed up the reply somehow. 

You need to finish any Southern insult with “Bless her heart.”  😀😀

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

6 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Quoting myself cause I screwed up the reply somehow. 

You need to finish any Southern insult with “Bless her heart.”  😀😀

Bless her heart is infectious. I was around a bunch of Southern women at work once and I said it. It's so easy to just finish something with that lol.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I do agree that when it comes up, along with other things, it is mostly just clickbait trash journalism. And then people run with it.

I totally agree. I would be surprised if the royals cared about a fraction of these “protocols.” It’s just a way to add drama. If rules and protocols were so iron-clad, neither Kate, Meghan or Camilla would have been allowed to join the family. All of those marriages break with longstanding norms/conventions of what constitutes “suitable” royal matches. 

• Like 9

Southern gal here. The blessing of hearts has been high jacked, maybe by Hollywood?, in that it really isn't a put down but more of a sharing of commiseration. I acknowledge that there are judgmental ladies and gents all over who notice every thing that someone does and comments on them but I just hate that the Bless her heart/bless his heart/ bless your heart/bless their heart has been given such a bad reputation elsewhere. Because it naturally comes out as comfort saying, not a put down. And my main point is is that we don't really go around just blurting out blessing of hearts all the time. I have never done it and only know of one lady who does it but with her it as become just a catchall phrase she says for everything. 

My experiences in life as an observer have shown me that you can't respond or keep up with all the things that people do or say and I am sure that is why Queen Elizabeth has mostly had an ignore or no response from the chaos that goes on around royal things. Things get transmorgified (thank you Calvin and Hobbs for that useful word) and lost in the translation. I have always thought that her no response response was the perfect solution to having a more productive royal life and productive input into the public aspect of her life. 

Edited by stewedsquash · Reason: made it a separate paragraph
  • Like 4

Royal protocol articles go in this vicious cycle. A website needs clicks so it posts something outrageous about someone breaking Royal protocol, usually a woman because that gets more clicks.

Then people pick it up about how ridiculous the Royal protocol is and call it sexism. Then it comes back on the Royals who are awful to women because they have this protocol. But the protocol doesn't exist it's just made up by a site that wants clicks who's achieved clicks by getting people outraged and Royals take the blame.

There are plenty of things to blame Royals for, those protocol articles aren't one of them.

Oooooo Kitty Spencer is getting married.

This could have been a good one for fashion and jewels pre covid.

• Like 9

Randomly, I love that Kate is taking charge of the public image of her kids through her photography. 

• Like 15

20 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I ignored those relatives for decades, ignoring tabloids is even easier because I don't have to attend dinners with tabloids.

Back to royal news!

Tessy got married! She's the ex of Louis of Luxembourg. She had her first child with him before marriage when he was 19 and she was 20. Such scandal!

I wonder how much they paid her to keep her mouth shut about Maria Teresa.

Also, hate the dress, but love the shoes. 

I like-ish the dress, would probably love it if the sash was a different color (it clashes with his blue suit!) and agree with love the shoes part. 

Ahhh, Kitty Spenser and weddings. I have been immersed in weddings/baby showers for almost three  darn just realized it is four! years now. I hate the planning part but absolutely love to watch the process and see the end results. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Randomly, I love that Kate is taking charge of the public image of her kids through her photography. 

Totally agree. I absolutely adore the photos she takes of them because the kids always look so relaxed and at ease because Mum is taking their pic, and not some rando photo. She really does have a great photographic eye as well. They are growing up in such a completely bizarre environment that can really mess a person up. It is great to see how happy they seem to be and how involved their parents are with them. I also love how they both, Wills and Kate, almost always kneel down to interact with the kids, rather than towering over them. They do seem to be very loving and involved parents. Another supposed "break of protocol" I suppose, for those who believe the media's whole obsession with "royal protocol" most of which, as has been said, is completely and utterly made up. 

• Like 6

Well to be fair Kate isn't just a mom snapping the pix. She's long had a passion for photography. She used to photograph for her Mom's company Party Pieces.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Party Pieces

You can imagine some of those really upper crust toffs debating whether that name is dreadful or ghastly.

tenor.gif

• Laugh 11

I had a little fun writing this parody of the "royal protocol" articles. Here it is:

Kate's SHOCKING Breach of Royal Protocol, and Why the Queen is FURIOUS!

Today in a visit to open a children's cancer ward at a hospital Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, committed a SHOCKING breach of royal protocol as she breathed visibly more than once per minute.

Royal expert Tom Stickenbutt says, "Royal protocol is clear. Royal women are not supposed to inhale or exhale more than once a minute. Notice the Queen. She NEVER breathes more than once a minute." 

Stickenbutt continued, "You can see in the videos Kate is visibly exhaling once every 10 seconds. This is a silent marker of class. One of the first things royal women learn to do is breath control. It's not very posh to breathe like a plebian."

Royal biographer Sally Prisse explained further. "There are exceptions to this rule -- if someone is having an asthma attack or suffering from covid obviously you are allowed to modify your breathing patterns. But for Kate, there's no excuse."

Prisse said that it's likely Her Majesty the Queen will call Kate in for a discussion on more dignified breathing in the future.

• Laugh 15

Careful, if the tabs are trolling for news this story might make Page 6! Next thing you know, all the Royalists will be holding their breath in an attempt to seem more "royal" and dropping like flies....hmmm, maybe not such a bad thing. 

I'm not entirely convinced the Queen breaths at all. I mean, I've never seen her actually inhale. I'm not entirely convinced she isn't a really advanced audio-animatronic. Disney's ultimate RL princess (well, Queen, but she was princess once upon a time)!!!! 

• Laugh 11

Kitty Spencer!

E7KpE1aXoAwYpvE?format=jpg&name=medium

image.thumb.jpeg.f2d563748ab920b6c1e73717917e5e35.jpeg

I don’t like any of these three, but she looks gorgeous.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 7

That wedding dress is sooooo not my taste. It's just too much lace and I hate the exposed corset wedding dress look. UGH. That said, it fits her great!

The evening reception gown OTOH, is totally my thing. it reminds me of something Grace Kelly would have worn. IDK what the front looks like, but the back is epic. 

• Like 11

I'm never a fan of that type of Pnina-esque lingerie type bodice.  But she does look beautiful from the chin up!

ETA: It's a severe look, with the slicked straight hair and updo, super high neck, long sleeves, and quite prominent contour.  I want to at least lose the turtleneck.

Edited by ancslove · Reason: ETA more thoughts
  • Like 4

These fashions are stunning, maybe not what would work on me. That being said, she is gorgeous and would probably look stunning in a potato sack.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

The evening reception gown OTOH, is totally my thing. it reminds me of something Grace Kelly would have worn. IDK what the front looks like, but the back is epic. 

Me too.  I wouldn't even mind the blue one if it weren't for the see-thru part of it.  I absolutely love the flowers on both. 

• Like 2

I am absolutely loving the blue dress and the evening reception one. The day time dress is fugly, though. 

• Like 2

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.