Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

Wait, Will & family spend time with the Middletons? This is terrible! Raising a non-inbred child to be happy and healthy not just of the body but of the mind? This'll bring the monarchy down for sure. Who's the nearest female relative of breeding age? Wikipedia says that Beatrice doesn't have any kids yet. I'm sorry, but it's for the good of the monarchy.

Actually, while I wouldn't mind if the monarchy was brought down, I doubt it'll be a result of Will's parenting style.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 13

I think a lot of people think of the royals as very Shakespearean. Always huge drama, jealousy, scheming, and a strict world order. 

A long time ago I met this English gentleman who would have been horrified by yesterday's sight of Will at the Euros. This gentleman (that always wanted to be addressed as Sir _______) considered football/soccer to be "a commoners' hobby" and he said royals "cheapened themselves" when they attended such events. 

• Laugh 4

Bea is already spawning with creepy Edo. Lady Louise is way too young. Wills is going to have to suffer along with Commoner Kate. HORRORS! 

Felipe and Letizia looking good but without any fashion at all. They look like my neighbors going for a nightly walk.

45348337-9780373-image-a-2_1626096566365

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match.

It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour.

It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable. W

— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) July 12, 2021

As head of the English Football Association, I thought William's comment about racism directed at the English players was appropriate and heart felt.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

Infanta Sofia is out and about and her hair is GORGEOUS. When I was her age, my hair was always a tangled mess.

• Like 4

Can we put some respect on Kate's earrings at the Euro match? Totally isn't her type of jewelry and I loved it.

Kate-Football-Final-White-Zara-Blazer-Ju

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Can we put some respect on Kate's earrings at the Euro match? Totally isn't her type of jewelry and I loved it.

Kate-Football-Final-White-Zara-Blazer-Ju

Absolutely agree!  She's always so modest and conservative in her appearance (IMO)...these earring were FUN! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, GaT said:

William just needs to just shut up about racism at this point, he just keeps looking more & more stupid.

Meghan Markle & Prince William Are Trending After His Tweet About Racism

I really don't understand how they can't see how their behavior looks, do they really think people have just forgotten how she was treated.?

I think he's rather damned if he does or doesn't, now.  And honestly, I'll hate it if every time he speaks up appropriately on social issues (and his remarks here were appropriate - he's head of the English Football Association), there's an outcry of "Why didn't you help Meghan??".  

• Like 19
  • Useful 1

11 minutes ago, ancslove said:

I think he's rather damned if he does or doesn't, now.  And honestly, I'll hate it if every time he speaks up appropriately on social issues (and his remarks here were appropriate - he's head of the English Football Association), there's an outcry of "Why didn't you help Meghan??".  

While I certainly agree that his remarks were appropriate in this situation, I'm going to have to disagree about there not being an outcry for Meghan. He never said a word about the abuse his own sister in law was getting. He never stepped up & stood with his own brother against the racism. He didn't say a damn thing until things got nasty at a football game, so sorry, no, I hope every time he tries to tell people how "woke" he is, there is an outcry about Meghan.

• Like 13

Do I think it was a terrible move not to publically support Meghan? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't learn and act better moving forward. Who would benefit from that? 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Do I think it was a terrible move not to publically support Meghan? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't learn and act better moving forward. Who would benefit from that? 

He could, but he hasn't. We haven't heard a single word from him about Meghan. He had the perfect opportunity to say something in this tweet, but he didn't. He could have sent out a message at any time, but he hasn't said a word. Until I hear something from him about how Meghan was treated, I'm not going to believe anything he says about how he's against racism. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, ancslove said:

I think speech, or lack thereof, always comes with consequences.  For William and the BRF, there will be lingering consequences for their refusal to speak out when their family member was subject to abhorrent racist language/imagery in the press/social media.  If, going forward, they can speak out, as William has done here, and use their considerable platform to condemn racism, consistently and unequivocally, then I think they'll see less and less of an outcry when they do.  But it will take time.  They have a LOT of work to do before people, like myself, stop giving them the side eye when they make comments like William did yesterday.

I think you're right that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't right now - and he's created that dilemma himself.  If he wants that to change, he's got to do the work, IMO.

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, ancslove said:

This is they way I feel. I tend to give William and Kate more benefit of the doubt over what happened with Meghan because they really aren’t free to speak about many issues even if they would like to. People assume they could help but Meghan herself raised the possibility that Kate was prevented from speaking out in support. 

• Like 6

The difference is that the people raining down racism on the soccer players are nameless, faceless fans.  The majority of the vitriol against Meghan was engineered by the press and fed by 'unnamed sources' inside the palace.

It is easy to decry something that is objectively wrong and has no personal stakes for you that you can safely comment on from a distance. It is harder to do when the very act can result in consequences to you. 

Making a statement now when the Royal family has always been very studiedly closemouthed about stuff like this smacks of insincerity and pandering.  It is no wonder people immediately jumped on it. 

• Like 18

I'm of the opinion that any discussion of the racism suffered by Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka needs to repeat their names over and over and over and over and over and over again. Support should be pouring in for them. This happened to them. I find it inappropriate for anyone to co-opt these horrible acts to engender sympathy or support for themselves. No one should be talking about what happened to these men except in terms related to these men. Hey Willie (and stans/PR firm), hey Meg (and stans/PR firm), it's not fucking about you, so step the fuck off and let it be about the people who actually matter.

And I would give a flying fuck about Twitter trending it if weren't powered by paid bot armies.

But hey, here's what's fun in royal watching, what's going on with Charlene's hair?

93bade65e36bede32cc344baedb31f24?width=6

I am a big fan of super short haircuts for women, but the front of this...the straightness of the bangs, is just not working for her.

a23faca28cf21dcb9a9202e8de5e7985

Now maybe if she dyed it blue? Something that makes it look...healthier.

Also, the Queen is in eye-searing green and it pains me.

Ag6SRpVa?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: To clarify who I'm telling to step off.
  • Like 11

Meghan hasn't done anything. Blame the people who made the comparisons between the two situations. 

• Like 6

I'm of the opinion that speaking out against racism is ALWAYS good, even if its hypocritical. If George Wallace were to rise from the dead and speak out against racism, I'd still applaud it. Many people live up to their words about racism. Other people (and maybe Will is in this camp) speaks up about racism without reflecting on how he himself can improve. 

Anyway, the attacks against the three kickers is about more than just racism. Much was made in the press about how this team was young and diverse and British soccer fans had shed their bad reputation. And they lose and it's the same shit again with the racist attacks and asshat behavior from the fans. 

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Thanks! I knew it was a big name, but I totally blanked. 

The muggers took his Richard Mille prototype watch as he was exiting Wembley and heading for the parking garage.

Good luck attempting to sell that, you arseholes!

On topic: Lando was dressed smartly in a suit like William and George and he actually looked like a young man, not like a teenager in an oversized polo shirt and trainers. 

F1 & Royals bit o' random trivia: Peter Phillips met his ex-wife Autumn at the Montreal Grand Prix when he was working for Williams F1. I had SUCH a crush on him when I was younger. 

He's single again now, so...maybe.....?????

I'm kidding.

He's too Windsored for my personal taste.

Edited by Bridget
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I think this is an older photo of her, but Victoria looks gorgeous in this. 

E6QnYa4XEAcvJWk?format=jpg&name=small

Happy birthday indeed.

Japanese royalty is a mess, and the current emperor is just now getting vaccinated ahead of the Olympics.

Story

This is an old photo as well, but I am loving this hat on Mathilde of Belgium.

E5wRELtXsAkcalI?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 9

And now there is speculation all over the internet that Charles may deny Edward the Duke of Edinburgh title...

• Like 1
  • Surprise 3

48 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

And now there is speculation all over the internet that Charles may deny Edward the Duke of Edinburgh title...

Every other story seems to have been based on one feature in Murdoch's Sunday Times, rife with "now it is emerging" and "it is understood" insinuations. Awaiting a different source.  

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Any word on why the Prince of Wales might be contemplating this? It's not as though he has oodles of lineal male descendants besides Prince Louis of Cambridge and Master Archie Windsor-Mountbatten who could use it (with Prince George of Cambridge likely becoming  Prince George of Wales, then George, Prince of Wales before his own kingship). 

• Like 2

Considering the main source seems to be Rupert Murdoch, I take it with a HUGE grain of salt.   Must be a slow news day.

As to why he might - well Charles has always said he wants to slim down the monarchy so consolidating titles to just his family might be one way.   I mean Charlotte's spouse is going to need a title.  

But honestly see my first paragraph.    I will believe it only when Charles himself puts out a statement.  

• Like 11

Perhaps people are wondering why it hasn't happened yet, and aren't realizing that he can't de-activate it for himself and re-activate it for Edward until he's King? I mean, I suppose the Queen could strip him of it, and re-create it for Edward, but probably doesn't want to do that. I don't think he will do anything shady - Edward and Sophie, after a bit of a rough start, have been hard workers for the Firm, and with Andrew's family out of the running for engagements, there would only be C/C, W/K, and Anne to carry the whole load (at least while W/K's kids are young or in school.) It would be a bad look to deny Edward a royal dukedom like every other monarch's son, even if he wants to scale back their public roles. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

It's not as though he has oodles of lineal male descendants besides Prince Louis of Cambridge and Master Archie Windsor-Mountbatten who could use it

True, but there are probably 2 titles that probably aren't going to be used for Louis and Archie, due to the previous holder of one and current holder of another, the Dukedoms of Windsor and York.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

True, but there are probably 2 titles that probably aren't going to be used for Louis and Archie, due to the previous holder of one and current holder of another, the Dukedoms of Windsor and York.

Isn't the Duke of York traditionally given to the second son of the monarch?  After Prince Andrew dies, it will be available for Prince Louis.

• Like 2

Traditionally, yes, but who would want to be associated with the title now?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I think you overestimate any stigma attached to the actual title Duke of York.  That's an ancient title and will long survive Andrew's shame. Especially considering I bet most of the world would think of "Prince Andrew" first, and not necessarily "Duke of York".   Hell, I'd have thought that Duke of Clarence would be out, going back to Edward IV's brother who got himself executed (possibly by drowning in a vat of wine), but that has also been repurposed.  There's no way, barring ending the monarchy all together or a tragically young death, that Prince Louis won't one day be Duke of York.

Duke of Windsor is the more uncertain one, for me.  That title was specifically created for the former Edward VIII, and hasn't been used before or since.  

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

There's a whole pile of royal dukedoms left.  I mean, Queen Vicky found enough for all her sons, right?  

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Although some of Victoria's children were given German/European titles that don't belong to the British Crown anymore.  Her second son got Albert's title of Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.  Another son had an Irish dukedom.  The youngest son was Duke of Albany, the traditional Scottish equivalent of Duke of York (i.e. given to the second son of the King of Scotland) but that title was suspended during WWI.  Considering the Scottish independence movement, I doubt Elizabeth or Charles will bring that title back for Windsor princes any time soon.

Otherwise, Duke of Gloucester and Duke of Kent titles will be passed down to the sons of the current holders, and the titles technically won't be "royal dukedoms" anymore.  Duke of Clarence is still up for grabs - I think that was one of the possibilities for William and/or Harry before the Queen settled on Cambridge and Sussex.  

Although (since this post has already become an essay - sorry!) it may end up being a fairly moot point, as even royal parents aren't having as many children as they used to, and Charles is looking to keep the monarchy a fairly nuclear-family affair.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

On 7/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, BlackberryJam said:

He's not the backside of a baboon, and really, if you lop off his head, he has a nice body for a man his age, but dude isn't hot. At all.

A hot royal, CARL PHILIP.

Here he is with baby Julian on his lap, Alexander (middle), Gabriel and wife Sofia.

45347447-9780201-Princess_Sofia_and_Prin

Carl Philip is very handsome. 

5 hours ago, ancslove said:

Although some of Victoria's children were given German/European titles that don't belong to the British Crown anymore.  Her second son got Albert's title of Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.  Another son had an Irish dukedom.  The youngest son was Duke of Albany, the traditional Scottish equivalent of Duke of York (i.e. given to the second son of the King of Scotland) but that title was suspended during WWI.  Considering the Scottish independence movement, I doubt Elizabeth or Charles will bring that title back for Windsor princes any time soon.

Otherwise, Duke of Gloucester and Duke of Kent titles will be passed down to the sons of the current holders, and the titles technically won't be "royal dukedoms" anymore.  Duke of Clarence is still up for grabs - I think that was one of the possibilities for William and/or Harry before the Queen settled on Cambridge and Sussex.  

Although (since this post has already become an essay - sorry!) it may end up being a fairly moot point, as even royal parents aren't having as many children as they used to, and Charles is looking to keep the monarchy a fairly nuclear-family affair.  

Yes. Once Princess Anne dies, Charlotte will become The Princess Royal. Louis will be Duke of York after Andrew dies most likely. 

Depending on how many/if George has children, the titles they receive will depend on what’s available. But given how long QE has lived and the monarchy has changed, I don’t see the children of Charlotte or Louis getting titles at birth even if William (and not George) is king when the children are born. Being the grandchild of a monarch may not guarantee a Royal title unless your parent is next in line. 

7 hours ago, ancslove said:

Duke of Windsor is the more uncertain one, for me.  That title was specifically created for the former Edward VIII, and hasn't been used before or since.  

I don’t think that will be used again. Too much disgrace attached to it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Frost said:

Isn't the Duke of York traditionally given to the second son of the monarch?  After Prince Andrew dies, it will be available for Prince Louis.

That’s mainly a tradition because the second son frequently ascends to the throne and passes his former title to his second son. Or when Queen Elizabeth gave her father’s former title to her second son. It seems to be more about availability and sentimentality than tradition. I wouldn’t be surprised if Louis eventually gets the Cambridge Dukedom. 

12 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I mean, I suppose the Queen could strip him of it, and re-create it for Edward, but probably doesn't want to do that. 

The Queen alone can’t strip the title from Charles. That would require action by Parliament and would have other consequences. Charles also can’t decline the title without it impacting his ability to be King. Even if the title was declined or stripped it would mostly just be held for William to inherit eventually. Even the Titles Deprivation Act 1917 which removed titles from those who fought against Britain allowed for future heirs to petition to receive the title. 

12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

As to why he might - well Charles has always said he wants to slim down the monarchy so consolidating titles to just his family might be one way.   I mean Charlotte's spouse is going to need a title.  

Those titles don’t have any impact of the size of the monarchy. It’s the person who holds the title that determines if it a royal Dukedom or not. For example, Gloucester is a royal Dukedom because Prince Richard is a royal but once the title passes down to his son it becomes a non-royal Dukedom. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The Princess Royal title is a tricky one inasmuch as only one person can have it at a time. So, yes, once Anne dies, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge could get it- but only after her father William become king since it's strictly only for the eldest surviving marital daughter of a monarch and Charles has no marital female offspring. 

Hence, if Anne dies before William becomes king, Princess Charlotte will just have to wait for that to happen and there will be no Princess Royal  until that happens.

Of course, should Anne somehow hit the longevity gene jackpot (since both her parents and maternal grandmother made it to the 90's) and somehow outlive both Charles and William, then Charlotte would be out of luck because George could not bestow it to her as his sister- only for his own firstborn marital daughter. 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

I don’t see the children of Charlotte or Louis getting titles at birth even if William (and not George) is king when the children are born. Being the grandchild of a monarch may not guarantee a Royal title unless your parent is next in line. 

Wouldn't Louis' kids have the right be princes and princesses if William was king? I thought the monarch's male line grandchildren have that right. I know Edward supposedly declined that for his kids, and Anne's kids weren't entitled to it (plus she and her then husband declined any sort of title for Philip), but Andrew's kids are princesses. So in theory, why not Louis' kids?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Of course, should Anne somehow hit the longevity gene jackpot (since both her parents and maternal grandmother made it to the 90's) and somehow outlive both Charles and William, then Charlotte would be out of luck because George could not bestow it to her as his sister- only for his own firstborn marital daughter. 

The more I read about the royals, the more my opinion goes down. They're just so bound up in tradition and ritual, acting like these fancy titles and procedures actually mean something. It's all made up! Rules can be changed or even abandoned! The whole thing exists only in the heads of those who believe. If they get disillusioned any time soon, the whole extended Windsor family is in trouble.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Wouldn't the Duke of Yokr be passed down to his daughters?   Or is a male line entailed only title?

As for Princess Royal, while there is only one holder of the title at a time, it will not automatically become Charlotte's if available.   It is not REQUIRED to be bestowed.   This article explains more:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Royal

Who knows by the time William is King, Charlotte may not want it.   Although she will stand higher in the line of succession than any of her predecessors (and her brother Louis and his kids will NOT displace her)

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 7

Maxie and WAxie don't always smile.    Europe is being devastated by floods right now.   The King and Queen went to visit with some people affected:

I actually like them even MORE after this photo.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Dani said:

The Queen alone can’t strip the title from Charles. That would require action by Parliament and would have other consequences. Charles also can’t decline the title without it impacting his ability to be King. Even if the title was declined or stripped it would mostly just be held for William to inherit eventually. Even the Titles Deprivation Act 1917 which removed titles from those who fought against Britain allowed for future heirs to petition to receive the title. 

Thanks - it's clear that if posters on a US message board can look this stuff up, so can the media. They just want clickbait. If the Queen died before Philip, Edward would still have to wait until Philip died, but Charles (as King) would be able to do something right away, though as Philip's eldest son the title still would have made a brief stop in Charles' list.

I still think he won't deny it to Edward - he seems to despise Andrew (not unreasonably,) but seems fine with Edward. It would also hugely disrespect both his parents' wishes, be terrible PR, and cause another round of clickbait wars. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Wouldn't the Duke of Yokr be passed down to his daughters?   Or is a male line entailed only title?

When Andrew dies, his daughters cannot inherit the duchy of York.  Only sons can inherit peerage titles.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Maxie and WAxie don't always smile.    Europe is being devastated by floods right now.   The King and Queen went to visit with some people affected:

I actually like them even MORE after this photo.  

I hadn't posted these because it's not light or fun, but yes, important.

E6aQgmTXoAQ27oN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This is Valkenburg yesterday. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Blergh said:

The Princess Royal title is a tricky one inasmuch as only one person can have it at a time. So, yes, once Anne dies, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge could get it- but only after her father William become king since it's strictly only for the eldest surviving marital daughter of a monarch and Charles has no marital female offspring. 

Hence, if Anne dies before William becomes king, Princess Charlotte will just have to wait for that to happen and there will be no Princess Royal  until that happens.

Right- given that women tend to live longer than men, and Anne is only a year and some change younger than Charles, I am expecting her to die pretty close to when he does but after him (of course no one knows these things). If Anne is deceased and William king, Charlotte can be The Princess Royal. If Anne outlives both her brother and her nephew, we wont have A Princess Royal for a while, until/if George has a marital daughter.

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It is a male line title only.  Given Andrew has no marital sons, when he dies it will revert back to the crown.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Wouldn't Louis' kids have the right be princes and princesses if William was king? I thought the monarch's male line grandchildren have that right. I know Edward supposedly declined that for his kids, and Anne's kids weren't entitled to it (plus she and her then husband declined any sort of title for Philip), but Andrew's kids are princesses. So in theory, why not Louis' kids?

They do as things stand now, but given Charles' desire to trim down the monarchy, and the York Princesses not being working Royals (even though they are titled), that may change. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I hadn't posted these because it's not light or fun, but yes, important.

E6aQgmTXoAQ27oN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This is Valkenburg yesterday. 

Maxima looks like she is about to bust out crying at the devastation.   Love how she has to hold up her pants rather than tuck them in like William Alexander.   I absolutely love the boots.   So totally not trying to make a fashion statement at this moment.

• Like 4

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.