Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

White is never a mistake at Wimbledon.

That is Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. And my, doesn't he look like a very disapproving butler. 

He is very very Windsored.  

Letizia shoes perfectly match the dress.   I'm in awe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Imagine if the statue was based on this...it could have been the ultimate FU to Chuck & Cam...

article-2171096-13FED8D3000005DC-195_634

I was hoping for a statue version of Diana dancing with Travolta.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Do I personally think that that statue was the most idealized or lifelike recreation imaginable of the late Princess of Wales? No.

However, if her sons (her nearest surviving kin and heirs)  approved it and like it, IMO that's all that matters. 

• Like 7

Is everyone comparing it to Diana in her 30s?  Because surely it is intended to show how she would look today.

2 hours ago, Quof said:

Is everyone comparing it to Diana in her 30s?  Because surely it is intended to show how she would look today.

I don’t think that was the intention. The official statement said, “The portrait and style of dress was based on the final period of her life as she gained confidence in her role as an ambassador for humanitarian causes and aims to convey her character and compassion.” 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, Quof said:

She was only 36 when she died, wasn’t she?

• Like 1

I've already posted about it, but on reflection, I like the statute even less.  Not only is it a poor likeness, but it's really not attractive.  Then there is the kind of confusion about the placement and actions of the children.  I just feel like there could have been a more appealing pose with some gravitas. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

In the wedding photo, I love the white everywhere and the red carpet behind it all. Confused about the flower petals. Here they are tossed on the aisle by flower girls for the bride to walk on when entering the ceremony, there it seems guests? are throwing them after the ceremony?

In the UK, it has always been traditional to throw confetti over the newly married couple as they leave the church after the wedding ceremony. The nature of that confetti has taken many forms over the years. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s it was made of paper. Then people started using sparkly sequins as confetti. These days, flower petals are used as they are environmentally friendly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

In the UK, it has always been traditional to throw confetti over the newly married couple as they leave the church after the wedding ceremony. The nature of that confetti has taken many forms over the years. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s it was made of paper. Then people started using sparkly sequins as confetti. These days, flower petals are used as they are environmentally friendly.

Throwing flower petals after the wedding is also becoming more popular in the US now that people realize how bad an idea it is to throw rice. 

On 7/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, stewedsquash said:

Also, is there a larger or different picture that shows the bride attendants at the very top of that picture? They seem to be wearing dresses with a pink and brown pattern and I would love to see them.

image.thumb.jpeg.b10f22fe13abd3a68ba9b085c4e1be35.jpeg

• Like 4

I hope Diana's sons like the statue.  To me it doesn't evoke her much at all. Her face looks severe, as if she's a school matron marshaling the children onto a bus.  Diana's flashing charm, one of her attractive qualities, is entirely absent.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I hope Diana's sons like the statue.  To me it doesn't evoke her much at all. Her face looks severe, as if she's a school matron marshaling the children onto a bus.  Diana's flashing charm, one of her attractive qualities, is entirely absent.

Yes, she looks too somber and serious.  Even when she was comforting AIDS patients and touring mine fields; Diana was luminous, with a warmth and empathy that I just don't see in this sculpture.  Her face is too serious; she needs to look relaxed and happy.  I realize it is bronze, but surely a talented sculptor could portray her liveliness better than this.

• Like 3

Lady Louise out driving Phil’s carriage.

E5cn3mPXIAMOEKJ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Stephanie and Guillaume out with cute baby Prince Charles.

E5Wyp_1WQAQ220l?format=jpg&name=large

Hate the color, but she looks so comfortable in that caftan.

E5W039fWEAAACnE?format=jpg&name=large

Happy 84th to Queen Sonja. She looks great.

E5dSOl5XoAM-qio?format=jpg&name=900x900

The work on that dress is gorgeous, but it looks a little itchy.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

The color is great too. Looks perfect with her colouring. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Lady Louise out driving Phil’s carriage.

E5cn3mPXIAMOEKJ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Stephanie and Guillaume out with cute baby Prince Charles.

E5Wyp_1WQAQ220l?format=jpg&name=large

Hate the color, but she looks so comfortable in that caftan.

E5W039fWEAAACnE?format=jpg&name=large

Happy 84th to Queen Sonja. She looks great.

E5dSOl5XoAM-qio?format=jpg&name=900x900

How sweet that Lady Louise looks delighted to be driving her grandfather's carriage.  That shade of green and, especially, that incredible chapeau, look great with her coloring, too.

• Like 5

Prince Charles reveals the songs that give him 'an irresistible urge to get up and dance'

Charles discussed some of his favorite songs from throughout his life, including "Givin' Up, Givin' In," which The Three Degrees performed at his 30th birthday, and which "long ago, used to provide me with an irresistible urge to get up and dance."

Anybody else having a hard time picturing Charles getting up & dancing around?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 12

The Queen awarded the George Cross (the highest civilian honor) to the NHS on their 73rd anniversary.   

Charles has kicked off Wales week by going to the grocery store:

And Duchess Kate is self isolating due to a Covid Contact.   She was supposed to attend the NHS Service of Thanksgiving at St. Paul's and the NHS tea afterwards.   William will attend instead.   

• Like 9

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Queen awarded the George Cross (the highest civilian honor) to the NHS on their 73rd anniversary.   

And Duchess Kate is self isolating due to a Covid Contact.   She was supposed to attend the NHS Service of Thanksgiving at St. Paul's and the NHS tea afterwards.   William will attend instead.   

Oh, I REALLY like that Her Majesty bestowed the George Cross to the National Health Services! It truly highlighted the struggles and heroism they had had to endure this past year with this affliction- and it reminded me of when her father George VI bestowed the very same honor to the people of Malta for their heroism and courage in resisting the combined NAZI and Italian Fascist onslaughts on their beseiged archipelago during WWII!  Now, of course, the thousands of employees of the National Health Services will have the same problem that the Maltese had- how do all those scores of folks decide who and when every individual gets to wear it? 

Seriously, it's a well-deserved honor for them! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Well the ending was a tease. I hoped we'd see Charles getting down on the Buckingham Palace balcony.

Edited by bijoux
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

These dancing videos are the most I've ever liked Charles, and I dunno, but in the one below, I'm kinda seeing how he was once considered an international playboy? Should I see myself out or is he giving "Next-In-Line-For-My-Bed" vibes here?

10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Speaking-Hips-Prince-Charles-Used-Love-B

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, GiuliettaMasina said:

These dancing videos are the most I've ever liked Charles, and I dunno, but in the one below, I'm kinda seeing how he was once considered an international playboy? Should I see myself out or is he giving "Next-In-Line-For-My-Bed" vibes here?

Get down, Chuck!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Duchess of Cambridge forced to self-isolate after Covid-19 contact

The source said the duchess is tested for Covid-19 twice a week with lateral flow tests, in line with the royal household's testing system. She has also received both doses of her Covid-19 vaccine, the source added.

Sorry, I missed the post above by @merylinkid where this was already posted.

Edited by GaT
  • Sad 1

Because of the way Maxima's hair is, and that the photo was small when I first glanced at it, I thought she had the tiara on at a jaunty slant and I was loving it. She looks great in the tiara and in that dress. She's my favorite Royal Fashionista because girl takes some risks with her style and I love her for it, even when the risks leave me scratching my head. lol

6 hours ago, GiuliettaMasina said:

Should I see myself out or is he giving "Next-In-Line-For-My-Bed" vibes here?

I'm seeing it. That little curl of hair falling over his forehead really works for him. 

• Like 8

Any shade of purple is my favorite color and especially when it is paired with a gold color. I love that dress and that she is dripping in jewels. I have never liked the one shoulder look but this one is semi-converting me. I do wish it covered both shoulders though, really. 

Looking at Charles being so like-able above makes me wish that he and Diana had made a go of their marriage. Imagine what they could have accomplished if they stuck with it for the long haul, made an effort to just be happy. sigh

Edited by stewedsquash · Reason: too many thoughs
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Looking at Charles being so like-able above makes me wish that he and Diana had made a go of their marriage. Imagine what they could have accomplished if they stuck with it for the long haul, made an effort to just be happy. sigh

But Charles was very jealous of all the attention she received when they'd do those walk-abouts. He'd be on one side of the street, Diana on the other and the crowds on his side were always disgruntled. They wanted her on their side.

• Like 3

Oh, I know. And that is why I sighed. I was pondering what could have been if they had chosen a different path in how they dealt with what they both brought to the marriage. 

• Like 4

Maxima in a tiara! State visit to Germany.

I'm interested in the outfit the gloved wonder behind them is wearing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

But Charles was very jealous of all the attention she received when they'd do those walk-abouts. He'd be on one side of the street, Diana on the other and the crowds on his side were always disgruntled. They wanted her on their side.

Sigh.   He is going to be King.   Nothing would change that.   But Emo Charles just couldn't handle someone else getting attention.    On the other hand, Diana let her own insecurities get in the way.     If BOTH of them had just acted like adults instead of emoting all over the place things could have been so different.   Sigh.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Maxima should have stayed in the tiara.

Oh hell no! I love it. I love that giant freaking hat that takes over her head.

E5nS5pFWUAU5gRX?format=jpg&name=medium

Now the dress? That's a disaster. GIMME that hat.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

I love that giant freaking hat that takes over her head.

Straight from the Gotham City Chic by Poison Ivy Paris autumn 2021 runway.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Ha, I love the flipping hat!

2 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Is that... an owl?

I thought bird's nest made out of feathers, which eewww weird. 

I enlarged it and it is indeed feathers but they are made into a bunch of shamrock like flowers. 

Opposites again BlackberryJam in that I love the dress. I also love that I get to see the gold gloves and shoes again, with a different outfit. And that the dude matched his tie to her accessories. 

I kind of wish we wore hats over here. Just for formal things. And I would totally go over the top with them. 

10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I'm interested in the outfit the gloved wonder behind them is wearing.

Someone in the comments section of that picture asked who she was. She was the wife of the dude they were visiting. Apparently she broke her foot recently and that is why she was using crutches. I love that she embraced wearing long white gloves. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Sigh.   He is going to be King.   Nothing would change that.   But Emo Charles just couldn't handle someone else getting attention.    On the other hand, Diana let her own insecurities get in the way.     If BOTH of them had just acted like adults instead of emoting all over the place things could have been so different.   Sigh.

Agree that it's sad that neither of them seemed to consider just relaxing and learning to love each other for the kind of person the other actually WAS instead of constantly trying to outflank the other. 

If nothing else, I would like to think that the Prince of Wales DID use the ten years after the union's end and eight years after his first wife's death to reflect on his more negative contributions to their union- and has used that to be a better spouse to the Duchess of Cornwall since their marriage!

• Like 6

Baby Prince Charles went visiting.

It’s rare to see Stephanie at an event without him.

Loving this blue dress.

• Like 2

Oh thank goodness she lost the hat.    I guess it took flight on its own.   If we hear of any reports of UFOs over Germany in the next couple of days we know what it is.   

Love Maxima's evening wear.   Her day outfits can be a bit much sometimes.   

Baby Charles is addooooooorabbbbble.   

3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Ha, I love the flipping hat!

5 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Is that... an owl?

I thought bird's nest made out of feathers, which eewww weird. 

I enlarged it and it is indeed feathers but they are made into a bunch of shamrock like flowers. 

Opposites again BlackberryJam in that I love the dress. I also love that I get to see the gold gloves and shoes again, with a different outfit. And that the dude matched his tie to her accessories. 

I kind of wish we wore hats over here. Just for formal things. And I would totally go over the top with them. 

Right there with you on the hats thing.   Although I would not go overboard.   I wore a hat for my wedding just because I could

• Like 2

Fred, Christian and Mary at Wembly.

45159387-9765801-The_Australian_born_roy

What a great looking family. I hope they get photos with Will...maybe George too. 

• Like 5

I think Charles and Diana just didn't like each other.  They had such similar backgrounds that they THOUGHT they'd hit it off, but they didn't. Neither of them had the maturity to deal with their disagreements in a mature manner either.

• Like 4

Zara and Mike at Wimbledon.

699616d670c876d7077ccef60e0daee2

You know after a stuffy balcony event, you can slip back to Mike and Zara's for drinks and gossip.

William dorking it up talking to Mary.

E5t3QluWUAcujym?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Charles and Diana just didn't like each other.  They had such similar backgrounds that they THOUGHT they'd hit it off, but they didn't. Neither of them had the maturity to deal with their disagreements in a mature manner either.

They were matched. He was 30, still single and still in love with Camilla. I think the concern was that like his great uncle David he'd choose someone who would be considered unsuitable. I'm not  sure Diana knew.

• Like 3

The QE2 on the set of Coronation Street.

Wills at Wembley.  Not sure what's going on with him, but his skin is looking good. It looks like he finally found a product to address his redness. Either that or someone is being kind with photoshop.

Sophie with dogs.

Love the skirt. 

• Like 4

Bea, Creepy Edo and Sophie at the tennis!

Her dress is super cute. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, bobalina said:

They were matched. He was 30, still single and still in love with Camilla. I think the concern was that like his great uncle David he'd choose someone who would be considered unsuitable. I'm not  sure Diana knew.

The MAIN flaw with 'great-uncle David' was that he hadn't married a 'suitable' bride before he had all these flings with these married women. His own playboy grandfather Edward VII at least DID marry 'Alix' of Denmark and sired a good sized family with her even though he carried on with all these affairs. 

I suppose the thinking was that if the current Prince of Wales married a 'suitable' bride and the two of them had their heir and spare, it wouldn't matter  how he carried on with other women afterwards. Of course, they totally underestimated both how times had changed from the mid -19th century AND how the late Princess of Wales was not about to turn a blind eye. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

The MAIN flaw with 'great-uncle David' was that he hadn't married a 'suitable' bride before he had all these flings with these married women. His own playboy grandfather Edward VII at least DID marry 'Alix' of Denmark and sired a good sized family with her even though he carried on with all these affairs. 

I suppose the thinking was that if the current Prince of Wales married a 'suitable' bride and the two of them had their heir and spare, it wouldn't matter  how he carried on with other women afterwards. Of course, they totally underestimated both how times had changed from the mid -19th century AND how the late Princess of Wales was not about to turn a blind eye. 

Yes. No one was upset that David (Edward VIII) wanted to have a private relationship with Wallis (or anyone)- it is that he did not wish to get married to an appropriate woman and have a legitimate heir (although he may have been infertile, he lived a full life span with numerous recorded partners and no one attributed a pregnancy to him?). What/whom he did after he did his duty was a private issue.

But social expectations about marriage and romantic relationships did change a bit (even among the uppercases) between the 1920/30s and the 1980s. If Charles and Diana had been on the same page about what they EACH wanted from the marriage and were honest, they maybe could've worked it out. Diana wanted a love match, Charles wanted a mother for his children and a suitable royal wife. 

I don't think romantic love is required to have a "successful" marriage or relationship, but that is if both parties go into it with the same understanding and expectation of what the relationship is supposed to bring them.

• Like 12

I don't think romantic love is required to have a "successful" marriage or relationship, but that is if both parties go into it with the same understanding and expectation of what the relationship is supposed to bring them.

Which is pretty much why Charles and Diana failed so badly as a couple.

• Like 6

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.