Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

16 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I need a summer residence. 😀

Same!  I do like how they call it a residence as opposed to a cottage.  That always makes me shake my head - at least for me anyway a 'cottage' shouldn't look like a small hotel!

• Like 4

Sophie out and about today.

Loving the skirt.

E5DGu9DX0AQSWjo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It deserves a pink jacket and not that cream/white jacket/blouse combo. Ugh.

No idea with QE2 is doing in this photo with Nicola Sturgeon, but I love it.

E5Dc67IXoAU4WwZ?format=jpg&name=large

Wills is with Betty in Scotland and I LOVE the flowers/brooch/blue combo she's wearing here.

E4-n3IlXwAgUkAZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I also love how she's fine with the  bee.

E5AEM-9WUAAnvRg?format=jpg&name=900x900

No wigging out and screaming from her.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I also love how she's fine with the  bee.

E5AEM-9WUAAnvRg?format=jpg&name=900x900

No wigging out and screaming from her.

She's making pretty aggressive eye contact with it. LOL "Don't you dare land on my purse or my person. That's it. There's a good lad." 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 5

I’ve noticed the queen is still lovely but she seems to have lost her sparkle with the passing of Prince Phillip her husband and best friend. 
Condolences to her. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Wills is with Betty in Scotland and I LOVE the flowers/brooch/blue combo she's wearing here.

I read that as "flowers/brooch/blue combo HE is wearing here."    I was rather confused for a moment.   But kinda liked the idea of Wills carrying flowers and wearing a brooch.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Will really needs to shave it all off at this point. In that last pic it looks like the barber shaved a path on the side and said "Ok I'm done".

No idea with QE2 is doing in this photo with Nicola Sturgeon, but I love it.

Whatever Liz is doing, it doesn't look like Nicola is loving it all that much lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Will really needs to shave it all off at this point. In that last pic it looks like the barber shaved a path on the side and said "Ok I'm done".

Yeah, at some point it's best to just go the full bald than try to hang on to the weird patches of hair you are barely holding on to. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Will, Kate and George went to see England play today.

E5EWuViXoAQCogP?format=jpg&name=small

Does George really need to be in a coat and tie?  I’m pretty sure Will can get his hands on an England Football jersey pretty easily. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Does George really need to be in a coat and tie?  I’m pretty sure Will can get his hands on an England Football jersey pretty easily. 

Need to be? No. Is it nice that he is? Yes. He looks charming and respectful, unlike schlubby Ed Sheeran in his mess of t-shirt. It’s Ed who looks out of place, not George.

gallery_5_3.jpg

The Cambridge kids go casual a lot, so it’s not like he’s constantly in formal attire. And dammit, that kid looks great in his little suit and tie. 

Speaking of looking great, it’s Letizia! Love this dress.

GettyImages-1325896477.jpg

This dress is gorgeous and I love the shoes.

Fred and Mary!

E47Apt6X0AgjFuz?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 13

Need to be? No. Is it nice that he is? Yes. He looks charming and respectful, unlike schlubby Ed Sheeran in his mess of t-shirt. It’s Ed who looks out of place, not George.

gallery_5_3.jpg

The Cambridge kids go casual a lot, so it’s not like he’s constantly in formal attire. And dammit, that kid looks great in his little suit and tie. 

Speaking of looking great, it’s Letizia! Love this dress.

GettyImages-1325896477.jpg

This dress is gorgeous and I love the shoes.

Fred and Mary!

E47Apt6X0AgjFuz?format=jpg&name=small

That dress is gorgeous. I would wear that and it would look nice on so many different figures and for different occasions. 

• Like 4

If you enlarge that photo of Sophie above, you can see Valentino written next to some of the flowers. I enlarged it to see if it was a brown design but it is black. I think the cream jacket works because it is (almost?) the exact shade as her shoes. What I think is throwing off the ensemble is the white blouse. I would love to see a blouse with the exact shade of pink, the exact shade of the color at the start of the stem (the part that holds the flower to the stem) or...a very, very subdued pattern that picked up the pink/stem part color. Any of those ideas would have worked for the jacket or the blouse. 

I need someone to steal that lamp behind the Queen. It has all the colors in my living room and I have been looking for a substantial accent lamp.

Letizia, just perfection. I have no critique at all. Dress is just (insert a bunch of gushing here). It is the exact thing I was trying to explain above for Sophie's blouse, a subdued pale version of that patterned dress of Letizia, under the jacket. I love mixing patterns and colors, if they work (that is why I hate, hate hate hate I say(!), Carrie Bradshaw/Sarah Jessica Parker. She is a faker). Sorry to digress.  I knew I was going to love the dress when I started scrolling and I just did a happy gasp when I saw the red shoes. Perfect outfit.

I like the shade of red on the blazer Kate is wearing. And I agree, George does a lot of casual, perfectly normal since he is a kid but it is really nice seeing him dressed in a suit. 

I disagree about William needing to shave his head. I think he is doing a great job of embracing his hair, not in any way trying to hide it.

• Like 11

George and the rest of the Cambridge kids usually dress very casual, so it was cool to see George dressed up. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I disagree about William needing to shave his head. I think he is doing a great job of embracing his hair, not in any way trying to hide it.

Yes.  I don’t see why the totally bald look is preferred.   If William likes it the way it is, that is all that counts.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Yes.  I don’t see why the totally bald look is preferred.   If William likes it the way it is, that is all that counts.

Agreed! If a balding man is trying to hide it, I think shaving it off is better than combing it over our some other ridiculous thing. But I think William looks fine the way it is. So he's balding? Okay.

• Like 7

Now here is a great shot of Betty today.

E5OLk_zX0AgCj2Y?format=jpg&name=medium

Chillin’ at horse show, wearing her pearls.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Sophie in a hat today. Love it.

Maxima in GIANT pants.

queen-maxima-joins-king-willem-alexander

Sorry, Maxima, but no on the pants, and hard no on the wrestling championship belt.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 5

Just now, Browncoat said:

Sorry, Maxima, but no on the pants, and hard no on the wrestling championship belt.

Maxima can get away with a lot because she’s so tall, but agree on both. And the thigh crease wrinkles really don’t help. W-A can wander around in his standard blue suit all day. 

It’s Alexia (their second daughter’s) birthday today and …look at these hideous bangs on young Maxima.

E4yjMPhXIAISKoU?format=jpg&name=small

Alexia is lovely.

E1WWLJTXMAAEh7_?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

W & H unveil Di statue!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQyZ-Oal4yE/

WC3G63L26VN5JH5EXZR7EGNATY.jpg

That's a great statue

Now here is a great shot of Betty today.

E5OLk_zX0AgCj2Y?format=jpg&name=medium

Chillin’ at horse show, wearing her pearls.

It would have been nice if they had put the watermark somewhere that didn't make her look like she has a mustache. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 11

I'm kind of "meh" on the statue.

• Like 14
  • Laugh 1

Me also, Hiyo. There has been a reference to Teresa May already. I also wish there were either just two children or more than three. I have that thing where I attach emotions to inanimate objects and I think the child behind is feeling left out, lol. If there were others back there, I would be happier for the bronze child.

I love the Maxima pants outfit but I think it needs tweaks ( I know y'all are shocked(!)). With the color of the pants I would have wanted a different color of everything else. But! I also love the color of everything else and would like the color of the pants changed. I agree about the wrinkles, ruins the whole sleek chic effect. Her daughter is lovely in that picture.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

She either needed giant pants or a giant top. Not both.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

also wish there were either just two children or more than three. I have that thing where I attach emotions to inanimate objects and I think the child behind is feeling left out, lol. If there were others back there, I would be happier for the bronze child.

I had to go back and look.   I didn't even realize there were 3 kids.   Serious fail on the artist's part.

Alexia is beautiful.   You can see both her parents in her.   If she were smiling I bet she has Maxima's smile.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I had to go back and look.   I didn't even realize there were 3 kids.   Serious fail on the artist's part.

Alexia is beautiful.   You can see both her parents in her.   If she were smiling I bet she has Maxima's smile.

Yeah...I'm stressed by the lonely kid in the back.

Here are photos of Alexia smiling.

Princess-Alexia-from-the-Netherlands-cat

e3b84656d1e53982af172b4d2f178891.jpg

And a wink. 

kings-day-amersfoort-netherlands-shutter

• Like 4

That's what people were saying, that the artist captured Teresa May more than Diana. I can see that. I agree it is an awkward statue. I don't think he captured Diana's delight that shined whenever she was around children. If I were the artist, I would have had her kneeling down, talking to the children because I believe that she was probably the first one to spontaneously do that when they were giving her flowers. She got down on their level to talk. 

I only watched bits of the unveiling. William seemed be having a moment with the whole thing, like it was a happy while melancholic time for him that he was wanting to capture as a memory, to look back on. I loved how the aunts stayed to the side and then approached him after letting him be for just enough time to share in the experience, just a gentle hug from them. 

• Like 7

Here’s a video of the statue unveiling. William and Harry arrive 4 minutes in and the statue is revealed approximately 10 minutes later. It’s not the best likeness but I think the biggest problem is scale. Being larger than life doesn’t really work for someone who was known for being delicate. It would have been better if it was life size or elevated. Having it be basically at eye level throws the perspective off. 

Plus the children should have been in front of year. The positioning makes it cold and formal when it needed warmth and affection. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 3

I remember that! If you look at images of what replaced scary Lucy it is what I thought Diana's would be more like. There is "life" in the Lucy one, Diana's is just...there? I think the sculptor missed it a bit in Diana's face. 

image.png.0dcef55d6ed33c930cd8a8e088f42b0d.png

• Like 4

I don't think it looks much like Diana either.  The hair is wrong, for one thing.  It's too flat.  

From a distance, it looks like the girl is kissing her hand, which put me off the entire tableau.  Once I saw a close up, I realize the girl is looking off to her left, but my first impression was "this Diana worship is kind of weird".

I haven't seen any angle that shows the third child.  Why is he/she hiding?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Frost said:

I don't think it looks much like Diana either.  The hair is wrong, for one thing.  It's too flat.  

From a distance, it looks like the girl is kissing her hand, which put me off the entire tableau.  Once I saw a close up, I realize the girl is looking off to her left, but my first impression was "this Diana worship is kind of weird".

I think it looks like Diana. I’m bothered that two of the kids have shoes and the other two don’t. Bronze statutes are always difficult though. Marble may have been a better idea, but …not my mom and I’m not that invested.

QE2 is wear a Granny Betty print dress! Angela Merkel looks surprised and delighted.

E5TQstdX0AIc0Nc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Love that brooch.

Anne in sunglasses is Fun Anne.

E5S0SEhX0AMvgtB?format=jpg&name=medium

Kate taking in the tennis.

Screenshot-2021-07-02-at-14.43.09.png

• Like 4

QE2 is wear a Granny Betty print dress!

The print looks more like one of those "Magic Eye" pics that were popular in the 90s...maybe mein Chancellorette is surprised as she thinks she saw the hidden image...

Isn't that Other Prince Edward with her?

• Laugh 4

52 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

QE2 is wear a Granny Betty print dress! Angela Merkel looks surprised and delighted.

It almost looks as if the queen has just pulled a mischievous prank on Angela.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kate broke a cardinal rule of mine: white pumps are never acceptable.

immay44.jpg

White is never a mistake at Wimbledon.

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

The print looks more like one of those "Magic Eye" pics that were popular in the 90s...maybe mein Chancellorette is surprised as she thinks she saw the hidden image...

Isn't that Other Prince Edward with her?

That is Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. And my, doesn't he look like a very disapproving butler. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Frost said:

image.png.0bd39d51d0bb6e57e7518097d3fbf5fc.png

Here is another angle. While I think it has a passing resemblance to Diana if I were to randomly come across it, I would not know who it was. I might know from the neck down because he seems to have captured her body, just not her face. 

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I think it looks like Diana. I’m bothered that two of the kids have shoes and the other two don’t. Bronze statutes are always difficult though. Marble may have been a better idea, but …not my mom and I’m not that invested.

Ha, I want to be bothered that you see four children. Yeah, I don't know anything about statues except they are hit or miss, depending on the sculptor and I guess the subject. I remember a recent one of MLK that was panned, the pose and proportion? I am not invested either as in I am #teamdiana and I never thought SHENEEDSASTATUE! but when it was decided that there was going to be one, and then it was so much COUNTDOWNTOUNVEILINGOFDIANA! hype, I did get interested to see what it was going to look like and had empathy towards Prince William in that I think it was an important quiet thing for him (even with the manufactured hype).  And I admit, the statue is a letdown for me. But I will move forward and put this letdown behind me, bravely! lol

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Love that brooch.

Anne in sunglasses is Fun Anne.

E5S0SEhX0AMvgtB?format=jpg&name=medium

Screenshot-2021-07-02-at-14.43.09.png

I enlarged the pics and they put the Queen in a trellis print! Ha. It is really pretty when you look at it enlarged.  I thought the brooch had a blue stone but it is a very pretty green. And(!) the Queen wears nail polish! I never thought about her wearing polish. 

I love Anne in sunglasses, I just hate that pair. They look like fishing glasses, sporty and don't go well with any outfit I have seen when she wears them. That coat is to die for and her brooch is a gold horse. She looks fantastic and she has and has always had the best hair.

The dotted dress Kate is wearing is designer and cost over a $1,000. I didn't really like her outfit until I realized it was perfect for a tennis viewing. 

In the wedding photo, I love the white everywhere and the red carpet behind it all. Confused about the flower petals. Here they are tossed on the aisle by flower girls for the bride to walk on when entering the ceremony, there it seems guests? are throwing them after the ceremony? Also, is there a larger or different picture that shows the bride attendants at the very top of that picture? They seem to be wearing dresses with a pink and brown pattern and I would love to see them.

Letizia's dress is okay-ish to me. Kind of boring, not sure if the pattern or the design is just meh for me.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 3

Okay, I admit it. All this time I have been hoping that when Prince William pulled the cover off the statue it would reveal Diana lounging on the deck of a yacht in a chaise wearing a bikini and reading a summerbeachread paperback book. I won't bore you with all the details of the statue but there were a lot of them. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Imagine if the statue was based on this...it could have been the ultimate FU to Chuck & Cam...

article-2171096-13FED8D3000005DC-195_634

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

I've rarely seen good statues of famous people, tbh. They never really capture the essence of anyone. 

With Diana, they definitely don't capture the warmth and vivacity which were very much a part of her persona.

• Like 9

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.