Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I have no idea who the other people in the photo are, but I love them.

The two on the left are Steve Backshall and Helen Glover. He’s a British naturalist and she’s an Olympic rower. 

44 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I feel like William and Catherine could have tried harder to be goofy like everyone else in the photo!

Personally, I’ve never related to them more. The second someone says to take a silly photo I freeze. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 3

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

I feel like William and Catherine could have tried harder to be goofy like everyone else in the photo!

I wonder if there's something about that in the Royal Family code of public conduct. They look relaxed and amused, but there's nothing about their body language or facial expressions that could become a viral internet meme overnight, or be hauled out by the tabloids to illustrate future negative stories. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, I’ve never related to them more. The second someone says to take a silly photo I freeze. 

Me too. Anyway, IMO funny faces usually don't come across as well in photos as in real life. 

• Like 14

13 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah I feel like when you've hit 95, if you want a cocktail a night, have at it. It's hardly negatively affected her lifespan. 

If I live to be 95, I'm drinking a bottle of champagne every day. Let the woman have her damn cocktail, she's earned it (and it may have contributed to her long life, lol).

• Like 18

Just now, emma675 said:

If I live to be 95, I'm drinking a bottle of champagne every day. Let the woman have her damn cocktail, she's earned it (and it may have contributed to her long life, lol).

Yeah I'm not even much of a drinker, but if I live to that age and want to knock one back, nobody better try to stop me. Lol

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

I came across and posted this meme over in the Celebrity thread when discussion veered toward Shatner in space this week. Itt is perfect for this thread now, with her having a cane, taking away her drinks. I would love to get these two in a room together and listen to their chatter. 

image.thumb.png.63ed9a3eaf6ae49b02d134e0b490ac2a.png

I would love to see Shatner come in and get Charles and the other dweeb siblings all in a blather. 

• Laugh 5

40 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I came across and posted this meme over in the Celebrity thread when discussion veered toward Shatner in space this week. Itt is perfect for this thread now, with her having a cane, taking away her drinks. I would love to get these two in a room together and listen to their chatter. 

image.thumb.png.63ed9a3eaf6ae49b02d134e0b490ac2a.png

I would love to see Shatner come in and get Charles and the other dweeb siblings all in a blather. 

Likely not, as there's like zero chance that he'll convert to C of E and therefore that would rule out Her Majesty doing more than politely laughing in his company! 

• Laugh 1

I'm shocked that the royal protocol Nazis weren't up in arms about the fact that Kate took her coat off during yesterday's engagement. Apparently that's one of the "unbreakable" royal protocol rules.

https://www.glamour.com/story/this-is-why-kate-middleton-isnt-allowed-to-take-off-her-coat

As it turns out, royal etiquette outlines that the duchess must not remove her jacket in public, because it's regarded as "unladylike." Yes, you read that correctly: the act of removing her outermost layer of clothing in public, no matter the circumstance, is actually frowned upon by the crown. (If she must, she has to step away from wherever cameras might be.)

Kate with coat on:

trh22.jpg

Kate with coat off:

kzd2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

17 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm shocked that the royal protocol Nazis weren't up in arms about the fact that Kate took her coat off during yesterday's engagement. Apparently that's one of the "unbreakable" royal protocol rules.

https://www.glamour.com/story/this-is-why-kate-middleton-isnt-allowed-to-take-off-her-coat

Kate with coat on:

Kate with coat off:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm shocked and horrified by her behaviour. As a big fan of the royals, I expect them to act better than us peons at all times and in all circumstances. They are not mere mortals, they are our betters. They'd better start acting like it.

• Laugh 16

7 hours ago, emma675 said:

Hell yeah! You are my new favorite person and I will find you when I'm 95! (That's not creepy is it??) 🤔😳

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kate with coat on:

trh22.jpg

Kate with coat off:

kzd2.jpg

I love her trousers.  I am all about a good trouser moment.  I like a high waisted trouser and you can never go wrong with black.  I don’t like her jacket because  I find the sleeve length awkward along with the zippers on the sleeve as well, I don’t like the pattern on the front, and I also hate the collar.  The jacket is probably quite expensive but it looks dated like something from a 1970’s catalog.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

They pick and choose when to make a big fuss and claim that something or other is breaching some easily disproven 'protocol', usually when they want to distract attention from something else or want to attract attention to their own self-importance (Look at me! I know more about royal protocol than the royals themselves!) or if it's a slow news day. Yesterday was not a slow news day, so any Royal Watcher bid for attention would have been buried.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

They pick and choose when to make a big fuss and claim that something or other is breaching some easily disproven 'protocol', usually when they want to distract attention from something else or want to attract attention to their own self-importance (Look at me! I know more about royal protocol than the royals themselves!) or if it's a slow news day. Yesterday was not a slow news day, so any Royal Watcher bid for attention would have been buried.

I agree. I've long wondered if all these alleged rules are written down anywhere, or if they exist purely in the imaginations of busybodies and fussypants. I suspect the latter.

• Like 6

The taking off the coat where one can be seen MIGHT actually be royal protocol.   I remember during the Jubilee in 2012, when the Queen and Prince Philip were participating in the boat parade.   At one point, the Queen went below decks.   She reappeared wearing a scarf around her shoulders because she had gotten cold.   She did not want to be seen being wrapped up.   

So Kate didn't really break protocol by taking off her coat.   She wasn't SEEN doing it.   Which is the protocol.   No one seens a Royal changing clothes.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anduin said:

I agree. I've long wondered if all these alleged rules are written down anywhere, or if they exist purely in the imaginations of busybodies and fussypants. I suspect the latter.

No, they are not written down anywhere, because they are not actual rules. Every time a so-called 'royal watcher' claims a royal has breached a protocol, a whole multitude of past examples can be pulled out to prove that no such protocol actually exists and the so-called breach is actually something completely normal for royals, just like everyone else. They are almost always completely made up by people who want to make themselves look and sound like experts.

• Like 15

No, they are not written down anywhere, because they are not actual rules. Every time a so-called 'royal watcher' claims a royal has breached a protocol, a whole multitude of past examples can be pulled out to prove that no such protocol actually exists and the so-called breach is actually something completely normal for royals, just like everyone else. They are almost always completely made up by people who want to make themselves look and sound like experts.

God, I hate that. Let's shame them for actual provable sins, not just make shit up.

• Like 3

And for some reason that I just can't seem to put a finger on, the only people who regularly break these royal protocols are the women who have married into the family. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 11

I agree. And a shout out to @Ohiopirate02 for noting that the "rule violations" seem to be called out when made by women who've married into the Firm.  

OTOH, I think there must be unwritten guidelines and best practices shared within the Royal family, based on years of experience. I think it's less about stupid arbitrary carp like crossing your legs or removing your coat, than lessons learned the hard way and common sense. I've read that HM has developed a subtle but effective little maneuver to remove her hand from the clasp of an over-enthusiastic handshake, and she long ago decided to wear brightly colored outfits with matching hats that make it easier for her security detail to keep track of her in crowds since she's not very tall. 

An example, as I mentioned upthread, was Kate and William not clowning for the cameras. Maybe it was just a natural decision, or something that was discussed long ago. They didn't allow themselves to be photographed making funny faces or striking crazy poses. Those images would have been a tabloid editor's dream for years to come, to be hauled out to illustrate derogatory or just snarky stories. As it was, the couple looked relaxed and smiling, not stiff and uncomfortable; a well played moment. 

Of course, William's skill in handling the tabloids and paps is likely in his DNA. His mother could pull off a photo opp like nobody's business, although ultimately her status as the most famous woman in the world in the late 20th Century created a toxic level of stress and chaos. I have read, and believe, that Diana's sons hated the press and blamed the paps for her death. When I look at images of William these days I wonder how much of that emotion from 24 years ago is still in there. From my fave book to quote around here, this glimpse of William in his early 20's, from Tina Brown, who hardly gushed over Diana, but let it all rip here about her son:

As for Prince William, the heir to the throne, . . . his first solo foray with the press was not conducted at St. James’s Palace but propping up the bar at the Hare and Hounds pub in Tetbury. He was wearing baggy jeans, a red sweatshirt, and a charming smile. He was relaxed and confident, but in ninety minutes’ friendly chat the tabloid reporters invited to join him, while smitten, learned precisely—nothing. He is a Prince who has learned from Diana’s experience, a Prince after Diana’s heart.

Brown, Tina. The Diana Chronicles (pp. 560-561). Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

I think that by then he'd also spent plenty of time with his grandmother, who knows a thing or two about the business of being a Royal. I read that when he was at Eton he'd walk down to Windsor Castle for Sunday afternoon tea with HM. 

Edited by Jeeves · Reason: Formatting. Urgh.
  • Like 9

On 10/16/2021 at 1:25 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

Apparently that's one of the "unbreakable" royal protocol rules.

Just shows me how little I know of protocols. If someone told me there is a rule about coats, I would have guessed that it is considered weird to have a coat on inside, especially when seated at the table.

• Like 2

The only real rules of royal protocol relate to which titles to use, walking in order of precedence and when to bow. The rest is just bullshit made up to sell papers by purposefully making people outraged about the ridiculous pretend rules. It’s just a cycle of stupid with the sole purpose of generating ad revenue.

Obscure royals marrying, and a boat!

For those of you who like the blue.

William blah blah prize blah blah…ceremony with Kate in a dress! Likely a rewear, I’m betting it’s MacQueen.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The taking off the coat where one can be seen MIGHT actually be royal protocol.   I remember during the Jubilee in 2012, when the Queen and Prince Philip were participating in the boat parade.   At one point, the Queen went below decks.   She reappeared wearing a scarf around her shoulders because she had gotten cold.   She did not want to be seen being wrapped up.   

So Kate didn't really break protocol by taking off her coat.   She wasn't SEEN doing it.   Which is the protocol.   No one seens a Royal changing clothes.  

But Kate often has engagements where she brings two clothes. Usually a more formal one and then she changes out of that one and into more sporty gear for another part of the engagement. She;s done this countless times, so I would think that no such "no changing" rule exists.

Example: recently she wore a purple pantsuit for part of the day:

derry1.jpg

Then she changed into yoga pants and sneakers for the second part of the engagement:

nfd.jpg

I just think the protocol Nazis are total prisspots who think that royal ladies should always look like this:

424px-Queen_Victoria_-Golden_Jubilee_-3a

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

But Kate often has engagements where she brings two clothes. Usually a more formal one and then she changes out of that one and into more sporty gear for another part of the engagement. She;s done this countless times, so I would think that no such "no changing" rule exists.

Example: recently she wore a purple pantsuit for part of the day:

derry1.jpg

Then she changed into yoga pants and sneakers for the second part of the engagement:

nfd.jpg

I just think the protocol Nazis are total prisspots who think that royal ladies should always look like this:

424px-Queen_Victoria_-Golden_Jubilee_-3a

The Windsoring of Wills continues apace, he’s gargoyling up at a clip and Kate continues to shine in that lovely plum.  Poor Wills he had a good run being cute now it’s the downslide into his father’s genetic legacy.

• Like 3

Then she changed into yoga pants and sneakers for the second part of the engagement

Too bad, would have been kind of hilarious but also kind of awesome having her on the rugby field in that suit and heels.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Laugh 7

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I didn't say "no changing."   I said "no changing where one can be seen."   Which means she goes into a private area and changes into sporty clothes or removes her coat - then reappears.   Just like the Queen did during the boat parade.   

This could be a common sense rule like how to extricate your hand from a clinger.   After all do you want pics of yourself twisting to get out of coat, or half in/half out of your shirt to be splashed all over the tabs?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

The Windsoring of Wills continues apace, he’s gargoyling up at a clip and Kate continues to shine in that lovely plum.  Poor Wills he had a good run being cute now it’s the downslide into his father’s genetic legacy.

Not just his father's genetic legacy.  The Spencers get no better looking with age, either (recall Diana's father).  Few people do!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

While she looks great, his green velvet is really eye-catching. 

It is McQueen, although I had a typo above. Points to me!

It’s not royalty, but a this Earthshot prize, Emma Watson is wearing the rebellious teenage daughter of Bjork’s iconic Swan Dress and a bog standard pair of black flair slacks with what appears to be black rubber sneakers.

image.thumb.jpeg.41e02b495373d45082e7d7d2b2afd7d2.jpeg

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Well, knock me over with a green velvet feather. Who ever thought that Will would be making the bolder fashion choice? 

That hair color really suits Kate.

• Like 10

On 10/17/2021 at 10:58 AM, graybrown bird said:

Not just his father's genetic legacy.  The Spencers get no better looking with age, either (recall Diana's father).  Few people do!

I just took a look at Princess Di’s dad wow that ugly was just waiting in the wings to swoop down and carry his good looks away.  The weird thing is Prince Charles actually looks okay now.  He was not good looking young he was alright looking enough and he’s settled into okay looking.  Wills needed to get a good rug to cover up his bald head because he’s not Sir Patrick Stewart who just got hotter bald, Will just looks terrible bald.  The technology exists he should have got a rug and never looked back.  

I love that dress on Kate.

Not sure about Will's green velvet. He's giving me Wizard of Oz and Riddler vibes.

Kate today.

I love the red dress and tan accessories.

0be4db75a007ade67e9e76599390b956.jpg

Victoria and Daniel yesterday:

dd63d890a25dc14be8f72d5ea61b62d7.jpg

Victoria last night. Love the sparkle.

0e97c67b60b55ca72ae3465e27ff73b1.jpg

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.