Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Despite all Andrew's pals claiming vindication for him, it just means that there isn't enough hard evidence to take forward. It was a long time ago and it is notoriously difficult to prove cases like this even when they are brand new, never mind a cold case. Throw in the political ramifications, and you've got one big mess. But the decision not to proceed just means they know they can't prove it in court beyond all reasonable doubt, and it has to be proved beyond all reasonable doubt to secure a conviction.

And it is sometimes an issue if a civil suit is filed before the police are informed. It pulls  the motivation of the victim into question.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, bobalina said:

And it is sometimes an issue if a civil suit is filed before the police are informed. It pulls  the motivation of the victim into question.

I am just fine with victims of sexual assault and child molestation being motivated to bankrupt their perpetrators. The Southern Poverty Law Center made using litigation to financially cripple the Klan a mission. I'm thrilled with the idea that the same could be done to powerful men who sexually traffic children. Andrew and his ilk can live in cardboard boxes in the bus station for all I care. 

But let's talk royals! Opening of Parliament and Harald looks tired. Love Sonja's necklace and hat.

FBa5PBCWEAQmGmz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Velvet is totally the fabric of the season. Here's the Duchess of Gloucester.

FBbilI7X0AgHpUd?format=jpg&name=large

Official photos from Luxembourg.

 

Margrethe is in Greenland, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. Wills is doing his Earthshot Prize and Queen Rania is participating, but that's in few days. Maybe we'll get some good fashion and jewels from her. 


 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

In the velvet picture: sigh I miss the days before those claw clips became the go to for holding back hair. I am a sucker for a pretty barrette or hair comb to style up a look. 

I love the dress on the mother of the bride. Must say that the whole group was pretty much uncoordinated, right? Overall, meh on the whole bunch. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

And it is sometimes an issue if a civil suit is filed before the police are informed. It pulls  the motivation of the victim into question.

She TRIED the criminal route.  They gave Epstein a sweetheart deal and didn't even BOTHER with anyone else.   Civil was all that was left.

 

And yes, the Queen can strongly suggest to the police that they not bother any further.   Which they will look into.   Short of pictures of them actually having sex (instead of you know him standing with his arm around her despite claiming he never met her), there is ZERO motivation in England to dig into this.   Hopefully the US does a better job since we supposedly don't give a fig for Princes and other assorted royalty.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

that's adorable they match.

 

And it is huge news she is using a cane.   The Queen does NOT show infirmity.   I'm worried that she needs one so badly she is giving up on never being seen needing assistance.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And yes, the Queen can strongly suggest to the police that they not bother any further

I'm reading a book about the whole gross Jeffrey Epstein story and Prince Andrew's protection officers were with him each time he met Virginia Roberts Giuffre.  They could at least collaborate when and where she met him.  I don't know if they sign non disclosure agreements as part of their employment contracts or not. I think after the Queen is gone Prince Charles will have no desire to do anything to protect Andrew.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm reading a book about the whole gross Jeffrey Epstein story and Prince Andrew's protection officers were with him each time he met Virginia Roberts Giuffre.  They could at least collaborate when and where she met him.  I don't know if they sign non disclosure agreements as part of their employment contracts or not. I think after the Queen is gone Prince Charles will have no desire to do anything to protect Andrew.

While IANAL and I live in the US, I was always under the impression that NDAs exist to stop people from snitching to the tabloids to make a quick buck or for protecting trade secrets.  They do not stop you from speaking to law enforcement about any illegal activity you may have witnessed.  

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was flipping channels on Sunday and stumbled across the first episode of their Diana biography.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It seems to be a balanced view, no St Diana in sight so far.  It juxtaposed her awful childhood (I wasn't aware that her father would slap her mother across the face in view of their children) and Charles' (how solitary and alone he was as a child).  It seems that a number of people thought their emotional issues would bond them together.  Of course, neither of them ended up capable of supporting the other's emotional neediness.  I'm interested enough to watch episode 2.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They do not stop you from speaking to law enforcement about any illegal activity you may have witnessed.  

Andrew's protection officers probably didn't witness anything illegal. Virginia said they were alone when that happened. But the officers could confirm he was where she said he was.

Plenty of rich and/or famous people have their employees sign NDA's. They are also used to cover the rich and famous's wrongdoings.  Harvey Weinstein, Bill O'Reilly are just two men who had their victims sign NDA's as a condition of settling their lawsuits.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Andrew's protection officers probably didn't witness anything illegal. Virginia said they were alone when that happened. But the officers could confirm he was where she said he was.

Plenty of rich and/or famous people have their employees sign NDA's. They are also used to cover the rich and famous's wrongdoings.  Harvey Weinstein, Bill O'Reilly are just two men who had their victims sign NDA's as a condition of settling their lawsuits.

The rich and powerful do abuse NDAs in order to scare off their victims most likely because people are unaware about what they actually mean.  The Harveys and Bills of the world use fear to keep their victims silent.  There is leeway in how bound by a NDA a person is when it comes to these types of situations.  The underlying implication is Harvey or Andrew, etc. will sue you in civil court if you talk to the press about it and you will be financially ruined.  You can always call their bluff and talk to the press anyway.  They may never file a lawsuit over the breach of contract.  But again, talking to the police about a crime and testifying in court about the crime do not breach the NDA.  NDAs will not protect Andrew when it comes to his protection officers talking to the police about Andrew's whereabouts on a specific night in question.  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I was flipping channels on Sunday and stumbled across the first episode of their Diana biography.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It seems to be a balanced view, no St Diana in sight so far.  It juxtaposed her awful childhood (I wasn't aware that her father would slap her mother across the face in view of their children) and Charles' (how solitary and alone he was as a child).  It seems that a number of people thought their emotional issues would bond them together.  Of course, neither of them ended up capable of supporting the other's emotional neediness.  I'm interested enough to watch episode 2.

There is a topic for this here:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And it is huge news she is using a cane.   The Queen does NOT show infirmity.   I'm worried that she needs one so badly she is giving up on never being seen needing assistance.  

 

3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I think it's more of "I need a cane, I shall use a can, and shan't brook any nonsense."

Maybe she's just tired of people & she's going to start smacking the ones who annoy her. What are they going to do if she does, arrest her for assault?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

As someone whose own beloved grandmother declared herself housebound rather than be seen in public with the cane she needed to walk safely, I am GLAD the Queen is using one if she needs one! And she does look lovely in that shade of blue!

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I think it's more of "I need a cane, I shall use a can, and shan't brook any nonsense."

I like that she went with what looks like standard NHS issue instead of some carved mahogany and silver heirloom item.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that QEII looks great in that shade of blue; I also love the brooch she is wearing..

In other news, a recent book about Dutch Crown Princess Amalia raised the question of what might happen if she chooses to marry a woman -- although the article says the book doesn't speculate about her personal life.

From the BBC article:

Although the cabinet makes it clear that same-sex marriage is possible, what is not known is what would happen to the succession if there were children born from a same-sex royal marriage, for example via adoption or a sperm donor.

"It's frightfully complicated," Mr Rutte explained. The Dutch constitution states that the king or queen can only be succeeded by a "lawful descendant".

The prime minister said that it was purely theoretical at this stage but it would be up to parliament, which has to give approval to a royal marriage. "Let's cross that bridge if we come to it," he told Dutch TV.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What are they going to do if she does, arrest her for assault?

I'm sure Prince Andrew can answer that one...

With regards to Dutch royalty and same sex marriages, apparently as per the Dutch PM, a Dutch monarch can marry a person of whatever gender they choose without forfeiting their right to the throne. The Dutch parliament would still have to approve the marriage, though.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Dearest Kate,

I was really enjoying your recent looks. 

But this?

Did you even look in the mirror?

ea9c39407b7eec03a2b388b256d046dc.jpg

Burn this green felt monstrosity.

XOXOXOO,

CountryGirl

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I need a palate cleanser after that.

Let's look at a close up of QEII's sapphire and diamond brooch.

image.png.c8bacfd5c0a111e56464d24f784f1cb5.png

Queen Mary’s Russian Brooch was a wedding present to her in 1893 from Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia. The Empress was the sister of Queen Mary’s mother-in-law Queen Alexandra. The brooch features a large square cut diamond and a square cabochon sapphire set in a scroll frame of diamonds. The Queen inherited the brooch after Queen Mary’s death in 1953.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Dearest Kate,

I was really enjoying your recent looks. 

But this?

Did you even look in the mirror?

ea9c39407b7eec03a2b388b256d046dc.jpg

Burn this green felt monstrosity.

XOXOXOO,

CountryGirl

The coat can work if Kate had styled it with another color top.  For me, the greens do not blend well.  If she had worn a white or cream sweater or a print, the coat would look 1000% better.  I am one who hates matchy looks on principle, I always find the different tones of the same color compete with each other.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Even the people at Aer Lingus are like "That's a lot of green..."

  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I love that coat.  *ducks*

I'm a sucker for green - clothing, decor, cars, etc.

I like the coat too, but also agree that she should've chosen a different top to wear with it.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like the coat. I hate the color, the edging, and the weird navy blue tracing lines, including the triangles around her boobs. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

will and kate.jpgFull length shot of the coat, which I really like.  Apparently she has worn it before and had it for years.  

I don't see any navy blue tracing lines, just seams.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, stewedsquash said:

In the velvet picture: sigh I miss the days before those claw clips became the go to for holding back hair. I am a sucker for a pretty barrette or hair comb to style up a look. 

I use one when I get out of the shower and don't want to deal with my hair yet. I also use it in the shower to hold my long hair off my shoulders after I put the conditioner on it and wash myself. I would not wear it to an event, unless that event is the opening of Walmart perhaps. 

I LOVE that color blue on the Queen. LOVE IT! And if she needs a cane, or even just feels like she needs one, I'm glad she is using one and not to proud to do so. 

I usually love Maxima's looks but I do hate those short pants. Not a good look on anyone IMO. Especially with heels. Just looks like her pants shrunk and she didn't have anything else to change into. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The Peter Pan collar on that coat ... no. I also hate Kate's fondness (recent, it seems) for shoulder pads. Her Bond dress (that I loved) also had huge shoulder pads. I associate that look with the 1980s.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I love that coat.  *ducks*

I'm a sucker for green - clothing, decor, cars, etc.

 

8 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I like the coat too, but also agree that she should've chosen a different top to wear with it.

 

7 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I don't like the coat. I hate the color, the edging, and the weird navy blue tracing lines, including the triangles around her boobs. 

I like the coat. I think the green on green could’ve worked if she did a patterned pant, but the plain black pant makes it look too “uniform like”. Also Kate is a slim woman, I think color blocking like that would look better on someone with a fuller chest, your body would give the plain colors dimension. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The Peter Pan collar on that coat ... no.

That's what killed it for me, too.  And the zipper.  I prefer coats with button closures.  We are a tough crowd. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Coincidentally, this picture just popped up over at the Daily Mail (don't judge me) of how she wore it the first time back in 2014.  I'm still not a fan. 

image.png.8cd6bd9f04cba5e28871e03357e17a60.png

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Coincidentally, this picture just popped up over at the Daily Mail (don't judge me) of how she wore it the first time back in 2014.  I'm still not a fan. 

image.png.8cd6bd9f04cba5e28871e03357e17a60.png

My grandmother had that *exact* housecoat in 1972.  Damn, Erdem makes fugly clothes.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Coincidentally, this picture just popped up over at the Daily Mail (don't judge me) of how she wore it the first time back in 2014.  I'm still not a fan. 

 

What I am a fan of is that even the Very Rich wear clothes that are at least 7 years old!  Makes me feel better about the winter coat I bought in 2010 and still drag out every year.  Of course I suspect Kate has more than one coat....

Edited by SusannahM
  • Like 11
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Queen Elizabeth was in my neck of the woods today, officiating at the state opening of the Senedd. Alas, I did not go to watch, so did not get any hot-off-the-press pics for you all to enjoy! This one comes courtesy of the BBC

_121079127_microsoftteams-image-1.png

ETA - looks like Charles and Camilla were there too. Quite the family outing!

_121079123_cdf_141021_ge_senedd_opening_

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

What I am a fan of is that even the Very Rich wear clothes that are at least 7 years old!  Makes me feel better about the winter coat I bought in 2010 and still drag out every year.  Of course I suspect Kate has more than one coat....

I inherited and wear coats purchased in the 50's that are still 🔥 today.  Well done ILGWU!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

What I am a fan of is that even the Very Rich wear clothes that are at least 7 years old!  Makes me feel better about the winter coat I bought in 2010 and still drag out every year.  Of course I suspect Kate has more than one coat....

One of the signs of old money is the repeated wearing of clothing. They buy the best and wear it until it falls apart.  I saw an article that showed Charles still wearing the same coat from the 70s.  I believe Anne does the same.  

  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I need a full shot of Mathilde’s dress. I think I love it 

Yes please! That is a great way to wear black and white. Also...

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Charles is also big on rewears, but his clothes are so dull no one notices. 

hahahahaha. That is one of the perks of being a dude. I had a male co-worker who, on a bet, wore the same outfit for a week straight. No one noticed. It was basically black trousers and a button up oxford shirt. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the British royalty, and I have no idea how much truth is behind that article, but I do hope 95-year-old QE2 will take her cane to anyone who tries to take away her nightly cocktail. 

Yeah I feel like when you've hit 95, if you want a cocktail a night, have at it. It's hardly negatively affected her lifespan. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Rootbeer said:

will and kate.jpgFull length shot of the coat, which I really like.  Apparently she has worn it before and had it for years.  

I don't see any navy blue tracing lines, just seams.

I have no idea who the other people in the photo are, but I love them.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I have no idea who the other people in the photo are, but I love them.

Well, the guy standing next to William is the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. The other two...you got me! I don't know.

I feel like William and Catherine could have tried harder to be goofy like everyone else in the photo!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size