Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Royals

16 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I agree.  Kate is such a pro at dressing appropriately for the occasion, no matter what the occasion is.  I really admire her for it.  Sure, she has people who help her, but Kate always looks like Kate, which is a big deal to pull off when you are seen in countless different outfits constantly.  And my feigning faux shock & horror over her blazer and jeans were totally 100% in jest and I was just hoping to make someone who needed a laugh today laugh.

And gave me a laugh you did!!

Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

High waisted pants don't work on Kate because she naturally has a very long torso and one could say a low waist. Pants IMO to look good have to fit the contours of your body. She therefore looks better with low-rise jeans.

3c27dad63b43ca0c09f32edc0d66a28d.jpg

With that being said my mom is 4'11" with the world's longest torso and she says that high-waisted mom jeans are more comfortable. I think Kate dressed for comfort today. The elastic blazer told me she was going for comfort. 

I think the higher waisted jeans look better proportionally.  People  have gotten used to low waist jeans but jeans that hit at the waist will come back in style (if they haven't already).  The "mom jeans" name is just insulting and is meaningless.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I think the higher waisted jeans look better proportionally.  People  have gotten used to low waist jeans but jeans that hit at the waist will come back in style (if they haven't already).  The "mom jeans" name is just insulting and is meaningless.

You're going to have to fight with my mom who marches into stores and says "where are the mom jeans"? LOL. 

• Laugh 6

19 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

You're going to have to fight with my mom who marches into stores and says "where are the mom jeans"? LOL. 

No, I think we are on the same side.  I just don't like the demeaning name for them.

• Like 5

I do enjoy when this thread is all about fashion (or lack thereof) and tiaras. 😁 Thanks to all contributers for their pics and the snark!

• Like 9

I have to laugh at the left hand photo of Kate.  I can just hear a body language commentator (saying in a breathless, earnest voice):  Her head is down and her fists are clenched, obviously she doesn't want to be there.  Perhaps she's just had a fight with William!

Body language experts discussing a photograph always make me cringe.  The frame just before or after this one could be completely different.

I've been doing a lot of PT lately and one of the treatment rooms has a large poster of human musculature.  I've decided Kate doesn't have that long of a torso and/or short legs.  Her frame looks pretty normally proportioned to me.  I think maybe the unique figure of most runway models is warping what is considered "normal."  Having super long legs, a la Kendall Jenner, isn't the "norm" for a human.

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, Frost said:

I have to laugh at the left hand photo of Kate.  I can just hear a body language commentator (saying in a breathless, earnest voice):  Her head is down and her fists are clenched, obviously she doesn't want to be there.  Perhaps she's just had a fight with William!

Body language experts discussing a photograph always make me cringe.  The frame just before or after this one could be completely different.

I've been doing a lot of PT lately and one of the treatment rooms has a large poster of human musculature.  I've decided Kate doesn't have that long of a torso and/or short legs.  Her frame looks pretty normally proportioned to me.  I think maybe the unique figure of most runway models is warping what is considered "normal."  Having super long legs, a la Kendall Jenner, isn't the "norm" for a human.

I don't think she has a long torso and/or short legs either! I do think that some of the clothes she wears (and this is normal for most anyone) gives an appearance of having a different shape. Examples are in the above posts for me and I seem to have a different visual than some others. I think she looks perfectly proportioned in the high waist/slightly cropped jeans (with the offensive to some blazer, ha). When the counter to that outfit is the low waist with slightly cropped options in the next example of outfits in a post, I do a full body shiver because I see her as out of proportion-long torso with short legs, and she isn't in my opinion either of those.

I agree about the body language also! When there were examples of threading your fingers in the old thread being an angry or upset clue I was all huh?? When I thread my fingers I am usually content in the moment! I can be either content or really irritated if my hands are on my hips. 

The Cambridge's have something new coming out:

Delivered by a drone?

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I don't think she has a long torso and/or short legs either! I do think that some of the clothes she wears (and this is normal for most anyone) gives an appearance of having a different shape. Examples are in the above posts for me and I seem to have a different visual than some others. I think she looks perfectly proportioned in the high waist/slightly cropped jeans (with the offensive to some blazer, ha). When the counter to that outfit is the low waist with slightly cropped options in the next example of outfits in a post, I do a full body shiver because I see her as out of proportion-long torso with short legs, and she isn't in my opinion either of those.

I agree about the body language also! When there were examples of threading your fingers in the old thread being an angry or upset clue I was all huh?? When I thread my fingers I am usually content in the moment! I can be either content or really irritated if my hands are on my hips. 

The Cambridge's have something new coming out:

Delivered by a drone?

I think you are exactly right.  Certain clothes create an illusion of a longer torso and it's just that, an illusion.

• Like 5

I am all about the fashion and cannot wait until we get a tiara event.

Oh look at these pants on Sofia of Spain!

E4goWgGWEAs9uDR?format=jpg&name=large

I kind of love them although I don’t think I should. They look a bit like upholstery fabric.

Baby Prince Charles!

E4gpwsYXMA0pnmi?format=jpg&name=medium

I love Stephanie’s dress there.

Margrethe in Southern Jutland and rocking the pink.

E4j0eyBWQAAOzT9?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 8

The first footage of Lifetime's third Harry and Meghan movie:

The other two are Harry and Meghan: A Royal Romance and Harry and Meghan: Becoming Royal. Each movie has different actors in the title roles. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Philippe and Gabriel are getting their Top Gun on.

E4lVSdkX0AghUHK?format=jpg&name=large

The Queen and Boris were in person this week. 

E4lwJL-WEAAynfB?format=jpg&name=large

Love that dress on her and I need to know more about that fireplace grate.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The maxi pant trend needs to end immediately. 

Yes! Those blue pants above are horrible. I don't care if they cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, they all look like they came from the clearance rack of Dollar General. I think I would like what is referred to as "cruise wear" type pants, only to be worn while vacationing. Those pants above are all wrong for whatever the occasion was pictured.

I would love to see a bigger picture of the watch on that trouser-less baby holder and those two huge diamonds (on the same finger!) on the lady in the chic hot pink/purple floral outfit, complete with matching hat.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

The Queen and Boris were in person this week. 

E4lwJL-WEAAynfB?format=jpg&name=large

Love that dress on her and I need to know more about that fireplace grate.

Forget the grate! I don't think we have ever seen the Queen not holding her purse! It is sitting all alone on that cream chair! What is going on??

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Laugh 15

I don't think the long torso is an illusion. I think she really does have a long torso and short legs. I just don't see it as a bad thing. She's very tall and narrow and her long torso allows her to give an impression of a very straight, statuesque look.

a1052bd8d760637b638404a36cb6b124.jpg

kate-middleton-01-600x800.jpg

• Like 6

I think Kate has a long torso but I don't think her legs are all that short, just average and look shorter because of the long torso. 

Also, I adore George's outfit in that last pic. The sweater and shorts look is just too cute. 

Also also, William might have gotten Windsored in the face and hairline arena but that body is more than making up for it for me. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

33 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I don't think the long torso is an illusion. I think she really does have a long torso and short legs. I just don't see it as a bad thing. She's very tall and narrow and her long torso allows her to give an impression of a very straight, statuesque look.

a1052bd8d760637b638404a36cb6b124.jpg

kate-middleton-01-600x800.jpg

The bend of her elbow is on a level with her waist, so that does look like a long torso to me.  She has such narrow hips that barely widen below her waist.  Her legs do not look short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I would love to see a bigger picture of the watch on that trouser-less baby holder and those two huge diamonds (on the same finger!) on the lady in the chic hot pink/purple floral outfit, complete with matching hat.

That baby holder is Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg. (The Brits get all the publicity for no good reason.) Stephanie is one of my favs!

Here is a better photo.

E4jUWbZX0AIDMqe?format=jpg&name=medium

E4jUWaVXIAUu4en?format=jpg&name=medium

Couldn’t find a great photo of the dress, but those are good ones. And she’s sensibly wearing flats! The baby is Prince Charles and his dad is Guillaume, who is only hot when bearded.

I unbearded.

hereditary-grand-duke-guillaume-of-luxem

Bearded.

HRH-Crown-Prince-Guillaume-of-Luxembourg

Pink Lady is Queen Margrethe of Denmark. She smokes like a chimney and an under a pseudonym illustrated a version of Lord of the Rings.

She often wears pink, but I love it when she goes nutty like this.

GettyImages-815522756.jpg

• Like 15

Queen Margrethe is wearing truly old-fashioned granny hose lol. It's been a long time since I've seen the kind of orange creased hose.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Oh now I'm onto Royals: Beard or No Beard.

Here's Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands.

king-willem-alexander-z.jpg

I think he could go either way, but I prefer the beard. 

Prince Carl Philip of Sweden.

prince-carl-beard-z.jpg

Hot either way, but I like him clean shaven. 

Haakon of Norway.

prince-haakon-beard-zz-z.jpg

Another hot Scandie, but I'll take the beard please.

On the Scandies keep throwing the heat.

Fred of Denmark.

prince-frederik-z.jpg

Hot both ways!!

Felipe of Spain (who is the poster child for 'military bearing').

king-philipe-beard-z.jpg

GIVE ME THAT BEARD.

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: Hit post too soon.
  • Like 14
  • Laugh 3

12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That baby holder is Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg. (The Brits get all the publicity for no good reason.) Stephanie is one of my favs!

Here is a better photo.

E4jUWbZX0AIDMqe?format=jpg&name=medium

E4jUWaVXIAUu4en?format=jpg&name=medium

Couldn’t find a great photo of the dress, but those are good ones. And she’s sensibly wearing flats! The baby is Prince Charles and his dad is Guillaume, who is only hot when bearded.

I unbearded.

hereditary-grand-duke-guillaume-of-luxem

Bearded.

HRH-Crown-Prince-Guillaume-of-Luxembourg

Pink Lady is Queen Margrethe of Denmark. She smokes like a chimney and an under a pseudonym illustrated a version of Lord of the Rings.

She often wears pink, but I love it when she goes nutty like this.

GettyImages-815522756.jpg

The first thing I thought of was that Her Majesty looks as though she's moonlighting as a crossing guard at a garden supply warehouse! 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

16 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Forget the grate! I don't think we have ever seen the Queen not holding her purse! It is sitting all alone on that cream chair! What is going on??

Covid happened and handshakes are a no no, so Liz doesn't need the purse to discourage those.

• Like 2
  • Useful 7

I googled Norway and Sweden ages and can now officially say that all of those options are swoon worthy, bearded or not bearded. 

@bijoux Is that really why she always has her purse in her hands?

• Like 1

The politics rule applies site-wide. In addition, specific to this topic: make no comment about any elected political figure mentioned, or pictured, in connection to a royal. Please see the updated topic rules for clarification.

• Like 3

There's a funny story about Haakon and his beard. During King Harald and Queen Sonja's joint 80th birthday dinner he went out and shaved it off:

haakon-shaves-beard-a.jpg

Nobody knew exactly why he did it, at the time it was only reported that it was part of the entertainment. It was revealed later that he shaved it off so he could portray King Harald with Princess Märtha Louise as Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette Marit as Princess Astrid in some skits at the dinner:

tumblr_p1ooqanEm21usv0who7_500.gifv

tumblr_p1ovn1mN1J1usv0who1_500.gifv

The grandchildren also got involved and interviewed some of the guests (Victoria, Frederik and Beatrix):

ETA: There's multiple tiara sightings too!

Edited by Silje
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 4

Fresh photo of Henri and Marie Teresa.

I love her jacket and her short hair. The Waringo Report on her creating a hostile work environment and throwing dishes at staff seems to have gone no where....or I'm just not up to date on that. 

• Like 2

Hopefully this picture of Maxima came through - this is a stunning outfit!

maxima.jpg

• Like 9

Love the leather gloves, too.  This is a woman who knows how to accessorize.  This dress, for example, could skew mumsy, but she tosses on the bold hat, leather gloves and drop earrings and it looks modern and fun.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Silje said:

Nobody knew exactly why he did it, at the time it was only reported that it was part of the entertainment. It was revealed later that he shaved it off so he could portray King Harald with Princess Märtha Louise as Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette Marit as Princess Astrid in some skits at the dinner:

I absolutely love that story. That is commitment to some party entertainment right there. He does look good with the beard but he looks a good 10 years younger without it. 

My winners of the beard wars would be: 

1. Fred of Denmark. He's just yummy all around. 

2. Felipe of Spain. He's giving me some low level Sean Connery vibes with that beard. 

3. Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands. Without the beard he looks like some middle manager at some non-descript business firm. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Everything you wanted to know about the Audience Room.

I had enlarged that photo in the original post to see all the details. I zeroed in on the bird figurine (probably worth thousands of dollars?) and what I thought was a picture of the Queen and Prince Phillip was actually PC and Camille in your post, ha! 

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Hopefully this picture of Maxima came through - this is a stunning outfit!

maxima.jpg

@Cementhead I love your take on her outfit. The only nitpick I have, not with your take but with the dress, is that I wish they had done something different above the bust, with the lace. But on a fourth look just now, I guess it is just perfect the way it is. I am wondering if the accessories are made specifically for the dress? because they are so perfectly matched in color to the background color of the fabric. contented sigh This outfit just speaks to me.

eta Duh, the bird is worth tens of thousands of dollars. I missed the captions at the bottom on the first look. 

eta Duh two! It is the Queen and Charles in the picture, haha!

I need to go eat some supper, I am loopy with my vision right now.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

New photo of Gustaf and Silvia. They look like grandparents on a vacation cruise.

207793582_4542247672476886_9033903798203937874_n.thumb.jpg.084fbfb3b3e0c1d57fe799be8ecbcf03.jpg

Love her pants.

• Like 12

It's weird seeing royals making mask-less public appearances now.

RE: Ascot. I liked Zara Tindall's hat and Princess Anne's purple hat. I like my big hats dumb but not too dumb.

Pink Lady is Queen Margrethe of Denmark. 

First I'm hearing of this lady. I don't know if she's problematic. But I love her kooky style. The pink outfit and the one with splashes of yellow are great. I want to reach the age where I give zero fucks and dress like that. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

54 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

It's weird seeing royals making mask-less public appearances now.

RE: Ascot. I liked Zara Tindall's hat and Princess Anne's purple hat. I like my big hats dumb but not too dumb.

First I'm hearing of this lady. I don't know if she's problematic. But I love her kooky style. The pink outfit and the one with splashes of yellow are great. I want to reach the age where I give zero fucks and dress like that. 

Margrethe being a secret smoker isn’t problematic. Just a life choice.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, Cementhead said:

Love the leather gloves, too.  This is a woman who knows how to accessorize.  This dress, for example, could skew mumsy, but she tosses on the bold hat, leather gloves and drop earrings and it looks modern and fun.

Except for the watch.  IMO she doesn't need that; it overwhelms the bracelet, which coordinates beautifully with the earrings.  Especially with the gloves on, the watch is too much.  Maybe I'd feel differently if it was a gold watch.

• Useful 1

@BlackberryJam I don't care about her smoking. But I know nothing about the monarchy/politics of Denmark. I just think she's a snazzy dresser. ;)

• Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, Mabinogia said:

I think Kate has a long torso but I don't think her legs are all that short, just average and look shorter because of the long torso. 

Also, I adore George's outfit in that last pic. The sweater and shorts look is just too cute. 

Also also, William might have gotten Windsored in the face and hairline arena but that body is more than making up for it for me. 

Her legs are shorter for her height though.  You can have "long legs" if you're short when you have an even shorter torso, for example.  It's about proportion.

• Like 1

The placement of the train and the veil makes you wonder if she was heading up or going down, it's a wonderful illusion. I love the stairway going up and down also and the green color of the carpet and walls. sigh It is a very nice wedding picture. My favorite parts of the dress are the fanciful cuffs. The dress looks intentionally simple by design and then with the sleeve cuffs a little nod to the elaborate. 

Edited by stewedsquash · Reason: forgot a word/also going back and forth on grammar regarding part/is or parts/are since cuffs is plural. shrug, I am still going back and forth on this...
  • Like 4

Rare Liechtenstein royal sighting!

That's Sophie and Alois in the top left, with Henri of Luxembourg alone in front of them. The Belgies are front right corner! Sophie's hair is ...a choice. It's like a Marlo Thomas flip. Mathilde's dress looks sad and droopy and like it needs a belt or sash or something. Philippe's jacket makes him look boxy and bloated. Loving the brown polka dot in the back. It's got Julia Roberts in Pretty woman written all over it.  

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Margrethe and her sisters. It's like Golden Girls. 

I need a summer residence. 😀

• Like 5
  • Laugh 5

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Margrethe and her sisters. It's like Golden Girls. 

Not the first in their family to have done this.

Alexandra, Queen Consort of Great Britain and  her younger sister Marie, Empress Mother of All Russias rented a seaside cottage  in 1906 called Hvidore to get away from family pressures and stuffy court protocols  in autumn months for lengthy periods where they could   be Danish princesses 'Alix' and 'Minnie' all over again . 'Minnie' wound up  living  there permanently, after she fled the Russian Revolution and the murders of her sons and grandchildren,  until her own death in 1928. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

On 6/24/2021 at 4:28 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Is that hat velvet? I love it so much.

I do love that velvet hat. It would be GLORIOUS in autumn. 

• Like 1

Pallas

The rules for posting in this topic can be found in the first post. All posters in The Royals will be held accountable to these rules.