Type keyword(s) to search

Combat Sport: Boxing, MMA, Arm Wrestling

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Yesterday Dana White announced that Anderson Silva will return to the octagon in January. After the way he broke his leg, I didn't think he would ever fight again. That was one of the most horrific injuries I have ever seen in sports. 

I suppose he just doesn't want to finish his career like that. One last fight. Even if he loses via a regular method, it's better than that.

In other news, Dana is trying to line up Gina Carano to fight Ronda Rousey in December. The article I read said that Carano shouldn't go straight for the title shot. Get rid of that cage rust on some of the other women first. But my feelings, what if she loses one of those fights? There goes the big match. It's probably safer just to have the big one. And then if she wins, it was a legit match. If she loses, Rousey's legend grows even bigger. Much better.

The great Al Haymon experiment started last night withe the debut of Premier Boxing Champions. I only caught the main event, which was a pretty good fight. (Sounds like the Brody fight was awful.) The production values looked slick as all get out. Al Michaels and Marv Albert? (Although I didn't think Marv was that great. Has he ever done boxing on a regular basis?)

Yes, boring is right.  Plus, the holding calls against Klitschko made the fight even more frustrating and boring.  I wasn't sure if he was truly holding or if it was just a case of him having long arms.  In any event, it was a disappointing night.  Shouldn't he be ready to retire about now?  It's a damn shame that the heavyweight class has no big-name fighters.   Or do they?  I can't think of any offhand.

On a purely non fight-related note, I know Hayden Panetierre is a grown woman, but she looks like she's 11 next to him.  So mismatched.  (I can't help it.  I'll go back into my corner now.) 

The second happiest person right now? 

Dana White.

ETA, I take that back. I didn't realize how utterly destroyed Rousey was and that she wound up in the hospital after the fight. 

Edited by xaxat

The second happiest person right now? 

Dana White.

ETA, I take that back. I didn't realize how utterly destroyed Rousey was and that she wound up in the hospital after the fight. 

As long as Rousey's good to go for the rematch, Dana's ecstatic.

Wow, I didn't know there was a threat like this here.

I've been a UFC fan for years and watched the fight last night.  Hats off to Holly Holm for kicking the living shit out of Ronda Rousey.  Ronda was getting a little cock and Holm made her pay for it.  Like Mike Tyson once said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

It would have been worth it alone just to see how pissed off Dana White was after the fight.  He's done a lot for the sport no doubt but he's an unlikeable ass too.  Still, you get to set up the Rocky 3 scenario with Rousey and at least create another established fighter in the women's division.

I really like the Polish woman who is the Strawweight Champion.  I can never remember Joanna's last name.

Edited by benteen

Holly Holm did the rounds on First Take and His & Hers today.  She really is a breath of fresh air because she seems nice and confident, but not arrogant.  Unlike a certain female who got her face smashed in.

• Love 1

Still, you get to set up the Rocky 3 scenario with Rousey and at least create another established fighter in the women's division.

The difference being that Ronda is going to get her ass kicked again. An automatic rematch means that Ronda will not have anywhere near enough time to fix all the problems that Holly exposed and exploited. 

• Love 3

Sounds like a wonderful guy.

I think it's amazing how boxing has declined so much in the US that with the "retirement" of Floyd Mayweather, no one outside of boxing fans can name a champion in any weight class and the dethroning of a decade long heavyweight champ merits barely a mention even in sports media.

• Love 1

The era of the dominant champion is over.  All the dominant champs went down one way or another this year.

Herb Dean should be suspended for not stopping the Weidman fight in the third round and they shouldn't let Weidman's corner off the hook either.  He should not have been allowed to go out for that fourth round.

Conor is the new face of the UFC.  Aldo suffered the most embarrassing loss possible.

Bring on Conor vs Frankie next!

Edited by benteen

I can't imagine Dana White being happy with how UFC 196 went down and Dana White being unhappy makes me happy.

The McGregor/Diaz fight was awesome.  McGregor was looking good for the first 7 1/2 minutes before Diaz was finally able to wobble him.  Miesha's chokeout of Holly Holm was pretty epic.

• Love 1

I came here because I didn't know where else to go.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family & friends.

For some reason, I've been remembering a George Carlin routine about Ali's refusal to go to Vietnam.  Not verbatim, but:

"Muhammed Ali is out of work right now.  Of course, he had an unusual job: beating people up.  It's a strange occupation, but one that you're entitled to.  The government didn't see it that way; they wanted him to change jobs.  They wanted him to kill people.  And he said, "Noooo, that's where I draw the line...I'll beat 'em up, but I don't wanna kill 'em."  And the government said, "Well, if you won't kill 'em, we won't let ya beat 'em up!!"

I repeat the routine with all love and respect.  I'd like to think of those two rebels, reunited in heaven.

• Love 3

Sadly, Kimbo Slice is dead at the young age of 42.  The article says he was awaiting a heart transplant.  

I feel kind of bad now because I saw his last fight and they both looked so bad I started laughing.  The crowd booed because neither fighter looked like he wanted to be in the octagon.  So Kimbo must not have been feeling well then, and turns out the other fighter has kidney issues. 

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16028501/kimbo-slice-had-awaiting-heart-transplant

UFC 203 tonight with Miocic vs Overeem for the heavyweight title and the debut of CM Punk.

Obviously it's a few weeks past it but McGregor/Diaz 2 was a great fight on what turned out to be a really good card (far better than UFC 200).  I thought Diaz actually edged out the win but it was such a close fight.  The PPV did 1.65 million buys, a new record.

Wow.  Ronda.  She should have enough $$ stashed away though.

I think it's like someone online said, that when Ronda Rousey first came on the scene she was fighting "substitute teachers and yoga instructors." Then as time went on, and the sport became more popular among women and there was money to be made, the competition just got much stronger.  I've even noticed more husband/wife duos in MMA.

Ronda don't want no more of this.

Rickles always has a GREAT walk- out. He's fun to watch and is a pretty good fighter. The first time I saw him fight, I thought he was going to get his ass kicked - I laughed and said to myself, "The geico caveman is going to spit his teeth out....."

Boy was I surprised!

• Love 1
On 1/13/2017 at 6:40 PM, xaxat said:

I don't think its going to happen. White's not going to give up control of how the purse is split and Mayweather is not going to give up control of how the purse is split.

I was wrong.

This is a freak show. I know Mayweather is old, but McGregor has never gone against someone with boxing skills anywhere near what Mayweather has.

I won't  buy the fight, but I will watch the promo. That will probably be more entertaining than the fight.

31 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I was wrong.

This is a freak show. I know Mayweather is old, but McGregor has never gone against someone with boxing skills anywhere near what Mayweather has.

I won't  buy the fight, but I will watch the promo. That will probably be more entertaining than the fight.

Jeremy Schaap made a great comparison, asking McGregor to fight Mayweather is like asking Michael Phelps to compete in a foot race against Usain Bolt.

Two words that will keep from even thinking about watching this fight.

Dana White.

This has the potential to turn into the stupidity that was the Ali/Inoki matchup.

It will probably end on some fluke technicality - no one gets hurt, everyone gets paid.

Not buying........or selling.

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jeremy Schaap made a great comparison, asking McGregor to fight Mayweather is like asking Michael Phelps to compete in a foot race against Usain Bolt.

Even it out, make Phelps run and Bolt swims?

So WTF is the fight going to be?

Boxing, MMA? Octagon? Ring? 3 rounds? 12 rounds?

What beer are they going to sell, Is Reebok going to be the official equipment supplier?

Will we see Stitch ringside?

Who is going to be the ref, Big John?

Who is going to be the ring announcer?

1 hour ago, ElDosEquis said:

So WTF is the fight going to be?

Boxing, MMA? Octagon? Ring? 3 rounds? 12 rounds?

What beer are they going to sell, Is Reebok going to be the official equipment supplier?

Will we see Stitch ringside?

Who is going to be the ref, Big John?

Who is going to be the ring announcer?

1. Boxing, 12 rounds.
  2. Best guess is Budweiser. Reebok will definitely dress Conor.
  3. ????
  4. ????
  5. Michael Buffer, duh.
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2017 at 6:41 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Phelps is going to swim against a Great White shark. Does that count?

(And yes, his chances of "beating" a shark are the same as McGregor over Mayweather.)

Edited by xaxat

I would make the analogy that it's like having the world's best Water Polo player challenge Michael Phelps.  Swimming is a skill needed in Water Polo, but Phelps is best in the world at the specialized act of swimming fast for short distances (or he was at one point, I'm not sure if he still is).

Why the hell did Pacquiao agree to have the fight in Brisbane, Horn's hometown?  Did he think that Horn was such a pushover that it didn't matter where they fought?  I fell asleep after the 6th round but up to that point, the guy was really busy and holding his own against Pacquiao but I never thought I'd wake up the next morning to find out he'd won.  There was a lot of controversy about the decision though.  

I really would like to see boxing make a comeback because I'm getting tired of seeing the MMA meatheads.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Why the hell did Pacquiao agree to have the fight in Brisbane, Horn's hometown?

I have no idea. But that, along with the fact that it wasn't a PPV indicate how weak his negotiating position was. 

I thought Pacquiao won the fight. Horn was the aggressor (something the judges rated highly), but I thought Manny consistently got the better of him counter punching. Given the inherently subjective nature of judging fights, I wouldn't have been surprised at Horn winning cards by a point, but I didn't see a multiple point advantage.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I have no idea. But that, along with the fact that it wasn't a PPV indicate how weak his negotiating position was. 

I thought Pacquiao won the fight. Horn was the aggressor (something the judges rated highly), but I thought Manny consistently got the better of him counter punching. Given the inherently subjective nature of judging fights, I wouldn't have been surprised at Horn winning cards by a point, but I didn't see a multiple point advantage.

Yeah, all the sportscasters I saw this morning said that Pacquiao won the fight.  Stephen A's head was about to explode, lol.  

Even though Horn was aggressive, before I fell asleep it looked like Pacquiao had found his groove and so I was expecting to wake up and find out that he'd knocked Horn out. 

On 7/31/2017 at 5:49 PM, xaxat said:

So I  guess Jones is making noise about fighting Lesnar.

What are the odds that both of them will manage to be clean for a given date?

I was kind of joking when I wrote that. Can't say I'm surprised. 

I have a friend who is buying Mayweather/McGregor. I wasn't going to watch, but he has excellent taste in beer.