Type keyword(s) to search

We Are Lady Parts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Geeky biochemical engineering Ph.D. student Amina Hussein becomes the unlikely lead guitarist of Lady Parts, an all-female Muslim punk band on a mission to get a proper gig. Saira, the band's fierce and enigmatic frontwoman, sees something in Amina the others can't. Saira leverages Amina's desperation to find a husband and offers to set her up with potential matches if she agrees to join. Torn between her straitlaced university friends and members of Lady Parts, Amina tries to find her voice.

• Love 2

Anyone watching this?  I know it's only 6 parts but I am loving it and the music (especially their punk rock rendition of 9-5) is pretty good.

So far I am at episode 4. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, greekmom said:

Anyone watching this?  I know it's only 6 parts but I am loving it and the music (especially their punk rock rendition of 9-5) is pretty good.

So far I am at episode 4. 

What network?

Yay!  A thread for this.  

I am enjoying this for the most part.   They are not reinventing the wheel with the "outsider with musical gifts slowly comes out her shell and dealing with people who are different from her but will find a way to slowly accept her."  But there's a charm to it.  So glad that Showcase is picking up the shows from Peacock to air in Canada. 

• Love 3

Loved the episodes but disappointed that there were only 6 and it's done :(

Amina's parents and Momtaz's grandmother (??)  were so supportive of the band in contrast with Saira's family.

I need more episodes!

• Love 3
(edited)

I am loving this show, even my husband really likes it (more than he liked Girls5Eva, I found really funny too but he didn't want to finish). The lead actress is great, the supporting cast is great, the parents are hilarious, love that they are actually more secular then the younger generation, the songs are hilarious but good at the same time. I like that the characters are who they are, no explanation needed for why they wear hijab and or nicab or don't. It is just about the story, I don't know if a show like that could be made in Canada because they would have to be all woke and ernest before we even getting into the story and characters as real people. I can't comment on a US made show like this as I am Canadian.

5 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Loved the episodes but disappointed that there were only 6 and it's done :(

Thats pretty typical for a British series, hopefully they come back for more. Don't know if they will have the typical British Christmas episode though🤔

ETA: I have only watched 4 episodes for far

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Love 4

Ok I watched the last 2 episodes and I ,can say there was nothing I did not like about the show ;  the characters, the writing, the story arc, the music....this was a great show and I hope they will come back with another season.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

I am loving this show, even my husband really likes it (more than he liked Girls5Eva, I found really funny too but he didn't want to finish). The lead actress is great, the supporting cast is great, the parents are hilarious, love that they are actually more secular then the younger generation, the songs are hilarious but good at the same time. I like that the characters are who they are, no explanation needed for why they wear hijab and or nicab or don't. It is just about the story, I don't know if a show like that could be made in Canada because they would have to be all woke and ernest before we even getting into the story and characters as real people. I can't comment on a US made show like this as I am Canadian.

Thats pretty typical for a British series, hopefully they come back for more. Don't know if they will have the typical British Christmas episode though🤔

ETA: I have only watched 4 episodes for far

This show is what happens when you have people of that faith behind the scenes. If you’ve heard any of the stuff about Kim’s Convenience, when marginalized people are allowed to tell their stories without being whitewashed or viewed from a white gaze, when people of that group are actually in the writing room (and not just one token person), when the actors are allowed to use their lived experience, you get full, rich stories and great shows. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

A funny part was when Momtaz was upset that her mom/Grandma didn't record the "Bake-Off" 😄😄😄so British. Lots of little funny lines throughout, I need to watch it again

• Love 3

Just finished it. Like others, I really liked the characters, and I also laughed out loud several times (not as common an occurrence with sitcoms that one might think).

I'm not super into punk, but I liked these songs. Maybe because of how earnestly the band performed them.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

My husband and I binged this last night and really loved it. He was practically heart-broken when ep 6 started and I said that I was pretty sure it was the last episode. I really loved that all the characters were Muslim and from different backgrounds and varying levels of devoutness. The only sense of "otherness" I got was from the main character who didn't really fit in with the Ladyparts ladies at first, and by the end, didn't really fit in with her older group of friends. Her otherness was never about her religion, or clothing, or anything, which was refreshing.

The songs were great too. None of them were really knock your socks off amazing, but I feel like that was pretty true to punk music in general. Punk is catchy and the lyrics are usually about what no one else is singing about, but it's also usually raw and unpolished as well. I got that same vibe from the music in this show, which I thought was pretty cool. We were both signing Bashir with the Good Beard by the end of the series. Super catchy.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/19/2021 at 2:23 AM, Cinnabon said:

What network?

On 6/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, greekmom said:

Peacock in the States. Showcase in Canada.

Freakin’ Peacock! Only the first episode is available without the premium subscription. After watching it, I would have definitely watched the rest, but I already have enough subscription services. 

41 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Freakin’ Peacock! Only the first episode is available without the premium subscription. After watching it, I would have definitely watched the rest, but I already have enough subscription services. 

Peacock at least does a 7-day free trial. You just need to remember to cancel on time. I had signed up for the free trial to watch Girls5Eva and forgot to cancel in time, which was how I ended up watching We Are Lady Parts.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

This show says so much about the importance of representation but is also just funny as fuck, the songs slay, and has so much heart. I wish more people had access to it/heard about it. 

One thing that I can’t overstate is how it illustrates that hijabs or burkas are often an expression of personality/self  and not just a monolith of denying identity that is often portrayed in “Western” Judeo-Christian culture.

But to reiterate it’s funny and the songs slap.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

I watched this over a few days and I really liked it a lot.  Very well done - cast, story, everything.

I hope that there is a Season 2.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:40 PM, SoMuchTV said:

It's funny, people complained about the high price of cable for all the different channels.  Now you have this service, and that service, and when you add it all up, it seems just as expensive and more complicated than cable to be able to watch stuff anymore.

On 7/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, biakbiak said:

One thing that I can’t overstate is how it illustrates that hijabs or burkas are often an expression of personality/self  and not just a monolith of denying identity that is often portrayed in “Western” Judeo-Christian culture.

I noticed that the women who wore head and/or face coverings had their own style about how they were worn - and were consistent about it.  It was interesting to note the differences.

• Love 2

So glad I gave this a shot before my Peacock subscription expired because I loved it. One of the few things I've watched recently that managed to make me laugh and cry. All the characters are great, but Amina's anxiety issues really resonated with me. Her poetry reading was hard to watch because it was so well-acted. I also loved the fantasy sequences and how the show looks and feels overall. There's a freshness and brightness to it that's just so engaging.  

It's disappointing that there hasn't been a season 2 announcement yet, but hopefully that'll happen soon.

• Love 4

I loved this show so much! The ladies were fabulous; they had great comedic timing and really tugged at the heartstrings during those emotional moments. I am always a sucker for found family / friendships and women supporting women and music in a show. Like some of you have said above, I love that it gave these Muslim women a space to express themselves and didn't pander or go overboard trying to be "woke" -- it was honest and let the characters and their world speak for themselves. I really hope we see a season 2 because there's so much more to the characters to explore.  

• Love 3

I want to add my voice to those who love this series.  I was hooked from the opening minutes and watched straight through to the end.  I even got my mom and sister hooked on it, and we usually never like the same shows.  It has such a great mix of fun and emotionally resonant, the likes of which you rarely see pulled off well in comedies.  I loved all of the characters.  Hoping there will be a Season 2!

• Love 7

After seeing several clips on Facebook that piqued my interest, I buckled and signed up for Peacock just to binge this show. It reminded me of Bend it Like Beckham with the setting and fantasy sequences, but I loved that the tension was not centered in the main character's family. He parents already rebelled/made their own way, so now she gets to just figure herself out.

• Love 3

Just finished the season and want to add to the love. I am probably as far as you can get from the target audience: baby boomer in my early 70s, don't like punk rock (though I do like classic rock, folk rock, and Don McLean), and don't like excessive cursing in TV shows and movies. But somehow, despite being a Jewish old lady, I could relate to and care about the young Muslim women in the band--especially Amina and Saira. The F-bombs didn't bother me, and I even liked a lot of their original songs. But I kind of wish they hadn't used We Are the Champions as the triumphant finale; I get why they did, but the off-key singing was really jarring when compared with my memory of Freddy Mercury and Queen. Still, that was my only complaint about the show. Can't wait for Season 2! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just binged this and now I can't get Bashir with the Good Beard out of my head.  This show is excellent all around - writing, acting . . . . I like how we are just dropped into their world.  I don't think it would have been made more "woke" elsewhere.  However, I do think that if it was made by a different team, there would have been more time spent explaining certain things pertinent to their background and faith.  Instead the show simply exists within the culture without feeling the need to explain everything that may be unique within that subculture.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

We Are Lady Parts has been awarded a Peabody! Presentation/Acceptance video at the website linked here:

https://peabodyawards.com/award-profile/we-are-lady-parts/

The rebellious spirit of the Sex Pistols meets the guiding wisdom of the Quran in We Are Lady Parts, Nida Manzoor’s subversive British comedy about an all-female, all-Muslim punk band’s determination to win a spot at the annual battle of the bands competition. Dressed in hijabs and ripped jeans, niqab face scarves and combat boots, the women are poised to infiltrate London’s punk patriarchy with original songs like “Voldemort Under My Headscarf,” “Bashir with the Good Beard,” and “Ain’t No One Gonna Honour Kill My Sister But Me,” but first they must find a lead guitarist, a gig, and perhaps a fan or two. This irreverent, charming, and utterly fresh series, which streams on Peacock in the United States, obliterates MENA and South Asian stereotypes while fearlessly tackling taboos about Islam—all inside of a story inspired by This Is Spinal Tap. The six-part series sets itself apart by offering a multifaceted depiction of Muslim women rarely seen on screen. The band, played by Anjana Vasan, Sarah Kameela Impey, Juliet Motamed, Faith Omole, and Lucie Shorthouse, is a mix of anti-establishment feminists: a nerdy microbiology Ph.D. student with crippling stage fright, a foul-mouthed niqabi manager with a vaping addiction, and a fierce halal butcher with a temper. They bang out songs (all written by Manzoor, her siblings Shez and Sanya Manzoor, and Benjamin Fregin) that combine Riot Grrrl ferocity with sharp cultural satire. And perhaps most importantly, these Black and brown daughters of immigrants are as diverse as the music they play. For challenging Western notions of sameness and Hollywood’s portrayal of Muslim women as victims of their own faith, we celebrate this new wave of anarchy in the UK and We Are Lady Parts with a Peabody Award.

• Love 9

Only half-way through episode 3 (trying to make it last). I think I watched the "Bashir with a Good Beard" scene a good half dozen times. The writing, the music, the actors, everything just works and it's all entirely delightful.  

• Love 8