Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: The Cheesier the Better

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

A very late comment because I keep forgetting things that I mean to say while I scroll through everyone's comments, but there was some discussion about how Jamie was the only one that ended up helping Dawn at the end with plating.  From what it looked like, as soon as the chefs were done with their service, they left.  I think it showed Shota packing his stuff up first and just putting his head down and heading out, and then Gabe.  And by the time Jamie was helping Dawn, it looked like the kitchen was just the two of them.  I have no idea if that was the rules, that the chefs who were done couldn't hang out, but considering the closeness and camaraderie this season, if Shota and Gabe were allowed to help, it is surprising they didn't offer.  

It would seem somewhat unfair if they were allowed to hang around and help, because then the last contestant finishing could get help from all of them. Especially because then some of the chefs would be completely done (as opposed to helping out while they're still working on their own dish). But I am sort of curious about the rule now...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

It would seem somewhat unfair if they were allowed to hang around and help, because then the last contestant finishing could get help from all of them. Especially because then some of the chefs would be completely done (as opposed to helping out while they're still working on their own dish). But I am sort of curious about the rule now...

Definitely curious if it was a rule for them to leave because they just put their heads down and left.  It almost seemed like there was any thought of staying, even to hang around and watch.  

48 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Definitely curious if it was a rule for them to leave because they just put their heads down and left.  It almost seemed like there was any thought of staying, even to hang around and watch.  

In the past people could help before they served but not help after they had. In the case of them just standing there where else would they go? They have to wait around for judge’s table. 

In fact, in the Colorado season, Chris talked about his sobriety and how uncomfortable he was working with a challenge that required him to make a beer-based drink. He did a pretty lousy job on the challenge as a result, but he never suggested they shouldn't do the challenge. I don't know if he should've been put in that position or not, but I wouldn't compare it to a food allergy or tolerance either.

• Love 3

After we get everyone to say (and caption) gougère properly we can move on to mascarpone! Please and thank you.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, biakbiak said:

In the past people could help before they served but not help after they had. In the case of them just standing there where else would they go? They have to wait around for judge’s table. 

Yes they always pack their knives and leave the kitchen after presenting, so help is only available from those who haven't gone yet. Watching Jamie help two of them plate, it occurred to me it's a significant advantage to go early -- there is more of a chance someone will stop their prep and help you. By the end, they are no extra hands.