Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: We're Selling Washing Machines

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Patty’s boyfriend is Also an asshole. Didn’t he say to her something snarky about all the carbs & animals she eats? I forget the context now.  Patty & Allison  have more in common then they realize 

I think Patty is starting to realize that too.  I do think part of his we're eating healthy, here's a bagged salad is because she said she is at the pharmacy to pick up cholesterol medicine.  That still doesn't excuse the at home eating bagged salad while watching TV date during which he waxes on about how little it cost.  He could at least do something to make the night feel special rather than we can spend the rest of our lives together parked on the couch eating off of TV trays. None of the men in that sphere seem to actually listen to the women, and the women have been taught to expect very little of value from them. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I keep getting Kevin-had-an-affair-with-Patty vibes. I could be wrong, but neighbors do such things. I mean, why did Patty look horrified when the boyfriend asked her to marry him?

Maybe she looked horrified because she didn't want to be tied down to someone who lives on salad while watching tv all night.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Patty’s boyfriend is Also an asshole. Didn’t he say to her something snarky about all the carbs & animals she eats? I forget the context now.  Patty & Allison  have more in common then they realize 

When she went to pharmacist for her new stash....her boyfriend remarked on her needing some med again and that maybe it was because of the carbs and fats she was eating.

• Love 2

So was the customer, Judi, who gave Patty the book (which Judi said hadn't been checked out in a long time) she later hollowed out the same librarian that Allison talked to at the library (looks like it now that I checked IMDB). If so, I wonder if that will that come back somehow.  

I am all in on this show. I can't wait for it each week. I adore Annie Murphy, and Mary Hollis Inboden is as much of a draw for me now. I thought she was great the first two episodes and enjoyed more of a focus on her here. So glad these two are going to have an actual relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I unfortunately missed this episode because my DVR didn’t record it, probably because it thought it was a repeat because it already showed on AMC+. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on recording the rest of the season

5 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I unfortunately missed this episode because my DVR didn’t record it, probably because it thought it was a repeat because it already showed on AMC+. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on recording the rest of the season

If you have a cable/other provider that has AMC (which apparently you do, if you planned to DVR it), you should at least be able to go to the AMC website and log in with your provider credentials and watch it there.  If you have a Fire Stick or probably some other smart devices, there should also be an app there that will let you watch it.  Just the ones that have already been aired, unless you pay for the premium level.

• Useful 1
On 6/30/2021 at 10:17 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

He could at least do something to make the night feel special rather than we can spend the rest of our lives together parked on the couch eating off of TV trays. None of the men in that sphere seem to actually listen to the women, and the women have been taught to expect very little of value from them. 

That's why I originally thought that he was her husband.  This seemed to be a totally settled routine for them: watching TV, him harping at her for her eating habits, low-key suggestion that they have sex later which she calmly rejects.  

• Love 2

I actually wouldn't mind a Kurt too much. With a little adjustment he could be the ideal boyfriend for me. I'd happily come in from an evening of sports with my friends and be served up a healthy dinner with some Netflix and chill. If he wanted to discuss his grocery savings for a minute or two, that'd be a small price to pay. I bet he cleans up after dinner too.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, AllyB said:

I actually wouldn't mind a Kurt too much. With a little adjustment he could be the ideal boyfriend for me. I'd happily come in from an evening of sports with my friends and be served up a healthy dinner with some Netflix and chill. If he wanted to discuss his grocery savings for a minute or two, that'd be a small price to pay. I bet he cleans up after dinner too.

Hee, I had a very strange moment during that scene, as I sat at our dinner table, eating our healthy dinner, with my husband. I don't think the issue is what he was doing but that she was unhappy with that and with him, and apparently was not actually interested in the whole eating healthy thing he'd started. Also, it seems like she didn't like the show they were watching. We only watch shows we both like, it's totally different 😅

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, CarobCake said:

Hee, I had a very strange moment during that scene, as I sat at our dinner table, eating our healthy dinner, with my husband. I don't think the issue is what he was doing but that she was unhappy with that and with him, and apparently was not actually interested in the whole eating healthy thing he'd started. Also, it seems like she didn't like the show they were watching. We only watch shows we both like, it's totally different 😅

Me to husband:  (we almost never eat dinner not in front of the TV.  But not on trays. I’m on the floor, he has his plate on his lap. And we watch food shows like Top Chef or Hell’s Kitchen )

”that looks depressing.  But not like us.  Cuz that’s *not* depressing.”

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Hey, nothing wrong with bagged salad in front of the TV, if both people are into it or they take turns doing other things if one isn't. Kurt's the perfect romantic partner for someone. But that relationship, imo, is one factor that will make Patty a bit more able to understand why Allison boiled like a frog in slowly heating water and ended up staying in a relationship where her needs are at best an afterthought. Or something. I can Patty thinking she's someone who wouldn't take shit from a man, and then realizing in a way, even if the man wasn't trying to be manipulative and abusive (like Kevin), he still wasn't tuned in to her feelings. So, yeah, he was open to ordering chimichangas that one night, which is more than Kevin would likely ever do, and maybe he'd be better going forward. But I think Patty now can see Allison came to feel stuck and will have more empathy going forward. Or I'll have a different take after the next episode. But  I like that the show makes me think and care about the characters. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm in the "Kurt is an asshole" camp. When he saw Patty walk into the pharmacy (where he apparently works because he was wearing a polo shirt with the pharmacy's name printed on it) he taunted her about needing Lipitor (a cholesterol-lowering drug) because of her unhealthy diet, essentially implying that she's eating her way to a heart attack. That's not only cruel but also unprofessional, because in that moment she was a customer at his workplace and not just his girlfriend. Also, bagged salad is disgusting - I say this as a very healthy, plant-based eater. Maybe she would be more open to eating healthier if he put some effort into cooking meals with unprocessed carbs, lean proteins, and a large variety of vegetables.

I also have a bad feeling about Sam. Allison seems to idealize him as "the one who got away" but he was happy to cheat on his then-girlfriend, now-wife with Allison, and now invited Allison to his AA chip ceremony knowing his wife would also be there. I feel like he knows that Allison still has feelings for him and is exploiting that without any intention of leaving his wife for her.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
On 6/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I do think part of his we're eating healthy, here's a bagged salad is because she said she is at the pharmacy to pick up cholesterol medicine.

I thought he was trying to lose weight. Without going back to rewatch, I think he said something about that and that he was glad she was there dieting with him because he didn’t or couldn’t do it alone.

30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I also have a bad feeling about Sam. Allison seems to idealize him as "the one who got away" but he was happy to cheat on his then-girlfriend, now-wife with Allison

BTW, his then-girlfriend was in Amherst at the time and Allison said seeing him makes her feel 15 again??? Big yikes.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/4/2021 at 12:16 AM, chocolatine said:

I also have a bad feeling about Sam. Allison seems to idealize him as "the one who got away" but he was happy to cheat on his then-girlfriend, now-wife with Allison, and now invited Allison to his AA chip ceremony knowing his wife would also be there. I feel like he knows that Allison still has feelings for him and is exploiting that without any intention of leaving his wife for her.

I loved that Allison is fixated on Sam like he's the one who's going to make her life better but the reality is that he was a scummy teenager who messed around with Allison behind his girlfriend's back, and Adult Sam is not exactly coming off like he has altruistic intentions here. The feeling I'm getting i s that Allison is just trading one delusion for another.

I really liked the character development with Patty in this episode.

Finally, agree that Kevin totally threw the chili on Allison on purpose.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 6/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, SoMuchTV said:

This seems to be turning into Breaking Bad, with clips of the original idea for Better Call Saul interspersed.  Not that I'm complaining.

Spoiler tagging in an abundance of caution in case you don't want to see future episode titles:

Reveal spoiler

In fact, I had to go to IMDB to check because the next episode title, "Live Free or Die", made me think of a BB episode.  Nope, it was "The Granite State".  Same state, though.

This was my thought as well......breaking bad direction.  

On 7/6/2021 at 3:32 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I loved that Allison is fixated on Sam like he's the one who's going to make her life better but the reality is that he was a scummy teenager who messed around with Allison behind his girlfriend's back, and Adult Sam is not exactly coming off like he has altruistic intentions here. The feeling I'm getting i s that Allison is just trading one delusion for another.

I really liked the character development with Patty in this episode.

Finally, agree that Kevin totally threw the chili on Allison on purpose.

True about Sam, but she views him I think, and as a story device he represents, more the path she didn't take I assume vs where she ended up with Kevin.  And she seemed to have a realization at the AA meeting when he admitted his past that the Sam direction had its own perilous path, just different than with Kevin.  And sounds like much more dangerous. 

This is like Thelma and Louise meets breaking bad.  

• Love 1
On 7/4/2021 at 12:16 AM, chocolatine said:

I'm in the "Kurt is an asshole" camp. When he saw Patty walk into the pharmacy (where he apparently works because he was wearing a polo shirt with the pharmacy's name printed on it) he taunted her about needing Lipitor (a cholesterol-lowering drug) because of her unhealthy diet, essentially implying that she's eating her way to a heart attack. That's not only cruel but also unprofessional, because in that moment she was a customer at his workplace and not just his girlfriend. Also, bagged salad is disgusting - I say this as a very healthy, plant-based eater. Maybe she would be more open to eating healthier if he put some effort into cooking meals with unprocessed carbs, lean proteins, and a large variety of vegetables.

Pretty sure he seemed surprised that his wife was there.  But, that doesn't take away from the skeeviness of it.  He should not have invited Allison.

• Love 1

I see Allison as someone who has extreme issues with her self esteem, confidence, worth, etc.  Probably has her entire life.  Whatever sport (was it swimming?) she was in in high school gave her some confidence, but since she gave that up everything has gone downhill.  Maybe she was subject to verbal or physical abuse as a child, and believes she's stupid, not worthy, etc.  So she settles for messing around with the guy she likes even though he has a girlfriend, he probably convinced her that this was "winning".  She somehow ends up with Kevin, again, believing that this was what she deserved in life.  She thinks if she makes herself pretty, goes to Sam's meeting, etc., he will like her and maybe be her way out of all this.  But this is just as delusional as her fantasy about killing Kevin.

I agree with others who think that Kevin in reality is abusive, at least emotionally/verbally, if not physically.  I think the sitcom scenes are how Kevin views himself - funny (laugh track), well intentioned, the guy everyone likes.  In reality, he's saying similar things but intended to be mean, to purposely cut Allison down.  But this is how he justifies his reality. 

This is a weird show.  It's weird to say I "like" it, because it is disturbing in so many ways. 

• Love 4
On 6/28/2021 at 3:19 PM, Harvey said:

Patti is Neil's sister.

Oh damn. I thought she was his wife. Yikes. I thought the guy she was seeing with the salad was an affair. 

On 6/28/2021 at 9:51 PM, qtpye said:

I would expect someone of Allison's age to know better

I run into women all the time who have no clue about things they've delegated to their man, things I thought all adults just did or at least knew how to do. THe same goes in the opposite direction-- men who have no idea how to do stuff like operate a washing machine or cook even basic meals for themselves, or whatever else they've decided is the job of some female to do for them.

I also run into single people who don't seem to know basic things, and I wonder how the hell they are surviving. But I have finally accepted that there are clearly a lot of people bumping through life completely lacking in awareness of things that don't seem optional, to me.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:04 PM, WaltersHair said:

why did Patty look horrified when the boyfriend asked her to marry him?

Because she doesn't like or respect him? She looks between bored and revolted whenever we see her sitting with him. And she's told him nothing about her life, nor has he met her family. He has no idea who she is and she's not in love with him even a tiny bit.

I don't quite understand how they busted the pharmacist. They got the tip that he was a supplier, but they didn't send anyone in there to test the theory and try to make a buy? They clearly don't suspect Patty, so it wasn't just from observing her conversation with him.

• Love 1