Type keyword(s) to search

The Celebrity Dating Game - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Given that they're making the "guess who I am" such a big part of the show, I would think maybe they should at least put some sort of ideas in the contestants heads before they take the stage.  By that, I mean prep them with "Your celebrity is known from a popular reality TV show, or known from a long running sitcom."  At least they can rack their brains before the show starts to come up with some names of people to say.

I had no recognition of Nolan Gould either by name or on sight, as my knowledge of Modern Family would be a few episodes 8-9 years ago.  He was very good on this show, and I agreed with his choice of dates. At the very least, I think I could have an interesting conversation for a couple hours with that person just mining around for what her life was like before and after moving here.

On the other hand, I would have needed approximately half a sentence before I recognized Gabriel Iglesias's voice.  He's a funny dude with a unique voice and delivery.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2021 at 3:21 AM, Diana Berry said:

I think Joel Mchale said he was picking up anything that was offered.

I know Joel McHale is not everybody's cup o' tea but I would have preferred him over Zoey Deschanel. He's got the snarky wit going on.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, seacliffsal said:

I thought Nolan Gould was delightful but couldn't believe the contestants couldn't guess him after Michael Bolton's song!!! 

Right!? The song made it so obvious. To be fair, I wouldn't have known his name, but I would have said "the brother from Modern Family." Anyway. Nolan was really personable and cute. Fun fact: he is a certified genius.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, seacliffsal said:

I still think they should clearly identify the mystery celeb before the "losing" contestants come out to meet him/her.  I would imagine that many "losing" contestants still don't know who the "celeb" is even after coming out at the end.  

This. I don't recognize a lot of these B-list celebs, but I recognize their names once said out loud.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:00 AM, JTMacc99 said:

On the other hand, I would have needed approximately half a sentence before I recognized Gabriel Iglesias's voice.  He's a funny dude with a unique voice and delivery.

I would have recognized Gabriel Iglesias' voice right away. I don't know why he's on this show though. He's got a long-term girlfriend.

(edited)

This was the first episode where I thought the absurdity worked (I only watched the first half-hour). 

And yes, David Koechner does have 5 kids, but he's also currently married, so the reality of this show is definitely askew. 

Edit: Hmm. I stand corrected, apparently in 2020 he filed for divorce. 

Edited by Phishbulb

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW I WATCH IT EVERY WEEK. ITS FUN AND FUNNY AND BOY OLE MIKY CAN SING THEM SONGS HUH... AND ZOEY IS JUST BEAUTIFUL.. I LIKED HER ON YES MAN WITH JIM CARREY AS WELL.. ZOEY IS A BABE....

I don't think it's any better or worse than the original. At least we get to see "celebrities"...although they really need to wait until the end before asking "who do you think I am"?  Repeatedly asking is a waste of time, especially since they can't answer until the reveal.

• Love 3
On 7/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, Cowgirl said:

This is one of the few shows in my life I stopped watching after just two episodes.  SOOOOOO bad.  

I too gave up after 2-3 episodes, which is really saying something because I watch a lot of crap (the Bachelor franchise, Jersey Shore, Love Island, Real Housewives...).  Zooey seemed stiff/uncomfortable, but Michael Bolton seemed like he didn't know what was happening most of the time.  I felt bad for the celebrities, especially the ones where no one seemed to know who they were.  I felt bad for the contestants putting them on the spot making them guess, even when they clearly had no idea.  And, like others, I question whether any of this ever materialized into a single date.

I'm dating myself (pun not intended), but I can remember the original show....  I'm pretty sure the resulting "date," well, at least the ones that involved a trip somewhere, included a chaperone.  :-D 

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1

This last episode was, surprisingly, enjoyable.  Who they bring on as the "celebrities" as well as contestants is really important to a format such as this.  When the "celebrities" are there to have fun it can be quite light-hearted.  It also seems that the contestants who try to be the 'sexiest' aren't chosen that often.  Zooey became more comfortable in her role and Michael Bolton was a revelation (and I loved that Zooey and the "celebrities" played up to him a bit).

I guess once they got past the Bachelor Nation "celebrities" and other lessen known (at least to me) people and featured some who at least were on better known shows or had other more recent accomplishments it became much more enjoyable.

• Love 2