Type keyword(s) to search

The Celebrity Dating Game - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hosted by actress and singer-songwriter Zooey Deschanel and multiple Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Michael Bolton, "The Celebrity Dating Game" offers a wry wink at modern dating with a star-studded roster of celebrity singles from television, music, comedy, reality TV and feature film in their pursuit to find love. Offering the same iconic feel as the original classic dating show, each episode follows two celebrities who each pick one lucky suitor from a hidden panel of three bachelors and/or bachelorettes based on answers to a variety of questions. But there's a twist! The celebrity identities will remain a mystery to their suitors, who are given clues via hilarious parody song performances by host Michael Bolton.

It was weird.  Michael Bolton sitting there, then singing songs?  What’s the connection, except he’s the producer.  Hannah Brown? She’s still around?  The guys talked a little raunchy for t.v., and I don’t think the matches were good.  I’ll only watch if there’s nothing else on.  I do love Michael Bolton tho .. seen him in concert.  It’s a hit or miss.

• Love 3

Concerning Michael Bolton's looks, geeze, the man is 68.  What do you people want from him?  LOL.

I'm a big Bolton and Deschanel fan (also love Nichole Bryer) but yeah, this was bad.  I liked Zooey's dress.  That's about the only positive thing I can say about the episode.  

• Love 3

I saw one question/answer and turned the channel. Came here to see if anyone actually watched the whole thing or liked it. Nice seeing you guys but I won't be back. Teevee off and dead silence is better than this dreck.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I watched.  I kept thinking of that serial killer that was on the original version.  It made me look at the men and wonder if any of them was going to be showing up on Dateline in the future.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I had a few laughs with Nicole's guys. They were so bad. Plus her voice is so identifiable that I was hoping a guy would end his answer with "nailed it!"

I wish they at least had a follow-up on their dates. Right now it feels like there is no conclusion. Just guys meeting a d list celeb and calling it a day. 

Call me crazy but I like Bolton's idgaf songs. 

• Love 9

I did like Michael Bolton's songs but Zooey was not an enjoyable host IMO.  But, then again, I don't know who could host this and make it enjoyable.  The "bachelors" just overall didn't seem to be very personable or quick witted.  I really didn't like that every 3 questions it seemed like they were asking "who do you think I am?"  And then it seemed like Zooey never really told the "bachelors" who the "celebrity" was.  And yes, I stayed for the entire show (silly, silly me...).

I may give this another shot-and, of course, hope that they have more recognizable "celebrities."

• Love 3

I watched the entire thing.  It was awful.  I can't really think of anything I liked about it.  Although I never realized until last night that Zooey Deschanel has zero musical rhythm and can't dance a step.   And fake running across the stage is not choreography.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I had a few laughs with Nicole's guys. They were so bad. Plus her voice is so identifiable that I was hoping a guy would end his answer with "nailed it!"

I wish they at least had a follow-up on their dates. Right now it feels like there is no conclusion. Just guys meeting a d list celeb and calling it a day. 

Call me crazy but I like Bolton's idgaf songs. 

Yes!  I feel like they should at least post a video of the date on youtube or something.  Just five minutes showing them going to dinner or whatever.  They didn't even announce what the date would be.  Do they even go on a date or do they just head back to the ice cream bar in the green room (I'm assuming there was an ice cream bar since Zooey kept saying that the non-picked bachelors got ice cream)?  

• Love 6

Man, it was bad.

Zooey was incredibly awkward and stilted. 

The first bachelor for Hannah Brown had horrible arm pit stains. I felt bad for him, it is probably incredibly hot under those lights, but the producers should have made sure that it didn’t happen.

Hannah Brown can leave my TV screen forever.

• Love 3

This was definitely an awkward show! I really like Zoey but hosting is not her thing!!! Bolton needs darker hair but he still really sounds good!! And I agree....no announcing on where they are going on a date???? Sigh...and yes...the poor dude with pit stains!!!!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, chitowngirl said:

I cannot think of a show I want to watch less than this one

Agree! Zooey Deschanel and Michael Bolton? Could it be any worse? 😂

Edited by Cinnabon
On 6/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, LakeGal said:

I watched.  I kept thinking of that serial killer that was on the original version.  It made me look at the men and wonder if any of them was going to be showing up on Dateline in the future.  

Same!

I watched it all. It was stupid. I loved it lol.

• Love 1

It’s funny, I was thinking that this show should be following Celebrity Family Feud as opposed to The Bachelorette. 

Tonight it’s re-airing. After Celebrity Family Feud. Heh.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It’s funny, I was thinking that this show should be following Celebrity Family Feud as opposed to The Bachelorette. 

I didn't know it had The Bachelorette as a lead-in. That somewhat helps explain why they're having Demi Burnett on. I mean, Hannah Brown is sort of tangentially a 'celebrity' but Demi would not be known by anyone who doesn't watch The Bachelor franchise.

This was SO bad, I had to find a forum to see if others hated it as much as I did.  Primetimer did not disappoint me! They have GOT to get more famous celebs.  I don't think any of the bachelors in the second one even knew who the celebrity was.  I also think the armpit stained gentlemen was one of the contestants on I Love New York years ago.  I just saw the reunion show recently, weirdly put together after about 10  years had gone by. 

I watched this for the first time tonight and this show is so bad.  I feel so sad for Michael Bolton sitting there looking like a statue.  I've always loved his voice and being a judge/guest judge on The Voice or American Idol would have been better than this crapfest.   He deserves better.  

• Love 3
On 6/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't know it had The Bachelorette as a lead-in. That somewhat helps explain why they're having Demi Burnett on. I mean, Hannah Brown is sort of tangentially a 'celebrity' but Demi would not be known by anyone who doesn't watch The Bachelor franchise.

I've watched The Bachelor franchise since season 1 and I don't know who Demi Burnett is. Like we're suppose to remember all 25-30 contestants on every season since the beginning of time? Sorry Demi, whoever you are.

I watched Carson Kresley's segment last night all the way through because I love Carson. But the premise seems to be the three contestants have to guess who the celebrity is. What's up with that? The middle guy knew it was Carson from the get go yet he wouldn't say Carson's full name which, of course, would have ruined it for the other two guessing. Then Carson picks his "date" yet they don't go on a date. So as far as I can see, this show should be named Celebrity Name Guessing Game because there is no date involved, just "And contestant number one, who do YOU think the celebrity is?"

At least Carson was entertaining which is more than I can say about anything else on this show.

• Love 4

I admit I watched this last night.  I really believe the guys were told who Iggy was.  They had no idea at all and could not name anyone from Australia.  They come back from commercial and two of them knew exactly who she was.  It seemed off to me.  I think they did not want to make her feel bad.  She kept asking questions about how they would feel being in public with someone more popular than they were.  It would have looked bad if they did not even know her.  Meanwhile Carson has a very distinct voice and I believe they did recognize him.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So as far as I can see, this show should be named Celebrity Name Guessing Game because there is no date involved, just "And contestant number one, who do

That's exactly what I was thinking. Dating is just the vague framework for the questions to ask. I did get a kick out of how much it bothered Iggy that nobody knew who she was. Seems like her whole personality is that she is Australian. Carson at least had fun with it.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the Iggy segment the most out of the four celebrities that have aired so far, which isn't really saying that much actually.  And I believe that the bachelors could have figured it out after Bolton's song - it was quite detailed with specific rap lyrics, for example.

Apparently, the theme is completely undanceable, or Iggy Azalea can't dance any better than Zooey, or both.  Probably both.  Her asking Zooey for advice on how to move to the music was ironic.

• Love 1

This episode was a bit more fun as Zooey seemed toned down a bit and the celebrities were fun (and, IMO, more well known).  I will watch Carson on any show as I think he just brings a nice energy and is pretty willing to try any new experience.  Although I don't know anything about Iggy outside of her name, I thought she was fun.  Michael Bolton's songs were great and he still sounds really good (I happen to like his voice, so it may not be as appealing to others).   I still don't like the "who do you think I am" questions, but maybe if the contestants knew who the "celebrity" was they might not try as hard if they didn't care for that person.  

• Love 6
On 6/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, Hangin Out said:

It was weird.  Michael Bolton sitting there, then singing songs?  What’s the connection, except he’s the producer.  Hannah Brown? She’s still around?  The guys talked a little raunchy for t.v., and I don’t think the matches were good.  I’ll only watch if there’s nothing else on.  I do love Michael Bolton tho .. seen him in concert.  It’s a hit or miss.

We watched it once and thought it was awful. Michael Bolton looked uncomfortable. They could have just brought him out when it's time to sing.

• Love 2

This is such an odd show so why I have seen all three episodes.  But I have.

Today was probably both the best of times and the worst of times.  Taye's segment was kind of boring with uninspired responses. The one bachelorette knew who Taye Diggs was right off the bat and yet she couldn't think of any clever responses like "I would absolute Digg getting together with you" or my kissing technique leaves people "tayed in knots?"  Stupid I know but better than a numerical response. 

On the other hand, I thought Demi's segment was a lot of fun.  I have no idea who she is but it is nice that we have same sex couples with Carson last week and a dual gender panel for Demi, who I gather is bisexual?  Other than the Mr. YOLO hottie in the middle, she actually got some good responses. Her revealing who she was cracked me up. And I would've picked #3 as well.

3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Is Zoey an actress, singer or what?  I’ve never seen her before.

All of the above...and most recently, roommate of Jonathan Scott, one half of the Property Bros.

• Love 1

During the first episode of the show I could not believe that the producers considered Hannah Brown a celebrity, but she did have her own season of the Bachelorette and was on Dancing with the Stars so I guess it kind of makes sense.  However, last night was frustrating in that how in the world is Demi considered a celebrity?  And, how would anyone guess her?  I guess if one watched every episode of every Bachelor iteration it could be possible to guess her.  But, if she is the best "celebrity" they can find to feature on this show, it really does spell doom for the series.  Taye Diggs is a celebrity, but Demi?

Surprisingly, my favorite part of this horrible show (which obviously isn't so horrible that I'm still watching it...) is Michael Bolton.  Go figure...

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Taye Diggs is a celebrity, but Demi?

Like you, I'm still watching, but I do think this point about Demi/Taye will be the benchmark for which segments I will watch.  I stuck with the entire Taye Diggs segment, because I know who he is and wanted to see how it ended. When they trotted out "person I've never seen before in my life", I tuned out.  It's not "Celebrity Dating Game" to me if there aren't any actual celebrities participating.  

• Love 6

If they want to continue with "the celebrity guest is  mystery..." I think they should at least announce who it is before the 'losers' come out-and it would give time to the 'winners' who have no idea who the 'celebrity' is to get their reactions of surprise and recognition ready.  I still don't like the "who do you think I am?" questions.  Just let the contestants know who the 'celebrity/unknown person who we really want on the show even though nobody knows who they aree' is from the start.  

On 6/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, Crashcourse said:

I feel so sad for Michael Bolton sitting there looking like a statue.

An Easter Island statue.  What's the deal with him never moving his mouth?  He was just awful.

5 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I only watched because it was either this or the Bachelorette. 

Busted!  This is on AFTER the Bachelorette.  I bet you watched both.  😀

• LOL 5

This ranks up there as one of the worst reality shows evah.

still watching for the Michael Bolton songs.

no way  do I believe they ever go on a date . The old show would tell where they were sending them. 

• Love 2
On 6/29/2021 at 3:29 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

An Easter Island statue.  What's the deal with him never moving his mouth?  He was just awful.

Busted!  This is on AFTER the Bachelorette.  I bet you watched both.  😀

(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 9:45 PM, Hangin Out said:

June 28 - This show won’t last.  Michael is too good for just sitting there looking stupid.  Is Zoey an actress, singer or what?  I’ve never seen her before.

That's surprising. She was the lead for several seasons of the Emmy nominated sitcom New Girl as well as starring in several well known films including 500 Days of Summer with Joseph Gordon Leavitt, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and most famously as Jovie in the Xmas classic "Elf". She's a decent singer too and is known for her manic pixie fashion style. Sad that she is described not as an accomplished actor/singer but only as a live in lover of a Property Brother even if it is true! That said--this show is incredibly stupid but I'm 6 for 6 in predicting who will be picked! Its fun to have on while I'm preparing summer music lessons as its funny and can mostly be listened to rather than watched. 

Edited by lark37
Listened has an N not an M
On 7/12/2021 at 12:15 AM, lark37 said:

That's surprising. She was the lead for several seasons of the Emmy nominated sitcom New Girl as well as starring in several well known films including 500 Days of Summer with Joseph Gordon Leavitt, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and most famously as Jovie in the Xmas classic "Elf". She's a decent singer too and is known for her manic pixie fashion style. Sad that she is described not as an accomplished actor/singer but only as a live in lover of a Property Brother even if it is true! That said--this show is incredibly stupid but I'm 6 for 6 in predicting who will be picked! Its fun to have on while I'm preparing summer music lessons as its funny and can mostly be listened to rather than watched. 

It took me 15 minutes to figure out the celeb.  I knew he sounded familiar.

it may have been she just needed some work during the pandemic.  I think Joel Mchale said he was picking up anything that was offered.

I thought Nolan Gould was delightful but couldn't believe the contestants couldn't guess him after Michael Bolton's song!!!  I believe that he and Taye Diggs have been the most well-known celebs thus far.

I still think they should clearly identify the mystery celeb before the "losing" contestants come out to meet him/her.  I would imagine that many "losing" contestants still don't know who the "celeb" is even after coming out at the end.  

They have the fake audience reactions set way too loud.  It's easy to miss some of the questions/answers as they override the speaking with the audience noise.

I'm surprised they got Taye Diggs for this.  I know he's not A-list but I would say he's a solid B-list celebrity and this show is way beneath him.  Maybe he's been lonely since the divorce...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought Nolan Gould was delightful but couldn't believe the contestants couldn't guess him after Michael Bolton's song!!! 

Honestly even though I watched every episode of Modern Family I would never be able to call him out by name. I would at least be able to say Luke. 

I'm still disappointed by the lack of puns or witty word play from the contestants when they figure it out. 

• Love 2