Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: The Beginning

• Start Topic

(edited)

Very disjointed. 

Hated that Morgan was all happy to have that baby...the way he got her with her mom going out so brutally. Speaking of, why was she so fixated on replacing tire? Why not set out on foot or just drive it with a busted tire?

Still don't get Dakota and her purpose. But glad she got fried. She killed John Dorie.

Strand's rather demented speech, um no thanks. Was hoping that guy would whip out a gun and shoot him right in his big fat mouth. What a total piece of crap he is.

End of the world is coming and painter guy stops to take the time to spray paint some words.

The helicopter with robot like military person. Yeah, whatever. And where was the photographer chic, what's her name (Al?)? Was she the helicopter robot? And did she find her love interest chic?

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 7

This is a depressing storyline. I don’t want to watch a season of people stuck in a storm shelter or people dying of radiation poisoning. How would Morgan, Grace and baby survive by hiding under a truck? They were still breathing in all the dust. At the end, the bundle looked newborn size where the earlier baby seemed almost a toddler. How will they feed the baby?

Happy that Dakota is gone and Strand always has good speeches but we have heard variations of this same one so it didn’t have the same impact. 

• Love 6

Finally. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the end of a child. Too bad she had to take out batshit scenery chewing John Glover before she went.

These last couple of episodes (and much of the season when the show remembered to circle back to him) have sort of felt like a setup for Strand realizing that he's a villain and not part of the good guy crew that just wants to help everybody. His initial fakeout in telling Howard that he was good guy Morgan and then switching it out after he realized he survived the bomb drop was a big flashing sign that while he'd like people to think he's the good guy and get credit for it, he knows he's really not. I'll be curious to see where they go with that next season.

Hi, Omid Abtahi. Your character is life goals for what I'd be doing if I somehow survived into the apocalypse instead of fighting for territory or starting death cults. I too would be looting all the cool stuff I could get to and holing up with books and art someplace with some scenery and letting other people worry about fighting it out.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, GustavMahler said:

So, have we brought together a storyline which might tie Walking and Fear together with the helicopter being the rope? 

It's seems like the 3 shows are going to be tied together and come to a satisfying, logical conclusion. 

LOL!!! Just kidding!! It's gonna suck and make no sense!! 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Okay, forgive me for asking, and yes I missed a show or two a few episodes back. Who was the woman with the baby? Was she the one at the dam when Morgan moved in? And who was the Daddy?  And, lastly but most importantly, was the dog last night the same one we saw with Morgan a few episodes back? 

And we all heard Grace when she said no matter where they go, no matter how well they take cover, they will all get radiation sickness?  So …… what’s the plan, Stan?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

This is a depressing storyline. I don’t want to watch a season of people stuck in a storm shelter or people dying of radiation poisoning. How would Morgan, Grace and baby survive by hiding under a truck? They were still breathing in all the dust. At the end, the bundle looked newborn size where the earlier baby seemed almost a toddler. How will they feed the baby?

Happy that Dakota is gone and Strand always has good speeches but we have heard variations of this same one so it didn’t have the same impact. 

I didn't see it as depressing, the overall message is that the community we see in Grace's  dream is possible. The children signify hope for the future, the death of Athena was the death of hope, after this the crazy gang have the key to launch the missiles and destroy everything. They don't succeed though, in the penultimate episode there's a significant glance by Riley to the joystick of the control console in the sub. possibly he had to guide in the missiles to their target and Strand and Morgan's intervention prevents this, we see that at least one of the warheads appears to explode out at sea, which surely wasn't Teddy's intention.

Grace and Morgan have abandoned hope and intend to kill themselves but are stopped by the appearance of the magic dog with a baby in tow, literally. So the child gives Morgan and Grace renewed hope, although it's not such a cool outcome for the child's mother, pro tip, if you're in the apocalypse trying to outrun a nuclear war head, maybe just drive on the flat tyre?

Dwight and Sherry also reach a positive outcome, even though they do manage to kill another horse in the process, sorry horsey, no room in the storm cellar for you. Sherry realises that she needs to concentrate on the present rather than agonising about what happened in the past and seeking revenge or closure, and in doing so they meet some people at the house who are decent (and they have a kid, because, you know etc) The homesteaders are the archetypal good people who beckon Dwight and Sherry to the storm cellar rather than shut them out and say so long suckers, good people still exist, which again is a sign ther is hope for the future.

The stuff with Strand is linked to Dakota and her obsession with being her true self, ie a murderous little shit. She tells Strand that he needs to be his true self rather than pretend to be the good person Morgan and the others want him to be, and Strand sees his survival as vindication for this, Strand and Dakota aren't really evil or bad, they're just amoral, Strand is someone who is prepared to make pragmatic choices in order to facilitate his own survival and advancement, but Strand isn't a sociopath like Dakota who kills without compunction, he feels the weight of what he's done, but he's prepared to do it anyway, this ties the key TWD theme of how people reconcile the things they've done by necessity to survive with their desire to view themselves as good people.

11 hours ago, Lamima said:

End of the world is coming and painter guy stops to take the time to spray paint some words.

Well TBF it was the central message of the plot, Teddy has failed, this isn't the end of Morgan's vision for a future society, but we need to spell it out, literally, in case the viewers haven't realised.

11 hours ago, Lamima said:

The helicopter with robot like military person. Yeah, whatever. And where was the photographer chic, what's her name? Was she the helicopter robot?

The helicopter is sent by Al, who is on the radio, and who presumably sent the coordinates to Daniel. This means Al has made contact with the CRM, it also looks like Daniel's possible dementia was a fake out. Al tells them via the walkie not to ask the pilot any questions, and says they will be dropped off at a place of safety rather than taken as prisoners of the CRM. It's possible the pilot is Al's girlfriend, and is acting on her own initiative rather than orders from the CRM.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

I can’t see how any sort of happy ending is possible since we saw Dakota incinerate and we clearly saw the mushroom cloud. All food and water would be tainted and whatever is stored in the storm cellar won’t last forever. I don’t even understand how they can keep a baby alive because a baby can’t digest regular rations. Of course the entire show is a fantasy and they can do what they want. If they meant for Morgan and Grace to be fine,IMO, they needed to be much further away from the blast.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, GustavMahler said:

So, have we brought together a storyline which might tie Walking and Fear together with the helicopter being the rope? 

The CRM is essentially a plot device that facilitates the possibility of the Rick movies, which are definitely going to happen and totally not pie in the sky fanwank, The CRM serves no other purpose as it's a duplicate of The Commonwealth, it's just a Deus Ex Machina that allowed Andrew Lincoln to leave the show without the character being killed off, thus paving the way for the show runners to churn out more old rope, sorry, i mean more exciting content from the TWD universe.

the main obstacle to a fear TWD cross over is the disparate timelines, one theory we discussed on the spoiler thread was that the nuclear explosion would force the characters into the bunker for 7 at which point they might emerge and toddle off to Georgia for a final season cross over with the main show. this assumes that a cross over is the main goal here, 

A lot depends on whether they still intend to make the rick movie(s). I don't think it's a given that these will still happen, but let's say that the intention is to at least try and make them, then the CRM storyline is central to this. TWD are expanding the commonwealth storyline now so i can't see them doing more with the CRM given that they are very similar organisations. So do they need fear to further expand the CRM storyline,?

TWD will play out much as it does in the comic, so any expansion on the CRM story line and lead into any possible spin offs with Rick and Michonne will need to play out in Fear or World Beyond

29 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I can’t see how any sort of happy ending is possible since we saw Dakota incinerate and we clearly saw the mushroom cloud. All food and water would be tainted and whatever is stored in the storm cellar won’t last forever. I don’t even understand how they can keep a baby alive because a baby can’t digest regular rations. Of course the entire show is a fantasy and they can do what they want. If they meant for Morgan and Grace to be fine,IMO, they needed to be much further away from the blast.

I know a guy who was an academic whose speciality was connected to nuclear war and he'd done disaster contingencies for a nuclear attack on London, you'd be surprised how many people would survive. When the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, 93% of people within 1000m of the blast were killed, but 7% survived. this article explains:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-to-survive-nuclear-war

Short version, if you can avoid the blast and shelter from the first 24hrs of fallout, you'll be ok. Grace and Morgan just need to go back inside the sub and shelter for a few days.

Edited by BasilSeal
  • Useful 2
53 minutes ago, BasilSeal said:

I didn't see it as depressing, the overall message is that the community we see in Grace's  dream is possible. The children signify hope for the future, the death of Athena was the death of hope, after this the crazy gang have the key to launch the missiles and destroy everything. They don't succeed though, in the penultimate episode there's a significant glance by Riley to the joystick of the control console in the sub. possibly he had to guide in the missiles to their target and Strand and Morgan's intervention prevents this, we see that at least one of the warheads appears to explode out at sea, which surely wasn't Teddy's intention.

Grace and Morgan have abandoned hope and intend to kill themselves but are stopped by the appearance of the magic dog with a baby in tow, literally. So the child gives Morgan and Grace renewed hope, although it's not such a cool outcome for the child's mother, pro tip, if you're in the apocalypse trying to outrun a nuclear war head, maybe just drive on the flat tyre?

Dwight and Sherry also reach a positive outcome, even though they do manage to kill another horse in the process, sorry horsey, no room in the storm cellar for you. Sherry realises that she needs to concentrate on the present rather than agonising about what happened in the past and seeking revenge or closure, and in doing so they meet some people at the house who are decent (and they have a kid, because, you know etc) The homesteaders are the archetypal good people who beckon Dwight and Sherry to the storm cellar rather than shut them out and say so long suckers, good people still exist, which again is a sign ther is hope for the future.

The stuff with Strand is linked to Dakota and her obsession with being her true self, ie a murderous little shit. She tells Strand that he needs to be his true self rather than pretend to be the good person Morgan and the others want him to be, and Strand sees his survival as vindication for this, Strand and Dakota aren't really evil or bad, they're just amoral, Strand is someone who is prepared to make pragmatic choices in order to facilitate his own survival and advancement, but Strand isn't a sociopath like Dakota who kills without compunction, he feels the weight of what he's done, but he's prepared to do it anyway, this ties the key TWD theme of how people reconcile the things they've done by necessity to survive with their desire to view themselves as good people.

Well TBF it was the central message of the plot, Teddy has failed, this isn't the end of Morgan's vision for a future society, but we need to spell it out, literally, in case the viewers haven't realised.

The helicopter is sent by Al, who is on the radio, and who presumably sent the coordinates to Daniel. This means Al has made contact with the CRM, it also looks like Daniel's possible dementia was a fake out. Al tells them via the walkie not to ask the pilot any questions, and says they will be dropped off at a place of safety rather than taken as prisoners of the CRM. It's possible the pilot is Al's girlfriend, and is acting on her own initiative rather than orders from the CRM.

I think Strand IS evil and bad. Not crazy like Dakota (who was sociopath or psycho) but just plain evil. That speech of his at the end. Pure evil.

• Love 4

I just realized the shows tying more and more together with the magical helicopter showing up just in the nick of time is going to box me in to finally having to watch World Beyond, isn't it?

My hunch is that the fallout will be about as relevant or not as it needs to be for plot reasons at any given point.

1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

I just realized the shows tying more and more together with the magical helicopter showing up just in the nick of time is going to box me in to finally having to watch World Beyond, isn't it?

My hunch is that the fallout will be about as relevant or not as it needs to be for plot reasons at any given point.

Without going into World Beyond spoilers, they're giving it out in dribs and drabs, which I suppose is a smart way to get you to watch. You could probably read the wikipedia summaries and get the same info. 

(edited)

The opening with the lady killing herself so that her baby could live - but now that baby will never know her mother was very sad. 😭

Thank god the dog 🐕 (apparently) survived, though. That's a rarity for a franchise that seems to delight in killing off owls, horses, dogs, and other critters.
(But where is Skidmark the cat?? 😺 I hope he or she is OK.)

Even if you're not killed directly by any of the war head's blasts, I don't know how you survive the resultant radiation.

I did read an interview with the show writers, who said they researched the hell out of the topic and said it is possible to survive it - so, okay, whatever.

I take it that when season 7 returns, that the Dwight and Victor Strand characters will be more ruthless? They both seem headed in that direction.

I can see Victor being more of a villain type guy after that self-justifying speech he gave to that hipster historian dude. Or at least remaining an anti-hero type guy who no longer lets his conscience totally bother him if he trips another person to escape a zombie horde (brings back memories of Shane and Otis from the original show!)

So... June and John Dorie Sr. chose to forgive that little sociopath, Dakota.

But Dakota was turned into ash by the bomb.

At least we don't have to see another dragged out story arc over next season about "should the other characters forgive the weasel," or, "the weasel develops a conscious and has to learn to forgive herself for past sins and move on" stuff. They've already hashed that out with other characters on this show and the other Walking Dead shows.

I had to read an article or interview or two today with the show writers to make sense of some of the plot points. To confess, I sometimes don't pay 100% close attention to this show when it's on - I do pop in and out to grab sodas or whatever during commercial breaks (I watch on cable). By the time I come back in, I've missed dialog.

Even when I pay full attention, though, I don't think the show does a good job of explaining or making plain certain details, so I am left wondering how one character knew another one was a traitor, etc. I have to go online the following day and read recaps.

I am kind of surprised that Dakota shot and killed Teddy - or maybe just sort of bummed out by it if not wholly surprised, because while I usually get tired of the "Group A fights Group B" dynamics these Walking Dead shows always run with, I did find Teddy and/or his cult antagonists interesting.

They were (IMO) worth keeping around a bit longer.

I, too, was sort of taken aback by the guy who, as nuclear bombs are raining down, took the time to run over and spray paint graffiti on the street and on the zombified John Conner.
That's maybe not how I'd chose to use my last minutes on earth, if I thought I was going to die any minute.

The show has not given Luciana or Trucker Lady or her Trucker brother Wendell much to do this past season. 

Oh, hey, I think the baby mama who had a mishap changing her car tire was wearing a skirt

One of my smaller pet peeves with these shows is most of the time, they dress 99% of their zombies in jeans and long sleeve flannel shirts (these were all Nirvana fans, I guess! LOL!).

So it was nice to see at least one zombie in a skirt.

But I bet they put her in a skirt to better show off her leg injury - after the tire mishap, they showed the bones sticking out of her shin (ewww!).
That would've perhaps been a bit more difficult to show if she had been wearing slacks or jeans.

They will be back for a Season 7, I read in an article or two about the show.

Don't know what I'm going to fill my Sunday nights with now, maybe that new "Keven Can F Himself" show that will be running in place of "Fear." 
I've always found it a little odd or difficult to find something else to do Sunday evenings when one of these zombie shows stops airing at the end of a season. 

Any way, I mostly found the season 6 finale to be a fairly entertaining episode. It wasn't mind-blowing, great entertainment, but it was okay, IMO.

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Without going into World Beyond spoilers, they're giving it out in dribs and drabs, which I suppose is a smart way to get you to watch.

At this point, why though?  WB is only a two season show and the first season is already finished (and it was bad).

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

At this point, why though?  WB is only a two season show and the first season is already finished (and it was bad).

Why what, exactly? Watch World Beyond? I don't have a good answer for that. 

• LOL 2
25 minutes ago, DrNowsWeightScale said:

Even if you're not killed directly by any of the war head's blasts, I don't know how you survive the resultant radiation.

I did put a link in my previous post that answers this question, but the simple answer is that if one avoids the immediate blast and the initial fallout, then it would be survivable, even exposure to the fallout would mean an early death in 10 or 20 years time from cancer rather than short term radiation sickness. the zombie apocalypse is likely to get you before the effects of fallout do.

1 minute ago, Cryonix said:

How is Alicia supposed to get out of that room Teddy locked her in, there was no mention of her at all in this episode.

I guess they know she's there. so they can go and get her after the fallout has subsided.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Lamima said:

I think Strand IS evil and bad. Not crazy like Dakota (who was sociopath or psycho) but just plain evil. That speech of his at the end. Pure evil.

I think one of the points TWD in general is at least trying to make is that everyone is capable of this sort of thing in a world like the TWD universe. (the reappearance of Cole and the so called 'good people' from the stadium and their new career as murderous thieves is intended to illustrate this point i think) Though it's significant the characters like Strand and Daniel had chosen this path before the apocalypse happened.

All the characters have done shitty things out of necessity in order to survive, and the show attempts to explore how the character deal with having done these things and come to terms with what they've done. Some of them are trying to be decent and help people, Strand has tried this to, but now he's just decided to roll with it, and accept that that's who he is and it's simply what needs to be done.

His final speech boils down to him saying that he can rebuild civilisation with art and literature via the medium of being a colossal twat, but he's ok with that now.

• Useful 1
57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I Think Morgan's commentary over the walkie talkie was more harmful than helpful.  Kind of like yelling fire in a crowded theatre, it isn't likely to end well for those who tend to panic.  Plus he had a case of the can't shut ups, which is something I have always hated about Morgan, the self-righteous douche

In this case the theatre actually is on fire though. When you've just had an intercontinental ballistic missile launched at your arse, someone telling you to take cover, and if you can't do that then at least go out on your own terms sounds like useful advice to me. It can hardly make things worse at this point anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I Think Morgan's commentary over the walkie talkie was more harmful than helpful.  Kind of like yelling fire in a crowded theatre, it isn't likely to end well for those who tend to panic.  Plus he had a case of the can't shut ups, which is something I have always hated about Morgan, the self-righteous douche.

Grace was even worse.  She was such a Debbie Downer through the end of the episode, I was hoping that Morgan would have put her down.

NCIS: New Orleans was cancelled, so I think it is more likely we will see "Wendell" when FTWD comes back.

Is the dog still alive?  I don't recall seeing the dog after the affects of the explosion reached the submarine area.  Yeah, he jumped into the car, but what happened to the car?

The cat wasn't with Daniel, I hope he is with Wendell.

That whole scene with the little psycho (Dakota) was just too ridiculous to watch.  Father Dorie should have put a bullet in her head, and John's wife should have killed the cult leader.  I didn't need to hear anymore of Dakota's bab it bling bullshit.

I think Morgan gave the announcement only once (it sounded exactly the same each time), but it was repeated each time we saw the separated groups hear it for the first time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

That whole scene with the little psycho (Dakota) was just too ridiculous to watch.  Father Dorie should have put a bullet in her head, and John's wife should have killed the cult leader.  I didn't need to hear anymore of Dakota's babbling bullshit.

When Father Dorie and June ducked down into the shelter, it looked to me like they could have grabbed Dakota if they wanted to save her.  Maybe they didn't want to kill her and have that on their conscience, so they just let her get nuked.   Then again, maybe I misunderstood the scene.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Nothing will make me watch World Beyond... nothing! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is the dog still alive?  I don't recall seeing the dog after the affects of the explosion reached the submarine area.  Yeah, he jumped into the car, but what happened to the car?

I'm not for sure - but I assumed since they went through the trouble of filming a bit showing the dog running and hopping into the back of a car that meant the dog would be OK.

Quote by Crash Course:

When Father Dorie and June ducked down into the shelter, it looked to me like they could have grabbed Dakota if they wanted to save her.  Maybe they didn't want to kill her and have that on their conscience, so they just let her get nuked.   Then again, maybe I misunderstood the scene.   

I think they let Dakota be because she gave a little speech about how she wanted to stay true to herself and wanted to see the end of the world and all that
- I can't recall if she gave that speech before or after June and John Sr. went down the ladder, though.
But if she was saying that prior, I'd take it the adults were respecting her wishes.

This reminds me of something else I wanted to say about Dakota....

I like the actress that plays her - I think she did a great job - but the character is really odd.

I take it that the character is supposed to be around age 12 or 14 or so?

Okay, but the character is written as though the show writers originally intended her to be 32 or 37 years old!
The character just seems so much older than what she is on the show (a teen or pre-teen).

It's as though the folks behind this show wrote the character to be a 35 or 40 year old, but they couldn't get an actress of that age fast enough, so they took the first 14 year old who showed up to audition. 

Dakota's angst and pontificating about her place in the world, her identity, etc., seemed a bit beyond her years, or a bit like a 40-something's mid-life crisis.

That was one thing about her character that rubbed me the wrong way...
other than the fact that she killed one of my all time favorite fictional characters (RIP, John Dorie Jr.)

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, DrNowsWeightScale said:

Okay, but the character is written as though the show writers originally intended her to be 32 or 37 years old!
The character just seems so much older than what she is on the show (a teen or pre-teen).

You are right, it did seem she was written as older, which made Teddy basically pawing at her, and using creative double speak all the more creepier since she actually was not. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DrNowsWeightScale said:

I think they let Dakota be because she gave a little speech about how she wanted to stay true to herself and wanted to see the end of the world and all that
- I can't recall if she gave that speech before or after June and John Sr. went down the ladder, though.
But if she was saying that prior, I'd take it the adults were respecting her wishes.

Ok, I probably wasn't paying attention to her speech.  I thought it was hilarious that June and John Sr. basically said "ok byeeee!!" and left her standing there while they ducked down into the shelter.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So I had no idea who the woman with the baby was who opened the show. No clue, until she zombied her way to Morgan and Grace, and then I was like, oh, THAT'S who she is (was). I enjoyed (sarcasm) Strand calling himself Morgan Jones and pretending to be the hero until after the bomb dropped and then revealing dramatically to Howard that, no, he wasn't Morgan Jones the Hero after all. Howard has never heard of Morgan Jones the Hero so do you really think he gives a shit? Although he needs to start worrying because, if I recall correctly, everyone who lives or works with Strand dies, so...watch out, Howard! I thought Wendell was dead. Like, a long time ago dead. I guess I'm wrong. How many people can a low-on-gas helicopter carry and why didn't it get blasted into ash from the explosion? That chopper sure has thick plot-armor. And, yeah, we know where the dog is but where is Skidroad...or Skidmark...or Skidmore the cat?

• Love 4

I am a little underwhelmed with the depiction of nuclear explosion in this episode. The Ohio-class submarines carry Trident II missiles which warheads have 100 kT TNT blast yield, or more. As a comparison, Little Boy, the bomb that was dropped in Hiroshima had 15 kT TNT blast yield. So there they were, with the bomb that was potentially 5 times as powerful as the one that ended WWII, and Victor just watched the blast from behind glass windows of a high-rise apartment. Morgan and Grace just sheltered under a car in the open. Dwight and Sherry were just behind a sheet metal door with wood frames.

• Love 2

This episode just put the final nail in the coffin of I'm done with this show. I think this whole nuke plot they're going to carry into next season is stupid. And this episode should've been in 2 parts, instead of that Dream episode or the Mother episode they should've bumped the one before this up and made this one longer because it was rushed and disjointed. Now June's a sharp shooter and I'm pissed that she and JD forgave that little bitch that killed John, even though she got it in the end that still pissed me off. And how did Morgan hear that baby cry over the intercoms in the sub? The helicopter didn't get blasted out of the sky, the plate glass windows didn't shatter when a medium sized earthquake will shatter windows. You can hide under a truck and be okay or a root cellar with broken doors. The ground will be contaminated now, no food or water. I guess they will meet up with Alicia in her bunker that's supposed to be well stocked but then what?

• Love 2

Rewatched this one early this morning with the husband, who bailed on the series awhile ago. He plays a lot of Fallout and was mildly intrigued that they're basically resetting the series again as Walking Dead: Fallout edition, so I got him for at least an episode or two.

It's still no less crazy than it was, true enough. But this time while still annoyed that June and John Dorie Sr. let little sister daughter psychopath ramble on as the clock ticked down and made a point of forgiving her when she never showed the slightest remorse, I could only snort at their "well, good luck with that then" reactions to her wanting to stay to the end and appreciate them not trying to forcibly drag her down into the bunker so she could live on.

Yeah, it's stupid that the black helicopter wasn't at all affected flying through a bomb drop, but damnit, I'm still susceptible to the longest tease in television history with its appearance just in the nick of time. I'm not at all proud of it, but I still want to know what the deal is there.

Poor Howard. He'd found a way to ride out the apocalypse in relative peace and comfort and now he's going to be riding shotgun to the rise of a supervillain.