Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

The Baking Topic

10 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

These take like a minute to make if you just roll them into a log versus rolling them out.  I slice them and freeze the slices, then bake them off throughout December as needed.  A little unique but very in line spice wise with Christmas.

https://www.saveur.com/honey-spice-hazelnut-christmas-cookies-recipe/

I am definitely making these next week....thanks!

I don’t bake yeast breads all that often, but I tried a couple of new-to-me things the past couple of weeks, and they turned out great. First khachapuri (Georgian cheese bread both stuffed and topped with a mix of feta and mozzarella) from the cookbook Supra, and then English muffins from this King Arthur Flour recipe, but using part whole wheat flour.

91FB8BBB-7C16-4333-A5EE-1D4CA6A20C16.jpeg

2AE11087-3AC0-414D-BD43-C6C3C403FA8B.jpeg

415DE48E-5BD2-48C2-A317-76FAA14C6C15.jpeg

• Like 15

I heard that baking is really big right now (for obvious reasons). I checked and the pound of yeast I paid 7 dollars for a couple of months ago is now is now seventeen bucks on Amazon.

I think I'll try bagels next. The ones at my local supermarket were tolerable, but with the pandemic, they have stopped making loose baked goods like donuts and bagels. So I don't even have that.

• Like 1

I've been baking soda bread lately.  I'm kind of impatient so waiting for dough to rise just isn't for me.  I found a recipe online which calls for just self-raising flour and kefir (in a 2:1 ratio) and takes about two hours from start to finish.  I've toyed with the original recipe, making my own self-raising flour with different types of grains.  So far, I've done quinoa and spelt (quinoa flour is really overpowering.  The bread was very...quinoa-y) as well as Kamut and whole wheat.  I've posted pictures on my social media and I think some of my family members (particularly those who live in Asia) find me a little...odd (at least two of my cousins would probably say "gum ging -ahhhh!!"  (translation "wow!!!  AMAZING!" (but it comes out sounding a bit sarcastic.  Cultural differences?  I don't know).

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 5

I'm actually trying not to bake much to conserve ingredients; but at the same time I'm looking for ways to use up some of the older, random stuff I've accumulated.  My go-to is cookies, but 2/3rds of my household either can't eat or don't like (processed) sweets. So I can make stuff but I kind of don't want to since I'll mostly be the only one eating it. sigh.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:36 PM, caitmcg said:

I don’t bake yeast breads all that often, but I tried a couple of new-to-me things the past couple of weeks, and they turned out great. First khachapuri (Georgian cheese bread both stuffed and topped with a mix of feta and mozzarella) from the cookbook Supra, and then English muffins from this King Arthur Flour recipe, but using part whole wheat flour.

91FB8BBB-7C16-4333-A5EE-1D4CA6A20C16.jpeg

2AE11087-3AC0-414D-BD43-C6C3C403FA8B.jpeg

415DE48E-5BD2-48C2-A317-76FAA14C6C15.jpeg

I’ve made English muffins twice more since, using the same recipe and 239g whole-wheat flour/300g bread flour. They’ve been very popular with friends and family. They’re very satisfying to make and better than store-bought, so I’ll likely never buy English muffins again!

• Like 3

It's my birthday soon, but all the pastry shops are closed and I can’t order a cake. Have to bake myself, I never did that. I'm afraid to burn everything

2 hours ago, SheriGoddart33 said:

It's my birthday soon, but all the pastry shops are closed and I can’t order a cake. Have to bake myself, I never did that. I'm afraid to burn everything

If you like chocolate this is dead simple.

5 hours ago, SheriGoddart33 said:

In times like these, I ask myself, 'what would Martha do?' A couple of vanilla options:

Simple Layer Cake with Vanilla Frosting,

or if you have a loaf pan: Vanilla Pound Cake.

• Like 1

Almost every grocery store has a bakery. They have already made cakes and I suspect you can still order them.

• Useful 1

I'm back on my diet as of tomorrow (or maybe Saturday) I swear, but I wanted something sweet to finish out the week.  I picked up a Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Bar mix at the store (I love anything lemon), but decided to save it for another time (probably for when everybody gets back to work and feels safe eating a co-workers baked goods).  I realized I had the ingredients for a homemade peach cobbler (except I had to substitute half and half for the milk in the recipe) and I just took it out of the oven.  The house smells like peaches and nutmeg.  I plan to have a serving (or two) as soon as it cools off enough so I can eat some without burning my mouth. Yum!  

• Like 8

14 hours ago, SheriGoddart33 said:

It'll be OK, even if you have to stick a candle in a pre made cupcake or a Ding Dong.  Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Does molasses go bad?  I have a jar in my cupboard that I can’t find on expiration date on and cannot remember buying.  (It is half empty, so I used it for something.) I also have no idea what it is supposed to taste like, so I can’t tell if it has gone funky.  But, I did just run across an interesting cookie recipe that calls for molasses, so if it is safe to use, I have a plan.

I can't remember a jar or container of molasses ever going bad on me. I think the current one was purchased at least eight years ago, and it still seems good.

Here's a more authoritative opinion.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 11:06 PM, Mittengirl said:

Does molasses go bad?  I have a jar in my cupboard that I can’t find on expiration date on and cannot remember buying.  (It is half empty, so I used it for something.) I also have no idea what it is supposed to taste like, so I can’t tell if it has gone funky.  But, I did just run across an interesting cookie recipe that calls for molasses, so if it is safe to use, I have a plan.

If there's no mold, I say go for it. I found an old bottle of molasses that had been forgotten in the back of the cupboard, other than being super stiff, it was fine. Just had the warm it up so I could actually pour it!

• Like 1

Well, I made cookies with my old molasses on Saturday and I am still alive.

• Like 9

On 5/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, Mittengirl said:

Well, I made cookies with my old molasses on Saturday and I am still alive.

Recipe, please, if you wouldn't mind. I have "molasses amnesia"--I can't remember buying it and keep buying more, so now I have two open jars plus one of dark corn syrup.

GreekGeek, I already deleted the recipe from my iPad.  It was for an oatmeal-raisin spice cookie that just wasn’t very good.  Not bad, but nothing special, either..  I think I will try some hermit bars next.  I want to use up the molasses before I forget about it again.

After reading rave reviews of Bobby Flay's chocolate chip cookies, I made some. He recommends letting the dough sit in the fridge for 1 to 3 days. They are very good.

I haven't made cookies in years, but staying at home prompted me to make some use of my time.

Bobby Flay Chocolate Chip Cookies

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 2