Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Day One, Take Two

• Start Topic

What I'm realizing is that representation matters to the degree that I finally understand why certain shows I never understood the appeal of ... were just not working for me because of how unilaterally heteronormative they were. I like this show even when it's predictable, because of the representation. And I'm thinking now that people who like all those shows that seemed so pointless to me were doing for them whatever this show is doing for me. Using the same beats, but different norms, somehow makes a difference. 

• Love 5

I feel sorry for all of the kids here. Victor's father is at least trying and understands that he has to get around to keep the relationship with his son. But his mother is useless - not unrealistic, but I feel sorry for Victor. Felix's mother is completely useless and he has to be the adult at home, which he really shouldn't have to be at his age. Mia's father is useless too, he spends the whole summer without her, invites her to his thing to apparently connect with her and then cannot even bother to listen to her. Does he not realise that she will stop wanting to talk to him eventually if he keeps this up? Altogether it looks like they are all far more mature then their parents, but I wonder how long they can keep holding up.

• Love 3

I’m not sure about the vibe between Pilar and Felix, I really like Felix and Lake and I don’t think we need that extra drama. So many parenting fails this episode, at least Victors dad is trying so he wins the parenting award for the episode. 

• Love 3

I dont like how his mom said she doesn't want to air their "dirty laundry". It does suck that these teenagers are being more mature than their parents. It wasn't like that in my cesspool of a high school. Also I just feel so bad for Felix. So young to have to worry about his mom like that and it's depressing to think that's always going to be his life. 

• Love 4

Watched this last night - about half way through I must have been looking super angry because my teen said - what's wrong with you, it's just a TV show.   The mom was terrible - she better get it together soon before she doesn't have a real relationship with her son.

• Love 1

Poor Felix- there’s no other adult in his life that can help him? His Mom is sick but he needs to be cared for.

Instead of punching the dude, Victor should’ve been honest. If he didn’t want to come out he could’ve just said that Mia didn’t cheat. I think he should’ve been punished for fighting (like grounded for a week or something).

Ummmm how did Benji’s dad get a MINOR into a strip club???

On 6/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, possibilities said:

What I'm realizing is that representation matters to the degree that I finally understand why certain shows I never understood the appeal of ... were just not working for me because of how unilaterally heteronormative they were. I like this show even when it's predictable, because of the representation. And I'm thinking now that people who like all those shows that seemed so pointless to me were doing for them whatever this show is doing for me. Using the same beats, but different norms, somehow makes a difference. 

I love the representation on this show. We have a black single dad, people of color in lead roles, inter-racial couples, various religions represented. It’s great. 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, meligator said:

Watched this last night - about half way through I must have been looking super angry because my teen said - what's wrong with you, it's just a TV show.   The mom was terrible - she better get it together soon before she doesn't have a real relationship with her son.

I agree. I wonder if it would be easier for her Pilar was gay. With gender roles and expectations she might not think Pilar being gay would change their relationship as mother/daughter. Is she upset because they were so close and she didn’t suspect? Is she upset because now her son is “different” than she is? I dunno.