Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Tonight is classic late summer early fall Friday night.  Fresh corn on the cob, hot dogs on the grill, tomato and cucumber salad.

Last night was pizza on the grill. (Unlike my last pizza night post, this one required some minimal effort.)  I cut a store bought pizza dough into three pieces. Rolled/stretched it out into three rectangles. A little sauce and some mozzarella on two of them with dots of pesto for flavor. (The pesto is an amazing addition. Just a couple drops here and there and the entire pizza is perfumed with the basil/cheese/oil flavors.) The third one was mine, and that got fresh tomato rather than sauce.

• Love 3

Just got back from camping, so have a few dinner's worth to post!

Night One: I picked up some delicious roasted garlic bread from Costco (very fresh, it was warm when I bought it) so we had that with olive oil/fig balsamic vinegar, gruyere cheese, an extra sharp aged white cheddar, and then some green salad.

Night Two: Grilled cheese with the leftover bread and cheese. 

Night Three: Veggie burgers, yum! We've found one from Costco that we love that's quinoa based, rather than soy. 

And of course, the requisite s'mores every night/afternoon. I definitely had too many, but it's camping! We tried a new thing with the s'mores. Instead of graham crackers I bought some Newtons Fruit Thins (cherry and vanilla flavour) which tastes like a graham cracker cookie. They worked extremely well and were delicious. 

• Love 3

Today my family meets my brother's family at a halfway point to drop off my dad for the remainder of his trip.  Halfway is The Bass Pro Shop and they have a great restaurant there.  Every so often, I like a juicy hamburger and there I can get one almost guilt free because they serve buffalo burgers.  Yum.... :)

• Love 4

We were planning on leftovers for Friday night, but changed plans. On his way home from playing golf Friday evening, Mr. LB was stopping at this bakery that makes great bread and rolls. It's also a deli/cafe, so he decided to pick up some sandwiches for dinner. He had a Philly cheese steak sandwich and I had an Italian sandwich on their ciabatta roll. We also split a cold antipasto salad.

So, tonight he cleaned out the fridge and had leftovers, as did the kid. I wasn't too hungry so I had some Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread (the one without raisins) and iced coffee.

Planning on salmon tomorrow, and London broil on Monday.

• Love 2

Tonight was a nobody-knows-what-to-cook-night-so-just-make-something night. It ended up being Farmhouse Broccoli au Gratin Rice mix and Alexia French Fries. We're also baking cakes tonight for a party tomorrow. 

• Love 1

A neighbor had brought over some homemade dumplings earlier today, so for dinner I steamed those and made some kung pao chicken and a Napa cabbage-based salad with soy-ginger dressing.  It really should have been enough for dinner and a later lunch, but I ate the whole thing.  No regrets.

• Love 2

WendyCR72, you're welcome. Definitely give them a try if you can find them. I love all their sweet potato fries, the Yukon gold fries, and the oven reds. The house cut fries and waffle fries are good too. Also, the onion rings.

BJ's Wholesale carries large bags of the onion rings and one or two of the fries.

Bastet, that sounds delicious!

Not big on onion rings but if I can find the fries, LuckyBitch, I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks, again!

Definitely! I love the seasoned waffle cut fries and I also like their oven reds with olive oil/rosemary/garlic. Tonight we had just the regular House Cut fries. 

• Love 2

Last night I made Coconut Curry Chicken Skewers, Gujerati style green beans, and basmati rice.   Tonight, to celebrate the end of summer, it's grilled steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, tomato salad and for dessert blueberry coffeecake. 

• Love 2

Also doing steak, corn and tomatoes (with mozz and cucumber) tonight.  Last night was clam pizza, one of my favorite things in this world.

Those Alexia fries look delicious.  We just dug up the last of our potatoes, so it will be a while until I get the chance to try them (Alexia), though. The upside being that a couple of taters that the hub nicked with the pitchfork needed to be used quickly, so we enjoyed delicious hash browns for breakfast. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

I'm having oven fried chicken thighs that were marinated in buttermilk with a panko crust. To go with it, I made Martha Stewart's recipe for a tomato-potato-zucchini gratin (needed to use up some farmer's market produce.) I didn't have access to the type of cheese she recommended, so I used parmesan. I also tried out Aarti Sequera's blackberry-ginger clafouti. The recipe calls for a whisper of garam masala. I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

• Love 3

I'm making mushroom onion deep dish pizza.  I usually grill pizza, but I decided to try something different.   It's in the oven now, I'm hoping it comes out alright.  It looked good the last time I peeked in.  

• Love 4

I'm making mushroom onion deep dish pizza.  I usually grill pizza, but I decided to try something different.   It's in the oven now, I'm hoping it comes out alright.  It looked good the last time I peeked in.  

If that works out, can you share the recipe?

• Love 2

Tonight:  Turkey burgers with avocado, corn-on-the-cob, potato salad, green salad.  For dessert:  chocolate cake with chocolate gelato.  It was supposed to be a picnic, but the flies and gnats are too much of a nuisance.  So . . . indoor picnic?

• Love 1

OMG, I haven't had an obvious carb in six months, that looks so good I would LITERALLY (and I mean that as I wrote it) drive to your house tonight for a slice of that if I knew where you live. Yum!

You're my hero. I do it for 2 weeks and want to hit a brick wall with my fist. I have so much respect for you. I really do.

Well guys I'm going to keep it honest. A diet pill and a few Coors light.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 4

This made me smile. My kiddos were gone for a couple of days so I've been doing a potato hack. I'm so sick of potatoes now. I generally eat one meal & one snack a day but it's hard to eat a snack when it's more potatoes. Tonight the kids have dinner with their dad so I'm thinking of going crazy & frying a couple of eggs in butter.

Way back when I lived by myself, breakfast used to be a handful of Fritos; dinner was a handful of Fritos and a beer.  And I was stick-thin!  Good times.....thanks for spurring the memory. 

Last night the hub made this incredible pork belly thing with homemade applesauce and a potato mash thing; and today we are paying the price, because it was super-super-rich.   I don't exactly regret eating it (because cracklins! and each bite was heavenly), but I think today's going to be a cottage cheese day. 

• Love 3

I made tilapia po'boys (the recipe called for catfish, but tilapia was on sale, so that's what I used.   They were topped with broccoli slaw and yellow tomatoes.   For dessert, I've still got blueberry coffeecake left, yum! 

• Love 1

I made eggplant again.  Eggplant cooked in tomato-onion-butter-sauce that someone kindly posted the recipe for here the other day (I frozen half the sauce and it made it into tonight's dinner).  So I had two eggplants, some peas and some mushrooms cooked in that sauce, with cucumber salad that was cucumber, rice wine vinegar and a red onion with some fresh basil. 

Come February I will absolutely feel differently, but right now, I'm a little eggplanted out :-)  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2
Way back when I lived by myself, breakfast used to be a handful of Fritos; dinner was a handful of Fritos and a beer

.One of my husband's roommates in college used to drink a beer and a handful of mashed potato flakes for breakfast, ugh!  He said he did it because it filled up his stomach.  

I hardly ever cook breakfast, except occasionally on weekends, but even when I lived by myself I always cooked dinner.  I really enjoyed being able to make whatever I wanted to eat.   It's really the only "creative" thing I get to do every day.

• Love 1

.One of my husband's roommates in college used to drink a beer and a handful of mashed potato flakes for breakfast, ugh! He said he did it because it filled up his stomach.

I hardly ever cook breakfast, except occasionally on weekends, but even when I lived by myself I always cooked dinner. I really enjoyed being able to make whatever I wanted to eat. It's really the only "creative" thing I get to do every day.

I do (hence the Coors light for dinner) and wish I always cooked dinner. I love to cook, but I just haven't perfected the cooking for one. And the recipes I find online for one or two never call my name. So I find myself having Cap'n Crunch for dinner last night. This all makes me sound 21 and sadly, I am not. When I write it out like this, I'm a tad ashamed. Hold me accountable: I will make and post two dinners next week. I challenge all singles to do the same :)

On topic: My (also single) friend found a recipe for pimento cheese and she's invited me over. So pimento cheese and wine on the docket tonight!

• Love 1

I found a recipe on Pinterest for chicken and avocado salad with a cilantro lime dressing. Made with chopped rotisserie chicken so there's a time bonus too. Also low carbs, what more could I ask for? Bought the ingredients and am ready to go.

Edited to add: Sorry to the many people I've just grossed out who have listed avocado and cilantro as "foods I hate."

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

Something I can whip up during halftime, so probably a stir fry.  I know I have snow peas and bean sprouts in the fridge, so some shrimp and whatever I go pull from the garden with a simple ginger and soy sauce ... I think we have a winner.  Or I'll get lazy and order in.

• Love 2

Tonight it's pulled chicken sandwiches (liked pulled pork, but with chicken instead).   I top the sandwiches with cole slaw.   I think I might pick up some sort of chips to have on the side, though I don't those too often.  

• Love 2

I love to cook, but I just haven't perfected the cooking for one. And the recipes I find online for one or two never call my name. 

Get this book - it's by Julia Child's editor, a widow. And it's great! If it doesn't make you excited about cooking for yourself, it will at least give you a couple of new directions to go with it.

When I'm on my own for dinner, I'll sometimes make shrimp scampi and pasta, which can be scaled up or down according to the number of people at dinner. I use the recipe on the back of the Trader Joe's lemon-pepper pappardelle (sp?) package. I keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and thaw however many I think I'll need that night. It's super simple.

• Love 3

Get this book - it's by Julia Child's editor, a widow. And it's great! If it doesn't make you excited about cooking for yourself, it will at least give you a couple of new directions to go with it.

I checked out the book and it looks great.  I cook for two, not one, but it looks like that wouldn't be a problem since it's not just a matter of cooking one pork chop or half a chicken breast.  

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 2

So tonight, I went out!  And had baked Buffalo Wings (really spicy and tasty!), and just to change it up from wine, I had beer!   A lovely St Bernardus Extra 4 (less than 5% ABV and quite nice), and then a Southern Tier Pumking for "dessert."  This is a good year for Pumking.   

I went to a wedding reception tonight, and the food was terrific. Not particularly sophisticated, just good old-fashioned comfort food. Pulled pork, twice-baked potatoes, green beans, and a really good baked mac and cheese. Salad had almonds and strawberries and an interesting house dressing that I couldn't really identify in the candlelight, but was very tasty.

Instead of a traditional tiered cake, they had an assortment of cupcakes to choose from. (They had one smallish decorated cake for ceremonial cutting.) Mine was Andes Candies flavored, and so, so good.

• Love 7

I'm making Cincinnati Chili for dinner tonight, also called known as Five Way Chili (I'm not from Cincinnati, I just happened upon the recipe in the book Road Food, Good Food, which is about regional cooking).  The chili a mild, made with ground beef and a touch of cinnamon in the spices.  You start with a layer of spaghetti, then put on kidney beans, the chili, raw onions, and top with grated cheddar cheese (five layers).   If you want, you can leave off one or more of the layers, but I always use them all.  I usually make extra of the chili, then freeze it so I can use it for later meals.    

• Love 2

I was at the Toronto Vegetarian Food Fest today and my dinner was an amazing BBQ jackfruit taco with guacamole from a place called Hot Beans. I've been wanting to try a jackfruit taco for ages and this one did not disappoint, although I now have to come to terms with the fact that the restaurant is nowhere near where I live.

For dessert I had a really tasty cupcake, it was a homemade version of a Hostess. Snack cakes have always been my guilty pleasure (but I can never justify buying them) so it was a real treat.

• Love 3