Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

It's just me and my son tonight, so I'm going to treat us to some fast food. Since I don't like In and Out and we don't have a 5 Guys, I'm going to a little place called Everest Burger.  They have a junior sized burger so I can indulge without eating too many calories and their fries are really good, too.

• Love 1

We got pizza from that place we tried a couple of weeks ago. It's not exactly nearby, but we loved the Grilled Vegetable Pizza so much that we just had to get it again. It's topped with grilled eggplant, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, and roasted red peppers with balsamic vinaigrette

One pan pasta tonight. Recipe found here. 

Of course, I tweak it and add roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar. :) 

That looks so good, and easy too. Thanks for the link; I'm going to try it soon. I might add some crumbled goat cheese on top when serving it.

Lamb chops. I have four days home alone with nothing that needs to be done, so I'm indulging in all the foods that nobody else in my family likes. Tomorrow a friend is coming over for whole roast duck, which I've never actually made before, so fingers crossed. I've also got one last piece of rabbit pie in the freezer from last time I had a long weekend alone, and since I ended up with an accidental Easter theme I'll be rounding out the weekend with a Cornish game hen.

Thanks for the link to the recipe for Herb Crusted Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto. I don't like mint that much, but Mr. LB loves mint jelly with his lamb chops. I'm going to try this because I think he'd really like it.

Cioppino with a (purchased, not made) caramelized garlic bread last night.  Tweaked the cioppino recipe by using sea scallops instead of fin fish and some leftover lobster meat instead of crab leg.  Saturday night is usually our big, fun meal (if we have one); we're not always indulgent and spendy.  Grilled chicken with corn and cole slaw tonight.  Changing cole slaw to cucumbers with sour cream. Less combustion.  

Edited by harrie

We went out last night. Beer and chicken paillard over cappellini for me, beer and salmon steak over cauliflower mash for him. We shared an appetizer of Tex-Mex egg rolls and a dessert of white chocolate break pudding with vanilla ice cream. Plus a bread basket - this place owns the bakery that I buy bread from, and I always like to sample their new items.

• Love 1

LuckyB,  cioppino isn't in our regular rotation or anything.  We had some leftover lobster in the freezer for a couple of weeks, and I thought by putting it in a semi-spicy broth, we wouldn't notice if it had become too fishy.  It worked; and the recipe was easy, just pricey.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

I'm making Spinach and Ham Stuffed Baked Potatoes.  I did my weekly grocery shopping this morning, knowing I was planning to make this dish.  I have leftover ham in the freezer, and spinach.  But when I got home I realized I didn't have baking potatoes, all I had were a few small new potatoes.  I had to turn around and go back out and buy the baking potatoes.  Oh well, I did go to a different grocery store and was able to buy some low sodium vegetable juice (Knudson) that my husband likes.  

• Love 1

harrie, that's Mr. LB's favorite dish. We never make it at home though. 

I'm going to get the slow cooker going soon with the Slow Cooker Pot Roast that Rick Kitchen recommended back on Page 2 of this thread.

Good luck, let me know how it comes out.

We're having New York steaks and baked potatoes.  We don't have a grill, so I cook steaks in the toaster oven.  They come out okay, and we don't have to turn on the oven.

• Love 1

Last night's duck came out beautifully, if a little salty, followed by homemade eggnog marshmallows. Tonight's cornish game hen was a disappointment, though; I winged the seasoning and it didn't really fly, plus I'm pretty sure I overcooked it. Oh well; they can't all be winners.

• Love 4
cornish game hen was a disappointment, though; I winged the seasoning and it didn't really fly

However, you corrected the situation by apparently dining on puns as well, and there was happiness throughout the land!  

Well done, you!

• Love 10

I'm working late tonight, so we're having sloppy joes I made a couple of weeks ago and froze.   Baby carrots and potato chips on the side.   

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 2

It's breakfast for dinner tonight.  My husband's out of town and the kids requested French toast.  We rarely eat anything that requires syrup, too, because I'm a syrup snob and I raised two syrup snobs, and pure maple syrup (I grew up in Vermont, but Vermont, Canada, New Hamphire--I'm not picky as long as it's real) is ridiculously expensive (and understandably so given how it's made and how the weather conditions can affect the production).

• Love 4

Fellow syrup snob here, and it's totally worth the price and trouble.  

Tonight was salad - a bed of butter lettuce topped by tomatoes, crumbled bacon, the seafood I fished out of the leftover cioppino, and a basic vinaigrette. It was not too bad.

• Love 2

Good luck, let me know how it comes out.

We're having New York steaks and baked potatoes.  We don't have a grill, so I cook steaks in the toaster oven.  They come out okay, and we don't have to turn on the oven.

Rick Kitchen, the pot roast came out pretty good. Mr. LB loved it and said it reminded him of his mom's! I did a tiny bit of tweaking to the recipe: I'm not all that crazy about A1 to begin with and after I read the reviews to the recipe and saw some people thought the A1 was overpowering, I cut it back considerably and added some beef broth instead. I think the balance worked well for us.

Also, the recipe called for Onion-Mushroom soup mix and I couldn't find that. So, I used Lipton's Beefy Onion soup mix and in the last hour of cooking I threw some quartered large mushrooms into the slow cooker, which I had planned on doing anyway. It came out really good. Plus, I rarely add salt to to my plate, but I do think the dish needed a bit of salt. Next time, I'll salt and pepper the roast before cooking.

Also, this:

Slow cooker hint for pot roast. Brown the meat really well in a medium high cast iron skillet before adding to the recipe. Doesn't take too long and adds an amazing depth of flavor. My tip to you!

mansonlamps, I went against my better judgment and skipped that part. I figured I'd just cook it as the recipe said to the first time I made it. However, next time I plan to saute some garlic in olive oil and brown the roast in that first, (in addition to salt and pepper, I think the dish could use some garlic).

Edited by LuckyBitch

Another syrup snob reporting in.

I have a chicken breast (bone-in, with skin) that needs to be cooked, so I'm marinating it in tequila, lime juice, orange juice, jalapeño and garlic and will bake it (I don't want to heat up charcoal for one chicken breast).  I make a cucumber, herb and peanut salad with a dressing that relies heavily on lime juice, so I figure that will pair nicely.  I'd normally make a side dish of some sort, but I'm feeling oddly full from (early, fairly light) lunch.  I'm sure I'll wake up ravenous.

• Love 4

Put me in that pure maple syrup category too. We go to the maple syrup festival in one of our county parks every March where you can see the whole process from start to finish by identifying and tapping maple trees, collecting sap, and seeing syrup made over a wood-fired evaporator. They have a blind taste test where you can test the differences between maple syrups (a store bought one made from corn syrup - yuck, a farm produced syrup made from sugar maple trees, and the syrup made from the red maple trees at that county park). Before we leave we visit the farmer who has a table there and we buy syrup, plus usually maple flavored coffee, and maple flavored pancakes (overkill, I know, lol).

For dinner tonight Mr. LB made lite kielbasa and sauerkraut. I know some people hate that dish, but I love the way he makes it. He sautées an onion in olive oil in the cast iron pan. Then he slices the kielbasa on the bias and adds that to the pan to brown it. Then, he adds the sauerkraut and kind of browns it a bit. You have to use the sauerkraut in the bag. It's a million times better than canned sauerkraut, which I'd never use again. He had his on a roll, I had my plain, and we also had mashed potatoes and a salad. The kid would never eat that stuff, so he had leftover pasta.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1

However, you corrected the situation by apparently dining on puns as well, and there was happiness throughout the land!  

Well done, you!

That was one of those "It didn't start out on purpose, but when I saw where it was going I went for it" puns.

Finishing off my 'accidental Easter theme' weekend with a piece of rabbit pie, which is way up there on my list of 'tastiest things I have ever made.' Wine and berries in the filling, and fresh thyme baked into the from-scratch crust. Takes two days to make, three if I can only find whole rabbits, but it makes enough for eight meals and it freezes and reheats beautifully so I've usually got a piece or two on hand for special occasions.

• Love 1

Another vote in the syrup snob category. My kiddos love the maple sugar candy our local healthy food store carries. They think they are super special & with the cost we treat them as something for special times.

Tonight was left overs. Tomorrow will probably be loaded baked potato soup. I have a bag of potatoes needing attention. It's really too stinking hot for soup but my kiddos love this potato soup & I can make a lot, freeze it in individual portions & they eat it whenever they want. It's a crock pot recipe so at least I won't have to be near a stove because, in case I didn't mention it, it's nasty hot.

What's for dinner? Judging by the temperature at 8:20 in the morning, I'm going to go with "Likely it will be ice.  Good lord.  Ooey gooey melty lord."  

Actually I'm making a cold lentil spread and wish to hell I didn't have to cook the lentils and cool them first.  I have air conditioning, and am wildly grateful for it, don't get me wrong, but it's one of those kind of hot days where it's hot despite the air conditioning.  

I'm recording that thought process because according to the Farmer's Almanac we are in for another freezing cold, never-ending brutal winter, with lots of snow.  So in February, where I'd pay a King's ransom to not be freezing all.the.time I need to remember that being warm is not all that it is cracked up to be.  

What? Dinner?  Sorry, heat induced delirium over here.  Lentil spread, mixed in with fresh spinach, the lentils are mixed with spices (including smoked paprika, which I love enough to wed in another life) and then walnuts, pine nuts and sunflower seeds , all ground together.  It's actually really good, I'm just sort of dreading simmering anything :-) 

• Love 4

What? Dinner?  Sorry, heat induced delirium over here.  Lentil spread, mixed in with fresh spinach, the lentils are mixed with spices (including smoked paprika, which I love enough to wed in another life) and then walnuts, pine nuts and sunflower seeds , all ground together.  It's actually really good, I'm just sort of dreading simmering anything :-)

That sounds really tasty. Count me in as another lover of smoked paprika, it's the key to my favourite maple (real maple syrup, thank you very much) mustard baked beans recipe.

I have no air conditioning and my apartment is ungodly hot, so last night it was a big kale salad with cranberries, apples, pecans and apple cider vinaigrette. I learned my lesson after the night before, that no it is not worth it to turn your oven up to 400 for an hour to make chickpea nuggets and sweet potato fries.   

• Love 4

Sorry about the heathen heat, beatrixkiddoe.  

It is super tasty!  Here's a link to the second page of the Quick Vegetarian Meals thread, where I posted the original recipe including the tweaks I added , about halfway down the page, if you're interested. 

Yeah, when it's this hot I only keep the air-conditioning at about 79 or so, so that it doesn't faint and break from exertion.  So any cooking I'm doing gets done early :-) Your Kale salad sounds great! 

Sorry about the heathen heat

Hee! That made me laugh, stillshimpy.

I'll have to give that recipe a go, I love lentils (yet of I've never thought of turning them into a spread, which I find intriguing) so I tend to always have lots of them around. I'm also quite often at a loss with what to put in a sandwich, my standby of avocado and hummus is delicious, but it's nice to mix things up.

If you're interested in the kale salad, I just toss the kale with a chopped apple, some cranberries and pecans with this vinaigrette:

1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard

3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

I feel like I shouldn't be making it with manky storage apples when the early falls ones are pretty close, but it's tasty and I can't help myself.

Edited by beatrixkiddoe
  • Love 3

It's going to be pretty warm today here in Connecticut, and I want to use up the tomatoes I bought at the farmers' market before they go bad, so I'm making my standby Penne with Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil.   I'm topping it with toasted pignoli, which adds a nice crunch.  

• Love 2

The A/C is going here and I'm in the mood for pasta, so it's going to be shrimp scampi over lemon-pepper pappardelle and some kind of raw veggie on the side. Homemade ice cream is for dessert, possibly using up some leftover blackberry kefir as the main ingredient.

• Love 5

Anyone here familiar with Los Angeles and the surrounding areas?  My dad flies in today and the cheapest flight he could get has him landing at LAX at 4:20pm.  And we live in Pasadena.  *sigh*  So, I'll be ordering sandwiches (subs, grinders, hoagies--whatever you call them where you live) to eat on the road on the way home.  There's a little place in South Pasadena that's still owned by the woman who opened it several decades ago (my 50 year old husband was a teenager and worked there in the summers). Their sandwiches are delicious! 

Tonight's dinner:  pork medallions, rice, and a vegetable dish made with summer squash, bell peppers, onions, and fresh-from-the-farmer's-market corn.  Dessert will be plums from my backyard tree, or maybe peaches from the same market I'll get the corn.

• Love 1

I wish someone in this thread would adopt me. Even if only for a week. I'm in awe everytime I read here.

Pinot Grigio and frozen chicken cordon bleu (that spelling was my attempt to hang with you all) cooked to perfection at 450 in about 50 minutes.

• Love 4

Ooh, chicken cordon bleu.  I haven't made that in ages, but I love it.  I'm going to stop off for some prosciutto and Swiss cheese, and that's what I'll be making.  Thanks for the idea.

• Love 1

I'm with you KnoxForPres.  My husband is the cook and he's got a show for the next 3 weeks.  So I'm surviving on Chunky Soup. Tonight is beef with country veggies and cabernet sauvignon.

Tomorrow it will be pizza with some friends.  It's half-price wine night!  

...there's a theme here somewhere...

• Love 5

Fish sticks and cole slaw tonight.  Tomorrow - pizza or meat loaf and (our home grown) baked potatoes, depending on whether we work in the garden or not.  And, of course, a little wine here or there. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2

Ribs were on sale this week, so I made the same dinner I made about three weeks ago, which I mentioned back on Page 2 of this thread:

We're making the easiest ribs ever: Anita Lo's "My Mother's BBQ Spare Ribs" (via Martha Stewart).

It pairs nicely with this Roasted Broccoli Recipe with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds.

Two very easy and simple recipes that are delicious, along with some rice probably.

Mr. LB and I were cooking this dinner together tonight and we had a slight kitchen mishap. I'll post about it in the Kitchen Disasters thread....

BLT's made with turkey bacon, and the addition of avocado. 

I need to do that. I just wish the two elementary school children in the home would hurry up and start appreciating the heirloom tomatoes I grow. I make the bacon for the BLTs and one just wants a piece of bacon and a buttered bagel and the other one wants to eat nine pieces of bacon and he's good. 

I brought a nice big red tomato (red and round being unusual in my garden) with me to work today. I think I'll ask the cafeteria to make me a bacon, lettuce and mayo sandwich today for me to bring back to my desk. If they have avocado, that's going in the sandwich as well.

• Love 2

Since wild kingdom: the tame division is basically our backyard, we can't really grow much without some creature making off with it.  The squirrels here have dined on my husband agricultural endeavors many a time.  I once watched one eat a strawberry like it was corn-on-the cob, whittling it down in a circular motion.  It was hilarious.  

So squirrels don't eat poblano peppers.   I explain this because we are having a version of Chile Relenos tonight.  All rather tiny poblanos, fire roasted to remove the skins, seeded and stuffed with monterey jack and a bit of white cheddar.  They wont be fried, they'll be warmed on the stove (since I stuffed the little green buggers yesterday) over low heat until the cheese melts, then served in eggs, cooked scrambled, but flat so they can be folded around the chiles.  

Served with black beans and a form of green chile which is actually just more of the poblanos fire roasted and pureed with some salt, pepper, garlic and onion ...and some lime juice, then thickened with a tablespoon of flour (made ahead and frozen for about two weeks at this point, the stuff rocks) :-)  Salsa and avocado too (I will be so bummed when avocado season is over). 

I'm really sick of the site of diminutive poblanos at this juncture, by the way :-D 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3