Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Last night was pasta with pesto sauce (again. Settle down basil plants!)

Tough call tonight for after work. I will probably grill some sort of meat currently in the freezer, tomato or cucumber or both salad, and corn on the cob. The local sweet corn has been available for a couple weeks now around here, and it has been really good this year. I'm going to need to pick up more butter for all of the corn we're going to eat in the next month. Heh.

Throwing some burgers on the grill along with some veggies (of course! :) and baked french fries.  I know people usually do salads with things like this, but no one in my family really likes them*, so in the summer we either grill veggies whenever we have some sort of meat for a main course (hamburgers, steak, pork chops, fish) and in the winter, I steam them. 

*I like those big salads with lots of stuff in them as main courses, but the little side salads?  meh. 

Went gourmet tonight: Quarter Pounder and fries from McDonald's.

Ah yes, the Royal with cheese :)

Dinner was chicken meatballs in tomato sauce and pasta and braised garlicky kale.

I skipped the pasta and ate the meatballs on top of the kale with lots of Parmesan ( to make up for those cals I skipped not having the pasta).

A big salad (TM Elaine Benes - it's a salad, only bigger, with lots of stuff in it) because I haven't been in the mood to stop by the market, so other than the garden goodies I am down to something like two corn tortillas, parmesan cheese, condiments and a pickle.

• Love 4

I was tired too today and we ended up getting pizza. It's been a bad week and it's only Wednesday. So, the dinner plans went out the window and we ordered pizza. I had salad pizza, and, ha, a salad. 

Not sure what to make tomorrow. 

Is it Friday yet?

• Love 2

I went to a barbecue at my brother's place yesterday  and made Blueberry-Blackberry Galette with Cornmeal Crust,http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-blackberry-galette-with-cornmeal-crust-10000001816371/ ,which came out really good.   Couldn't post yesterday since my internet is down, had to wait until I got to work today.   Of course, since the internet was down, it was tough to get the recipe, which I had gotten from the internet.   I was eventually able to get it using my husband's smartphone. 

• Love 2

We went out and had Italian last night. I ordered linguine with clam sauce, DH had the special (some kind of fish, side of linguine), and we shared a wonderfully dense dark chocolate mousse. If I could only have one dessert for the rest of my life, that would be it.

• Love 4

Parmesan encrusted talapia with long grain wild rice and steamed asparagus.  I have a feeling I've written this within the last week--I'm not making  it again so soon, things just got too busy for me to spend a lot of time on dinner, so we grabbed something on the fly and saved this for tonight.

• Love 2

A basic, simple oldie - not very creative but pretty good: Chicken drumsticks coated with extra crispy Shake 'n Bake, with rice, salad, and brussels sprouts (for Mr. LB only because brussels sprouts are one of the few veggies I won't eat).

Hot Italian chicken sausage, baby red potatoes (quartered), red/yellow/orange pepper strips, sliced onions on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt and pepper, and lots of oregano. So good, if I do say so myself.

• Love 2

Grilled chicken thighs, spaghetti squash and farro.   I've never tried farro before.  I liked it, but I think next time I make it all add something to make it a little more interesting.  I just boiled it and put on a pat of butter.  

• Love 1

Lazy meal: white chicken chili. I used to use the McCormick seasoning package but it has gluten in it so I'm experimenting. My kiddos don't like it too spicy anyway. The spice package recipe uses cut up chicken & white beans. Because I count this as a in a hurry meal I use canned chicken, whatever canned beans I have on hand & usually canned tomatoes if I have them because the kids love them. It ends up being reddish chicken chili. Throw all that canned stuff in a pot with some chicken broth & spices, heat it up & done. That's my kind of cooking!

It's Friday, so were having our regular wine, cheese and fruit, no cooking involved. But I did made bread (baguette) earlier today, and mixed up some bread dough to put in the fridge for future bread.  

• Love 3

Lamb chops. I have four days home alone with nothing that needs to be done, so I'm indulging in all the foods that nobody else in my family likes. Tomorrow a friend is coming over for whole roast duck, which I've never actually made before, so fingers crossed. I've also got one last piece of rabbit pie in the freezer from last time I had a long weekend alone, and since I ended up with an accidental Easter theme I'll be rounding out the weekend with a Cornish game hen.

• Love 2

I'm having lamb chops tonight, too.  I love lamb, and chops are probably my favorite.  I'm just going to season them with garlic and rosemary and broil them to medium rare.  I have a Portobello mushroom that needs to be cooked ASAP, so I'll probably just sauté that with butter and thyme and wilt in some spinach.  Plus a mixed green salad -- I have a side salad with pretty much every meal.

The nice thing is it's all quick and easy, because right now I'm unwinding with a martini (using two of the delicious garlic-stuffed olives I picked up at a local cheese shop).

Tomorrow night is salmon, but I haven't decided on a preparation yet.  I don't like salmon as much as I want to, so I tend to rely on sauces.

• Love 2

Tonight was brown rice with cauliflower/broccoli/carrots in cheese sauce and rosemary bread. I tried something new with the rice tonight though and cooked in 1/2 water and 1/2 vegetable broth. It actually turned out really well and added a little flavor to the rice. 

• Love 2

Stew tonight since it is cool and raining outside. I could not find a good deal on beef or pork stew meat, so I will be using boneless rib meat. I did it last time I made stew, and it was delish. I also put in two packages of mushroom gravy with the veggies, beef cooking stock, and meat.

Three different kinds of eggplant, oyster mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, cabbage, onion and tomatoes and basil stir-fried and then mixed with Thai red curry paste and served with quinoa.  Woo hoo! It's eggplant season! 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3