Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

What Did We Eat Today?

Fresh sausage and part of a Pillsbury funetti pancake with cut up banana and syrup. I made three and then the older granddaughter (6) wound up wanting two so I shared with the littler granddaughter (3) and she wound up eating most of it. DIL had put the box out one day last week and I made them and they are so good. I should have made four. 

Pan of homemade sloppy jo along with another pan of trying it out Manwich, crispy french fries with Walmart brand chicken nugget sauce to dip. That sauce is the exact same flavor as Chick Fil-A sauce. Sloppy jo was on a potato roll with mustard, pepper hash. 

@Gramto6 Texas Pete is a hot sauce. I don't like hot stuff so this is my limit on what I can manage. It is vineger-ey and smooth with no bitterness that I get from tabasco and most other sauces. I think I have that thing where you taste cilantro differently because I taste most hot sauces as a bitter ashy taste. Texas Pete provides just a bit of warmth and a good tangy-ness to most things. I am not one who enjoys hot things that just numb your mouth, taste bitter, and clear your sinuses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@Gramto6 Texas Pete is a hot sauce. I don't like hot stuff so this is my limit on what I can manage. It is vineger-ey and smooth with no bitterness that I get from tabasco and most other sauces. I think I have that thing where you taste cilantro differently because I taste most hot sauces as a bitter ashy taste. Texas Pete provides just a bit of warmth and a good tangy-ness to most things. I am not one who enjoys hot things that just numb your mouth, taste bitter, and clear your sinuses. 

Thanks for the explanation. I on the other hand do love a lot of different hot sauces. I always have Sambal Olek in the fridge plus several varieties of Bravado Spice Co hot sauces. My newest favorite is Secret Aardvark Habanero hot sauce I learned about from watching Iron Chef Michael Symon on one of his cooking videos. You only need a few drops of that one...great in my bloody marys! I'll look on Amazon for Texas Pete hot sauce could be a good addition to my collection.

4 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I think I have that thing where you taste cilantro differently because I taste most hot sauces as a bitter ashy taste.

The specific genetic thing where one tastes cilantro differently (as opposed to just disliking its actual flavor) makes it taste like soap; I've never heard of that being accompanied by chiles/hot sauces tasting bitter and ashy.

• Like 1

Count me in as a sambal ulek fan. I spent a year in Indonesia during college and my host mother taught me to make a bunch of different sambals that I still make today because they are quick, involve a mortar and pestle you can use to get out aggression,  and keep for awhile.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I meant it as a comparison to the cilantro taste being off thing with my hot sauce taste being off, not that hot sauce was part of the cilantro taste. 

Blue Apron Amanda Freitag recipe - Thai shrimp & peanut noodles with cabbage and shishito peppers.

16 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Pierogi, sautéed cabbage with apple-Gouda sausages, and applesauce. Perfect for rainy fall weather.

Oooh yum!!!! That is one of my favorite meals:

I used leftover cranberry sauce to do a port and rosemary sauce for pork chops, leftover mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli. I used the leftover Japanese milk rolls to make pumpkin bread pudding. 

• Like 2

Pretty simple but grilled cheese with a tomato/butternut squash soup. Paired with a non-oaky chardonnay. I'm not a big tomato fan so I always have to cut the soups/sauces with some sugar.

• Like 1

Sausage, egg, potato burrito from a Mexican joint.

Fried chicken thigh, collards, field peas, boiled potatoes.

One fourth of the single serve vanilla cake with strawberry. 

• Like 1

Too hot to function so sushi takeout with a bottle of my favorite unfiltered cold sake.

Edited by biakbiak

I made butternut squash soup (from various cooks'/chefs' recipes) and shrimp salad ( a la Ina).

Edited by annzeepark914

Over 90 degrees today so takeout again from a yummy Szechuan place: beef stuffed scallion pancake, spicy wonton, mapo doufu, and Dan Dan noodles. 

• Like 2

It is Friday so it is fish day. Cod fish filet, lettuce, extra tarter sauce and one packet of Texas Pete from Weiner Works. 

Over 90 again but needed to eat so managed to make a tuna salad but it seemed like too much to turn that into a sandwich, so eating it out of bowl with crackers! Luckily for me the rosé in the fridge was a twist off so managed to summon the energy to open it!

• Like 3

It has been hideously hot even here at the beach since Monday (setting records hot, not just in my imagination hot) and I also have no energy to do more than twist the cap off some Firestone Sauvignon Blanc. So last night was salad with some of that wild salmon that comes in a pouch (surprisingly edible and my cat thinks its great). At least the salad involved mixed herbs and greens, vine ripened tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and homemade ranch dressing. And a yummy tangerine for dessert.

• Like 1

A bunch of dredged in seasoned flour chicken tenderloins fried crispy. Drizzled with a syrup mixed with Texas Pete, chopped bacon. Baked sweet carrots and boiled with the peel on new potatoes that were then smooshed and loaded with butter.  The tenderloins and carrots were dipped in an herb-y dill pickle ranch dressing. The dressing is going to for sure be used the next Friday fish day. 

A small pumpkin cream stuffed croissant dusted with powdered sugar that my future (next weekend!!) daughter in law brought late this morning.  

• Like 1

The only thing getting through another 90 plus day is Monday’s forecast of 66 degrees and cloudy plus cold sesame noodles topped with some homemade spicy shiso pickles I had in the fridge on top. 

• Like 2

Ordered brunch delivery today.  Egg white and spinach sandwich with a salad for me, a bacon and egg sandwich w/ fries for DH and then pancakes to share.  The little guy had his own brunch lunch earlier so he only ate a bit of what we had.  The pancakes were supposed to be from their "kids' menu," but goodness, they're certainly GENEROUS!

Dinner tonight?  I ordered a salad earlier, so we'll have that, along with a bit of bread and cheese and maybe some additional protein.  I still have one piece of pancake left for dessert if we feel like it.  

• Like 1

I’ve got a big batch of turkey chili in the crock pot, and a pumpkin-apple cake with golden raisins waiting to be finished with some bourbon-nutmeg cream cheese frosting.

• Like 2

Ravioli lasagna made with pumpkin & sage ravioli, pumpkin chipolte pasta sauce, Transylvanian cave cheese (it's a thing) all thanks to Aldi, some mozzarella and Parmesan to fill out the cheese needs, and a light dusting on top with ground sage for a little extra color. Yum!

• Like 1

Jackpot leftovers: DIL brought me a huge chicken parm sandwich on focaccia bread from their outing. I ate it cold for breakfast.

I added honey, sea salt and chopped bell pepper and some water to the leftover sloppy jo from earlier this week and poured it over some linguine noodles that were warmed up first with sea salt, pepper, butter and cheddar cheese. Crumbled up some bbq potato chips on top of it. 

• Like 1

@LucindaWalsh, that was creative use of leftover sloppy joes! I usually just freeze it, but maybe I’ll try your recipe next.

We ordered BBQ takeout from a new-to-us place. We’re in Massachusetts, so I was a little skeptical, but it was really good! Chopped BBQ beef, collard greens, BBQ beans, coleslaw, and macaroni and cheese. We have lots of leftovers, so will have it again tomorrow. We don’t have a lot of good takeout places in our neighborhood (this place is 20 minutes away) so it’s nice to find a new place. 

• Like 1

Blue Apron spicy chicken stir fry with veggies over rice with diced persimmon in rice vinegar. I baked the Bobby Flay chocolate chip cookie dough I made yesterday (it needs to rest for at least 24 hours), so that was dessert.

I'd never had persimmon before. My husband said he used to pick them off trees.

• Like 1

I love persimmons! 

To celebrate a return to normal temps so that cooking isn’t the worst, falafel and a wild rice salad. 

I have a neighbor with a persimmon tree (the fuyus), so I get a nice supply from her every season.

Hamburger atw (added TP at table), crinkle cut fries at a hole in the wall burger joint in a no stop light crossroad. Didn't play pool. Went across the road to get a strawberry ice cream cone. At first I thought it was cherry because it was so deeply colored. Perfect and dense. 

Thick sliced pork with green peppers and a bit of gravy made from drippings, buttered flat noodles. Garlic buttered toasted bread covered in the gravy. Topped it with spoonful of pepper hash.

Edited by LucindaWalsh · Reason: forgot the ice cream.

For lunch, leftover pork stuff from last night. For supper, a SuperK gas station gouda cheese smoked hotdog on a pretzel roll with carmelized onions, bbq sauce underneath the hotdog and topped with cold sauerkraut. 

Shrimp piccata pasta.

My Blue Apron box last week had a shrimp dish. I got an email from them saying the package of shrimp was too much for the dish, and sure enough it was. I'm using the rest of the shrimp tonight.

Wendy's doublestack.

Fresh garden peas from the freezer cooked in butter, seasoned only with some sea salt and pepper on top after cooking and I also had some homemade biscuits left in the freezer so added some homemade apple butter (son tried his hand at making it with the apples he got at the mountains a couple weeks ago. It was delicious. Told him to make some more and not puree it to use as an ice cream topping.)

• Like 2

One advantage to living alone is that when you make the effort and cook up something yummy, you get to eat it for days on end. So last night, having had a super busy day giving away food at my local food pantry, I came home to my third meal (one more to go!) of the meatballs in spicy tomato sauce I made last weekend - I like to use 2/3 ground pork and 1/3 ground beef (I prefer chuck for this), some plain breadcrumbs, chopped red onion, an egg and lots of garlic, black pepper and oregano for the meatballs. The sauce started with plain tomato sauce with some freshly chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh garlic, basil, oregano, chopped yellow onion, pepper and red wine. Once I browned the meatballs and added the sauce I put in a little water to cook it down. You notice I don't use any additional salt - I find nowadays that the natural salt in food is plenty sufficient and that restaurant food is way too salty.

• Like 2

Leftovers Publix subs and homemade corn chowder. I made lunch for a work group today and have quite a few slices of the sub ring left (which ended up being free due to Publix not making the order in time for pick up) so I have a feeling I'll be eating then for my weekend meals.

I made sausage and chicken jambalaya for dinner. I meant to make it Thursday, but somehow it didn’t happen until tonight. I can’t say how authentic is is, but it’s tasty!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

A bunch of dredged in seasoned flour chicken tenderloins fried crispy. Drizzled with a syrup mixed with Texas Pete, chopped bacon. Baked sweet carrots and boiled with the peel on new potatoes that were then smooshed and loaded with butter.  The tenderloins and carrots were dipped in an herb-y dill pickle ranch dressing. The dressing is going to for sure be used the next Friday fish day. 

A small pumpkin cream stuffed croissant dusted with powdered sugar that my future (next weekend!!) daughter in law brought late this morning.  

I like the syrup with Texas Pete and chopped bacon--yum!!  Good luck with getting through the wedding. They're fun but a lot of work.

Dungeness crab cakes, roasted asparagus, and an arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette.  Yum!

• Like 2

I officiated a friend's wedding yesterday and came home with champagne and leftover Nicaraguan tamales. I've never had them before (and I'm not a big fan of Mexican tamales), but these are amazing! 

• Like 4

Cheesy pork chorizo enchiladas with shishito peppers and rice.

When did shishito peppers become a thing? I'd never heard of them before they started showing up in my Blue Apron box, Ina has a recipe for roasted shishito peppers with hollandaise sauce in her new cookbook Modern Comfort Food. I'm in and out of the grocery store so fast these days I haven't bothered to see if they carry them.