Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

What Did We Eat Today?

3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@biakbiak, please tell me waffles and whipped cream make an appearance.

Alas, neither of us are sweet breakfast people but this morning I did make enough eggs, bacon and hashbrowns   to meet with Ron Swanson’s approval. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Alas, neither of us are sweet breakfast people but this morning I did make enough eggs, bacon and hashbrowns   to meet with Ron Swanson’s approval. 

Ah, so you made ALL the eggs and bacon. Well played.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

My husband walked into the kitchen and saw me measuring spices into a small container. He asked if I was making taco seasoning. When I said yes, his face lit up and he said "Taco Tuesday!".

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Coconut braised chicken thighs with turmeric and lemongrass and shallots and peppers over jasmine rice. 

Blue Apron - creamy chipotle chicken with cilantro rice and cotija cheese. I was thinking of stopping my Blue Apron subscription, and then they come up with a winner like this. It's definitely not something I'd make without being given the ingredients.

Takeout night and our neighborhood sushi restaurant finally reopened and is doing a friends and family test run. So we got chirashi with all the best fish available and purple rice that was so prettily presented I almost didn’t want to eat it but that only last a few seconds, their house made tofu with mushrooms and one of my favorite sakes that is made especially for them. So amazingly delicious! 

Edited by biakbiak

Fettuccini al fredo, baguette baked with anchovies on top, and steamed asparagus. Dessert: we're sharing a big wedge/slice of sprinkle cake. 

Grilled chicken breast with a creamy mustard, parmesan, and rosemary sauce, sautéed zucchini and grape tomatoes, and garlic mash potatoes.

I had planned to roast a chicken but my boyfriend picked up burritos at lunch from our usual neighborhood place that recently changed hands and came home with the largest burrito I have ever seen, it was so large I weighed it and it came in at just over 2 1/2 lbs so that will be feeding us for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Hummus, avocado, shredded carrots, and pea shoots with everything but the bagel seasoning in a whole wheat wrap. Dinner was Triscuits  and a slice of Munster cheese because I just could not be bothered. 

• Like 2

Pork chorizo meatballs and pepper rice with chipotle peanut sauce - compliments of Blue Apron. My box is scheduled to arrive by 9 pm on Fridays. When it wasn't here by 9:30, I contacted Blue Apron and they refunded the cost. It did show up about 11:30 pm.

Slow-cooker beef stroganoff over egg noodles with California Blend veggies on the side. I've been a lot more adventurous since the pandemic started (and I've been unemployed).

• Like 3

Grilled curry spiced chicken breasts with a mango chutney sauce, garlic green beans, and mustard seed rice.

Crispy gnocchi with Brussel sprouts.  The gnocchi turned out well but as much as I love sprouts these di not turn out well. 

• Like 1

Had a shitty day so my boyfriend made steaks, full loaded baked potatoes, and a blue cheese wedge so I could eat my feelings! Also, drink them with a great old vine Zin!

• Like 2

We got a feast from our local Indian restaurant. Chicken korma, aloo gobi, vegetable pakora, onion naan, bhel, and raita. We will enjoy the leftovers for the next couple of days.

• Like 3

I just had a Trader Joe's breakfast: a slice of the Cinnamon Coffeecake & a slice of the Almond Danish Coffeecake. They're both small but oh so tasty. I couldn't decide which one to buy so I bought both.

• Like 4

Leftover leek and cheese risotto.  I love risotto and when I can find it without mushroom or asparagus I jump on the chance. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I just had a Trader Joe's breakfast: a slice of the Cinnamon Coffeecake & a slice of the Almond Danish Coffeecake. They're both small but oh so tasty. I couldn't decide which one to buy so I bought both.

My hometown is finally getting a Trader Joe’s, by the end of the month. I don’t live anywhere near it, but they’ve been reporting on it on our local news. They already have the sign up & are hiring workers. There’s more info on our Trader Joe’s in the Trader Joe’s thread, in case it’s the closest store for anyone else here.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add comments.

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

My hometown is finally getting a Trader Joe’s, by the end of the month. I don’t live anywhere near it, but they’ve been reporting on it on our local news. They already have the sign up & are hiring workers.

I hadn't been to a TJ's since the days of standing in line and I was out of my favorite items. Everything was great until I got 3/4's of the way through the store. I noticed *lots* of people around me. So I immediately went to check out. Next trip: go when they first open up!! 

• Like 1

I'm tired of cooking. Just picked up a mushroom and sausage pizza from the family business near us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm tired of cooking. Just picked up a mushroom and sausage pizza from the family business near us.

I was like this just last night and ordered delivery. Wish we had a good pizza delivery near us. Tonight I made chicken piccata, baked tomatoes, peas, & Bob Evans mashed potatoes (Bob saves the day frequently here!)

• Like 1

Homemade  cinnamon French toast sticks for breakfast, frozen pizza for dinner. I have now moved on to Ben & Jerry‘s.

• Like 2

Chicken and dumplings plus leftover rum cake for dessert. So yummy. 

• Like 1

I opened the freezer, saw a Trader Joe's spanikopita...uhh...spinach in phyllo pie, and baked it for a quick & easy supper, with a Greek salad. It was tasty.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Pasta with butter and pepper. It’s my comfort food when my stomach is being weird.

Feel better soon!!  My comfort food when my GI system is cranky:  rice with a little butter, salt & pepper.

We had Rotini with Italian Sweet Turkey Sausage, Mushroom and Zucchini tonight. 

• Like 1

We ate on the back porch. Not sure how many more of these warm nights we'll have. Grilled chicken breasts with creamy orzo with zucchini, lemon, and capers.

• Like 2

I have several Canadian friends and family and they were all talking about their upcoming Thanksgiving plans because it’s on Monday and I started craving the food so got a split turkey breast, had leftover homemade sourdough, and the store had fresh cranberries so tonight will be thyme roasted turkey breast, sausage and mushroom stuffing, roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh cranberry sauce and Japanese milk rolls. I stopped short of making dessert because that is probably the biggest time commitment but the day is still young and everything is made or prepped so there is a good chance I will make pumpkin bread.

• Like 5

It’s our 20th anniversary, so my husband and I braved a restaurant for the first time since early March. I had panko crusted shrimp with a lime vinegrette and served over a cucumber salad for an appetizer, some of my husbands calamari appetizer, which was very lightly battered calamari drizzled with a sweet chili sauce and tossed with mango, grapefruit and cashews (the best calamari I’ve ever had), and for dinner roast pork tenderloin with an apple and bacon jam, served over pureed parsnips with a rosemary cider demi-glaze. Also a delicious glass of autumn sangria, made with merlot,  brandy, and peach liquor. I brought most of the pork home for lunch tomorrow! 

• Like 7

A Costco croissant sandwich made with a layer of their rotisserie chicken sliced thin piled high, Herr's brand roasted corn potato chips, sweet pickled banana peppers, mayo, fresh ground sea salt, tinned fine ground black pepper. 

Wegman's chicken corn chowder with crispy fried onions, four big croutons, freshly shredded cheddar cheese, fine ground black pepper and 14 shakes of Texas Pete. 

• Like 1

Squid ink linguini with vodka tomato sauce and lots of Asiago and Parmesan Reggiano cheese, spinach salad and a glass of merlot.

Lunch was an open faced turkey sandwich with leftovers which is my favorite thing.

Dinner white bean and ham hock soup. 

Pork chop biscuit with sawmill gravy, five shakes of Texas Pete.

A bowl of Grape-nuts cereal with almond milk.

Two battered cod fish along with extra butter boiled potatoes. Rutabagas stewed in some seasoning meat.  Nine shakes of Texas Pete.

One miniature single serving vanilla cake with strawberry topping and vanilla creamy something topping from Costco. I cut a triangle out over the course of the day to eat it because it was so rich. Anything more at one time would have been cloyingly sweet but just a bit of it at a time was the perfect day long thing. I am not a big sweet eater.

What is Texas Pete? I am open to any  new flavor additive. Please share!

• Like 1

Yesterday it was raining so I did the split pea soup with ham meal. Dang, I should have added some Texas Pete and will next time. I’ll have remember to count the number of shakes. 
Texas Peter to me is a slightly milder version of Tabasco and seems to have less salt. Sometimes I want all the heat, but it makes the food too salty to enjoy. I’m learning to cook with hot peppers instead. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I agree re: Texas Pete--not as hot as Tabasco. There's also sambal oulek (ground fresh chili paste it says but it's not a "paste"). I learned about sambal oulek in an Italian restaurant in Stockholm when I asked the waiter what made their marinara so good. 

• Like 1

Yesterday:  Thanksgiving dinner (yesterday and today = Canadian Thanksgiving):  turkey breast, brussels sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes (which my son LOVES), salad, beans (all from the store) and homemade dinner rolls, cranberry sauce and pumpkin purée cornbread.  We weren't able to have a large gathering (we haven't done in years, anyway), thanks to COVID, but we still wanted to make it as close to "normal" as we could.  Earlier, we had brunch delivered - avo toast for me, eggs benedict for my husband.  Son had a bit of each from us (he's turning 2 this week!!!!!)

Today: lunch was steamed greens and salmon.  We're ordering in tonight (I don't feel like leftovers)!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's also sambal oulek (ground fresh chili paste it says but it's not a "paste"). I learned about sambal oulek in an Italian restaurant in Stockholm when I asked the waiter what made their marinara so good. 

I love sambal oelek and use it in many things that most use sriracha in, because I like the spice level and distinct chile flavor created by leaving out the sugar.  Fresh chiles are best, but sometimes I don't have them or don't want to bother, so I always have sambal oelek in the fridge.

• Like 1