Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

What Did We Eat Today?

Chicken thighs braised in coconut milk, tomato with ginger and garlic with brown rice. Tasty and a great weeknight meal.

Today was my monthly Fun Lunch potluck luncheon. The theme was tea. Lots of finger foods, cucumber and crème cheese sandwiches, egg salad, chicken salad. Scottish eggs, scones, trifle, and tea cookies. And our requisite bottles of wine in addition to tea. . 

• Like 1

Wasabi pea crusted pork chops, mashed potatoes and gochujang green beans. Plus, first GIrl Scout cookies in years, one sleeve of thin mints is a single serving, correct?

• Like 4

19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Plus, first GIrl Scout cookies in years, one sleeve of thin mints is a single serving, correct?

Absolutely!

(But while I like Thin Mints, my own preference is for Tagalongs - with the chocolate and peanut butter!)

• Like 1

We've had a mild winter in the bay area of MD, sprinkled with a few cold days. Today is one of those days, so I'm making vegetarian chili on this chilly day. I told HRH Jinglebelle it was a good day to be an indoor kitty. 😉

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, chessiegal said:

Today was my monthly Fun Lunch potluck luncheon. The theme was tea. Lots of finger foods, cucumber and crème cheese sandwiches, egg salad, chicken salad. Scottish eggs, scones, trifle, and tea cookies. And our requisite bottles of wine in addition to tea. . 

I went to a bridal shower today and the menu was very similar to what you had for your pot luck. I enjoy a good tea party. 

• Like 2

Made some cheddar and scallion mashed potato cakes because we had a ton of leftover mashed potatoes and used them in sort of a play on full English breakfast with bangers, broiled tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans and a fried egg.

Made focaccia earlier this week so made a panzanella with cherry tomatoes and roast chicken.

• Like 2

ATK sent me another recipe for 2 to test, the second in about a month. It's a meatloaf on a sheet pan that bakes with carrots and turnips or potatoes. I used red potatoes. The meatloaf had parmesan cheese in it. I wasn't that much of a fan of the cheese, but my husband loved it.

• Like 2

There’s a Russian market near one of my go to dim sum places that I drop in whenever I am there. They have all these different smoked meats and sausages but they are only labeled in Cyrillic so tonight is having one of these mystery sausages with roasted potatoes and braised cabbage.

• Like 2

I had a disappointing lunch today. A few weeks ago I had lunch at a small place in rural Anne Arundel county near our marina that was recommended by a friend. I had the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had, and black bean soup that was very good. I went back today and ordered shrimp tacos. I was shocked the shrimp were overcooked! At least the glass of Prosecco was good. 😉

Crab cake Friday with steak fries and cucumber salad.

Went to the grocery store around 11 am for just a few things, and it was NUTS! People are panic buying.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Went to the grocery store around 11 am for just a few things, and it was NUTS! People are panic buying.

I'm going to try early tomorrow morning - 9:15ish. We have 5 supermarkets in our area so it may not be too bad 🤞 I just read an article in the Washington Post in which a lot of grocery executives are saying they have the supplies, they're in the warehouses and the stores will get restocked. Here's hoping the truck drivers, stockers, etc., stay healthy. Sheesh - here's hoping we all stay healthy! 

• Like 2

Falafel with all the fixings and starting my stress baking with a peanut butter chocolate tart.

• Like 3

Making a shrimp, zucchini, and tomato stir-fry for dinner tonight.

No more eating out for us after 5 pm today. The governor is closing all bars, restaurants, gyms. and movie theaters for the foreseeable future. Drive thru and take out places can stay open. 

Starting at midnight the Bay Area has been ordered to shelter in place so only essential business (basically only grocery stores and pharmacies) so no take out or delivery.

Tonight will be asparagus risotto and a salad. 

Edited by biakbiak

Turkey gumbo from my freezer stash for lunch. Wild rice and chicken casserole for dinner. Yesterday I made bourbon chocolate chip pecan blondies. I can’t leave the house, so I might as well cook/bake!

Since our restaurants can still do take out, we decided to support a local business for dinner. I'm having a shrimp taco salad and my husband is having shrimp tacos with beans and rice.

On the quarantine diet!

Breakfast: A smoothie -- Vega One protein + greens chocolate plant-based protein powder; powdered milk; chia powder; cocoa powder; peanut butter; frozen raspberries; water. Then I put some Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted whole grain cereal in it as well, so it was more of a smoothie bowl.

Lunch: Whole grain crackers and a can of sardines in olive oil.

Snack: Some dates and unsweetened chocolate chips, and a mug of English breakfast tea.

Dinner: Sort of a stew -- lentils, brown rice, olive oil, frozen spinach, frozen butternut squash, nutritional yeast, rosemary, sage, garlic.

Grilled bacon cheddar cheese hamburgers I got at the grocery store recently, one of the few fresh meats on the shelf, so thought I would give them a try. We have bread, but I thought it would be nice to have hamburger buns. I checked the small store near us, and they had gotten a delivery this morning, so were fully stocked with bread products.

When we were looking for a house, the sign on this store cracked me up. Under their name, it says "Liquor Lottery Tickets Bait". All the necessities of life.

• Laugh 4

Our friend who left town to be with his parents was traveling light so gave us some of his perishables and a lot of prepackaged chopped vegetables so today is TJs Asian stir fry mix and marinated some chicken thighs in ginger, garlic and soy with rice and some homemade dumplings from the freezer. 

Just ordered a mushroom and sausage pizza from our local mom and pop place. Doing my part to support local business, They don't deliver, but I was going out to our little store for tonic water anyway.

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When we were looking for a house, the sign on this store cracked me up. Under their name, it says "Liquor Lottery Tickets Bait". All the necessities of life.

When my stepdaughter was driving cross country from LA to State College, PA for grad school, as the scenery got more & more "rural", she got more & more worried. By the time they passed a little ol' country store with a large sign saying "Bait" she burst into tears.  All worked out though as she has lots of fun memories of great people & times at Penn State.

• Like 1

Mushroom stroganoff with egg noodles and roasted broccoli. 

• Like 1

Guavas were super cheap a week or two ago at the farmers market so I made jam. Today I turned it into a bbq sauce for chicken thighs and had potato salad and coleslaw (still trying to use up the prechopped veg are friend gave us). Sauce turned out awesome.

• Like 2

I made a vegan lasagna pizza. It's just a pizza when you're too lazy to make a crust. I used green and black olives, onions, and mushrooms. Instead of cheese I blended some tofu and nutritional yeast with soy sauce and onion powder. Pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce. All good! 

Trying to plan lunches rather than grab whatever to better utilize all of our food efficiently. So last night I made some sandwich bread and today I turned some left over roast chicken, chopped mixed vegetables from TJs, and some pesto I made with some basil that was turning and carrot tops into chicken salad sandwiches with leftover slaw as a side.

Dinner was spaghetti Alfredo because in a pandemic you don’t always get your choice of pastas and a salad with a pesto vinaigrette.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

On the quarantine diet!

Me, too:  chocolate for breakfast!

On 3/19/2020 at 5:49 PM, chessiegal said:

I went to the store yesterday and got alcohol, chocolate, and toilet paper.  Oh, and blueberries.  Tryin' to keep it healthy 😉

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Toilet paper! Wow. None to be found where I live.

Toilet paper...toilet paper...hmm. I have a vague memory of what that is.

• Laugh 2

For lunch I made some tomato soup with some tomatoes I canned last summer and served it with grilled cheese.

Dinner was a Knoephla soup with the last of the roast chicken. 

And I had some pie scraps in the fridge so used them and the guava jam I made to do a riff on Cuban guava and cheese pastries.

• Like 1

We had crab cakes and steak fries for dinner tonight. Our local seafood market has asked everyone to phone in orders to minimize the time people are in the store. Liquor stores are asking people to phone in orders and they will bring it to your car. The governor has closed all malls and non-essential services. Thank goodness it doesn't include liquor stores. Interesting that grocery stores are running out of tonic water

Tomorrow will be grilled hamburgers.

I made a big order from Omaha Steaks that should arrive soon. No idea for dinner beyond tomorrow.

My youngest stepdaughter that lives over 1,000 miles away scolded me for going to the grocery store after I posted a picture on FB showing our Safeway had put blue tape markers on the floor at check out lines showing 6 feet of social distancing , saying I should stay home. I asked her what I was supposed to do for food? No one but Domino's delivers to our address.

Tonight will be grilled brats ("imported" from MI😉) & burgers, plus leftover incredibly delicious potato salad (secret ingredient turned out to be a larger than usual amount of horseradish). 

Will there ever again be shelves full of TP???

On 3/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, chessiegal said:

Toilet paper! Wow. None to be found where I live.

Costco had a veritable mountain of Kirkland brand toilet paper this afternoon.  I also got eggs, bread and M&M’s.  I got one of their rotisserie chickens for dinner and mini chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  

3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Costco had a veritable mountain of Kirkland brand toilet paper this afternoon.  I also got eggs, bread and M&M’s.  I got one of their rotisserie chickens for dinner and mini chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  

What area of the country do you live in? I don't live near a Costco (35 minute drive), but am near a Sam's. I've read there are lines outside as they control the number of people in the store. I'm trying to avoid crowds, and won't go there unless I know they have toilet paper.

We have been very fortunate because we have several convenience stores/small independent markets in our neighborhood and haven’t had an issue finding anything and now all the main stores have evened out and it’s easy to find things there as well (well according to my boyfriend, friends and neighbors) I have only gone shopping twice in the past two weeks and that was to the farmers market where there are no lines, no problem keeping a distance and tons of vegetables.

Lunch was chicken salad on Bibb lettuce.

Dinner was chicken fajitas with all the fixings and some yummy black beans I forgot about that were in our freezer.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

What area of the country do you live in?

I live in West Michigan, near Grand Rapids.  I was at Costco at about 2:30 this afternoon and it was as empty as I have ever seen it.   I didn’t see anyone with more than one package of t.p. in their cart.  Bread was a little low, no flour, plenty of meat, cheese & veggies/fruits.

They had rearranged the handicapped parking and had all of the carts in the parking lot and were using the “garage area” where the carts usually are as the entrance, which was divided into two lanes, separated by stacks of pallets.  There appeared to be lines taped on the floor that led to the checkout area, which was staffed by a worker directing people to the next open lane.  (Only one way to the checkouts.) 

I found it odd that neither Costco or the local grocer had skim milk, but plenty of 2% and whole.  Also plenty of non-dairy milks.

Our Safeway has put blue tape on the floor at the check out lines to show 6 feet of distancing. Tonic water is in short supply, but the 2  small convenience stores and liquor stores have it. No toilet paper though.

Yesterday I had a craving for a Panera tuna salad sandwich. They were advertising free delivery, but not to me who lives 5 miles away. I ordered Rapid Pick-up. They moved the shelf to directly inside the door. I also got soup and chili that are in the fridge for today. Tonight will be leftovers.

Since time and days mean nothing anymore for lunch we had French toast and bacon with mimosas and dinner is full loaded nachos with the leftovers from last night.

• Like 6

I made a big amount of this with a lovely lettuce salad for the side dish. It was insanely delicious, I could not get enough.

we-tasted-buffalo-wild-wings-against-its

• Like 4

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yesterday I had a craving for a Panera tuna salad sandwich. They were advertising free delivery, but not to me who lives 5 miles away. I ordered Rapid Pick-up. They moved the shelf to directly inside the door. I also got soup and chili that are in the fridge for today. Tonight will be leftovers.

I absolutely love Panera's tuna salad sandwich--on the French baguette or whatever it is. Been thinking about it lately.  Maybe I'd better get over there before the lunch crowd arrives tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I absolutely love Panera's tuna salad sandwich--on the French baguette or whatever it is. Been thinking about it lately.  Maybe I'd better get over there before the lunch crowd arrives tomorrow.

It's on Ciabatta bread. Do Rapid Pick-up online so you can just go in and grab with no human interaction. When I picked up my order yesterday there was only 1 customer in the store that I didn't need to get near. MD has restricted restaurants to take out only.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's on Ciabatta bread. Do Rapid Pick-up online so you can just go in and grab with no human interaction. When I picked up my order yesterday there was only 1 customer in the store that I didn't need to get near. MD has restricted restaurants to take out only.

Thanks for the reminder.  I keep forgetting we're in lockdown (well, that's what it feels like).

Swiss Chicken (6 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a 9x13 Pyrex, top with 6 slices swiss cheese, smother with 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, top with salad croutons. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes), Rice Pilaf and frozen microwave California Blend veggies. Comfort food rocks during a pandemic.

• Like 3

Been basically eating two meals a day so earlier meal was steel cut oatmeal with coconut milk and roasted mango.

Dinner is going to be lamb shanks marinated in yogurt and mint with couscous and roasted asparagus. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

Last of the leftovers. I sautéed some asparagus and added it to chicken alfredo.

I'm so used to going to the grocery store almost every day, it is taking some discipline to only go when I need something. Tomorrow is the day.

I never thought I would have to worry about what my cat would eat. She's on a prescription diet, and after noticing that orders on Amazon were scheduled to arrive in 1-2 weeks rather than next day or two, I ordered her food from Chewy earlier than normal. Rather than the normal "will arrive in 2-3 business days" I got an email saying we'll let you know when it ships. Yikes!

• Sad 1

Sauted salmon in a little sesame oil and noodles in peanut sauce. I was going to visit Harris Teeter tomorrow but will wait for early Sunday morning. Less crowded, sure, but I hope there will be some groceries left in the store. I wonder if I'll ever see TP on the shelves again!!

• Like 2

Eureka!  While cooking Italian meatballs a little while ago, I came up with a good way to remember not to let them be crowded in the skillet (otherwise they'll steam).  I was careful to keep them socially distant 😉  Spaghetti & meatballs for dinner tonight.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4