Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

What Did We Eat Today?

I stopped at a small place that has a good reputation that I'd never been to before for breakfast. I didn't get anything fancy - just eggs sunny side up, scrapple, home fries, and toast with a mimosa.

I'm making vegetarian chili with Morningstar crumbles for dinner.

I love when I have no idea what I want for lunch and discover I have the ingredients for a simple and delicious lunch so was delighted to find out I could make a brie, ham, and Dijon sandwich on a yummy baguette we had for dinner last night.

Today is SantaCon which means my neighborhood will be taken over by drunken Santas and elves so will be making chicken and andouille gumbo and not leave the house. I remembered to use Cooks Illustrated method of browning the flour for the roux in the oven for 40-50 minutes so you get the flavor of a deep dark roux but aren’t spending active time on the stove. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I love when I have no idea what I want for lunch and discover I have the ingredients for a simple and delicious lunch so was delighted to find out I could make a brie, ham, and Dijon sandwich on a yummy baguette we had for dinner last night.

There's a chain of restaurants called First Watch that serves a delicious sandwich of ham, maybe Swiss cheese, slice of tomato, and Dijon on some kind of white bread and grill it.  It's  my favorite!

I put my husband in charge of reheating leftover chili on the stovetop.

Husband: When will I know it's hot enough?

Me: It should come to a simmer.

Husband: I see some bubbles. Do you think it's hot enough?

Me: Taste it.

Husband: Oh.

Me (under my breath): Oy.

• Laugh 7

I simmered some cabbage, andouille, carrots and potatoes with Cajun seasoning and homemade mustard in some chicken stock and that served it with some rustic whole wheat bread for a new bakery. 

I've discovered a quick-to-make supper--Bertolli's Chicken al Fredo with Penne. I needed to get something on the table fast and this was very good (of course it had some sauted baby bello mushrooms, a little garlic powder, Mural of Flavor, & some white wine added to it).  Think I'll keep a bag of this in my freezer for future quick-to-make suppers!

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've discovered a quick-to-make supper--Bertolli's Chicken al Fredo with Penne. I needed to get something on the table fast and this was very good (of course it had some sauted baby bello mushrooms, a little garlic powder, Mural of Flavor, & some white wine added to it).  Think I'll keep a bag of this in my freezer for future quick-to-make suppers!

Like anything else of that ilk, the Bertolli's frozen meals are heavy on sodium, and it's annoying how much less meat is included in each one now compared to when they first came out, but I, too, like to keep a bag in the freezer for when I don't want to cook but want something cheaper than delivery.  I like the chicken florentine & farfalle and shrimp penne & asparagus. 

Making a favorite chicken stir fry from an old WW cookbook - marinated chicken, asparagus, and green onions, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. I'll have mine over rice. My husband likes his over garlic angel hair pasta I buy at WF.

'

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans. While my mother was not much of a cook, this is something she would make, but the green beans would come out of a can (blech).

It’s a friend’s birthday so currently roasting a stuffed pork loin (chimmichiri, red peppers, olives, mortadella, and hard boiled eggs), serving it with extra sauce, roasted potatoes and green beans. Dessert is a chocolate cheesecake.

Two luscious huge scallops perfectly browned with garlic lemon butter noodles and a butter lettuce salad with artichoke vinaigrette dressing and mini heirloom tomatoes.

• Like 2

Made Cooks Country Spaghetti and drop meatballs. It wasn’t as good as my favorite it was decent enough for a weeknight meal, though will up the spice quotient next time.

Last night:  Our annual family holiday dinner.  Turkey breast, brisket, latkes (we're an interfaith, intercultural family), stuffing, salad, truffle mac and cheese and vegetables.  

Lunch today:  Okay, brunch.  Spinach salad with scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, smoked salmon and toast.

Dinner:  Leftover brisket and latkes (since it's the first night of Chanukah), salad, chicken fingers

• Like 2

Did a turkey with Helen Rosen’s cold oven method that she twitted about at Thanksgiving for our gift exchange dinner. Amazing with moist meat and super crispy skin, so delicious. Served with a radicchio salad, creamy mashed potatoes, gravy, challah, and roasted mushrooms with chocolate cream pie and assorted cookies for dessert!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

It’s our tradition to have appetizer dinner on Christmas Eve, so tonight was shrimp cocktail, hoisin meatballs, everything bagel seasoned dip with crudités, and pimento cheese puffs with caramelized onions. There was supposed to be mushroom and gruyere tartlets, but I got lazy.

• Like 3

Mustard glazed ham, hasselback potato gratin, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce leftover from Monday’s dinner, Brussels sprouts and radicchio salad with pomegranates and nuts (I had random roasted ones from various cookie recipes so had a variety), Parker House pretzel rolls, and a walnut tart.

• Like 1

Christmas dinner here was - thanks to Omaha steaks - bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon, mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits, and everything was SO DELICIOUS.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Or Hanukkah [I know that lasts a few more days]. Or, if you do not celebrate either, a nice Wednesday!

• Like 5

My brother-in-law sent us an Omaha Steak package with a variety of food. I'd forgotten how nice it is to have good food waiting in the freezer. We're having the last of the boneless pork chops done on the grill tonight. I thought I might have to brine them, but they were tasty and tender without the brine. 

• Like 1

We had cousins over for a slightly late Xmas celebration last night and I served grilled pork tenderloins, salad, and savory cheese Potato Gratins (Wegmans sells them).  Also Prosecco! We had individual Pavlovas with whipped cream and fresh fruit for dessert. I was a bit worried about the meringues coming out ok cause it was overcast and Mr. P914 said he saw some drizzle. But...they turned out beautifully.

On Christmas Day, we had dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Their potato-leek soup (appetizer) was the best soup I've ever had. I need to find their recipe or a copycat recipe (it was that good!) Their filet was so tender. I overheard a hostess say they relaxed their dress code for Xmas day. Good thing cause I saw almost every kind of outfit there that day!

• Like 1

Leftover Christmas ham is on the menu tonight here, too - pasta shells stuffed with spinach, ham, ricotta and parm are ready to go, and I just need to make the alfredo sauce and get everything in the oven (I know it's traditionally made with marinara, but I have to be in the right mood for a tomato-based sauce and I'm not).  No vegetable side tonight, but I'm munching away on my salad (mixed greens, avocado, and green goddess dressing).

I just put runsas in the oven. They are a midwestern German thing (I think). A slightly sweet dough stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, onions, and cabbage (all cooked) and a piece of American cheese. I made mine the size of a hamburger with bun, but I think next time I will make them slider-sized.

Tomorrow I’m making cassoulet. I splurged on the ingredients so I can make it as authentic as possible. 

• Like 1

On Saturday, my husband and I decided to order in Mexican.  I wanted to try a restaurant's vegan tacos and was unaware how spicy it was.  Let's just say my mouth was MORE than on fire.

Yesterday, we had the MOST DELICIOUS brunch at a fast casual place.  The ricotta toast - ricotta topped with berry preserve and hazelnuts - WOW WOW WOW!!!  Dinner, however, was leftovers thawed from the freezer and heated along with a fresh salad and roasted carrots.  Today?  More leftovers.  

Not feeling up to going out so tonight will be a lowkey night catching up on Watch,em but that doesn't mean we cant have a feast: tartlets with cream fraiche and caviar, roasted duck with orange and ginger glaze, roasted potatoes in some of the duck fat, broccoli rabe, brioche rolls, and a simple chocolate cake.

• Like 4

Cassoulet is delayed until tomorrow. Instead we had manicotti, salad and garlic bread. Later, sparking rose and some mini cheesecakes from Whole Foods.

• Like 3

I had picked up a P.F. Chang's frozen 'Chang's General Chicken' dinner to have for my NYE supper, but when I realized my local grocery had New York strip steaks for $4.98 lb., I had to go pick up some.  So, I had a steak, fries and Neopolitan ice cream for dinner. Chang can wait until another day.

• Like 6

I would have sworn I had a ribeye steak in the freezer from when I (over)stocked up last time they were on sale, but I'd have been wrong.  Boo.  I'm craving one, but I'm not going shopping on New Year's Eve to get it.  I'm pondering pork chops, but I don't have any kale or collard greens, and I really like to have greens with pork.  Maybe I'll do spinach and mushrooms.  Or I may just use the alfredo sauce I have left from my stuffed shells and make fettucine alfredo with chicken, spinach, and mushrooms, and save the pork chops for Thursday when I go the market and can pick up some greens then.

While I decide, the olives in my martinis will tide me over.

• Like 2

Tonight will be Swedish meatballs & gravy, mashed potatoes (I must confess--Bob Evans), tiny green peas, & pickled beets. Last night was Italian--Giada's lemon spaghetti with sauted shrimp. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Last night was Italian--Giada's lemon spaghetti with sauted shrimp. 

I just looked that up, and it sounds good (minus the capers, which I don't like).  I don't like traditional spaghetti, but get the occasional hankering for Aglio e Olio with shrimp.  Next time I do, I may try that lemon recipe instead.

• Like 1

Cassoulet was delicious but so rich! I’m guessing it’s from all of the duck and sausage. I also had a couple of cheesecake bites from Whole Foods. I’m pretty sure I’m done for the day.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I just looked that up, and it sounds good (minus the capers, which I don't like).  I don't like traditional spaghetti, but get the occasional hankering for Aglio e Olio with shrimp.  Next time I do, I may try that lemon recipe instead.

I'm making lemon spaghetti with lump crab meat I have left over from yesterday. Basically following Giada's recipe. I've done similar before, but this time I am actually going to fry the capers. I have some huge ones (Delallo) that will be excellent in this recipe!

• Like 1

Baked eggs with smoked salmon and crème fraîche with homemade english muffins and Bellinis for brunch.

Even though i am from Seattle my grandmother was from the south so hoppin john and collards are required to be eaten on New Years day. Every store was out of ham hocks so I am using smoked turkey thighs.

We're still working on our Omaha Steaks gift. Steaks and pork chops are on gone, so tonight we had grilled chicken breasts that I marinated in my favorite - olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and rosemary. They were so tender and flavorful I'm impressed with the quality of the Omaha Steaks meat - haven't had them in a long time.

My stepdaughter, raised in Alabama, posted on  FB she was starting with black eyed peas and collard greens. (blech says the girl raised in PA). I'm so glad her Dad doesn't ask for it.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My stepdaughter, raised in Alabama, posted on  FB she was starting with black eyed peas and collard greens. (blech says the girl raised in PA). I'm so glad her Dad doesn't ask for it.

My dad grew up having black-eyed peas and cornbread on New Year's Day, and that - along with cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving - is one of the nasty-ass family recipes my mom nicely makes for my dad each year.  (He's a terrible cook and she's very good at it, so she does almost all the cooking.)  I have not at all fond childhood memories of the kitchen stinking of those things all day as the crockpot did its thing.  Thankfully, we snacked all day long while watching bowl games, so my mom and I would just have a bit more of that for dinner (although I'd have a piece of cornbread, especially when I started making it and adding jalapeño to it).

I'm still a bit full from the football snacking (that's a tradition I carried on!), so I'll probably just have a salad for dinner -- I have some candied walnuts, so I'll make a simple arugula salad with the walnuts, shaved Parm, and balsamic vinaigrette.

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We're still working on our Omaha Steaks gift. Steaks and pork chops are on gone, so tonight we had grilled chicken breasts that I marinated in my favorite - olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and rosemary. They were so tender and flavorful I'm impressed with the quality of the Omaha Steaks meat - haven't had them in a long time.

As someone born & raised in Alabama for 3 years (or almost until I was 3, anyway... my brother, whose birthday was yesterday—NYE—was born where I now live & I’m 3 years & 5 months older than him), I’ll take the black-eyed peas (not to be confused with the rap music group), which look sort of like brown refried beans, with a black dot in the middle—think like a green olive with a pimento in the middle—& don’t really taste like anything, except some might be a little spicy, over collards any day (I’m not very into leafy greens, & every time there’s an E.coli or Listeria recall for any, that discourages me from trying them).

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To correct punctuation and spelling and add a comment.

13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm making lemon spaghetti with lump crab meat I have left over from yesterday. Basically following Giada's recipe. I've done similar before, but this time I am actually going to fry the capers. I have some huge ones (Delallo) that will be excellent in this recipe!

I’m a huge fan of those large capers. I have trouble finding them most of the time. I actually found them at Home Goods. I’ve been thinking about a picatta or puttanesca to begin using them. I’m also ok just putting some in a salad. 

• Like 2

I used to be able to buy "fresh" capers (in some kind of liquid) at Whole Foods and at Wegmans. Now neither store has them. Guess I need to find a mgr to find out why. They're much better, IMO, than the ones in jars (the brine or whatever they're in is not so strong). They were at the olive, pickle, etc., bar. When I made Giada's lemon spaghetti, I also fried some diced pancetta (removed the fat first). A reviewer had mentioned doing that & it was good.

• Like 2

Used the leftover duck to make duck fried rice and topped it with a egg fried in duck fat. My eating healthy resolution lasted about as long as it usually does!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Used the leftover duck to make duck fried rice and topped it with a egg fried in duck fat. My eating healthy resolution lasted about as long as it usually does!

Yum! That just reminded me I have a frozen duck breast in the freezer. I just may have to thaw that out in the next couple of days. I buy duck fat by the jar, cause I just love it so much!

Edited by Gramto6 · Reason: typo

The chatter about chicken piccata inspired me to use my last 2 Omaha Steaks chicken breasts to make it. I used Giada's recipe. It was good, but a bit too lemony. Next time I'll use less lemon juice. I served it with roasted asparagus and garlic angel hair pasta.

• Like 1

I made sweet potato soup with spicy "relish", a Bobby Flay recipe. The relish is small diced sweet potato, fried until crispy, along with some red pepper flakes. It's really good on the soup.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 1/1/2020 at 8:44 PM, chessiegal said:

So are you a pork and sauerkraut girl?  Very popular here in Eastern PA for New Year’s Day—pigs root forward in the dirt and are considered a “luckier” choice for the first meal of the year vs. chickens, who scratch backwards.  The hubs had a hankerin’ for pork and kraut a few days before the new year, so we had ours early and instead had ham and macaroni and cheese for New Year’s.

Tonight I’m making a pork tenderloin with tarragon carrots and a Dijon sauce. Later in the week we’re having creamy mushroom soup, and then a Tuscan chicken stew.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

So are you a pork and sauerkraut girl?  

Pork yes, sauerkraut no, at least not what my mother served. It stank to high heaven. When we were in Germany a few years ago, I had some that was wonderful. We have a fairly well known German restaurant 2 blocks away, owned by Germans, and I like their sauerkraut.

• Like 1