Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Egg rolls, pork & vegetable.  Not homemade because I don't know how nor have the time to make them.  Plus, it's been very muggy today so no one wanted to turn on the oven if we could help it.

• Love 2

New York strip steak with Trader Joe's coffee and garlic rub. Very...interesting. A surprisingly muted taste. Accompanied by stuffed mushrooms, because a friend of mine was asking for a stuffed mushroom recipe and Mom said she'd dig hers up for him, but only if I made some tonight.

• Love 1

Tonight I'm make sloppy joes (from scratch, but it's an easy recipe).  I double the recipe and freeze half, then I can just thaw it for a quick meal on days when I have to work the evening shift.  Along with the sloppy joes we'll be having spinach salad and baby carrots. 

• Love 1

I'm planning to make the dish Luca made with chicken thighs on the Rachael Ray show.  I want to try his method of just sticking the rice in the oven for half an hour.  I wish I'd noticed what he used for seasoning the chicken but I didn't so I'll wing it.

I'm making grilled pizza tonight.   The pizza dough I made a few weeks ago and froze, it's thawing now.   To made the pizza I grill some vegetables (red and orange peppers, Vidalia onions, zucchini) then chop then up and set them aside.   Then I roll out the pizza dough ( I like it pretty thin) and place directly on the grill.   It puffs up some, I just poke it down.   After a few minutes, when it's a nice light brown color in spots, I take it off the grill, bring it inside the kitchen and turn it over (cooked side up).  I sprinkle on mozzarella, then chopped tomatoes, then the chopped grilled vegetable.   Then I place it back on the grill, uncooked side down, and grill for a few more minutes (with the lid closed).   When the cheese melts and the bottom is brown in spots, it's ready. 

It's easy to make, but you do have to be there to watch it.  I've burnt the pizza in spots before when I went inside to get cool and wasn't watching the grill closely enough.  Fortunately, it's not supposed to get too hot today, so I'll be able to monitor the grill without any problems. 

• Love 2

I belong to a Monday women's reading group and we take the summers off, getting together once to check in and talk about the best date to start again.  We are meeting tonight and it's one of those "bring an ingredient or two for a salad" dinners and the hostess usually has other little things to eat as well (fruit, bread, etc) for a nice, light, cool meal (since it's 95 degrees these days and we eat outside by the pool--no cooking for us tonight).  We don't assign things to bring and I always wonder how it is that we never end up with 5 tomatoes and a cucumber and nothing else.  Anyway, I'm bringing some boiled eggs.  I usually stay away from the more obvious items. 

• Love 3

Fish tacos , adapted from a New York Times recipe.   I cut  tilapia into strips, dip in milk and then seasoned flour, and fry in canola oil, then put them in flour tortillas with shredded cabbage, salsa, and avocado.  

• Love 3

I'm having a big old salad tonight. Some bagged salad mixes I have in, cole slaw mix with shredded carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc. I'll throw some tuna in for protein. I like to chop up either pickles or hot pepper rings, very finely diced and added to the tuna with just a drop of mayo and then some of the juice from the pickles or peppers. 

That and a nice glass of wine because it's been one of those days!

• Love 3

Damn, @ALenore that sounds great.

So we had the crock pot pot roast from the A1 label Sunday, and it was really good, although the potatoes didn't seem to cook long enough.  We had plenty of leftovers so we had it again tonight, it seemed even better.  :)

• Love 2

Because I like to go to the gym after work, on Sundays (besides my big Sunday dinner which is lunch for the week) I cook 1 - 2 chicken breasts and a pound of ground beef. Then when I get home I can just add the already cooked protein to something quick like spaghetti or sloppy joes or the chicken on a salad or my standard go-to tacos. 

• Love 2

Because I like to go to the gym after work, on Sundays (besides my big Sunday dinner which is lunch for the week) I cook 1 - 2 chicken breasts and a pound of ground beef. Then when I get home I can just add the already cooked protein to something quick like spaghetti or sloppy joes or the chicken on a salad or my standard go-to tacos.

@joanne3482, I have a friend who precooks ground beef for recipes and then freezes it in bags. She can always make a quick dinner that way; tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, a quick chili, casseroles, etc.

Yes, @LuckyBitch that's it.

We made it in the summer because we didn't want the oven on.

Thanks @ Rick Kitchen. Mr. LB will be so happy when I finally make him pot roast. He does a lot of the cooking but he's never bothered to make it, probably because he knows I'm not crazy about it. But, I'm going to try that recipe soon.

Oh, I hear ya on using the slow cooker instead of the oven this time of year.

@BizBuzz, I hope you're feeling better today!

• Love 2

Pinto, Black, and Red Bean Salad with Grilled Corn and Avocado.  The only cooking I need to do is grill the corn and onion, takes about 12 minutes.  I chop tomatoes, avocados  and cilantro while that's cooking, then add it to a big bowl with canned beans and some olive oil and lime juice. 

• Love 3

Today is our daughter's 13th birthday and we said we'd take her out to the place of her choice.  Tonight, we're eating sushi--which is always scary because we can eat a lot of it and, as a result, always flinch when we get the bill :)

• Love 4

Pinto, Black, and Red Bean Salad with Grilled Corn and Avocado.  The only cooking I need to do is grill the corn and onion, takes about 12 minutes.  I chop tomatoes, avocados  and cilantro while that's cooking, then add it to a big bowl with canned beans and some olive oil and lime juice. 

Damn, that sounds good!

• Love 2

Today is our daughter's 13th birthday and we said we'd take her out to the place of her choice.  Tonight, we're eating sushi--which is always scary because we can eat a lot of it and, as a result, always flinch when we get the bill :)

@Shannon L. I hope your daughter had a great birthday!

Sushi is our go-to birthday and celebration dinner, even though the carb addict kid just likes udon noodles and sushi rice. But, yeah, it's definitely the most expensive dinner option.

@forumfish, we have one of those grill skillets. You mean the one that covers two burners on the stove? My husband loves it. You can flip it over for a flat side and he makes pancakes on there.

Edit: Oh, you mean just the grill pan? Yes, we have one too and that's what we cooked salmon on tonight. We use it all the time.

Tonight for dinner Mr. LB grilled, (indoor, on a grill pan), salmon with chopped sun-dried tomatoes and pesto. So freaking delicious! 

Edited by LuckyBitch

I absolutely love our grill skillet. I am convinced that all food tastes better with lines on it.

This gave me a real smile.  I don't often use my grill pan, because I live in a climate where I can charcoal grill most days of the year and I prefer that for most things, but however they're created there is something about those lines.

Hmm.. It is Friday night. I'll be picking the kids up from camp today at 4:00, which means I'm leaving work early, so Pizza sounds like a cop out.

I can get fresh corn, I already have a boatload of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in house. I have some chicken & sun dried tomato sausages in the refrigerator. I think I can figure something out with that group of stuff.

Anybody have a suggestion for a tomato salad?  I'm always looking for variations.

Anybody have a suggestion for a tomato salad?  I'm always looking for variations.

I love taking tomatoes, cucumbers and onions and mixing with a bit of lime juice, some chopped garlic, tons of cilantro and just a tad of Sambal Oelek for a kick (Thai Chili Paste), yum.

• Love 3

Hmm.. Two votes for garlic, which is something I don't do.  I probably should, as I have like 30 heads of it I just pulled out of the ground three weeks ago. 

Also, I like the chili paste idea. I have lots of hot peppers in the garden right now, and I might use one of those to add a little kick.  I've got basil on hand, but am short on Cilantro. I plant that late because I want it to be ready when I'm overwhelmed by tomatoes.

Anybody ever add watermelon into the mix?

Anybody ever add watermelon into the mix?

Watermelon is one of those things that are best eaten alone.  ::giggle::

However, and this might sound a little gross, but believe me, don't knock it till you try it:

Watermelon

Feta Cheese

Cilantro

Something mildly hot (for this I like serrano peppers)

Lime juice

I know it looks like it would suck, but there is such a contrast of flavors, with sweet/salt, crunchy/creamy, hot/sweet that it just works.

• Love 3

Since it's Friday, I'm having my usual wine, cheese and fruit spread, but because my husband's birthday is this weekend, I'm adding a few extra treats: Prosecco (Italian champagne), cognac, Ghiradelli chocolate and Tate's chocolate chip and butterscotch chip cookies.  (I've had Tate's chocolate chip cookies before, but I've never had the butterscotch, I'm looking forward to trying them.)

• Love 5

Today I made panzanella (bread salad). For dessert I made creme brûlée because it's my husband's birthday and that is one of his favorite desserts (his other favorite is German chocolate cake, but that was too much dessert for just the two of us.) 

• Love 3

Grilled chicken thighs and corn,zucchini,tomato,onion/garlic/jalapeños stir fry. The veggies I just cook together in olive oil till everything is soft and hot and I top with whatever cheese I have. Today was feta.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2