Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

You broke a granite pestle? I'm impressed!

I was bitten by a weird looking bug the other day so this may be the first step to me transforming into a super hero with superhuman strength!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Visiting family in Ca ate at a Vietnamese Restaurant for dinner. Ate the most amazing grilled pork belly so buns ever!  Also amazing hot sauces on the side! Tasted DIL’s grilled short ribs amazing! Then grand daughter’s grilled beef also amazing! I may have to move back...no, just visit more often! 😋

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Lunch: Qdoba Impossible burrito...brown rice, black beans, Impossible vegetarian ground "beef", peppers/onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, and cilantro. My husband is obsessed with all the Impossible and Beyond options that restaurants have been coming out with, so he wanted to try it out. It was decent. I like that Qdoba actually doesn't charge extra for guacamole. I also had a Diet Dr. Pepper for the first time in about 15 years...meh.

Snack: Honest Tea honey green tea...it was too sweet...I used to love this stuff back in high school though.

Dinner: We went to Target today and I got two 32oz stainless steel mugs for my smoothies (they were very affordable! https://www.target.com/p/zak-designs-30oz-double-wall-stainless-steel-tumbler/-/A-52542332), and also a pack of extra-wide silicone reusable straws (like bubble tea kind of straws: https://www.target.com/p/gosili-extra-wide-straws/-/A-54404537). So of course I had to make smoothies to try it out! It was unsweetened soymilk, plain whole-milk Greek yogurt, frozen mixed berries, fresh spinach leaves, Nutiva plain hemp protein, chia seeds, and cacao powder.

Anyway I'm really happy with my new smoothie delivery system. The straw fits really well through the opening in the mug's lid. I think silicone straws are the best kind too (the glass and metal ones disturb me). I could even drink this on the go if I have to get out in a hurry in the morning. And since I got two, I can prep smoothies for two days at a time (in fact I did prep an extra one for tomorrow).

Also in the summer I get dehydrated really easily, so as a tea addict, I often like to get 32oz of unsweetened iced tea from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks on the go. I was using a mason jar for that but it was annoying to drink on the go (having to screw and unscrew the lid all the time) and the outside sweated. This is going to be much better to use the 32oz mugs for that.

I had some white grapes mid-morning. We went to Panera Bread for lunch. I had their summer corn chowder with seeded roll - I just love their soups. My husband had a pick 2 with the chipotle chicken sandwich and their strawberry poppy seed salad with chicken. Dinner will be leftover sausage and mushroom pizza.

ETA: No cooking going on in this house today.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

Need to use up eggs and vegetables, so I made a huge frittata with onions, peppers, garlic, spinach, tomatoes, and 6 eggs.  This is so big and dense that it will make at least four meals (with Parmesan cheese on top and English muffins on the side). 

• Love 4

My urge for Chinese food yesterday ended up with Thai food of sorts tonight. The place we ordered Chinese take out from the last 9 years since we moved here went out of business several months ago. There is a small place a mile from our house that mainly serves Pho, but has other food. I called them yesterday, the phone never got answered. Then the phone said the had been disconnected, and I thought, oh no, they've gone out of business. So we ordered take out from a Thai place - combination appetizer platter. My husband got garlic shrimp. I ordered shrimp and scallops with snow peas and carrots. I'm still snacking on the appetizer platter, don't think I'll get to the entrée. We had to pass the pho place to get to the Thai place. Lights were on with "open" sign brightly lit. No idea what was going on with them yesterday.

Babysitting an 8 year old for a few days so I am having Her choose what she wants to learn how to cook, today it was chicken parm, pasta and steamed broccoli. We also made cookie dough after school so will bake them off for dessert. 

• Love 6

In my journey of accidentally making my bffs feel bad because when their daughter stays with me she tries to be both delightful and polite because they raised her right but she tries to show off when they are not around and be open to anything food wise to impress me because she knows I love food, I taught her to make falafel with all the fixings which she ate (including pickled turnip) and than condescended to her parents as if they didn’t know what it was in only a way that a child who complains whenever they make her eat a vegetable or try something different can do. So glad I am not a parent and only get the easy good parts! Well not all the good parts she did convince me to to take her to Dora the Explorer because she got 100 on all of her quizzes for her first two weeks of school and finished her weeks worth of homework by Tuesday.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I just had a small piece of low carb cinnamon raisin toast and quark (a cheese spread) for breakfast as well as a latte.  For lunch, I tried a new Indian place at a nearby mall.  It's supposed to be healthier, but it was really spicy.  They do bowls.  I had salad greens as a side, added tomatoes and cucumbers and my main was a tofu chickpea curry.  The salad wasn't spicy, but the curry was.  For me, anyway. 

We ordered Italian for dinner and it's about to arrive!  Eating family style and we're having linguini, meatballs, salad, eggplant, fish and other vegetables.  Dessert?  A chocolate hazelnut mousse cake.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Envious of those who can have take out delivered. The only food we can get delivered is Dominos pizza.

Have you checked into the delivery services online that seem to be everywhere now, i.e. Door Dash, Grubhub, and/or Uber Eats?

22 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Have you checked into the delivery services online that seem to be everywhere now, i.e. Door Dash, Grubhub, and/or Uber Eats?

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yep. No go. Price we pay for living in the sticks.

Yeah me too living in the sticks is great most of the time, but it does have its drawbacks sometimes. No taxis, busses, don't know what I will do when the time comes I can't drive any more. 

Envious of those who can have take out delivered. The only food we can get delivered is Dominos pizza.

It's nowhere near that bad at my parents' house, but there's only one good pizza place, one good Chinese, and two good Thai restaurants that deliver - but only the pizza place is open late (the Chinese restaurant will take delivery orders until about 9:45, but the Thai restaurants stop more than an hour before that).  I live about ten miles away, and it's a completely different world - I have at least one and usually several good options for just about every cuisine, and better hours with most.

It's never bothered them, as their natural state is to cook about 95% of the time, with most of that five percent consisting of eating out, and when I stay there kitty-sitting it's every other night for only one to four weeks, so it's no big deal to my temporary self.  But it would bug me full time; I cook about 85% of the time, but when I decide to order in it's almost always because it has grown late and I don't feel like cooking.  To be stuck with Pizza Hut and the like would frustrate me.

I had raspberry Oui yogurt with Grape Nuts added mid-morning. Washed down with raspberry sparkling water made in my new SodaStream that arrived yesterday.

For lunch, I had Panera's creamy chicken and wild rice soup with half a seeded bun.

For dinner, a variation of a WW recipe of sautéed zuchinni, shrimp, diced canned tomatoes, and thyme. I roast the shrimp ala Ina Garten - tossed with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, then add the cooked shrimp to the zucchini. I'll have mine over fried rice, my husband likes his over angel hair pasta.

Oui has become my favorite yogurt. I'm keeping the fridge stocked with various flavors these days.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had raspberry Oui yogurt with Grape Nuts added mid-morning. Washed down with raspberry sparkling water made in my new SodaStream that arrived yesterday.

For lunch, I had Panera's creamy chicken and wild rice soup with half a seeded bun.

For dinner, a variation of a WW recipe of sautéed zuchinni, shrimp, diced canned tomatoes, and thyme. I roast the shrimp ala Ina Garten - tossed with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, then add the cooked shrimp to the zucchini. I'll have mine over fried rice, my husband likes his over angel hair pasta.

Oui has become my favorite yogurt. I'm keeping the fridge stocked with various flavors these days.

What brand of soda machine did you get?  Are the bubbles really bubbly? (I know that sounds goofy...but I've heard that some machines don't do a great job in that respect).

6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What brand of soda machine did you get?  Are the bubbles really bubbly? (I know that sounds goofy...but I've heard that some machines don't do a great job in that respect).

I got a SodaStream. You can make it as fizzy as you like, depending on how many shots of CO2 you give it. It is really easy to use. I bought a package deal on Amazon that included 2 extra bottles, 2 flavor bottles, and 2 CO2 cartridges. One cartridge is supposed to make 60 liters. I just poured the last that I made 2 days ago, and it is still fizzy.

• Love 3

I got a SodaStream. You can make it as fizzy as you like, depending on how many shots of CO2 you give it. It is really easy to use. I bought a package deal on Amazon that included 2 extra bottles, 2 flavor bottles, and 2 CO2 cartridges. One cartridge is supposed to make 60 liters. I just poured the last that I made 2 days ago, and it is still fizzy.

Sounds good!! Thanks for this info' 😊

I put up a bunch of tomatoes this weekend and used the one jar that didn’t properly seal (there is always one!) to make a creamy tomato sauce with spicy Italian sausage over penne with a salad with homemade ranch dressing that I had made for a dip for fried pickles I made this weekend.

• Love 1

I have been cooking meals that are reheatable during the hurricane. A few neighbors have generators, but that doesn’t guarantee you get what you want (that can be a really good thing), but judging upon when Florence hit...I will be without electricity for a week to ten days. 

Cooked  all of the tomatoes we had into a sauce as it might be our last “fresh” meal. 

Yes, I know, but confused as to whether a post from last year popped up or Mindthinkr was referring to Dorian. If I had a second hurricane heading my way in as many years....

Friends of mine with a house on the Neuse outside New Bern had significant flooding from Florence that put them out for almost a year, including a powerboat landing on their garage, totaling the car inside.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Yes, I know, but confused as to whether a post from last year popped up or Mindthinkr was referring to Dorian. If I had a second hurricane heading my way in as many years....

It was comparing what happened during Florence to what could happen with Dorian.

Was going to make chicken chili but my friend is having a bad week (phone got stolen, they left her replacement phone without having anyone sign for it as she requested so it got stolen, she then fell and sprained her wrist) so switched out the chicken for soy chorizo, made some corn muffins, and brownie hot fudge sundaes for dessert.

I am not a morning person, and was skipping any food until lunch. I've decided I need to eat something before lunch time and am continuing eating yogurt 10-11 am. This morning I had a new yogurt that was on sale - "2Good" strawberry with grapenuts stirred in. It was okay, and I got my milk product in. For lunch I had a Safeway minestrone soup. It was also okay. Won't buy it again.

My husband can't eat today to prepare for a medical procedure tomorrow. I'm having shrimp with zucchini over fried rice for dinner.

I've been sick last 5 days coughing, sneezing and then laryngitis and no appetite. Finally today I can talk and maybe tomorrow I can eat again. I'm hankering for rib eye and potato salad, but not going to happen for a few days.

Melted cheese on 1/2 English muffin with tomato soup for dinner, baby steps... I.Hate.Being.Sick!!!

Since the 2 Asian places closest to us went out of business, finally got my Chinese fix today. Got hot and sour soup and Szechuan shrimp at a place in the same strip mall where I usually go to the grocery store. It was decent.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Since the 2 Asian places closest to us went out of business, finally got my Chinese fix today. Got hot and sour soup and Szechuan shrimp at a place in the same strip mall where I usually go to the grocery store. It was decent.

We've been on a major Asian kick lately but I prefer to make my own. Hot and Sour soup is a favorite for sure! I've been making a lot of dumplings lately and freezing them for dinner or a late night snack on the weekends. They are a lot of work but damn- so yummy! I've made Pho the past few weekends as well. I only eat one meal a day and like to make it count- lol! 

Since I only eat one meal I decided to make breakfast for dinner tonight-(I've been craving breakfast food lately) eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, etc. Hit the spot for sure! 

• Love 1

I made gazpacho for lunch and served with toasted focaccia bread. Dessert was peaches that were so juicy and sweet I’m wishing I had bought more. For dinner I’m making bacon-braised green beans, pretzel crusted chicken tenders with hot honey, and biscuits. Between my crazy work schedule this summer and the heat I feel like I’ve barely cooked anything in months. 

• Love 2

My boyfriend got a pack Beyond Meat become he wanted to try it so I made Shake Shack style cheeseburgers and fries. I liked the taste better than the Impossible burger I had at a restaurant but both the taste and texture were like that of a well done burger which I don’t enjoy. I may keep some on hands to try it in my vegetarian chili or some other dishes if my vegetarian friends want it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, biakbiak said:

My boyfriend got a pack Beyond Meat become he wanted to try it so I made Shake Shack style cheeseburgers and fries. I liked the taste better than the Impossible burger I had at a restaurant but both the taste and texture were like that of a well done burger which I don’t enjoy. I may keep some on hands to try it in my vegetarian chili or some other dishes if my vegetarian friends want it. 

I liked the taste of the Beyond Burger, but I thought the smell was unbearably repulsive. I would only cook them on the grill.

Bratwurst, steamed broccoli and small bites of potatoes fried until golden brown. Last night was (I know this is politically incorrect for some, but my beau hails from Italy and it’s a normal thing to eat over there) Osso Bucco, truffle risotto, asparagus and cannolis and Hennessy’s cognac for dessert. Oh, espresso too. 

Tomorrow I'm going to marinate a flank steak (soy sauce, olive oil, ginger and garlic) which is something he is wary of. Just something they don’t eat over there like baked potatoes. That’s such a staple in steakhouses here that I find it weird that they never eat them. So the steak...hmm...what to go with it? 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bratwurst, steamed broccoli and small bites of potatoes fried until golden brown. Last night was (I know this is politically incorrect for some, but my beau hails from Italy and it’s a normal thing to eat over there) Osso Bucco, truffle risotto, asparagus and cannolis and Hennessy’s cognac for dessert. Oh, espresso too. 

Tomorrow I'm going to marinate a flank steak (soy sauce, olive oil, ginger and garlic) which is something he is wary of. Just something they don’t eat over there like baked potatoes. That’s such a staple in steakhouses here that I find it weird that they never eat them. So the steak...hmm...what to go with it? 

Make it a real deal American meal: the delicious flank steak, baked potatoes (w/ choice of butter, or sour cream & chives) and a tossed salad with ☺ Italian dressing!  

• Love 2