Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Thanks for the good wishes. My husband had a good night's sleep plus a nap today. He's having trouble keeping food down. I filled a prescription this morning to help with that. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes.

• Love 5

The prescription meds for nausea for my husband are working. Today he's had Cheerios, a FibreOne bar, some tomato soup with saltines, and some cheddar cheese on Triscuits. He's feeling better, and I'm sure some of that is just getting some food into him.

• Love 9

Woke up early and made sourdough pancakes from my starter discard and made a huge batch and froze them so I don’t have to get up early to make them again for awhile. Served them with a blueberry compote and homemade breakfast sausage.

We have a lot of leftovers from our chicken Tinga tacos so it’s going to be over the top loaded nachos and a corn salad for dinner. 

(edited)

Ribeye steak, golden beets and lemon butter noodles for dinner. I discovered a way to really infuse the noodles with lemon. I threw 1/4 already squeezed lemon, rind and all, into the pasta water that I cooked the noodles in. Very lemony!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Using the last of my homemade kimchi, need to start a new batch, to make Kimchi Soondubu Jjigae a Korean tofu stew. I love San Francisco because July is still stew weather! 

A thunderstorm toppled a tree onto power lines about 6 pm last night. We ate the last of ice cream in the freezer. Finally got power back about 3 am. We are on a well so no water when the power goes out.

Yesterday I started making just over 20 pounds of pork sticks for our annual "Family and Friends 4th of July Beach Party".

We had to do a taste test so Hubs grilled up a few to have for dinner. Had that with papaya salad and sticky rice.

I gotta finish threading meat onto sticks today.

• Love 3

Our dock at the marina is having a potluck. Friends told us to come and not worry about bringing food as there would be plenty, but it is just too hot. The grill master is making us hamburgers.

Off topic, we've had a lot of drownings in the last week. At least 4 people falling off piers or boats. At 2 am this morning, 2 people went out on jet skis on our river, and rammed into navigational aids and died.

Have people staying for the holiday weekend so doing a pizza bar tonight with a ton of toppings to choose from, a big salad and a blueberry crumb cake and a sundae bar with a few ice creams that I made and other toppings. 

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My sweet husband took me to one of my fav places for lunch where we had shrimp tacos. We both brought home left overs - supper solved.

Glad hubby seems to be feeling and eating much better!

• Love 1
(edited)

I got home and had no idea what I wanted for dinner but watched an ep of Simply Ming where the guest made a quick twist on beef stroganoff using ground beef, mushrooms and sambal olek, since I had all the ingredients I made that over butter noodles and a salad. It was quite tasty and quick so will definitely have it on the rotation of quick meals.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Made burgers to use up some ground beef and some homemade hamburger buns that were so yummy that I took two bites before I realized that I had forgotten to put my burger on after I had put on the accompaniments! 

• LOL 5
(edited)

I have a total "first-world problem" now...I started taking Brazilian jiu jitsu. In addition to that I've been walking 3 to 4 miles a day since I don't have a car. So my TDEE has shot up to maybe 2800 calories a day and...how is it even possible to eat that much? Especially when it's 90 degrees out and not only do I have little appetite, but cooking is a sweaty and gross experience. So here is my attempt to eat enough calories today....

Breakfast: Whole-wheat English muffin with salted butter (not a lot of food, so as not to get nauseous while working out)

Snack: NuGo Slim chocolate peanut butter plant-based protein bar

Lunch (local diner): Huevos rancheros (two sunny side up eggs, soy chorizo, black beans with cheddar, corn tortillas, home fries, pico de gallo), a bowl of split pea soup with crackers, and unsweetened iced tea...this was so much food and I could barely finish it

Dinner: Another whole-wheat English muffin with 1/4 avocado, nutritional yeast, and black pepper; a salad of arugula, radish greens, radishes, red bell pepper, cucumber, and another 1/4 avocado.

Dessert: Snickers creamy peanut butter and almond butter bars, Teas' Tea unsweetened jasmine green tea...yes this is unhealthy but I didn't have much appetite for anything else

And I think I was STILL short on calories because I estimated it at 2550...hopefully my appetite will come back more when the weather cools down.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

My appetite came back today!

Breakfast: Some leftover Chex Mix that needed to be finished off (not going to buy again, it is so ridiculously salty) and then a healthy smoothie consisting of: plain whole milk yogurt, unsweetened soymilk, frozen mixed berries, chia seeds, and cacao powder. I don't think I ever put yogurt in a smoothie before but I had to use up this yogurt and it was pretty good.

Lunch: Amy's Organic southwestern burrito (my favorite Amy's Organic burrito which has pinto beans, corn masa, and Monterey Jack cheese among other things); a whole-wheat English muffin with the other avocado half from yesterday, nutritional yeast, and black pepper; two apricots; Teas' Tea unsweetened jasmine green iced tea.

Dinner: I made a "summer salad" of pearled barley, tofu, boiled yellow zucchini, red bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and a homemade dressing (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, black pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder). Along with this I had some rotisserie chicken (the precooked kind from the store -- I don't cook raw poultry because it grosses me out) and boiled corn on the cob with butter. The summer salad turned out pretty good. I think I will make a lot of variations on this in the future.

Dessert: Banana chocolate chip Larabar, another Teas' Tea unsweetened jasmine green iced tea.

1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

My appetite came back today!

Breakfast: Some leftover Chex Mix that needed to be finished off (not going to buy again, it is so ridiculously salty) and then a healthy smoothie consisting of: plain whole milk yogurt, unsweetened soymilk, frozen mixed berries, chia seeds, and cacao powder. I don't think I ever put yogurt in a smoothie before but I had to use up this yogurt and it was pretty good.

BUYMOREANDSAVE:  You really do eat healthy foods!  I've always put some yogurt in my smoothies (either plain or vanilla yogurt, some orange juice, some frozen oj concentrate, some pieces of champagne mangos or papaya, and sometimes I sneak in a little low fat vanilla ice cream).  I use the frozen concentrate in lieu of ice cubes as I think they'd bust my new little smoothie blender.  Lately I've been trying to create a lowfat, lower sugar alternative to Starbucks Strawberries & Cream frappucino. No success yet.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

BUYMOREANDSAVE:  You really do eat healthy foods!  I've always put some yogurt in my smoothies (either plain or vanilla yogurt, some orange juice, some frozen oj concentrate, some pieces of champagne mangos or papaya, and sometimes I sneak in a little low fat vanilla ice cream).  I use the frozen concentrate in lieu of ice cubes as I think they'd bust my new little smoothie blender.  Lately I've been trying to create a lowfat, lower sugar alternative to Starbucks Strawberries & Cream frappucino. No success yet.

LOL, I try. If I eat really unhealthily I usually won't post on here though 🙂 Posting here also helps motivate me to eat healthier for some reason. That smoothie recipe sounds pretty good. I also don't put ice in my smoothies because I don't want to break my blender -- it makes scary enough sounds just blending the frozen berries. I didn't even know Starbucks had a Strawberries and Cream frappucino!

• Love 1

My daily breakfast smoothie is 1/2 cup mixed fruit (oranges, frozen blueberries, bananas) and 1/2 cup yogurt (full fat or low fat, no gelatin) plus honey.  Kind of boring but easy to drink when I'm not hungry at 5 a.m., and the doctor is happy about a daily dose of blueberries plus citrus.

• Love 2

So my basil plant has been prolific so far this year, (as have all of my herbs in pots, parsley, mint, dill, and I'm about to get some cilantro started) so I've been cranking out a lot of pesto.

I discovered that if I cut up some boneless chicken breasts, toss them in a plastic bag with a tablespoon or two of pesto and then cook them over indirect heat on my grill, that my son will inhale it. Last time I gave it to him it was sliced on a roll with fresh mozzarella and roasted red peppers. It's a really nice sandwich. I'll probably do that for dinner tonight. Side will be simple, maybe some kettle chips and a big slice of watermelon. Very summer Friday night kind of stuff.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Rescue Mama said:

What is summer spaghetti? 

It's 1 lb diced Roma tomatoes, diced mild onion, about 6 diced green olives, minced garlic, 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup light olive oil, a little kosher salt & fresh light ground  black pepper, & minced parsley. I also sprinkle about a tsp sugar over this. Mix it up and put in fridge for several hours. Serve over hot spaghetti or vermicelli. I can post recipe tomorrow with the exact amount of ingredients (I was guessing here ☺) 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It's 1 lb diced Roma tomatoes, diced mild onion, about 6 diced green olives, minced garlic, 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup light olive oil, a little kosher salt & fresh light ground  black pepper, & minced parsley. I also sprinkle about a tsp sugar over this. Mix it up and put in fridge for several hours. Serve over hot spaghetti or vermicelli. I can post recipe tomorrow with the exact amount of ingredients (I was guessing here ☺) 

Sounds yummy.  Thank you.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That sounds good. I have to try that sometime although I would also probably put bell pepper and artichoke hearts in it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Most of this is leftovers, but I thought my dinner today looked aesthetically pleasing and seasonally appropriate so I took a picture LOL. Aforementioned barley-tofu salad and corn on the cob leftovers; whole wheat English muffin with butter; and an experimental salad of arugula, watermelon, and grapes (it was pretty good).

0713192234-1.thumb.jpg.ed8add34ce396b6c5ebdb7ae0a626e2a.jpg

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Most of this is leftovers, but I thought my dinner today looked aesthetically pleasing and seasonally appropriate so I took a picture LOL. Aforementioned barley-tofu salad and corn on the cob leftovers; whole wheat English muffin with butter; and an experimental salad of arugula, watermelon, and grapes (it was pretty good).

0713192234-1.thumb.jpg.ed8add34ce396b6c5ebdb7ae0a626e2a.jpg

Oh my that looks yummy!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2

I've had California roll sushi and some white grapes. Grilled rib eye steaks with baked potatoes and asparagus for dinner. Since it's a balmy 97 degrees outside, I doubt we'll be eating on the back porch.

• Love 1

Mushroom and artichoke frittata with a simple salad of some yummy heirloom tomatoes I got at the farmers market with a bunch of herbs and a homemade red wine vinegar I made and olive oil.

We have a cleaning service that comes every 2 weeks, and we never know who they will send, and they usually arrive around 1 or 2 pm. Today 1 woman came at 11 am, so we decided to take a drive and go to the new restaurant at our marina for lunch. My husband had a crab cake sandwich. I ordered Maryland crab soup. which is tomato based with lots of veggies in addition to crab. I was expecting a cup, but it was a huge bowl loaded with veggies and crab. They also had a tomato salad special that I ordered - 4 thick slices with feta and some shredded greens on top with balsamic vinegar. I brought them home. We're having hamburgers tonight so I think a slice will go nicely on the hamburgers.

• Love 1