Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I love these kinds of threads.  They give me so many ideas.

My dinner this evening will be scrambled eggs with my homemade salsa on top, couple of slices of bacon, and Spanish rice with a bit of melted cheese, more salsa and a dollop of daisy.  A few slices of pickled jalapenos on the side.

I actually love breakfast for dinner.

• Love 6

Beef loin, sautéed with onion in a sweet bourbon sauce, served over Jasmine rice. Corn on the cob. Yum.

Would love a recipe for the sweet bourbon sauce @Mya Stone - and if you know if I could make it without a whiskey, I have to be gluten free ... so would a vodka or gin work?

So I am the only one who can cook in a household of broke grad students/recent grads and it usually falls to me to do the dinner thing. (If you need eighty bazillion ways to cook chicken, I'm your gal!) But I'm looking for some other ideas. Preferably turkey or beef. We don't really eat much pork or veggies. 

It's not really a recipe, but since I'm trying to be a little calorie conscious, I must recommend the Weight Watchers New Classics Cookbooks. There are lots of great ideas and recipes and what's nice is it has the nutritional information, which makes it easier to plan. Currently my favorite trick that is using chicken stock or veggie stock to replace oil where possible. It really cuts down on the calories (perfect for pesto or for marinades) and I haven't noticed a taste difference. 

• Love 2

I can't have blue cheese because of the penicillin. I don't mind the smell or taste of it at all, but I love other cheeses way more. I love cheese in general. 

• Love 1

Tonight I'm either going to make spicy jambalaya, or grilled shrimp.  Jambalaya is great for left overs (it's just me here), but I lurve shrimp.  But (again) my jambalaya would have chicken, sausage and shrimp.  But with the shrimp, I cook it (to nearly done) separately and add it to each serving as needed so it doesn't get over cooked and rubbery.   Hmm...  I think the jambalaya is winning out since I can just cook extra shrimp.

@BabyVegas have you done a turkey or beef chili?    How about tacos?  Maybe beef kababs (but those usually have veggies).  What kinds of cuts are you talking about?  Turkey tenderloin?  turkey breast?  ground turkey?  Beef steaks?  roasts? etc?  I don't want to brainstorm options on cuts you'd never buy.

• Love 2

Gonna cook up some turkey Italian sausage on the grill. While that's cooking, I'll boil up some pasta, and I'll toss in some broccoli into the water at the end there, drain it out and toss it with some olive oil and grated cheese. At about that time the sausage should be done, and I'll slice that up and toss it into the pasta. Ends up being pretty good and the kids don't seem to mind the broccoli this way.

• Love 2

You people are way fancier than I ever am. :) It's just me too so my Sunday night dinners are the ones with leftovers in mind. Tonight it will be beef tacos (maybe) from beef taco meat I made Sunday. Or maybe taquitos. 

• Love 2

I thought we were having chicken "burgers" with spinach and feta. But I have just been told we are going to the mexican place instead. No complaints other than I am trying to do slow carb and I will really want some chips. 

• Love 4

I was on a business trip for 3 days (Sunday was a travel day) and I just wanted to veg at the end of each day. But after 2 nights of room service, I forced myself to go out. I wandered into this faux-British pub with a good beer list, and since they have fish and chips at half price on Tuesdays, that's what I had. The only thing that was remarkable about the meal was that I had the coolest waitress I've ever encountered. She's young enough to be my kid, but she was friendly without being intrusive. Since it was early and she wasn't very busy yet, we had the best talk about work, how you decide what to do with your life, visiting friends who've moved away, social media, etc., etc., etc. The food was good enough, but she made the meal special.

DH is gone on a business trip of his own, so tonight I'm ordering in pizza, then tomorrow I'm going food shopping. I feel like I haven't cooked in too long, which is too bad since it relaxes me, but I don't want to think about food very much tonight.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm making these shrimp tacos with mango slaw that I could eat weekly and not get sick of.  Right now I'm enjoying a pre-dinner margarita. 

I don't use a bagged slaw mix, so if I happen to only have cabbage when I get the urge to make this and thus can't make a proper slaw, I do it with just cabbage and it's plenty tasty.

I also use real corn tortillas, because those pre-made things freak me out. 

And I cut the recipe down quite a bit.

But, still - the basic idea = YUM.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I'm making these shrimp tacos with mango slaw that I could eat weekly and not get sick of.  Right now I'm enjoying a pre-dinner margarita. 

Thanks for this, it's going on my list for next week!  I can't do corn, so I am thinking just some grilled shrimp and that slaw recipe with some fried wild rice on the side, doesn't that sound delish?  It does to me!  ::giggle::

If you want to see what I had for breakfast, lookie here. ::giggle::

A friend of mine has had a bumper crop of the most awesome tomatoes, so I have been making salsa for everyone!  These tomatoes are the kind that make kick butt tomato/mayo sandwiches, and if I ate bread, that is what I would be doing with them.  HA!

I love me some salsa, on everything.  Even salsa on tomatoes.  LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight I 'm making Asian Grilled Pork Chops, paired with Awesome Asian Slaw.

I've made both several times and I've changed both recipes a bit. For the pork chops, I like to use bone-in because they're juicer. As far as the marinade, I add more garlic, (about 3 or 4 cloves), because we love garlic. I also use fresh grated ginger, (one teaspoon), and I add some sliced green onions. And because we like a little heat, I add 1/4 teaspoon chili oil to the marinade.

For the slaw, I no longer bother with chopping the carrots, peppers, and cabbage. That shit takes forever, so I just use the bagged cole slaw now. Also, I use crunchy peanut butter because I like the texture of the crushed peanuts in the slaw. I add some more flavor and a bit of heat by cutting the the canola oil in half and using one tablespoon of sesame oil and a teaspoon of chili oil.

I'm going to make the pork chop marinade soon and let the chops marinate in the fridge all day. Then, I'll make the dressing for the slaw and refrigerate it all day. I'll mix it up with the cole slaw about a half hour to an hour before we're ready to eat. Doing it any sooner makes it too soggy. I'm going to do all the work soon and then dinner time will be easy, especially since I'll have my husband throw the pork chops on the grill. 

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3

In my (farm) family, dinner is what you eat at midday, and supper is what you eat in the evenings. ;)

The best part of telecommuting is getting to go to my mama's sometimes for dinner. Today was spare ribs, new red potatoes, fresh sweet corn, and boiled cabbage. Plus some tomato slices for color. Everything except the iced tea, salt, and pepper were grown right there on their farm.

Now I need a nap. lol

• Love 4

In my (farm) family, dinner is what you eat at midday, and supper is what you eat in the evenings. ;)

So what did you have for dinner? Hehe.

Like I said, it may be supper or the last meal, but I thought this topic could be for all things. To be honest, I love breakfast/brunch the most myself. 

The last of a chick pea salad I made from Budget Bytes wrapped in a tortilla.  I am not a vegetable lover but I am making a concerted effort to eat more of them if only to counterbalance the Milky Ways.  The zucchini, summer squash, carrot and spring onions will make me feel very virtuous.

• Love 2

So what did you have for dinner? Hehe.

Like I said, it may be supper or the last meal, but I thought this topic could be for all things. To be honest, I love breakfast/brunch the most myself.

Ha! Just clarifying that I'm eating dinner at noon, and I'm not on the other side of the world where it's already evening.

Oooh, I love breakfast food, too, although I hardly ever eat it in the morning. No time for much beyond cereal. But I love an omelet or quiche for a tasty light supper.

• Love 1

I'm really boring, but I love simple breakfasts during the week: steel-cut oatmeal with a dash of milk or maple syrup. Maybe a piece of fruit on the side. A soft boiled egg as well. Most prep for the oats are done the night before. I get fancier for weekend breakfast which is really just brunch. I don't eat much of a lunch. 

• Love 1

My typical breakfast - which I did not have today, because cold pizza for breakfast trumps all - is a berry smoothie made with honey Greek yogurt and skim milk. 

For dinner tonight ::winks at @photo fox :: I am having a salad and making Caesar pasta. Caesar pasta is smashed anchovies, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan mixed together, heated, and mixed with spaghetti and a bit of the leftover pasta water. It's easy and I consider it comfort food.

• Love 1
(edited)

I only eat a proper breakfast on the weekends; during the week it's a glass of milk and a bowl of fruit in spring/summer or steel cut oatmeal in fall winter.  And at my desk, because I am not hungry until I've been up for awhile (and I do not get up any earlier than I absolutely have to -- I loathe mornings).  On weekends, it's a Bloody Mary or two, bacon or sausage and then usually some sort of egg white dish (not for health reasons, as you can see from the bacon or sausage, but because I have a lifelong hatred for egg yolks) or sometimes pancakes or French toast.  That's usually during football season, when I intend to spend the day sitting down. 

Tonight, I'll probably just make a stir fry to use up some of these veggies -- vegetable medley, chicken or shrimp, some sesame oil and freshly-grated ginger.  Oh, and garlic.  Because everything is better with garlic.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Because I'm not crazy about cooking, my breakfasts are always simple.  Cereal--I love cereal, especially with a banana in it.  I love different brands, too, although I usually stick to either Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies.  My mom didn't do big breakfasts, either, but, oddly enough, we'd occasionally dine on waffles for dinner (supper!  We always said 'supper', too, until I moved to CA and everyone looked at me like I was crazy.  After all of these years living here, it's 'dinner' now :)

I'll be in a big hurry tonight, so I'll just do spaghetti from a box, sauce from a jar (I love Classico brand) and Parmesan out of a bag.   I throw some spinach into the sauce and I may stop by the store and pick up some french bread if I have a few extra minutes.  Italian food--I don't think there's such a thing as too much Italian!  Red sauce, white sauce, meat sauce, cheeses, pasta, breads, pizza....homemade or from boxes, jars, or prepackaged in the refrigerated section....whatever.  I lived on spaghetti once as a poor, struggling 20 year old and I'm still not sick of it.

• Love 5

My mom didn't do big breakfasts, either, but, oddly enough, we'd occasionally dine on waffles for dinner

My mom and I used to have waffles for dinner when my dad was out of town; he's not a big fan of them for breakfast, let alone dinner.  I still do that every once in awhile -- there's something about eating them at night that makes them taste even better.

• Love 1

My friend is an amazing chef in Washington DC and just launched his own brand of hot sauce. He sent me two bottles of the red and one of the green so it's taco night!

Ground Chuck seasoned with chorizo or tequila lime chicken tacos, to be exact.

• Love 3

Caesar pasta is smashed anchovies, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan mixed together, heated, and mixed with spaghetti

I'd never heard of Caesar pasta but that sounds like something I'd really like.  What are the proportions?  Would anchovy paste also work?

• Love 1

When we were kids, my mom made pancakes every Sunday morning (my dad made the two of them sausage/bacon and eggs every other morning, and we kids did cereal).  But somewhere about ten years ago she decided pancakes are "too sweet" for breakfast, so now she makes them for supper.  lol

• Love 1

I'd never heard of Caesar pasta but that sounds like something I'd really like.  What are the proportions?  Would anchovy paste also work?

I would think anchovy paste would work. This came from a cookbook called The Improvisational Cook.  I have always improvised, but this cookbook helped me stretch my mind a bit more. While this is the only actual recipe I use from it, I consider it one of my favorite cookbooks.

I don't measure anything when I make this, but I use a single tin of anchovies and 2-3 cloves of garlic every time, plus as much Parmesan and freshly ground pepper as I feel like. And I eyeball the olive oil. 

• Love 1

I don't measure anything when I make this, but I use a single tin of anchovies and 2-3 cloves of garlic every time, plus as much Parmesan and freshly ground pepper as I feel like. And I eyeball the olive oil.

I don't have any Parmesan on hand but I'm going to try this as soon as I can get to the store.  Thanks.

I like to boil my pasta in chicken bouillon (don't need the salt), it gives the pasta a little extra something.  Maybe it's just me.  :)

One of our favorite side dishes is pasta cooked in chicken bouillon, then mixed with a little butter and a lot of Parmesan cheese! 

I like to boil my pasta in chicken bouillon (don't need the salt), it gives the pasta a little extra something.  Maybe it's just me.  :)

When I make therapeutic chicken soup to address colds or other respiratory gunk, I toss in a handful of orzo for texture and err on the side of overcooking the pasta. I also add a drop or two of hot sauce to open up the sinuses - and that really works!

• Love 3

Fridays are my Wine/Cheese/Fruit day.   I baked a baguette yesterday, and tonight while my husband cuts and toasts the bread, I make up platters of cut up fruit and cheese, (varies with the season) Tonight we're having strawberries, pineapple, grapes, apples and cherries.   I set out  hummus (left over from last week)  with cut up strips of red pepper and brocolli.   I make bruscetta with the toasted baguette, tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil.   Then we sit down in the living room to eat our repast, drink wine, and watch Drunk History.

• Love 6

We're going to grill some Harvestland Florentine Chicken Burgers. I skip a roll and top it with some Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole. Although, I just noticed a serving suggestion for the chicken burgers on Harvestland's website and I think I'll try that next time: "For a fabulous grilled panini, layer burger, roasted red pepper, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar between bread slices. Brush with olive oil and grill."

I have some broccoli crowns that need to be cooked, along with some red, yellow, and orange peppers that also need to be used soon. So, I'm slicing up the peppers into strips and tossing them with the broccoli on a baking sheet with a little olive oil and garlic, and roasting them in the oven (my favorite way to cook veggies).

Btw, I also recommend Harvestland's Chicken Sausage, especially the Italian with Peppers and Onions. Actually, the Creamy Feta Cheese and Spinach ones are great too.

Okay, now I'm hungry...

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3

Tonight I'm having grilled spice-rubbed whole chicken, grilled red potatoes, and tomato-basil salad, made with a whole variety of different tomatoes I bought at the local farmers' market this morning.  

• Love 2

I haven't decided what to take out for tonight's main course yet, but I will also be making a tomato medley salad: four varieties of tomatoes (all different colors, too, which makes for a pretty salad as well as a tasty one), avocado, cucumber, scallions and romaine, topped with some feta cheese and tossed with a lime-herb dressing (mint, marjoram, cilantro and jalapeño with olive oil and lime juice).

• Love 2

Last night I grilled pork chops that had been marinating in a rosemary, balsamic vinegar brine.  Tonight, I'm on my own, so I'm having spaghetti again  :)  If it wasn't such an expensive time of year, I'd go pick up some sushi (love the Rainbow rolls!), but, back to school shopping and all that.....so, spaghetti it is (which, as I posted above, is certainly fine with me.

• Love 1