Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Crab dip with crackers/baguette. I made it for a potluck last night, and am so glad some of it made it home. I have about 1/2 lb. of crab left over, and I thought about making some crab balls with it, but I'm feeling lazy today. Maybe tomorrow.

• Love 3

Happy birthday, biakbiak!  Went to a wedding tonight, so had salmon, mixed green salad and some squash. And oh, yeah - some yummy apps:  duck confit with a fig jam; tuna tartare, and a pig in a blanket.  We harvested our cabbage this morning because we might get a good amount of rain from Hermine, which could cause them to split; so tomorrow will be red cabbage with bacon and apples. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2016 at 9:05 PM, BooksRule said:

I made a pot of hot sausage jambalaya for lunch, and just heated up a bowl for dinner.  I was going to put some chicken in it, but decided to leave the chicken in the freezer for another day.  

Oh. I should NOT be reading this thread at 5:00 PM before I go home to cook, because now I want some version of this very badly. And I have no idea how to make that happen tonight.  

• Love 1

JTMacc99, my version of sausage jambalaya is probably not 'traditional', but it's tasty and very easy.  I usually do have to make a trip to the store, though, because I don't keep white rice on hand these days (I've mainly moved to brown rice) and I don't usually have sausage.  My version is to heat some oil in a soup pot, add however much uncooked rice you want (depends on how many you want to serve--I eyeball it) and lightly toast the rice.  While that's going on, I chop and add a large onion and some minced garlic (my recipe calls for some chopped green pepper as well, but I didn't have any and it tasted fine without it).  I dump a can of Rotel tomatoes and a can of whole tomatoes into a strainer over a large measuring cup to drain (I mash down on the tomatoes to get a lot of juice out).  I add the drained tomato mixture to the pot and then add water to the measuring cup so that you have twice as much liquid than rice.  Then I add the liquid along with some salt and pepper (some add some Cajun seasoning, but I think that the Rotel and sausage add enough flavor).  When it comes to a boil I turn down the heat to low and cover.  When I judge the rice to be about half done, add whatever kind of sliced sausage you like (I usually add Bryan--or similar brand--beef sausage).  A hot-flavored sausage is good, but my taste buds think that the can of Rotel (original 'heat') is hot enough.  Growing up, I remember my mom using those bright red 'hot links' as the sausage, but I haven't bought those in a long time.  When the rice is done, you're ready to eat.  As I said, not really traditional jambalaya, but I like it.  

Tonight's dinner is oven-BBQd chicken thighs, some oven-roasted whole okra pods, and green salad (and maybe a slice of the pumpkin cranberry bread I made yesterday for dessert).

• Love 3

Mmm, BooksRule, that sounds good! 

I made fajitas bowls for dinner. Peppers, onions and zucchini (because it needed to be used) tossed with homemade taco seasoning and roasted, pinto beans, jalapeño jack cheese, avocado, salsa and sour cream. It would have been better with tortillas - I am really missing carbs!

• Love 1

I'll be having shrimp cocktail, homemade cocktail sauce, saltines and watermelons.  The kiddos get hotdogs, french fries & watermelon.

I had hopes to make a shrimp roll, but my celery was too far gone.  So the rest of the stuff is made, I just need to add some celery tomorrow.  And I scavenged a few shrimp for dinner tonight.

• Love 1

I love shrimp cocktail and a green salad for dinner this time of year. It's semi-decadent, yet fairly healthy, simple to make, and very yummy.  But that may be another night; tonight is lentil and black bean soup, and I threw some chicken sausage into it just because. 

• Love 1

Per my son's request, today I am smoking some ribs. Since I use my kettle grill instead of an actual smoker, I just do the first hour or so on the grill, and then I put them in a foil covered pan and do the remaining 2 or more hours in my oven where I can control the low heat better. 

The house smells like a top flight BBQ joint when I do this, which is fun. 

Oh, St. Louis cut, Penzey's BBQ 3000 rub, apple wood on the charcoal for the smoke should you care. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

I went to an art reception at work this afternoon, and had some finger foods there, so I wasn't hungry when I got home.  I forced myself to go out and mow the lawn (we're supposed to get rain for the next several days, so this might have been my last chance for about another week), and I'm too hot, sweaty and thirsty to think about food right now.  Later, when I cool off and get hydrated again, I plan to have some Blue Bell ice cream for dinner (either Dutch Chocolate or Camo 'n Cream--I have a pint of both in the freezer).  If I want something else later, I'll fix a sandwich.  

• Love 2

Tonight it's an Infernal Sausage Sandwich, some spiced-up instant ramen, and raw carrots.

The sandwich is sort of a hot version of the polish sandwiches that Wienerschnitzel sells: A grilled hot link, pepper jack cheese, Dijon mustard, and some slices of pickled jalapeno, all on rye bread.

The ramen has added black pepper, Tabasco sauce, and cinnamon.

The carrots are plain. Because I like carrots.

• Love 1

So yesterday was just a pork loin and baked potatoes cooked on the grill with a side of peas.  Simple, good stuff.  The star of the day however was the apple pie I made during the Giants game. (They make me nuts, so I need to have something going on while I watch them like cooking, or laundry or sometimes I will listen on the radio while splitting firewood. That's the best one.) My thought process on the pie was that the McIntosh apples were available at the orchard that morning, so I had to quickly get rid of the remaining apples from last week still in the fridge to make room. And what better way than pie?

I fully admit to using Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust sheets, as it was a spur of the moment decision, but it still came out great. My son is a huge apple pie fan, so it's rewarding to see him practically licking the bowl clean.

I also picked up some Kirby cucumbers at the orchard, but decided not to pickle them at the same time the pie was baking. One does not simply ruin the smell of warm apple pie in the house. So I'll do that tonight after dinner.

51 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Fresh apples from an orchard? How cool! Great opportunity to make vinegar. It is so easy and once you do you willl never buy it again. And those Kirbys are fantastic for Bubbies pickles. 

Yes, there are many apple orchards around here in the Hudson Valley, two nice ones within 5 miles of my house. I try to go on the weekends, as that's when they have the apple cider doughnuts.  

I would have never thought to make my own vinegar. They have "seconds" by the sack full, which makes that idea feasible.  

And another thing I would have never thought to do is the Bubbies pickles. I was just going to make my usual refrigerator pickles. Actually, I probably will tonight and then attempt the brine method over the weekend giving me enough time to make sure I have the right jars to make this work.  

I'm from the Hudson Valley and every fall we'd visit orchards around our area (Dutchess County).  Picking apples off the trees was a big thrill for my sister & me. But I don't make apple pie totally from scratch...just can't make that crust (so I use Pillsbury's crusts--or make apple crisp!!).

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

- Attributed to E.B. White

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.

Hee! That's exactly what I would say. I had no idea that within New England there were more levels.

The other reason I made pie out of last week's apples is that raw apples make my throat all scratchy or worse.  Otherwise I would just do my job as the dad and eat them all myself like I do with any other fruit of vegetable that needs to be cleared out of the fridge. Once they're cooked, I'm good.

• Love 1

Dinner is a cheese stick. I now understand why people lose weight when they give up carbs. Food is so boring that I can't be bothered to eat. 

ETA - please ignored my bitching. I'm extra hateful today and should be quarantined.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 4

With the new season of NCIS comes the return of Souper Tuesday! Tonight is leftover TexMex casserole (rice, beans, RoTel and ground meat) that I put in the crockpot with a carton of chicken broth and a healthy shake of cumin and chili powder. Tortilla chips and cheese to accompany.

That sounds really good.  I made a pot of vegetarian taco soup this weekend and had some leftover for lunch.  I kept thinking that although it tasted okay, something was wrong with it.  I just realized (when I checked the freezer to find some type of frozen veggie to zap for dinner) that I forgot to put in the two cups of corn that was called for in the recipe.  Oh well.  (I'm glad you mentioned NCIS, because that reminds me that NCIS: N.O. starts tonight too.)

• Love 1

With the temperature not getting over 70 today, I was in full blown fall mode. Split some firewood, and made my dad's chicken that I posted here about a month ago. Just as great as I remembered. I think I'm better at it than my dad, but I'm not going to tell him that. 

• Love 1

I had two popsicles from a local shop for lunch, so I figured I would have a non-healthy dinner and start over with the healthy eating tomorrow.  I don't know how many calories the popsicles had, but I'm sure they had more sugar than I should have (they are all-natural 'made in small batches', but definitely not sugar-free).  I had heard good things about the shop, and one of the two was really good.  The Watermelon with Mint one didn't have much flavor, but it was very refreshing (I guess it was the mint, although I didn't really taste mint).  However, the Fresh Strawberry one was really, really good.  I'll have to try another flavor soon.

I'm munching on some Stacy's Cinnamon/Sugar Pita Chips for an appetizer and will have some chicken and dumplings from a can later (I only buy that every once in a while--it's more dumplings than chicken, but it's not too bad).

• Love 2

Last night was half an order of buffalo wings, a pork chop pannini with serrano ham and Swiss cheese, some fries and a couple of interesting seasonal beers.

Okay, I went out to dinner last night.  Tonight will probably be a salad.

• Love 1

Celebrating the fact that I survived our one 90ish degree day and it's now back to a pleasant lower 70s, I made hot and sour soup and steamed some frozen dumplings from my favorite dumpling shop. Delicious!

Plus , an It's It for dessert.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Celebrating the fact that I survived our one 90ish degree day and it's now back to a pleasant lower 70s, I made hot and sour soup and steamed some frozen dumplings from my favorite dumpling shop. Delicious!

Plus , an It's It for dessert.

OK...I give up!  What is an "It's It"?  And boy, are you lucky to have endured only one 90+ temp day.  We've finally, this week, been graced with autumn weather, in the 70's (after the second hottest summer on record in the metro DC area).  Yay for autumn!

• Love 1

We've got less than scorching weather too in the last day or so.  I took advantage of it by making my first successful roast beast! 

I've tried before, but it was always, dry, tough and/or to well done for my tastes.  And yes, I've read and watched The Grinch way too many times that I can't not call it roast beast.

Edited by DeLurker
Because I had too many too(s).
  • Love 2

California Street Tacos... If you live in L A and can shop at Gonzalez Northgate Markets get their triple meat package of pork, chicken and beef to make your own street tacos. There is a portion of each. So far I've made around 15 or 20 tacos from the pork. Add some cilantro,  onions and salsa. They also have freshly made warm tortillas, corn, nopales and flour. I think I've eaten tacos everyday since Friday except for Saturday when I had company, 

• Love 2

Seared Ahi salad with a tossed together dressing. Not sure if it was tasty or not, I was starving and inhaled it.

Highly recommend this one-pan prosciutto wrapped chicken and roasted cauliflower. I'm not diabetic but am trying to get my borderline blood suagar in check and found this website for some tasty recipes http://www.diabeticfoodie.com/2016/09/one-pan-prosciutto-wrapped-chicken-with-roasted-cauliflower/

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Baked potato soup because there's a wicked virus which creates havoc with your throat.

Geez...my husband is finally getting over that virus and my daughter & little grandson in Minnesota are recuperating as well.  I've been using antibacterial wipes on doorknobs, appliance handles, light switches, phones, and TV remotes.  Germs be gone!!!

• Love 2

I have been on an Asian kick lately, someone got me Lucky Peach's 101 Easy Asian Recipes for my birthday and I have been quite happy with everything I have made from it. Tonight was my clean out the fridge Thai fish curry and a spicy Chinese cucumber salad from the book both were tasty.

• Love 4