Type keyword(s) to search

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Very excited for this and I do find it pretty interesting, since this is the continuation where the original series left off in 85. Characters and "toy vehicles" are also making their grand debut in things and even bringing back classics like the Landshark, Attack Tract, ect. I do love that Strider is also back, a one off episode, but they did so much with a robotic horse that had become alive and the message instilled by both He-Man and Man at Arms in the original series spoke volumes. 

On 6/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, BetterButter said:

SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamill and Conroy reunion! Sort of.

And while shaggy, I really like He-Man’s hair for this as opposed to the bowl hair from the original.

What?

And is it just me, or can anyone else hear shades of the Joker in Skeletor?

Wait!!! And John Stewart/Diana!! Phil LaMarr and Susan Eisenberg!!!!🥰🥰😍😍😍😍😍😍🙌🙌🙌🙌

• Love 1

Masters of the Universe: Revelation is supposed to also have a commentary track for each episode, I am not sure how they would do that, maybe it might be selected in the same place you select the language/subtitles.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation will have a an aftershow entitled "Revelations: The Masters of the Universe Revelation Aftershow".

Masters of the Universe: Revelation TRAILER BREAKDOWN with Kevin Smith

By the power of Grayskull! Kevin Smith breaks down all the secrets and Easter eggs in the brand new MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVELATION trailer, from the threat of death facing Eternia to cameo appearances of everything from Scare Glow to Snake Mountain to Preternia.

• Love 1

It sure seems like the start of the series will have a "final" battle between He-Man and Skeletor that requires splitting the Power Sword.  So I don't expect to see too much of He-Man himself after that - he'll be stuck as Adam.  Then he'll tag along as part of Teela's group to do whatever it is they need to do to reunite the sword, return magic, yada yada.

5 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Then he'll tag along as part of Teela's group to do whatever it is they need to do to reunite the sword, return magic, yada yada.

I think that's right but, I also expect some sort of He-Man return by the mid-season/Season 1- Part 1 finale.

I also wonder if we might get Evil He-Man? There's a scene of Teela/He-Man fighting and he has Red Eyes. I wonder if the sword splits could Skeletor become Evil He-Man?

I hope the show goes into Adam's story. What being He-Man meant to him and how he deals with being losing that aspect of his life. I also hope the show goes into Teela finding out about her mother. That's got to be a double whammy, leading to her walking away.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:37 AM, AnimeMania said:

Masters of the Universe: Revelation is supposed to also have a commentary track for each episode, I am not sure how they would do that, maybe it might be selected in the same place you select the language/subtitles.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation will have a an aftershow entitled "Revelations: The Masters of the Universe Revelation Aftershow".

I watch Kevin Smith's podcast, Fatman Beyond, and he said his YouTube channel will release the commentary videos as the episodes are released on Netflix. He said you can watch them separately or together or both depending on what you want your personal viewing experience to be.

It sounded like the commentary videos are just the commentary, and they're not side-by-side with the episodes. How he typically does it is he'll tell you when to hit play so you're simultaneously watching the show and the commentary video. He's done that with other movies and shows previously on his channel.

I think I'll probably watch the episode by itself first then time the commentary video with my second viewing of each episode.

1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

I watch Kevin Smith's podcast, Fatman Beyond, and he said his YouTube channel will release the commentary videos as the episodes are released on Netflix. He said you can watch them separately or together or both depending on what you want your personal viewing experience to be.

It sounded like the commentary videos are just the commentary, and they're not side-by-side with the episodes. How he typically does it is he'll tell you when to hit play so you're simultaneously watching the show and the commentary video. He's done that with other movies and shows previously on his channel.

I think I'll probably watch the episode by itself first then time the commentary video with my second viewing of each episode.

That is so overly complicated, it would have been simple to just create an audio track the plays like all the other audio and subtitle tracks that they include with every Netflix title released. Not everybody is watching on a computer and can have multiple windows open at the same time, people watching on a TV would have a horrible, if not impossible experience using this.

(edited)

Randor came off as kind of a dick.  Telling Adam he wished he knew what it was like to be a proud father, then exiling everyone when he found out the big secret.  Given that Marlena knew it makes you wonder if he wanted to divorce her on the spot.

And hey, even though he still loves himself some evil monologues Skeletor is actually surprisingly competent and dangerous.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Love 6

People on social media are already bitching about how He-Man got sidelined in his own show by Teela. Haven’t watched it yet, but can anyone confirm or deny?

I don’t care either way, the sexist trolls can STFU.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

People on social media are already bitching about how He-Man got sidelined in his own show by Teela. Haven’t watched it yet, but can anyone confirm or deny?

So far Teela is definitely the main character.  The first episode is the only one where Adam transforms into He-Man.  After that it's just flashbacks if you want to see He-Man punching things.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was never a Teela fan, would have preferred a show about The Sorceress but, it's actually really good. I'm enjoying it, especially Evil-Lynn.

Well, just plowed through all 5 episodes, that was freaking awesome. The first episode is pure 80s He-Man, I forgot how cheesy that show was. The rest of the episodes expanded on the Universe, I really enjoyed the World Building.

When the hell do the rest of the episodes drop? This was definitely a MSF, can't wait for S1 Part 2.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
(edited)

Watched the first two episodes and the haters can just bite me, this show is great. And it might behoove them to remember that it’s only the FIRST PART so Adam/He-Man will probably have a bigger role in the next part, so they can cool it with trashing Kevin Smith on Twitter.

Mark Hamill is perfect as Skeletor, and ditto Lena Headley as Evil-Lynn. And I love SMG, so Teela taking the lead doesn’t bother me a bit.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I love SMG, so Teela taking the lead doesn’t bother me a bit

SMG's voice is the only downside because all I hear is SMG. Which is odd because I didn't hear SMG when she played Seventh Sister on Rebels.

• Love 2

HOLEEEEEEECRAPOLA!!!!!!😭🥺😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

This is not my childhood He-Man! How what? I mean y’all saw what The Joker Skeletor DID!

And I never cared for Teela then and Sarah’s portrayal has made me actively dislike her even more. Wah Wah Adam didn’t tell her his secret.

I blinked and must have missed it, but how much time went by between the first and second episode?

And I can’t remember because in the original, Adam didn’t look like a boy, but a man; his voice was just lighter. Here, he looks…18ish? So is Teela older?

How long until it comes back????

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was never a fan of He-Man or She-Ra, but this version of MOTU?  I'm totally in!  Honestly, I can see Teela's POV in all of this and it's nice to see the world of Eternia through her eyes.   Yes, she is pissed because no one told her one of the big secrets. I just hope someone tells her before the first part is over.  She never expected her love for best friend Adam and her torch for He-Man to reside in the same place.  Once she learns the other secret pertaining to her...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wah Wah Adam didn’t tell her his secret.

I busted out laughing when she got angry and started yelling at everyone about lying to her about Adam/He-Man. Wow, she's this pissed over Adam and, she doesn't even know the big secret!

I had a chuckle at the running gag of people trying to tell Teela the big secret but she would cut them off we don't have time for this.

And I can’t remember because in the original, Adam didn’t look like a boy, but a man; his voice was just lighter. Here, he looks…18ish? So is Teela older?

80s Adam was basically portrayed as an adult male who was a wimp/wuss (and almost as buff as He-Man). I actually liked the change to make Adam look more like a teen boy, it actually worked with how cheesy He-Man sounded/acted.

This is not my childhood He-Man! How what? I mean y’all saw what The Joker Skeletor DID!

A competent Skeletor was unexpected and yet kicked the show up a notch. I'm 50/50 in Adam's fate with the cliffhanger. 

• Love 3

And I never cared for Teela then and Sarah’s portrayal has made me actively dislike her even more. Wah Wah Adam didn’t tell her his secret.

7 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I was never a fan of He-Man or She-Ra, but this version of MOTU?  I'm totally in!  Honestly, I can see Teela's POV in all of this and it's nice to see the world of Eternia through her eyes.   Yes, she is pissed because no one told her one of the big secrets. I just hope someone tells her before the first part is over.  She never expected her love for best friend Adam and her torch for He-Man to reside in the same place.  Once she learns the other secret pertaining to her...

I can understand Teela being upset about being left in the dark and the fact that she saw Adam get blown up didn’t help matters, but yeah, it was way out of line to abandon all her friends and her poor dad who just got unfairly banished by the jerk king. It did strongly reek of Secreth and Lieths — @GHScorpiosRule knows exactly what I’m talking about.

On a shallow note, Adam was way prettier than he was in the 80s lol.

That was one hell of a cliffhanger! I’m too much of a jaded viewer to think Adam is dead again (it’s not stopping the Twidiots from lashing out though), but yeah, I hope the next part is released soon!

”Ya did good, Lynnie.” Never leave us, Mark Hamill.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

it was way out of line to abandon all her friends and her poor dad who just got unfairly banished by the jerk king. It did strongly reek of Secreth and Lieths — @GHScorpiosRule knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Oh yeah. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about--and that twat annoyed me as fucking all get out.

I'd forgotten that Mer-Man was Skeletor's lackey, so BOO! to Batman, er, Kevin Conroy playing a baddie. But it tickled me to have Conroy and Hamill's characters on the same side!

• Love 1

I'm out. This isn't what I would like for MotU. I would respect Kevin Smith if he admitted from the beginning he's picking up this project he's never seen before (he claimed he was a super fan from the 80s), calling it just Masters of The Universe and admitting its a Teela centered show and his putting his own spin on it.

I don't like the animation (sorry). The storyline sucks IMHO.  Why would Teela be angry at the Adam/He-Man secret when Adam/He-Man has even a bigger secret that Teela is the Sorceress' daughter!??!  

I'll just stick to the old filmation re-runs and the 90s cartoon.

• LOL 1

Duncan was always my favorite character in the original, and I thought casting Liam Cunningham as him was the perfect choice.

A couple of the voices feel off to me, mainly Teela because SMG's voice is a little too bubbly for the character, but I got used to it after a while.

I like the story so far and the expanded view of the universe is cool. My favorite part of the show as a kid was both magic and technology existing together, and I'm glad they made that part of the focus.

My husband, who hated MOTU as a kid, became engaged in the story and started watching this with me instead of ignoring it from the other room.

When the handful of swear words popped up, I was surprised because it's a kid's show, and I thought that would have been nixed by Netflix.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

HOLEEEEEEECRAPOLA!!!!!!😭🥺😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

I blinked and must have missed it, but how much time went by between the first and second episode?

This!!

This show is an insult to original fans and the original show/characters!  Kevin Smith lying and getting caught was even more of an insult.  If he wanted to make a Teela show, fine, but don't hitch her sky sled to the He-Man name!

56 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Why would Teela be angry at the Adam/He-Man secret when Adam/He-Man has even a bigger secret that Teela is the Sorceress' daughter!??!  

Ditto!  To the best of my knowledge, Teela found out her secret origins but the Sorceress magically made her forget and she never found out again [in the original show].    There was still no reason for Teela to whine about being left out of the loop, or to leave the royal court, especially when you consider He-Man died and King Randor and Queen Marlena lost their son! 

Clownfish TV  outed the true intent Kevin Smith had for the show and he denied it.  He should be ashamed - but as we know there is no shame in Hollywood.

The only He Man I'll watch are the 80s original and the 2002 reboot (which was far truer to the characters).  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I watched all five episodes and enjoyed it the whole way through. I have only a passing familiarity with the source material so there were times when I knew something was a reference but not what was being referred to. But Kevin Smith can do no wrong in my books (I even enjoyed Tusk and Yoga Hosers) so that plus the all-star cast made this a must-watch.

I appreciated that an adult joke slipped in there. I forget exactly what it was but someone said something that made sense in the context of the show but would have been a condom joke anywhere else. I hope that in the second half we get a character saying "37" followed by someone else responding with "in a row?!" I could also have sworn there was a reference to Clerks in there when someone was getting blasted through a wall. An "I'm not even supposed to be here today" is obligatory at this point.

The voice acting talent is awesome in this and I'm amazed at the group of actors Smith was able to pull together. I love me some Smidge so I was happy to hear her even if Teela does come across as Buffy 2.0. I'd listen to Tony Todd read the phone book. Dennis Haysbert's unmistakable voice showed up too, that was awesome.

I'm looking forward to the rest. I don't get the outrage. I'm going to watch Snake Eyes in the theater this week and I know from the trailer that it's not going to match my childhood G.I. Joe experience. As long as it has good characters, a good story and good action, so what? This is the world that let J.J. Abrams have his way with Star Trek and Star Wars. Nothing is sacred.

• Love 3

To be fair, He-Man isn’t in this show’s title. It’s just Masters of the Universe. I just hate that people are accusing it of being “too woke” and having a “feminist agenda” (as if that’s a bad thing). I’m so sick of toxic fandom tantrums.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

A couple of the voices feel off to me, mainly Teela because SMG's voice is a little too bubbly for the character, but I got used to it after a while

Yeah, her squeaky voice was an odd fit for big, brawny Teela. SMG also seemed to be lacking some of the natural voice acting talent of the rest of the cast, which didn’t help, but I rolled with it. 

Speaking of Teela’s brawn, I appreciated how jacked she (and really all of the main female characters) were. It’s nice to see warrior women who actually look like they can kick serious ass. 

I think Cersei Lynn is my fave so far lol. Funny that she’s been friendzoned by Skeletor for all these years.

2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

To be fair, He-Man isn’t in this show’s title. It’s just Masters of the Universe. I just hate that people are accusing it of being “too woke” and having a “feminist agenda” (as if that’s a bad thing). I’m so sick of toxic fandom tantrums

Yeah, it was pretty telling to me that a) He-Man wasn’t in the title of the show and b) a lot of the promo pics focused of the women characters. Personally I don’t get why people are up in arms about this; I get that He-Man was a nostalgic trip for many of us 80s/90s kids, but it wasn’t exactly a masterpiece back then. Shit, the recent Sheera updated series Netflix did was changed quite a bit from the original, and was probably 10x more “woke” then MoTU has been so far, and it was great. Waaaay better then the original. I’m okay with them not making a direct remake of the campy, fairly crappy original. 

• Love 4

As a child of the 80’s who grew up with He-Man, I don’t get the outrage. I think this was a good start. I am intrigued where this goes from here. Don’t believe that Adam/He-Man is dead and that Teela will have to take the mantle herself which seems to be the conclusion a lot of people upset about the ending are making. I think they want us to think Adam died especially with the whole him never being allowed back in the Hero Heaven if he dies again begin mentioned a few times before. I don’t think it is coincidence that magic has now returned and Teela has not found out the big secret about herself. 

I liked the flashbacks with He-Man were completely cheesy like the 80’’s version. 

I have to agree that SMG voice was didn’t seem a natural fit for Teela. The character’s reaction to Adam/He-Man was a bit over the top. 

Haven’t really seen this mentioned enough but Chris Wood’s as Adam was a natural fit. Also loved the idea that in Preternia where all the other heroes were in their Hero form. Adam remained in his regular form. It was such a telling character moment. Of course in the 80’s version Adam and He-Man were literally the same except for the outfit. 

I will also say as one of the only people I know who loved Orco as a kid, this was such a great storyline for his character. Though he dies in the end it was such a good death and his character had been given such a good development beforehand. 

Thank goodness they answered the question, that Evil-Lynne gave added the Evil part later in life and wasn’t just born with that name because really parents naming that child that are just asking for them to turn out evil. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't like the animation (sorry). The storyline sucks IMHO.  Why would Teela be angry at the Adam/He-Man secret when Adam/He-Man has even a bigger secret that Teela is the Sorceress' daughter!??! 

She's angry because she got the hots for He-Man, thinking he was a totally different person from Prince Adam.  The best part for me is having Adam look totally different from his jacked up alter ego.  I never understood how no one in the original 80's cartoon ever saw that Prince Adam with that god-awful bowl cut was just He-Man with tight clothing. 

I cackled when we saw him hanging in Heaven as his "lesser" self. We could have used at least 2 episodes in Heaven to see why Adam didn't stay jacked up like the others.  It was really cool to see Greyskull and the previous protectors of Eternia.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ybrik said:

I don’t think it is coincidence that magic has now returned and Teela has not found out the big secret about herself. 

She would if she could just stop herself from cutting people off when they say they have to tell her something.

Speaking of the Masters of the Universe, I hope the next part explains what happened to everyone else.  Did Stratos, Ram-Man, etc. also quit in a giant huff?  They shouldn't be as emotionally invested in the whole Adam = He-Man secret so it's an even worse look if they all gave up and went home.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I cackled when we saw him hanging in Heaven as his "lesser" self

GraySkull said Adam chose to be his “lesser” self instead of as He-Man.

The only difference (which is still stupid) in the original cartoon was that Adam’s horrid bowl cut was a lighter blonde and he was paler, while as He-Man, he was tanned with dark/golden blonde hair. Plus the voice.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

To be fair, He-Man isn’t in this show’s title. It’s just Masters of the Universe. I just hate that people are accusing it of being “too woke” and having a “feminist agenda” (as if that’s a bad thing). I’m so sick of toxic fandom tantrums.

Which is hilarious because it doesn't. 😂

16 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Speaking of Teela’s brawn, I appreciated how jacked she (and really all of the main female characters) were. It’s nice to see warrior women who actually look like they can kick serious ass. 

See I thought this was great for Teela and Andra. Especially how Teela was totally jacked and Andra less but still respectably so. It made absolute sense for their characters. I wasn't wholly convinced that Evil-Lyn would be working out her upper-body so much but could accept it. Once we got to the barely able to stand straight, elderly dying Sorceress with excellent muscular definition though, I was just annoyed by the animators. It just made me feel like they were unable to draw any other kind of arm.

(edited)

I liked it alright, but I am not surprised that the Teela centred first half of season 1 has its haters. The clownfish people are uber-whiney though. Mattel has had a substantial record of shitty ideas for the Masters of the Universe long before this latest installment. I assume Netflix is doing this with a new audience in mind.
I wasn't that keen on the new She-Ra, but I think in terms of reimagening it for today's young viewers it turned out quite well.

I always liked Orco in the OG series, and my favourite scenes from Revelation were Evil-Lynn and Orco's heart to heart. I expect the second season will be Teela and her merry gang fighting Sceletor to save Adam.
My one rant: Now everybody knows that Adam is He-Man. Thats a bit weird. Will the sorceress pull out a neuralyzer and whipe everyone's memory at the end of s1?

On 7/23/2021 at 10:53 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I was never a Teela fan, would have preferred a show about The Sorceress ...

I think I would've preferred that.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Aulty said:

expect the second season will be Teela and her merry gang fighting Sceletor to save Adam.

Part 2 of S1, we're just at the midseason point 😁

always liked Orco in the OG series, and my favourite scenes from Revelation were Evil-Lynn and Orco's heart to heart

I probably loved Orco as a kid but, looking back as an adult he was super annoying and useless. Pretty much like how as a kid I loved Ewoks and then as an adult hate them in Return of the Jedi. 😂

However, that scene with Orco and Evil-Lynn was a thing of beauty. I absolutely loved him and I'm not convinced he died. I'm holding out hope that Orco transcended or something and become Oracle 

So now everybody knows that Adam is He-Man. Thats a bit weird. Will the sorceress pull out a neuralyzer and whipe everyone's memory at the end of s1?

I have this weird obsession with the Chekovs Gun they introduced...If Adam dies he won't go back to Preturnia, he'll basically be locked out of heaven.  I love the dichotomy they setup of Adam and He-Man and the Sword of Power having 2 halves. I wonder if we'll end up with the sword split, Skeletor having one half and He-Man the other?

I'd really love and exploration of Adam being sacrificed for He-Man and, how that feels to He-Man and, everyone else. We had King Dickhead being all shit dad to Adam, we have Teela thinking of Adam as a sort of Kid Brother while crushing on He-Man and, we have Adam dying and choosing to be his "lesser half" (per the other Champions) in Heaven.

I don't know if any of that made sense but, I really want to see them explore Adam vs He-Man in the sense of how people react/view them.  Like I imagine King Asshat who viewed Adam as a disappointment would view his son being He-Man and only He-Man something to be proud of but, is that really better? 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond episode last night was all about MOTU with the voice of Orko himself, Griffin Newman.

Warning: adult language and content

The first hour and a half is just the two of them discussing the show. Griffin is adorable and his fandom of both MOTU and The Tick comes through.

From the discussion, it sounds like the second half will come out either the end of this year or the beginning of next year. 

• Love 2

Finished MOTU yesterday and I've been digesting it for a while.  I liked the old He-man cartoon in the 80's (yes, my friends and I had the toys).  Then I outgrew it and caught it a few years later on cable one time and realized how cheezy it was.  But I appreciated that they tried to tell interesting stories.  I always enjoyed that they had high technology, spaceships, and other worlds alongside magic and sword & sorcery.  Kids shows could always be more creative like that (or maybe it was just the influence of Star Wars in the 80's), so I'm glad they kept it and made magic central to the plot here.  But to me it felt like Zaheer Henry Rollins Triklops's machine technocult was borrowed from another show.  They did a good job working it in, but it felt like something I'd seen before somewhere else and they just copied it here.

However one thing that surprised me was how many plot points I remembered despite not watching the show for probably thirty years.  The animation wasn't as smooth as it could have been, and the voice cast was pretty good, particularly Henry Rollins.  Although SMG was the weak point and I still wonder what Grey DeLisle could have done with Teela.

It was cool that everything centered on Teela, since in the original cartoon she was always on the outside.  She didn't know the secret and she was "the girl" in a cartoon designed to sell toys to boys.  So to tell the first half of the season from her POV was a pretty interesting move.  It gave us more insight into her than we ever had before.  I'm sorry that everyone else was sidelined so much, particularly Duncan and the Sorceress and Adam.

But I am glad for the focus on Evil-Lyn, especially her scene with Orko.  That was brilliant.  But her questioning why she played second fiddle to Skeletor all those years when she was so powerful in her own right.  In the original she was there to carry out his evil schemes, and again she was the villainous version of "the girl" in a boys' cartoon.  I still wonder what kind of influence he still has over her, from that scene when her wand-staff whispered to her.

Nice touch that Adam and He-man actually looked different this time.  It was one of the biggest cases of Clark Kenting in cartoons and really made the other characters look pretty dumb.  And the other thing was that all the villains were like, "Why did we follow Skeletor all those years?  He was so incompetent!"  Which made the twist at the end all the more shocking.

• Love 4