Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: Auditions 2

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I'll never look at towels the same way again. 

That was impressive. 

Them and the family band, and the Japanese unicyclists are my favorites tonight (so far, anyway). All for different reasons. I'm only half watching all the other nonsense....when the escape artist described his trick and said he hadn't practiced it I went to wash some dishes. I hate danger acts.

The comedian was pretty good. Especially as comedians generally go on this show. 

The Sonic Glowasis? Okay, then.

How did I know that the last singer was going to say cancer? Was it the "I haven't sung recently" and the awkward pauses where the judges were obviously not asking the logical next question? The short, fine hair that screams "growing back after chemo"? Hmm.... That said, she has a lovely voice and I liked her song.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

How did I know that the last singer was going to say cancer? Was it the "I haven't sung recently" and the awkward pauses where the judges were obviously not asking the logical next question? The short, fine hair that screams "growing back after chemo"? Hmm.... That said, she has a lovely voice and I liked her song.

My first thought when she said she was there by herself and that the last year was bad was that she lost her husband to COVID. I didn't like her musically, but the story touched me, I'll admit. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the singing family from San Francisco, they reminded me of the Jackson 5.  The young magician was pretty decent but he seemed nervous.  The Unicyclists were fun.  The young lady singer at the end has a lovely voice, I did not mind her getting the Golden Buzzer, altho her story did have me teary-eyed.

• Love 4

I'm surprised that I mostly agreed with the judges.  I wasn't always the same about intensity, but that's also live vs. on TV when I'm fast-forwarding through the boring bits.

This week was a little heavy on bands, but it might be a band/singer heavy year, since music acts tend to do well.

• Love 1

I got the feeling LTL was there to set up the Korean group, to show "this is what a REAL boy band sounds like!" Of course, Korean Soul is an established act, with a large YouTube following. The first "boy" band have a much smaller online presence, but they do seem to be a real group. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I got the feeling LTL was there to set up the Korean group,

Exactly, because the show wasn't very subtle in letting us know. I practically got a headache from being hit in the head with it. That also made me realize how much better this show was last season without Simon. I really REALLY disliked how much of a d*ck he was to those guys. They were not HORRIBLE. Last week that peacock guy got to go on and on and on with his stupidity and that was okay. Those three LTL guys were not breaking my tv screen like peacock dude was.

And how many times do we have to be subjected to close ups of Simon all gape jawed and bug eyed staring like he's seeing aliens emerging from a space craft that just landed on stage.

The escape artist was so boring, I couldn't tell what his act was, plus I knew he was going to get free "just in time" since I doubt it would have been aired (at least not in family time) if he got chopped in half or whatever was going to (not) happen to him. Danger acts have become UNdanger acts for me on this show.

I like the comedian. She had some pretty solid material.

The towel guys ... someone does nudie peek-and-boo every season.

I thought the cancer singer was good, I enjoyed her voice. I was just listening, not watching, so liked her even without having to see or hear her story.

I thought if the three "boy band" guys who got dissed by the judges were all veterans who adopted handicapped kids and each had lost a spouse to a serial killer and formed that group to combat their PTSD, they might have gotten a Golden Buzzer. Their story of "we want to be famous" doesn't work for this show. Let that be a lesson to all future acts.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought if the three "boy band" guys who got dissed by the judges were all veterans who adopted handicapped kids and each had lost a spouse to a serial killer and formed that group to combat their PTSD, they might have gotten a Golden Buzzer. Their story of "we want to be famous" doesn't work for this show. Let that be a lesson to all future acts.

They lost me at all the “merch” and “my name is tattooed on people” talk. Dude, you’re 39 years old. Pretty sure your “boy band” days are long past. That doesn’t mean stop singing; it just means maybe it’s time to find an image that doesn’t give a has-been vibe before you ever were. Hard to look at people clinging to past glory that never actually materialized.

I loved the unicycle dancers - so nice to see something fresh, new, and beautifully executed.

Kid dancers: yawn. They pirouette, they do crazy flexible leg things. Over and over. Yadda yadda yadda.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Their story of "we want to be famous" doesn't work for this show.

It's funny because that is exactly what the Korean guys said right after. They want to be pop stars. So it works if you are actually talented. At least to get through round 1. 

The "man band" was pretty bad. They reminded me of those over the top cover bands that corporate hires for company events. Entertaining but rarely great singers.

Seen the towel guys before, but no other routines by them so looking forward to what they do next.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The escape artist was so boring, I couldn't tell what his act was, plus I knew he was going to get free "just in time" since I doubt it would have been aired (at least not in family time) if he got chopped in half or whatever was going to (not) happen to him. Danger acts have become UNdanger acts for me on this show.

This.  It was a taped show.  If the person was killed it would have been all over the news and NOT shown on TV.  I really hate danger acts.  Is the goal to hope something goes wrong and you get to see someone kill themselves in front of you?  Otherwise, what is the excitement of watching the person "escape" over and over.

I also thought the comedian was pretty decent.  

• Love 7

I loathe little kid dancers and was as annoyed by the drag queen teacher-led girls as any other outfit who comes on doing the same thing.  They were just doing pirouettes and jumping around with a couple of HMV moves thrown in.  Cutesy looking girls trying to act all sexy thang just ain't my jam.

The senior boy band was an obvious setup for the "real" K-pop band, both of whom I hated because I don't like K-pop or any boy bands.  At least the Koreans did dye their hair blond like that other group does.

We had back-to-back boy bands and then back-to-back 70s acts?

The magician was interesting, although Shin Lim needs no competition in Vegas.

The comedienne was pretty good and funny.

The Japanese unicyclists were entertaining and I loved their costumes.

Nightbirde the female vocalist was the sob story of the night, but she has a lovely voice, although I'm not big on that style of singing.  I'd like to hear another song from her.  I feel for her cancer battle because I've been through that ordeal and thank God I'm still here.  I hope she makes it.  She said she has a 2% chance of surviving her terminal cancer.  Very emotional.  I'm not mad the got Simon's GB.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The senior boy band was an obvious setup for the "real" K-pop band, both of whom I hated because I don't like K-pop or any boy bands.  At least the Koreans did dye their hair blond like that other group does.

When they were alternating their intro packages, I said "one of them is going to be really good, and one will be really bad." Just based on their overall looks, I guessed the K-group would be the good ones, but then you never know with this show.

• Love 6

I very much doubt there was any danger involved with the escape act. Magicians and escape artists lie. It's part of their job. When they say, "if I don't get out in time, this saw will come down and kill me right in front of your eyes," that's a lie. "I've never done/practiced this before" is a lie. I'm pretty sure the contraption is designed so that the saw can only swing down when he pulls himself upright and out of the way -- always a split second dramatic finish. The water weight is just for show. 

The LTR "boy band" was soooo cringey that I almost felt bad for them. But I love cringe, so I was entertained.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The magician was interesting, although Shin Lim needs no competition in Vegas.

This reminded me, because I am obsessed with trying to spot the CGI audience vs. the real empty theater, when the magician's act was shown from his viewpoint, we could see the camera person filming from behind the judges and with the big wide huge empty auditorium behind him. Not a single audience member anywhere for miles and then some. Mission accomplished!

I did hate how the show made the CGI totally fake audience just sit there in complete silence after the LTR three guys were done. That just made me hate Simon more, if that's even possible. Two thousand people would not have made NO noise after any act, good or bad.

Oh yeah, I liked the magician too. And I LOVE Shin Lim!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This reminded me, because I am obsessed with trying to spot the CGI audience vs. the real empty theater, when the magician's act was shown from his viewpoint, we could see the camera person filming from behind the judges and with the big wide huge empty auditorium behind him. Not a single audience member anywhere for miles and then some. Mission accomplished!

I did hate how the show made the CGI totally fake audience just sit there in complete silence after the LTR three guys were done. That just made me hate Simon more, if that's even possible. Two thousand people would not have made NO noise after any act, good or bad.

Oh yeah, I liked the magician too. And I LOVE Shin Lim!

Even though I know the audience is CGI, it still makes me very uncomfortable. My brain keeps asking why all those people are there and why they aren’t wearing masks.

Also: even in the Before Times I disliked the audience reaction shots. The current situation just reinforces how fake those reactions are.

• Love 5

The Partridge 6 were dang good.  It was, however, totally weird that dad refused to say a word.  If AGT tries to screw them over with song choice, I'd loooove to be in the room when the parents who are clearly industry savvy, tell Simon's minions what will be.

The magician's concept of the end/beginning/end was very good.  He just didn't put it together thematically as well as he could have.  Maybe it's a language thing.  But, totally deserving of another appearance.

The silly rockers did what they do very, very, well.  Second week in a row we got Gong Show-esque acts that had unspoken contempt for standard presentations and who were actually talented.  The anti-AGT if you will.  Yay.

The comedienne was aight.  I'd never choose to see her perform, though.  Thin material, as is true for nearly all the AGT comics the past few years.

Simon has always insisted that like Disney, it is not a good look to have genuine tragedy or joy presented that is not packaged precisely so as not to make folks too sad, or too happy.  It's as cynical as it gets, but that is Hollyweird in a nutshell.  To be properly entertained, you see, means to buy in (literally) to what THEY create/present.  Otherwise, 1) They don't get paid as much as they could, and 2)  People are taken back to reality when the entire point is to be taken FROM it.

Given Simon's recent story, this all hit way too close to home.  He needs to be above it all to be most effective.  Nightbird's voice was reed thin, understandably, and her voice was straight out of auto tune.  Her original poetry was certainly deeply meaningful and powerful.  However, the music was atonal and dull.  Simon the producer would have told her that however well intentioned it all was, it was a mess.  Well, that could not happen in this case, could it.  Nope.  Instead, we got the opposite - a GB.  

Full credit to the lady for channeling her pain and fear into art.  Her courage is quite something.  May she know a long and happy life.  But, a singer she is not.

• Love 6

First, I meant to say the K-pop boys did NOT dye their hair blond as has the other famous group, so there was at least that.

Second, I did enjoy The Curtis Family C-Notes (Partridge 6 - ha!).  The Gong Show white retro group was entertaining too, but I feel was really there for comic relief, or something.  Why are we now heralding women with unshaved arm pits?  That wasn't a thing in the 70s unless you were an old hippy or from a foreign country.  Is this the new girl power?

On 6/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Is this the new girl power?

I hope not!  If so, I'll be keeping my razor, thank you very much.  To each her own though!

On 6/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, CrystalBlue said:

The Gong Show white retro group was entertaining too, but I feel was really there for comic relief, or something. 

I'm curious as to what they'll do next.  We've seen many a person/group be pretty good on the first audition, then after that it's just a one-note act.  With some of them, the novelty wears off very quickly!

• Love 1

Because I missed the Japanese unicycle riders the first time, I watched last night's rerun so i could see them. Unfortunately, that also meant I had to sit through the Little Girl HMV routine again, doubling down on how much I did NOT like them. Tiny pre-teens being all creepy JonBenét Ramsey ... what's up with anyone thinking that's a good idea. Plus they weren't even that good, all they did was spin around and flash HMVs. The few who did aerials were so low to the ground, if they put on two pounds they will not be able to complete any of those flips. I did like their coach though. He should have been the entire act. But then, I always liked Prince Poppycock too.

Finally, I got to see the unicycle group. Wow, now THAT'S what I want to see on AGT, not some choir or kid singer or a guy in a peacock suit. Those people were loaded with talent. You know, the word that's in the title of this show. They were really something.

I turned the channel as soon as they finished their act so as not to subject myself to anything else.

• Love 6

I’ve watched a little bit, but was wondering if a singer from my home county has performed yet. Her name is Brooke Simpson. She a very sweet and talented Native American who is from my home county. She did well on The Voice a few season ago, but didn’t win.  I can’t find her date for air.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve watched a little bit, but was wondering if a singer from my home county has performed yet. Her name is Brooke Simpson.

I don't recall seeing her yet.  I will watch for her!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I don't recall seeing her yet.  I will watch for her!

That’s good. I’ll look for her too.  She’s very talented. I felt she was robbed on The Voice, but perhaps I’m biased.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve watched a little bit, but was wondering if a singer from my home county has performed yet. Her name is Brooke Simpson. She a very sweet and talented Native American who is from my home county. She did well on The Voice a few season ago, but didn’t win.  I can’t find her date for air.  

I hope your home county singer does well and makes you proud, but I do have to say this kind of repetition from other shows diminishes my enjoyment of AGT. I find it much more entertaining when it appears that AGT is the act's potential big break out of obscurity, rather than just the next step in the career of a pro or semi-pro. When someone has already gotten that much air time and opportunity on a different show, it's not the same as watching someone who's never been on a big stage before.

I feel the same way about some acts that are known to just hop from one contest to another, doing the same act on "Britain's Got Talent" and then "Australia's Got Talent," and "Fill in the Blank's Got Talent." That also makes me doubt there's any fairness to the audition process, the early part that is not televised. Sounds like talent agents get them signed up because they're professionals and this is just another gig.

But I'm an old curmudgeon, so what do I know.

• Love 2

I like the big reveal brilliant artist out of no where too, but I’ll still root for for Brooke.  She’s from a very rural county where there is little opportunity.  Most people have to move away to find jobs.  If she can win something to help her with her future, I’ll be glad.  There is literally one grocery store in the entire county! 

• Love 3