Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: Vamos

• Start Topic

Dr. Shaun Murphy must perform a risky surgery on a patient without electricity when the power suddenly goes out. Dr. Lim and Dr. Mateo Rendón Osma's relationship deepens as they overcome difficulties during their surgery.

Original airdate: 6/7/21

Damnit, Lim and Claire, way to start the waterworks up for me. And then Shaun and Claire's hug on top of it all :'(. I'm so glad they got a couple scenes together before she left. I loved Shaun telling she was good at her job. I'm going to miss their friendship so, so much. I'm going to miss Claire so, so much. 

So Lea and Shaun are getting engaged. Hm. Second show I've watched this season with the woman proposing to the man :D. This one ended on a much happier note than the one on the other show did. 

It's kind of weird to hear Morgan just come right out and say she loves someone, given her history, but I am glad she and Park worked things out. Shame about Andrews and his wife, though :(.

We had good outcomes with the patients! Yay! Seems rather fitting, though-the beginning of this season dealt with so much pain and death, it was nice to end on a much more positive note. 

Farewell, Claire, you'll be missed by me and many others. Until next season, then. 

• Love 17

I was dreading this episode so much, so I can’t say how relieved that almost everyone had a happy outcome.  Although I’m sad to see Claire leave, it’s gratifying that she left on a high note.  I was disappointed to learn that Andrews and his wife split though, but good for everyone else. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Totally surprised that all of the patients lived.  Hell, they even found a way to save the guy with the dog!  Honestly, I might have to double-check, but outside of the opening COVID themed episodes, it feels like the patient survival rate this season was much better than the previous ones.  It's like COVID turned all the writers into big old softies, and they wanted to finally bring in some happiness here!

Part of me wishes that I didn't read earlier about Antonia Thomas' exit, but I still found all of the stuff with Claire compelling (and, of course, well-acted), and I think it's a fitting end for her (for now?)  I agree with Lim that Claire's emotionally driven approach to things will work well in this type of position, and it certainly looks like she's already formed a good connection with the staff and patients, so I can easily see her thriving here.  Glad she got a proper send-off with most everyone (outside of Glassman, who wasn't there), but the highlights were definitely her good-bye with Lim (Thomas and Christina Chang really sold the characters' friendship) and her final scene with Shaun, which included him giving her a hug!  Hopefully she'll pop back up someday, but until then, I'll miss Antonia Thomas here, but am certainly looking forward to seeing what she does next!

Leave it to Park and Reznick to make one of them saying the other looks ugly when she cries, somehow come off almost sweet and caring.  While a lot of it was rushed, I'm glad the two are not only on better terms, but seem to be making a go now at an actual relationship.  I'm glad Park at least ended things with Heather before they did so, although breaking up over phone still kind of sucks.

Speaking of break-ups, it looks like Andrews and his wife might be heading that way, unless he really does want to try and make it work.  But I'm guessing him giving up the wedding ring was a sign that wasn't the case anymore?  Curious to see where he goes from here.  It's not likely, but I wouldn't mind seeing the nurse come back in some form, even if admittedly a lot of that is because I think the actress is very, very pretty.

Looks like Mateo might possibly be a future love interest for Lim assuming he's the whole criminal past thing straightened out?  Hope so: it would be nice for Lim to try and have a healthy relationship again.

Lea decides to not go back to Hershey after-all, but even proposes to Shaun!  Between this and Nancy Drew, it seems like shows are really getting into the "You know, women can propose too!" thing.  Can't believe I'm saying this after the way their relationship started, but I kind of hope they make it work.  Loved the reaction by everyone else.  A small moment, but I loved how Park rushed to Shaun, looking like he was going to actually pick him up, but then stopped himself with a side hug because he likely knew Shaun wouldn't like that.  I wonder if that was planned or thought up of on the spot.

All in all, I thought this was a pretty good season, which makes it a pretty rousing success to me, considering that a) I came in still miffed over how the last season played out (and I don't think I'll ever get over how they got rid of Melendez) and b) this was one of the first shows that had to deal with the new COVID procedures, I believe.  But I thought they made it work and then some.  Can't wait for next season!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11

I hope the doctor is able to get legal admission to the US so he can pick up the relationship with Lim.  I thought he was very attractive.  I thought it was rather low key, but overall not bad as the finale.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I've missed a few episodes and am shocked that Antonia Thomas is leaving the show. Also, I had NO idea she was British. I've never warmed up to Leah and Shaun, so blech on the engagement.

Will really miss Claire.

ETA: Shaun's Spanish was excellent!

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 4

I was really surprised they didn't have Lea go to her parents and instead proposed. It is a much happier ending and I think having Shaun deal with a wedding gives them more opportunities for drama. And they will be more creative stories than just break up drama. I really liked how happy everyone seemed for them.

Disappointed Andrews is apparently splitting with his wife, why can't shows just have someone be happily married in the background?

I'm glad Claire got a good exit, but would she really just stay in whatever country this is? Wouldn't she still need to go back to the US to get her stuff, pack her apartment, deal with visa stuff? I know that wouldn't be as dramatic, but it drove me crazy.

I guess I am happy for Park and Morgan too. As weird as their relationship is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm glad Claire got a good exit, but would she really just stay in whatever country this is? Wouldn't she still need to go back to the US to get her stuff, pack her apartment, deal with visa stuff? I know that wouldn't be as dramatic, but it drove me crazy.

You are not the only one who was thinking about these things - she just got back on the bus?  I too thought of all those things like packing up her apartment, getting a visa and whatever else would be needed to work in Guatemala, dealing with financial matters, etc.  And  I realize Antonia Thomas is leaving the show, so I know it had to be written this way, but all her coworkers/friends were just fine with her making this decision so quickly?  

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

You are not the only one who was thinking about these things - she just got back on the bus?  I too thought of all those things like packing up her apartment, getting a visa and whatever else would be needed to work in Guatemala, dealing with financial matters, etc.  And  I realize Antonia Thomas is leaving the show, so I know it had to be written this way, but all her coworkers/friends were just fine with her making this decision so quickly?  

Maybe her new employers helped with all the technical issues of moving to the country? Yeah she probably had to hire someone to pack up her stuff, but that can be arranged too. I suppose it all depends on how much the Guatemala govt wanted her and would expedite things.  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like Mateo might possibly be a future love interest for Lim assuming he's the whole criminal past thing straightened out?  Hope so: it would be nice for Lim to try and have a healthy relationship again.

It has been announced he'll be a regular next season. 

Osvaldo Benavides Joins ABC Medical Drama As Series Regular For Season 5   

https://tinyurl.com/yx9q4rrv

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 4
  • Love 10

That was a good goodbye for Claire. That was also a love trip - Andrews hitting on that nurse, Lim shacking up with Hot Doctor, Lea proposing to Shaun, and Park and Resnick finally admitting they have the hots for each other.

However, I am wondering about Hot Doctor... he said he got arrested for marijuana in the first year of his residency, then fled the country...

does that mean he's a first year resident doing surgery with a Doctors Without Borders-esque organization?

Claire is also a 4th year surgical resident, she's not finished with her residency yet.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope the doctor is able to get legal admission to the US so he can pick up the relationship with Lim.  I thought he was very attractive.  I thought it was rather low key, but overall not bad as the finale.  

He said his mother was Chicana - aka Mexican American - so he is a US citizen. He just needs to get his failure to appear and 10 year old warrant worked out. I'm guessing he was in California at the time - I would not be surprised if they expunge the marijuana charge and just want him to pay a fine on the FTA.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

I'm guessing he was in California at the time - I would not be surprised if they expunge the marijuana charge and just want him to pay a fine on the FTA.

I am guessing he will get community service, which will become an interesting plot device next season.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 4

RE Claire getting a visa, I think it's much easier to get into some countries than others. I imagine a surgeon with a job working in a free clinic in Guatamala would get easy approval to stay. And it meant she got to operate on the guy with the dog! I just hope someone is feeding the dog and giving it water while he's inside. Yes, I am a worrier.

• Love 5

Very good season finale all around. It was nice that Shaun finally hugged Claire

I’m glad they are not having Lea hide away from the world to deal with her pain. She will instead work it out with Shaun

• Love 3

I liked the nurse Andrews was flirting with. Her lines to him were so direct and funny.  I think she would make a good addition to the show, though I’m not sure how they’d make that work.   

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

He said his mother was Chicana - aka Mexican American - so he is a US citizen. He just needs to get his failure to appear and 10 year old warrant worked out. I'm guessing he was in California at the time - I would not be surprised if they expunge the marijuana charge and just want him to pay a fine on the FTA.

OR; his situation will be used to create some future drama.

• Love 3

I must say this season finale was far better than last year.  Like many others, I still am still smarting over killing off Melendez.  I love the actor and he brought so much to the show.

Love, love, love how the team adapted to the confines of surgery in a third world country.  They were inventive and excellent.  The smiles they brought to those they served was so gratifying.

The story of Lea helping the young mother with her sick baby was a good way to start the healing for Lea.  Running away is never the best option, imo.  I was shocked that Lea proposed to Shaun.  When she asked him if he wanted to get married, his response was so Shaun.  "Of course, I love you". 

Glad to hear Dr. Hottie is coming to the US.  Lim needs a good man.  I really like the actress.  The character has hard edges but she can be so insightful and direct when necessary.  Loved her admitting to her PTSD.  First step toward healing is admitting the problem.

Aw Morgan!  FG just pulls me in.  Morgan is such a complex character that I could watch her all day.  Hope being in love does not blunt her hard edges completely.  She will still need them from time to time.

Since I did not know prior to this episode that AT was leaving the show I was shocked that Claire stayed behind.  Next to Shaun, of course, I always felt Claire was the heart and soul of "The Good Doctor".  I found her irritating at times with her inflexible ideals.  But she was truly a good person and had such a heart for patients' needs.  Claire will be missed.

So so great to have a finale that did not include excruciating heartbreak and loss.  Needless to say I was over the moon that the man with the dog got his surgery.  That was the saddest outcome of the first part of the finale for me, the he was rejected because he got sick.  Loved seeing the dog waiting outside for him.  Good feels!

• Love 14
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It's not likely, but I wouldn't mind seeing the nurse come back in some form, even if admittedly a lot of that is because I think the actress is very, very pretty.

AGREED! Does anybody know the actress' name?

• Love 3

I laughed when she said, I might have thought you were flirting with me, but if you were you would have certainly taken off that wedding band. Lol So....a nurse says that to a surgeon!  Love it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I am sorry to lose Claire and Antonia Thomas, but at least she went out on a high note. Its certainly a better way to write off a main character then dropping a building on them like poor Melendez. Her passion will serve her really well working with people that really need that compassion, even if I do question some of the logistics of her moving to another country with none of her stuff with no preparation, its a good way to say goodbye to her. I am really going to miss Claire though, she has always been the heart of the show, but am glad that she got a good exit and that she got to goodbye to everyone at least, especially Shaun. They even got a hug in before she left, and she got to save the guy with the cute dog! I especially liked her hug with Morgan, the two of them have come a long way since Morgan first arrived, and with Lim.

I was sure that one of the patients would die, but I think after the big COVID opener the writers have been trying to write a few more happy endings to balance things out. I am glad that they ended on an uplifting note, much better than the misery that was last seasons finale. I am also happy to see that Mateo the hot doc is going to be around next season, he and Lim have great chemistry and he seems like an interesting character, should be a real change for him working at a major American hospital. Plus, Lim really needs some love in her life after going through so much this season, she finally seems to be on a better path. In general it was a good episode for romance, with Leah deciding not to go back to her parents and instead ask Shaun to marry him (which he is thrilled about) and Park and Morgan finally admitting their feelings for each other in a pretty cute moment that was also very them. The only person who is having a bad time in the love department is Andrews, as he and his wife are splitting up, which really sucks, poor guy. 

Overall this was a good finale to a good season, which is pretty impressive considering how pissed I was at this show when I went into it. I am still going to miss Claire a lot though, but I am looking forward to what happens with the rest of the characters and all of these new romantic changes. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Count me in as one who was surprised that Claire stayed back. At least she left on a high note and not like Melendez (who died) or Kalu (who was fired) .

In reality I would think Shaun would have been poached because a) he speaks the language and b) his very inventive when it comes to using items on the fly or not having the correct equipment. 

So hot doctor is coming on. Plus they are keeping Woke and Allen.

Hopefully next season is a good one.

• Love 2

There was about five minutes left in the show, and I was thinking "Okay, this is the season finale, something weird or bad has to happen".  And then Claire decides to leave.  I'm not happy to see it, honestly, she's been the heart of this show.

Can't really care too much about Shaun and Lea getting married.  It looked to me like Glassman was going to tell Shaun "You're better at it than I am", but stopped himself and said "You're better than you think you are".

Park and Morgan got an "aww" out of me.  As was aforementioned, it was a bit of a quick turnaround for Morgan to suddenly be so open to a relationship. 

The last two episodes were called "Venga" and "Vamos".  Clever. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Freddie Highmore studied several languages at college and also spent some time in Spain.

Here are two interviews on Spanish & French TV, i.e. not scripted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4m3u3p01c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWHpO81wC0

Thanks for linking these.  I can't speak for the Spanish one, but Highmore comes across very well in the French one - modest and self-deprecating.  He also talks of his lack of desire to become "Hollywoodized."  There's a funny moment around 6'30" when they show a clip pf him as a 12-year-old on Ellen.  (His French is excellent.)

• Love 4

But what happened with Dr. Andrews's toilet seat?  We never saw what the hospital's toilet seats were like, and I don't remember whether he took it home with him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

But what happened with Dr. Andrews's toilet seat?  We never saw what the hospital's toilet seats were like, and I don't remember whether he took it home with him.

Maybe he gave it to Claire . . . .

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I liked the nurse Andrews was flirting with. Her lines to him were so direct and funny.  I think she would make a good addition to the show, though I’m not sure how they’d make that work.   

She reminded me of a 30 year old Isabella Rossellini.  

• Love 9

Just when I thought they were finally getting rid of Lea, Claire goes instead. 

18 hours ago, bros402 said:

Claire is also a 4th year surgical resident, she's not finished with her residency yet.

She'd also have massive student loans. It makes little sense that she would be offered the job or would take it, but it's a way to end the character.

This show has always been a little clunky on how to introduce or exit characters - from the hospital lawyer of season 1 (who was married to Dr. Melendez) to now (including Dr. Glassman's out of the blue marital problems).

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Driad said:

My fan fiction is that when Mrs. Andrews and Dr. Andrews had a fight the day of the Guatemala trip, Dr. Andrews said, 'To hell with you: I am going to join my team in Guatemala.' Mrs. Andrews replied, 'Then take your damn toilet seat with you!' and she threw it on the front lawn.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • LOL 8

I am way beyond impressed and amazed at Freddie Highmore's talent with Spanish and French... another language in there too I think, don't remember... he is a very talented and educated young man!

• Love 6
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I am way beyond impressed and amazed at Freddie Highmore's talent with Spanish and French... another language in there too I think, don't remember... he is a very talented and educated young man!

I believe I've heard five which includes Arabic, French and Spanish. Don't know the other two.

ETA: Watch this:   https://tinyurl.com/yy287wkm

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Another thing I have to say - Lea's wedding proposal was decent enough, but it definitely wasn't the best one on TV this season.

imo the best proposal this season was on Everything's Gonna Be Okay - that was so good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Freddie Highmore studied several languages at college and also spent some time in Spain.

Here are two interviews on Spanish & French TV, i.e. not scripted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4m3u3p01c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWHpO81wC0

For those (like me) who do not know Spanish and/or French), there is a way to at least get most of the interviews. Turn on the CC option and then in the settings option choose subtitles -> auto generate -> English. Getting an auto translate on top of auto generate of the spoken language is not ideal but when I really want to understand a Youtube clip in another language, it is not bad.

• Useful 1
On 6/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, thuganomics85 said:

It's not likely, but I wouldn't mind seeing the nurse come back in some form, even if admittedly a lot of that is because I think the actress is very, very pretty.

After doing some research, the actress' name is Esmeralda Pimentel.  The real interesting thing is that she and the hot doctor are dating in real life!

https://labotana.com/esmeralda-pimentel-y-osvaldo-benavides-ofcializan-su-reconciliacion/

• Useful 9
8 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

After doing some research, the actress' name is Esmeralda Pimentel.  The real interesting thing is that she and the hot doctor are dating in real life!

Wow! Are they going to have beautiful babies. 'God spent a little more time' on each one of them.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the finale and am looking forward to next season.

Lucky Lim.  Happy to see her begin to develop a relationship with someone after the death of Melendez.....especially a person who is so darn easy on the eyes.  Oh, my.

I was shocked to see the show lost AT.  She was never one of my favorite characters but she will be missed.  

Very impressed with Freddie Highmore and his knowledge of so many languages.

Thrilled to hear Leah and Shaun are engaged.  I love those two.

I can’t remember Dr. Andrews wife.  If I did, I might feel something about their separation.

As for Morgan and Alex...the jury is still out.  I love him.  Her?  Meh.

The dog, waiting  for his master at the end of the episode, was heartwarming.  Awwwww....

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like Mateo might possibly be a future love interest for Lim

There was so much chemistry there.  My glasses may has steamed up.

Just now, nokat said:

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, Fable said:

I was disappointed to learn that Andrews and his wife split though

Wasn't he living separate from her because of covid?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nokat said:

Wasn't he living separate from her because of covid?

I thought he was staying in the garage to quarantine. I recall that he many times spoke of how much he loved his wife when Shaun asked relationship questions, so this is rather sad for him that his wife has lost interest in their marriage.

• Love 4

Loved this 2-part finale & can’t come up with anything negative to say about it. Refreshing change of location, heart-wrenching cases, doing good work under difficult conditions and generally happy outcomes. For me, this series handled COVID & aftermath better than any other medical show this season. It also continues to be the best of the lot in fact, there’s no comparison as most of the others have become silly parodies (looking at you, Grey’s & Med). I truly hope the standards stay as high as they have been. Adding the dishy doctor next season will be a real plus.  Well done, everyone associated with this show. 

• Love 2
On 6/8/2021 at 2:37 AM, possibilities said:

RE Claire getting a visa, I think it's much easier to get into some countries than others. I imagine a surgeon with a job working in a free clinic in Guatamala would get easy approval to stay. And it meant she got to operate on the guy with the dog! I just hope someone is feeding the dog and giving it water while he's inside. Yes, I am a worrier.

I was thinking she would want to go back and say goodbye to her dad, isnt he dying? I will miss her too. Oh that dr was soooo cute.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2021 at 12:29 AM, preeya said:

It has been announced he'll be a regular next season. 

Osvaldo Benavides Joins ABC Medical Drama As Series Regular For Season 5   

https://tinyurl.com/yx9q4rrv

I like him, but does anyone else find it incredibly cynical of the show that they decided that "Handsome 40-something Latino Doctor" was a spot that they still needed to have so they conjured up another hunky middle-aged Latino actor but twisted his background just enough so it wasn't too obvious what they were doing? I'm glad Claire left because one, she had to be tired of her drama like her actress was, and two, I did not want to see this show even attempt any kind of flirtation with the "subtle" Melendez replacement.

• Love 1