Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Lisin

Dr. Alex Karev: Evil Spawn

I love Alex, he's probably my favorite doctor here, I just want him to be happy. 

• Love 1

I can totally understand that perspective, he often has the whole "crazy girlfriend" storyline which is part of why I'm liking him and Jo together.

I've always liked Alex. Yes, he's flawed, but he's also become a very good Dr. I just wish they would give him a permanent love interest, instead of making him the perpetual player for the entire series.

I can't agree. I think Izzie was there for him a lot. She was the first person to see him as something other than a jerk. The storyline with her and George was not good, but I think since the start both of them (Izzie and Alex) had strong feelings for each other. That's the charm, it developed, over seasons.

Again, I like Jo. Just not with Alex. She needs her own story and Alex has already had his

I guess I just don't see it this way because the relationship always depended on how Izzie felt about it. He screwed up first when he cheated, but afterwards: she used him for sex only, she forgot about him once Denny came into the picture, then they basically stayed friends but she was all about George. Finally, after the Ava/Rebecca fiasco, she decided to get back with him, and a mere 2 episodes after, she got her cancer and started having ghost sex. Then she became IzzMe, almost died and left him on a whim.

We got to see how much Alex loved her, being guilty after he cheated, taking care of her after Denny died, pining for her and then worry sick about her cancer, but from her side, she never showed that great levels of care. While I agree that Justin and KH had great chemistry, the way the writers develop their relationship, and mostly destroyed him with her being a bitch in the end (leaving him with no discussion with huge bills to pay), him getting back to her is not envisageable to me.

As for Alex already having his story, I disagree. His stories were always about someone else, with the exception of the SL with his Dad. He was a prop in Izzie's SL, then a prop in Mark/Lexie's, and now is the supporting friend of Meredith. His character basically sidelined most of the time, and I kinda appreciate that with Jo, he gets to be the one focused on.

Edited by Coxfires
  • Love 3

You actually make excellent points Coxfires. Maybe I just don't like the pairing? Too contrived? I don't know what it is. I watch the older seasons and though I'm annoyed at some of the plot twists (ghosts, George/Izzie, Derek treating Addison poorly) I just can't get into the newer episodes like the old? I have a weak spot for all the originals and their pairings. Alex and Izzie seemed to always have something going. I think I preferred the character dynamics from before.

I do like Jackson and April, only newer casting I've appreciated, Arizona too ;)

Oh, I understand, there is no problem! It is true that Grey has lost its initial charm lately, and I also watch more out of force of habit, so I could completely understand why you wouldn't like the pairing. I would also have preferred Alex to be with someone else than Jo, maybe someone older than her, and not soemone with the exact same background, but I get used to them together now.

As for Alex and Izzie, I think that they could have worked, had the writers not screwed them up totally. I guess the whole KH behind the scenes drama didn't help, and Shonda made sure that Izzie was insufferable by the time she left, but even before that, I wish they had worked more on Izzie's feelings towards Alex, because it felt unbalanced and almost one-sided to me at times. But as I said, Alex never was a preoccupation for the writers, every newcomer (Owen, Jackson, Amelia) gets more screentime and attention than he does even if he is one of the two remaining of M.A.G.I.C.

That's so true. I had never thought of that. My worries with Alex and Jo is that their relationship is in it's infancy. Stuff will still occur between them just as all couples have had. Jo is a bit juvenile bothers me a lot with him, and I also would have preferred her w someone more her equal, Alex as well. I will still will root for Izzie to come back and make things right in the end and they live happily ever after. A girl can dream right???

But in my opinion Alex is by far the best character on the show, Meredith and Derek really bother me but of course I keep watching--I also watch as part of a habit, it had only occured to me over Christmas when rewatching past seasons just how much of the charm was really lost.

Anyways appreciate the response, you made me think a little ;)

I, too, was a big Alex/Izzie fan, although I was frustrated by how one-sided their story often was.  I loved their tortured history and all the drama.  But in the end, the writers ruined Izzie for me, and all of the backstage nonsense sort of ruined Heigl for me as well.  Regardless of who Alex was better with, Heigl is never coming back (Shonda has made that abundantly clear, to the point of annoyance), so I moved on a while ago.  And I don't think its completely fair to compare the two couples because the show was different back then, with less characters and different emphasis, and Izzie played a much more substantial role than Jo ever will. 

I completely agree that Jo desperately needs something to do outside of Alex and even more desperately needs her backstory explored.  Right now they just keep dropping these cryptic clues about her without ever explaining them and it doesn't really do her character any favors.  They did the same thing with Alex, but they did it over many seasons.  I want Jo's past to be put in context more than I want anything else on the show right now.

That said, I really like Jo and Alex as a couple.  The age difference on the show is no more than MerDer and less than Mark/Lexie.  I like seeing Alex be the mature one in a relationship for once and there is a whole lot that they could explore along those lines, but as an Alex fan, I am used to wasted potential.  And at the end of the day, Alex is really my only reason for watching anymore, and Jo clearly adores Alex.  She accepts him for who he is, not who she wants him to be, and genuinely tries to understand him and support him.  That is more than any of his other love interests have ever done (Ava may have been close, but ugh),  and oftentimes more than his friends do.  I want more for them as a couple, but for now that is good enough for me.

• Love 3

With the comings and going of cast members (Isaiah Washington and Sandra Oh), Alex has morphed his way into being my third favorite character. Yeah, I thought he was an ass to Izzie and got a free pass most of the time, but I like him and I think Justin Chambers does a really great job portraying him.

So the mystery is, why so little Alex? Why aren't there more dedicated arcs to his character? Is it because he's a guy (see my rant in "The Distance" for my query about Shonda's treatment of male characters), is it because his following isn't strong enough (doubt that), what is it?

From everything I can see, the actor is a good show citizen - no drama, no problems, gets along with his co-stars, doesn't seem to need the scheduling flexibility that Dempsey does.

What do you all think?

• Love 1

I  think its because Justin is a chill guy and is happy just to be a working actor. He seems as non-hollywood as they come. The only other reason could be him and his wife are very good friends with Katherine Heigl and I remember he was very supportive of her in the press during her departure.

Edited by choclatechip45

With the comings and going of cast members (Isaiah Washington and Sandra Oh), Alex has morphed his way into being my third favorite character. Yeah, I thought he was an ass to Izzie and got a free pass most of the time, but I like him and I think Justin Chambers does a really great job portraying him.

So the mystery is, why so little Alex? Why aren't there more dedicated arcs to his character? Is it because he's a guy (see my rant in "The Distance" for my query about Shonda's treatment of male characters), is it because his following isn't strong enough (doubt that), what is it?

From everything I can see, the actor is a good show citizen - no drama, no problems, gets along with his co-stars, doesn't seem to need the scheduling flexibility that Dempsey does.

What do you all think?

I've been meaning to make an account on here for a while to discuss grey's, but this post sealed the deal! I've been wondering the very same thing for a long time. I'm not completely unbiased, because Alex is by far my favorite character. He's really the reason I still watch the show. But aside from that, I do think he's a fan favorite among the majority of viewers. Most people, who've seen the show from the beginning, like him, like watching Justin act, and would enjoy seeing more of Alex. 

And like you said, Justin Chambers seems to be a great, easy to get along with guy. Shonda has said before on Twitter that she thinks he's great. So why SO little focus? 

I think it's a mixture of two things: One, I think the actual character of Alex isn't one of Shonda's favorites, and only Shonda's favorites seem to get the biggest story lines and the most screentime. I saw someone say once that Shonda designed each male character off of a different type of male she's dealt with in the past, and Alex was designed off of all the men who've treated her with disrespect (at least in the earlier seasons). No idea if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Secondly, I agree completely with something you've said. I think because he's not a female character, he'll always be in the background. Grey's has always been about portraying the strong women in the show. Shonda has said it so many times. It's not a secret. And it's not a problem for me if that's what the show is supposed to be about. My problem, though, is that it seems this season has gone WAY overboard in terms of portraying the women. It's like every. single. episode. is used to reinforce how great these female doctors are. They complain about Derek on a regular basis. Very few storylines that incorporate a male character actually show his perspective. (Has a male character even had a patient at all this season?!) The early seasons still showed great, strong women. But they also showed the men and their trials and tribulations as well. Maybe it's because there are so few male characters, or maybe Shonda wants to push her political agenda a little bit more, but either way, until Alex has a sex change, I don't think he'll get the kind of attention we Alex fans are looking for. 

• Love 4

I think it's a mixture of two things: One, I think the actual character of Alex isn't one of Shonda's favorites, and only Shonda's favorites seem to get the biggest story lines and the most screentime. I saw someone say once that Shonda designed each male character off of a different type of male she's dealt with in the past, and Alex was designed off of all the men who've treated her with disrespect (at least in the earlier seasons). No idea if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Wasn't Alex forced on to Shonda by the network? I think your theory of him not being on of Shonda's favorite is absolutely accurate.

• Love 2

Wasn't Alex forced on to Shonda by the network? I think your theory of him not being on of Shonda's favorite is absolutely accurate.

I remember reading that the network wanted another male intern.  I don't recall ever reading that they dictated anything about the character though so Alex is still a character she created. I can see this being a reason he didn't get story for the first couple of seasons, that she had story arcs in mind and then had to add in an extra character. That can't possibly be the reason this far down the road. There's been many new characters added and ample opportunity to give Alex storyline. 

I agree with everyone saying its because he's a male character. I don't think male characters will ever get a POV in the same way the women do. 

• Love 3

I've never thought about what chocolatechip said about him being friends with Katie...I would hope Shonda wouldn't ignore a character just because the actor supports his friend's career, but you never know...

it's also unfortunate that not only does Shonda seem to not care about Alex, but she even doesn't care about his current female counterpart. You'd think if Shonda was so into strong women, Jo would be a perfect way to portray it even further...so not only does Alex get ignored, his girlfriend is too. Which I think is just further proof Shonda really doesn't care about Alex. If she did, she would've put more effort into developing his girlfriend's character and background. 

• Love 1

I've never thought about what chocolatechip said about him being friends with Katie...I would hope Shonda wouldn't ignore a character just because the actor supports his friend's career, but you never know...

I really hope not too, but the Katherine Heigl thing seems to still be a sore spot for Shonda that's the only reason I thought of it. I remember being so impressed with him at the time because with Katherine's departure it meant his screen time would be cut in half and he didn't seem to mind.

ETA Katherine was also good friends with Kate Walsh and SaRa and that didn't have any effect on their characters.

Edited by choclatechip45

I think it's a combination of Alex not being a Shonda favorite, the show being female-centric, the huge, bloated cast, and Justin happy being a supporting character. I think Justin said that he doesn't really pitch stories or anything like that, which I know some of the others have talked about doing.

I love Justin Chambers and wish he had more story. However he is laughing all the way to the bank, he, EP and PD earn massive salaries per episode. I often think how foolish it was for the actor who played George quitting the show. He would be immensely wealthy now.

I am not interested in Jo.

I love Justin Chambers and wish he had more story.

I actually think he's lucky to be written so light... Alex is the only character whose personality hasn't gone through whipsaw changes to support melodramatic storylines, or been turned into a caricature. He's even been allowed to mature a little, and even though he may only have a few lines in an episode at least they don't make you cringe.

• Love 4

I used to think that Alex was a total jerk. I mean look what happened with Izzie when he slept with Olivia, I know that he got better when he married Izzie, but I especially like him with Jo. They come with similar backgrounds, and I just love Jolex. I think that Karev's getting better and will be a great Peds surgeon and I want Rolex to last forever. Anyway, we can't give the credit to Izzie for turning him into a person because when she left, she broke him. So to sum it up, I would say that Alex was broken before Jo came to the show, and when they got together, they had fun (Not THAT fun) But yes, it rocks Jolex rocks

I used to think that Alex was a total jerk. I mean look what happened with Izzie when he slept with Olivia, I know that he got better when he married Izzie, but I especially like him with Jo. They come with similar backgrounds, and I just love Jolex. I think that Karev's getting better and will be a great Peds surgeon and I want Rolex to last forever. Anyway, we can't give the credit to Izzie for turning him into a person because when she left, she broke him. So to sum it up, I would say that Alex was broken before Jo came to the show, and when they got together, they had fun (Not THAT fun) But yes, it rocks Jolex rocks

It was the popular theory back at TWOP, at least. Alex was the jock who used to ignore the head writers in their youth and the character got "punished" for that. But I can't remember if that conspiracy theory was based on anything said head writers said (I think it was).

Pure speculation, but there might be also personal reasons for the situation. J.Chambers has 5 children, and IIRC he had to enter a sleep clinic, for exhaustion/insomnia, around S3-S4? Maybe the load of work he gets satisfies him.

Again, I think that Justin Chambers deserves much credit because the writing for Alex at the beginning could have made easily made the character a one-dimensional jerk. But I've always liked, for one, how Alex refused bullshit, hypocritical niceties, and told the truth; and I think that J.Chambers managed to stress this aspect of his personality, as well as the angry/troubled because Reasons side.

And yes, Alex was a jerk with the photos, and then he cheated with Olivia, but that's about everything he ever did "against" Izzhell. And boy, did she made him pay  and pay and trampled him all over whereas afterwards, he did nothing but love her, help her, and accept every shit she gave him. See @Coxfires's post at the beginning of the thread. And I don't think that she actually saw him as something other than a jerk (the very nice words she had for him around the Denny's thing show imo what the truly thought of him). I don't think she ever really saw him for who he was, actually.

For me, the women who had a significant and positive influence on Alex's evolution were Meredith (the first who accepted him as part of the group and not because she wanted to sleep with him) Addison (the first one who showed him he could be a good surgeon) and Arizona (his second mentor).

Alex is in a good place right now; although he would have deserved the place on the board way more than Bailey and I'm still furious that he was robbed.

I love his relationship with Jo, the one who cares about him and what's good for him. I certainly don't want more airtime for them if it's to have it be ruined.

It's funny considering his beginnings and troubled past, but I really think he became the sounding board for a good number of characters. I hope he can have more of a central place on the show in that role.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

I agree that it's definitely possible.  I think Shonda is a very vindictive woman.  I think she regretted firing Isaiah Washington, and I think she punished Heigl and TR Knight for it.

I think there's been little Alex since KH left the show, because she's been his only compelling relationship, in my opinion.  I hated the Rebecca storyline, I didn't like the blond, and I don't care for him with Jo. 

Meredith and Alex are now thrown together because they're the last of the fab 5, but I saw a great scene between the two of them back in season six.  I don't recall why, but Meredith has no one to confide in but Alex - I think it was the episode that his brother showed up.  Near the end of the episode, Meredith tells him he's nothing like his father.  Now typically, this was the type of thing that would make Alex snap and say something nasty to push the other person away.  Instead, he smiled and told her she's nothing like her mother.  It's become one of my favorite scenes.

• Love 2

I agree that it's definitely possible.  I think Shonda is a very vindictive woman.  I think she regretted firing Isaiah Washington, and I think she punished Heigl and TR Knight for it.

LINDSEYB12321, ON 06 MAR 2015 - 10:34 PM, SAID:

You guys give me chills, goosebumps of horror...... 

This is pure honesty,truth is always there,one just has to find it. I´ve often wondered why isn´t there more of a backstory for Alex. Subsequently, also his girlfriend gets almost nothing,if you look at how all the female characters get that "superhero" moment /even Stephanie!!!/ and Jo is where ???

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 1

Yeah...but as someone said above, Sara and Kate Walsh are/were (?) good friends with Heigl too, so idk. Maybe Alex has just never been a character Shonda felt emotionally attached to. As for Jo, I think it might just be that Shonda also hasn't felt a connection to her. Maybe someone else on the writing team created Jo? Idk...there has to be a reason for it. I'm hoping sooner or later Shonda will connect with Jo and she and Alex can have a great SL. It took almost this long for the writers to give April and Jackson a bigger SL, and this is their 6th season on the show.

Anyone think Alex (and Jo) may be being written out this season? I've seen a bunch of speculation of that on social media. It seems they phased George out this way, by not giving him as much his last season so audiences didn't miss him as much. It would make absolutely no sense to me to lose another original right after Cristina, but with Maggie and Amelia joining the show, I wouldn't be surprised if they're being forced to cut the budget. And, if they need to cut the budget, I wouldn't be surprised if Alex/JC would be on the top of Shonda's list. Again, pure speculation, but I've seen some discussion of it to maybe explain the lack of Alex this season....

Of course none of us knows, but honestly, they can't afford to lose more male characters. I imagine the budget gets tighter every year, but they found a way to afford Gina Davis. Personally, I'd rather lose Stephanie, Bailey, or Amelia. They  haven't done much with Owen, but again, being a man I would imagine he's safe.

If they want to continue past season 12, they'll need to keep someone! I would be surprised if Dempsey or Pompeo stayed, but as they've both said, it's good to have a job. It's also possible that Dempsey negotiated a lighter load and his salary was adjusted accordingly, but it's a guessing game.

Yeah...but as someone said above, Sara and Kate Walsh are/were (?) good friends with Heigl too, so idk.

I don't think his friendship with Katherine Heigl has anything to do with it.  Its season 11 and she's been gone practically half of Justin's time on the show. If Shonda was all that bothered by him having a friend she doesn't like she would have killed Alex off long ago.  Justin is always complimentary about her and the show. He never takes digs at it like others have in the past or voices any complaint whatsoever.  If she is only driven by ego, etc. than Justin should have been given some big stories after some of his comments but he hasn't, so....   I'm not saying she doesn't have a huge ego or hasn't had vindictive moments but I just can't imagine its so much so that she would punish an actor for liking someone she does not. All JMO but I think its about the character and not at all about Justin.

Having no story until the last couple of episodes has happened to Alex before so its just par for the course IMO.  This season Alex is like Cristina of S4. In S4 all Cristina did was listen to Meredith about Derek then have some scenes where Hahn wouldn't teach her. This season Alex is the one listening to Meredith about Derek then gets a scene here and there with Jo.  I'd be stunned if he was written out. Instead I could see the season ending with a Jo/Alex wedding. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

Anyone think Alex (and Jo) may be being written out this season? I've seen a bunch of speculation of that on social media. It seems they phased George out this way, by not giving him as much his last season so audiences didn't miss him as much. It would make absolutely no sense to me to lose another original right after Cristina, but with Maggie and Amelia joining the show, I wouldn't be surprised if they're being forced to cut the budget. And, if they need to cut the budget, I wouldn't be surprised if Alex/JC would be on the top of Shonda's list. Again, pure speculation, but I've seen some discussion of it to maybe explain the lack of Alex this season....

I would be surprised because they have sent Camilla to do a ton of press for the show. Also Justin has said he would do the show as long as it is on it because he has 5 college educations to pay for.

The only reason the Katherine Heigl theory came to my mind was because I saw Justin promoting State of Affairs on his twitter which I thought was sweet.

Edited by choclatechip45

I don't think that Justin's friendships have anything to do with his screentime.  I think that he is friendly with Heigl, just as he is friendly with most of the cast and crew.  He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who "takes sides" in things and as much as I think that Shonda is overly vindictive against Heigl, I would be really surprised to hear that her bitterness extends to anyone on the current cast who dares to have a friendship with her.  I recall Ellen Pompeo saying nice things about her after she left and believe that they have a friendly feelings toward each other, if not a close friendship.

Alex has never really been Shonda's type.  She preferred the dark haired, charming types like Denny and Derek, so they got all of the praise and the attention in the first few seasons.  George practically became a co-lead, but he was an early fan-favorite and it seems as though TR really fought for his storylines and screentime and I don't think Justin has ever really done that.  He may enjoy the extra downtime, his kids are college aged and he may want to spend time with them before they leave the nest.  From all accounts, Justin is extremely well liked by everyone involved with the show, so I would be surprised if it was anything personal.  Just more a matter of the character not clicking with whoever is in charge.  He is also a man, and a white man to boot, and so doesn't generate much attention for Shondaland.  All of that is actually refreshing, and believe me, I am not crying a river of tears over a white man getting the shaft on a tv show. Then again, Richard (my second favorite male character) doesn't get much to do either.  Not saying any of this is the reason for screentime amounts, but could be a factor.

These days, I think that Shonda has just gone overboard on the "Women Doing it for Themselves" angle and all of the media attention and praise that goes along with it.  And while I am definitely keen on seeing diverse casts with women who are more than just the love interest, this season has gone off the track and now just about every single woman on the show is a Super Surgeon.  Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of the character.  Cristina Yang was a badass character who was also very flawed, and whose arrogance was earned and sometimes a detriment to her.  But most of all, they didn't have to try so hard to TELL us constantly how great she was.  The women on the show used to have distinct and complex personalities, but lately they have all morphed into one arrogant, whiny and unlikeable mess. 

Alex got the most storyline when he was involved in a relationship, mostly Izzie or Addison.  They both left the show mid-storyline so Alex got the shaft and rather than try to come up with original and in-character solution, they just made him revert back to the asshole man-ho.  I think that he got a decent amount of screentime in seasons 9 and 10 (if not great storylines).  I was SHOCKED that they actually brought Alex's dad in and got a pretty big name for him AND built a set (the dive bar) just for Alex.  Granted, Alex didn't spend all that much time with him and none of his friends could really be bothered about it, but still.  And once the DVD came out it was apparent that alot of Alex and Jo got cut and never made it into the episode.

As for this season, I have no idea.  If Shonda wanted to keep with her Superwomen theme, the writers could certainly have given Jo something for Alex to be involved in.  She desperately needs a storyline and I think that the brief stuff that Camilla got at the end of season 9 shows that she actually does better with the serious stuff than when she just has to be vaguely jealous and petulant or stuck with 3 lines and a non-story that goes nowhere.  My guess is that they brought in two (completely unnecessary) new characters and had to get them situated in the universe, they had to work around Dempsey and Drew's schedule, they had access to Geena Davis and wanted to use that in the best way, and they had to clean up a few things from previous seasons (Calzona and the Board position).  So Calzona got their very own episode to clean up their mess, and Alex's stuff got a slapdash "ending" and that was that per usual. Since he really had nothing else going on and neither did Jo, and they were relatively happy, the writers put them on the back burner until all of the other stuff got taken care of.  My (ever dwindling) hope is that the writers, who are clearly trying something new this season, are dividing the season up into thirds and that Alex and Jo will get their time in the sun.  I don't dare hope for any kind of centric episode for either one of them, god forbid, but at least some kind of storyline that doesn't revolve around Meredith.  And please no quickie marriage or unplanned baby drama.

While I get the notion of less screentime = less chance of character ruination, Alex is my favorite and he and Jo and my only reason for watching these days so I want him to get screentime.  At least as much as everyone else.  He hasn't even had one patient storyline this season.  I think that Justin is talented enough that he can keep the character interesting, even when the writing is dismal.  I really, really don't think that he is leaving at the end of the season, but if that were to be the case, he would go the way of Teddy with minimal time to wrap things up and minimal media fanfare.  Just a couple of lines at the end of the second to last episode of the season and that would be that.  Or they will kill him. But again, I don't think he is leaving.  Why would he? 

This season Alex is like Cristina of S4.

The only difference being that Cristina had no love interest then.  Alex's love interest dry spell was all of the seasons 7-8 and half of season 9.  Now he has a love interest (who desperately needs a storyline) and they are a newer couple with things to explore. Jo being a resident, and therefore, not able to really be a sounding board for some of the other characters, may come into play with this.

ETA - I was posting at the same time as you guys, so much of my stuff may be redundant. 

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 2

I recall Ellen Pompeo saying nice things about her after she left and believe that they have a friendly feelings toward each other, if not a close friendship.

I don't think they are friends. Ellen Pompeo had no problem talking trash about her in that Bravo interview. 

I do think Shonda is vindictive but not to the point where she wouldn't give Alex story because he is friends with Katie. As someone above mentioned Kate Walsh is friends with Katie and Shonda never appeared to have a problem with it. 

These days, I think that Shonda has just gone overboard on the "Women Doing it for Themselves" angle and all of the media attention and praise that goes along with it.

This. 100% this. Grey's Anatomy was always about the women but I think its become even moreso the past couple of years.

I'm used to Alex not getting a lot of screen time. I always want more but I would be happy if the time he got was about him. This season it has been terrible because its all about Meredith. We should have seen Alex getting ready for the board meeting by talking to Jo about what the spot would mean to him or something but instead all the scene were completely wasted on her.  Alex could have talked to Jo about wanting marriage in the future but instead it was Alex having to listen to Meredith blabber on then getting one line about him.

I want quality more than quantity. 

• Love 2

I don't have a problem about the show being about the women, or the women being portrayed as superwomen. There are so many others that are all about men and their manpain where women have no agency at all (which doesn't mean that I want men to have no agency, of course). I complained enough about the writing for women by the end of S3. I'm glad that male characters don't get to call their love interests a slut-whore anymore, or that they know better than women what they want/could/should do; as I felt it was the case back then.

Imo, they still find time to write for Owen or Jackson, and those characters have their own agency still imo, so I think that it's the character of Alex that they don't/can't write for.

I'm used to Alex not getting a lot of screen time. I always want more but I would be happy if the time he got was about him. This season it has been terrible because its all about Meredith. We should have seen Alex getting ready for the board meeting by talking to Jo about what the spot would mean to him or something but instead all the scene were completely wasted on her.  Alex could have talked to Jo about wanting marriage in the future but instead it was Alex having to listen to Meredith blabber on then getting one line about him.

I want quality more than quantity. 

100% agree.

@Deanie87, I would love for Alex to get more screentime, because like you, he's my favorite and the more Alex scenes, the better. Ditto for Alex/Jo scenes. I'm so glad that he finally has a love interest who values him. I truly enjoy their interactions and as a fan, it's satisfying. "I'm gonna marry this girl", that was so Alex...no grand romantic declaration about the love of his life or whatnot, just that matter-of-fact realization/statement, just the naked truth. Loved it.

But quality is definitely an issue for me. Wouldn't they change Alex, or cancel years of progression and newfound maturity for the sake of drama? I really have a problem with what they're doing with Mere this season that is supposedly about her (she really is Medusa now) and I wouldn't want Alex to endure the same fate.

Agree also that Jo is in need of a storyline. Her origins? I'd like to see a mirror of the way Alex and Jo dealt together with Alex's dad. Because my favorite option (aside from Alex getting his rightful place on the board, damnit, even though the board has been MIA) would be a storyline where both of them had an agency and could shine. April and Jackson just had one (although of course I don't want the same or even necessarily a tragedy) so the writers are able to do quality storylines for a couple. But will they for this one?

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Wouldn't they change Alex, or cancel years of progression and newfound maturity for the sake of drama? I really have a problem with what they're doing with Mere this season that is supposedly about her (she really is Medusa now) and I wouldn't want Alex to endure the same fate.

I think that they already have. Alex made such progress telling Izzie, and more recently, Arizona, that HE mattered and that it was okay for him to think about himself for a change and do what was best for him. But that hasn't happened. All season, he has let Meredith (and others, but mainly Meredith) completely disrespect him, his relationship and his girlfriend without blinking an eye. Alex has always been one of the few to tell Meredith about herself and act as a real sounding board, telling her ugly truths but also demanding respect for himself. But now has no problem with her insulting his girlfriend, insulting his talent as a surgeon, disrespecting his boundaries, etc. He has made a comment or two implying that maybe she isn't the center of the universe, but mostly he just allows her to disregard him and his feelings. For me that is backsliding. It may not be to the degree of ruination that Meredith has received, but it sure doesn't seem like growth. So, for me, if they are going to write Alex OOC or have him backslide, or at the very least remain stagnant, then he could at least be the protagonist of that scenario. Instead of a fill-in for another character so that THE SUN (among others) can get her story told. Which begs the question, what the hell is the purpose of Maggie and Amelia but that is thought for another thread.

But will they for this one?

I doubt it. My hope for Alex and/or Jo getting anything meaningful is pretty much gone. My guess is that the marriage issue will come up again around episode 20 and Alex will turn into some kind of emo Pod-Alex whose biological clock will tick and who desperately wants to be married and Jo will fiddle faddle around about it, without any real exploration as to why she might fear that kind of commitment, and then either he will propose and the "cliffhanger" will be if she says yes or not, or they will elope off screen and be ignored again all of next season.

Any kind of history that the two of them have with broken/non-existent families or mental health/violence issues, etc. will be ignored so that new and, IMO pointless, characters can become the poor-man's Yang substitute and the older characters can rehash the same, tired relastionship dramas.  Jo and Alex have unexplored issues and lots of interesting storires still to be told, but I will be shocked if we see even a sliver of them before the series ends. Yes, all of my old Karev-flavored bitterness is back and I would gladly take lots more Alex, even if it means a breakup and him acting like a dick or him failing at work, anything that is about him as a character and not everyone else. Especially as an alternative to the recycled crap we are likely to get instead.

Edited because I was channeling Meredith and taking my rage and bitterness out on others :)

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 2

I want more screen time too but I know it will never happen. I'm finding this season the worst (as someone who wants to see Alex's and Alex/Jo's storyline) ever. Even losing the board seat was turned into a Meredith whinefest.

My hope for Alex and/or Jo getting anything meaningful is pretty much gone. My guess is that the marriage issue will come up again around episode 20 and Alex will turn into some kind of emo Pod-Alex whose biological clock will tick and who desperately wants to be married and Jo will fiddle faddle around about it, without any real exploration as to why she might fear that kind of commitment, and then either he will propose and the "cliffhanger" will be if she says yes or not, or they will elope off screen and be ignored again all of next season.

Agree 100%. I'm hoping that there's maybe 2 episodes when Derek inevitably returns where Meredith will forget Alex exists. Then maybe he can get a couple of scenes with Jo that have nothing to do with her.  I know it won't last and she'll likely be back like a boomerang complaining about Derek by the finale.

• Love 1

When Katherine Heigl left the show I thought that was the worse thing that could happen for Alex as a character. I couldn't have been more wrong. Sandra Oh leaving the show was far worse. At least when Katherine left Alex at least had some storylines about him being a doctor. He doesn't even get patient scenes that are his this season, Meredith is even shoved into those. Its been a very disappointing season of waiting and waiting for Alex and Alex/Jo to get even a scene that is about them.

Best line from the recap: "Jo may have a leech named Herbie, but Alex has one named Meredith."

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 6

Any kind of history that the two of them have with broken/non-existent families or mental health/violence issues, etc. will be ignored so that new and, IMO pointless, characters can become the poor-man's Yang substitute and the older characters can rehash the same, tired relastionship dramas.  Jo and Alex have unexplored issues and lots of interesting storires still to be told, but I will be shocked if we see even a sliver of them before the series ends. Yes, all of my old Karev-flavored bitterness is back and I would gladly take lots more Alex, even if it means a breakup and him acting like a dick or him failing at work, anything that is about him as a character and not everyone else. Especially as an alternative to the recycled crap we are likely to get instead.

I agree about the unexplored storylines, and unfortunately yes, I think that Alex will always be the fifth wheel. He's  a main character but treated as second-fiddle. It's a little like the Hobbit films being all about the dwarfs (see: Honest Trailers).

But where we disagree is that I want first and foremost to enjoy Alex. I'd rather have less or even little of him but cheer for him and feel happy that he was there, rather than him be front and center but in a way that makes me annoyed or even angry at the end of an episode, until I can't stand him anymore. Meredith's current attitude annoys me, but Alex is awesome as a friend so it compensates. Although if the board was still significant, I'm not sure I'd be so Mary Sunshine about it all, because talk about a shitty thing to do to a friend (and I'm looking at you, Arizona, too).

There are still many things/characters I like and enjoy about Grey's Anatomy, but Alex is pretty much the "sun" for me in the show's grand scheme of things. If, when its run stops, I still love Alex and I'm satisfied with his ending, then I'll be OK with it.

Its been a very disappointing season of waiting and waiting for Alex and Alex/Jo to get even a scene that is about them.

I wish they could at least work together. I miss that from S9.

And imo, Jo works very well with Callie, and she did with April in this last episode; she has options in order to develop more meaningful relationships with other characters. So I'm disappointed that she's stuck with Stephanie, whom I'm yet to see click in that way with any other character. Alex works well with everyone, and I'd like to see him more often with Callie, Maggie and Jackson, rather than always with Meredith or Arizona. Ah, well, wishful thinking.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I think that they already have. Alex made such progress telling Izzie, and more recently, Arizona, that HE mattered and that it was okay for him to think about himself for a change and do what was best for him. But that hasn't happened. All season, he has let Meredith (and others, but mainly Meredith) completely disrespect him, his relationship and his girlfriend without blinking an eye. Alex has always been one of the few to tell Meredith about herself and act as a real sounding board, telling her ugly truths but also demanding respect for himself. But now has no problem with her insulting his girlfriend, insulting his talent as a surgeon, disrespecting his boundaries, etc. He has made a comment or two implying that maybe she isn't the center of the universe, but mostly he just allows her to disregard him and his feelings. For me that is backsliding. It may not be to the degree of ruination that Meredith has received, but it sure doesn't seem like growth. So, for me, if they are going to write Alex OOC or have him backslide, or at the very least remain stagnant, then he could at least be the protagonist of that scenario. Instead of a fill-in for another character so that THE SUN (among others) can get her story told. Which begs the question, what the hell is the purpose of Maggie and Amelia but that is thought for another thread.

Honestly I think Meredith has been written OOC this season more so than Alex. She used to be supportive of his girlfriends and was the one who told him to go after Jo in the first place. I was never really a Meredith fan, but the one thing I always liked about her in the first 8 seasons was her loyalty to her friends. The fact she didn't vote for Alex over Bailey is ridiculous.

IMO, this pretty much says there will be nothing significant for Alex & Jo this season:

Jamie ‏@greysfordays247  
@shondarhimes you said there would be "so much more Alex and Jo" this season but they barely share any scenes. Did something change?!

Shonda Rhimes ‏@shondarhimes
@greysfordays247 Storytelling plans do change for HUNDREDS of behind the scenes reasons. I hate to disappoint but that is how it works...

My speculation is Patrick Dempsey wanting off the show to race is what changed. They had to modify story to accommodate and then Meredith had to be in scenes with other people. Alex drew the short straw.

IMO, this pretty much says there will be nothing significant for Alex & Jo this season:

Can't say I'm disappointed, though. I love that Alex is happy but Jo is just so boring. But that doesn't mean he needs to be up Meredith's rear, he could have some bro scenes with Jackson or Arizona. Even more snarky scenes with Bailey. I do like him and Callie interacting... the show can do a better job of mixing it up if they put the effort in.

• Love 1

My speculation is Patrick Dempsey wanting off the show to race is what changed. They had to modify story to accommodate and then Meredith had to be in scenes with other people. Alex drew the short straw.

This really doesn't make sense. Patrick Dempsey had one race while he was off, and his racing schedule isn't anything new, and he missed a race due to Grey's. If anything, him being away gives more screen time to the actors who are there.

ETA: Perhaps what changed was the opportunity to get Geena Davis, whose screen time was quite extensive this year.

Edited by LakeLover

If anything, him being away gives more screen time to the actors who are there.

I disagree. Someone had to have scenes with Meredith and listen to the issues with Derek to keep the story going. That is what I speculate happened. Since they already started with Alex as her person it was easy to keep it going while Patrick was out for 6 episodes (if not for racing, whatever the reason). Geena Davis was announced before the season even started and before Shonda said there would be more Alex/Jo.

It doesn't really matter at this point. Whatever the reason the result is the same - Alex once again gets no storyline for himself and Alex/Jo are the only couple who hasn't had a storyline this season.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

This really doesn't make sense. Patrick Dempsey had one race while he was off, and his racing schedule isn't anything new, and he missed a race due to Grey's. If anything, him being away gives more screen time to the actors who are there.

ETA: Perhaps what changed was the opportunity to get Geena Davis, whose screen time was quite extensive this year.

I disagree. Someone had to have scenes with Meredith and listen to the issues with Derek to keep the story going. That is what I speculate happened. Since they already started with Alex as her person it was easy to keep it going while Patrick was out for 6 episodes (if not for racing, whatever the reason). Geena Davis was announced before the season even started and before Shonda said there would be more Alex/Jo.

It doesn't really matter at this point. Whatever the reason the result is the same - Alex once again gets no storyline for himself and Alex/Jo are the only couple who hasn't had a storyline this season.

What was Callie doing all season long? She could have been the confidante, since they're obviously friends and Callie lived with her. There's also her sister-in-law, who may still live there.

It doesn't really matter, except it seems it's kinda easy to point to Patrick as the problem - again - and now evidently he's the culprit for Alex having no story.

Can't say I'm disappointed, though. I love that Alex is happy but Jo is just so boring. But that doesn't mean he needs to be up Meredith's rear, he could have some bro scenes with Jackson or Arizona. Even more snarky scenes with Bailey. I do like him and Callie interacting... the show can do a better job of mixing it up if they put the effort in.

I know a lot of people don't like Jo, but I think Alex and Jo separately and as a couple deserve a storyline as much as any other character or couple. There are too many characters on the show and it shows, but even couples like Bailey/Ben and Richard/Catherine have gotten focus for at least an episode or two. Alex and Jo have gotten a scene here and there, but scenes don't equal story. I would like to see Alex share scenes with people like Jackson and Arizona too, but again, scenes don't equal story.

I think there were several things at play with the pacing this season: PD's schedule, SD's pregnancy, the introduction of Maggie, Geena Davis' availability, Amelia becoming a regular. I can see how all those things might have impacted plans for Alex and/or Alex/Jo in the first part of the season. That's why I thought a storyline might happen in the last third of the season. I really can't see any reasons for that not to happen, but it appears that it might not.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 2

I think Shonda was just blowing smoke in that twitter response about "so much more Alex and Jo," and is trying to backtrack. PD's absence - for whatever reason - would have been agreed in his contract renewal before last season ended. (Do we seriously think ANYONE would cross Shonda after the way KH was vilified?) The fact that Shonda announced this season as "The Year of Meredith" AND made CS a regular also indicate that Derek's absence was planned before they started filming S11. And Shonda bragged about being the first to know about SD's pregnancy so that wasn't a surprise to her either.

I think Shonda throws a bunch of storylines/arcs to her writers at the beginning of the season and they fit them in as they can (or prioritize them based on which actor screams the loudest or who has the most Twitter followers): MerDer, Maggie, Callie/Arizona, Japril's baby, Amelia/Geena Davis, etc. And Alex ends up at the bottom of the list. (Perhaps the transgender storyline was a late addition to the that list, for whatever reason - it just seemed like something that Shonda suddenly "got a bug in her ear" about.)

I read a lot of Dempsey fans saying that his time off was due to his divorce. If that is why then I doubt it was planned months and months in advance. Actors are people and sometimes they request unexpected time off so I can see it. I can absolutely see the whole 'person' storyline being extended to try to deal with the absence. It was already in place and easy to keep going until Dempsey returned. I know Shonda lies but it seems like each couple each had a small arc or at least scenes together. Jolex barely gets that. 

AND made CS a regular

Well half the guest stars become regulars on Grey's so I don't think CS coming on shows much. Shonda also liked her from Private. She brought another Private actor onto Scandal too.

Its very disappointing for many Alex and Jolex fans such as myself.  I do understand that MerDer fans may not understand how it is to have to wait and wait and continually get disappointed since that never happens for them.

Edited by maasa

Believe me, as a MerDer fan, I still understand and sympathize with other people and their disappointment. What I question is Patrick Dempsey being the cause of reduced screentime for others. Other actors have been pregnant, deal with substance abuse/sleep/sex tape issues and somehow they seem to be exonerated.

I strongly believe that any issues actors had 4-7 years back have had zero impact on Alex's storyline this season.

Edited by maasa
  • Love 1

I'm sure whatever episodes Justin needed time off for his sleeping disorder impacted the storylines for others. I can't remember when he even was off for an episode or what the storylines were that long ago. I was talking about this season and Alex's storylines only because this is his thread.

Edited by windsprints

Of course this is Alex's thread. I was commenting on the lack of a focus and storyline involving Alex, Jo, and Alex and Jo. This season, we have no idea why there hasn't been the focus, other than the fact that Shonda said it's the "year of Meredith." To point to another actor's absence as the reason discounts many other reasons, some of which we may not even know. Alex has never had a big story, but which man on this show has? Maybe the reason lies with Justin Chambers himself?

We just don't know.

We just don't know.

No we don't. Which is why I said "my speculation is". I never claimed to state fact or offer every possible reason why Alex/Jo's storyline changed (as Shonda stated). I was simply posting my opinion, which no one knows for sure is right or wrong.

In regards to Alex/Jolex - Camilla answered some fan questions on the Shondaland podcast for anyone interested. There wasn't anything of substance but posting here because she did speak of Jolex/Alex/Justin a little.

Edited by windsprints

And imo, Jo works very well with Callie, and she did with April in this last episode; she has options in order to develop more meaningful relationships with other characters. So I'm disappointed that she's stuck with Stephanie, whom I'm yet to see click in that way with any other character. Alex works well with everyone, and I'd like to see him more often with Callie, Maggie and Jackson, rather than always with Meredith or Arizona. Ah, well, wishful thinking.

It's too bad for Jo/Camilla that the two people she works best with work well with some many other people.  I miss Team Ortho, but Callie being Shonda's favorite means she'll always have about fifty personal matters that trump focusing on her as department head.

Part of why I don't like Jackson and April being together is that it's like they're on their own separate show now and only come out for April to have a scene with Owen or for Jackson to keep playing boss man.  It's like Jackson and Alex stopped being friends after the botched wedding.  I miss Alex having the ever-elusive male friend and his scenes with Apes were always interesting.  Maybe this will all change since Sarah had her baby, otherwise I wouldn't miss either one of them if they were cut from the show.