Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Hero

Season 1 Discussion

Recommended Posts

What are your thoughts on this show?

Share this post


Link to post

Finally caved and got Discovery + because I am addicted to weight loss shows. Only a few minutes into it and heard “I’m like Beyoncé just white” and how she pees her pants 15 times a day, this woman is something else. She reminds of a cross between Nicole (from 90 Day Fiancé) and Meatloaf (the singer). 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Are all the episodes available for streaming or do they come out once a week? 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed the episode on TLC this week, but I'm still not gonna pay for D+.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I enjoyed the episode on TLC this week, but I'm still not gonna pay for D+.

Me, neither but I might sign up for the free week trial to binge-watch it when the season’s over. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Me, neither but I might sign up for the free week trial to binge-watch it when the season’s over. 

I signed up for the 7 day free trial last night, my cable is already too high and I hate to pay for another streaming service so will see if it is worth it. I should have probably waited so I could binge watch this show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I signed up for the 7 day free trial last night, my cable is already too high and I hate to pay for another streaming service so will see if it is worth it. I should have probably waited so I could binge watch this show.

I’m in the same boat with cable. Comcast is the only high speed internet provider in my area, which we need to work from home and it’ll cost  more if we get rid of cable. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Also got the 7 day trial to see if it's worth it. Kinda only tuned in because I have a crush on Dr. Procter. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked Dr. Procter and that we got to see more of the personality of the people losing weight. I actually was rooting for both of the women, but I am leery that Vanessa will be able to go through with it. My 600 Pound Life has gotten scripted and so far I liked this show better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I really liked Dr. Procter and that we got to see more of the personality of the people losing weight. I actually was rooting for both of the women, but I am leery that Vanessa will be able to go through with it. My 600 Pound Life has gotten scripted and so far I liked this show better.

Me, too. And, I also appreciate that Dr. Proctor has a little more compassion for his patients and starts them off right away with the nutritionist and counselor. I understand that there has to be a huge amount of tough love, but sometimes I don’t think Dr. Now has any idea how hard it is for some of the people he treats. It also seems like this show may less voyeuristic about the people who want to lose weight; as in no gratuitous blurred shower or food-shoveling shots. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Well, a tip of my proverbial hat to Dr. Procter, who finally got his own show after appearing on at least a couple of TLC shows.  

I watched the trailer and the first episode on Discovery+.

He's not doing 600-pounders like Dr. Now but closer to the 400-pound mark.  

I've added it to my D+ watch list just to see how it plays out.  

I really want Dr. Procter to use the phrase, "What is your eating habit?," but he didn't (at least not in this episode).  

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk-blog/new-discovery-weight-loss-show-too-large-features-atlantas-dr-charles-procter/7NPSNVJTFNHDLNIULD3OGUT4Z4/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, readheaded said:

It also seems like this show may less voyeuristic about the people who want to lose weight; as in no gratuitous blurred shower shots. 

I hate the bathing scenes on My 600 Pound Life, I figured it was in their contract. I realize I am gawking at these people when I watch these shows, but I can see they are overweight without having them filmed naked. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I watched it over two nights. I like Meghan, she is sweet and seems to really want to change. I don't think Vanessa will be able to stick with the program.  It was sad to watch Vanessa and some of her choices.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2021 at 6:10 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I hate the bathing scenes on My 600 Pound Life, I figured it was in their contract. I realize I am gawking at these people when I watch these shows, but I can see they are overweight without having them filmed naked. 

I always fast-forward through these scenes.  These people are desperate for help and they're told the only way they can be on the show is if they agree to be filmed naked.  It's so humiliating and unnecessary.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Corey said what a lot of us are thinking, Dr. Procter is beautiful!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Hero said:

Corey said what a lot of us are thinking, Dr. Procter is beautiful!

On the office website there is a video of Dr. Procter from a few years ago with darker hair and a fuller face, I think he has gotten better with age.

Corey was hamming it up but I find the participants more entertaining than the mopey people on My 600 Pound Life.

Corey’s brothers were nice looking (after the one brother cut down his beard). Corey got the short end of the stick in looks as he said he was the only brother who had a weight problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Corey and his great attitude!  I was rooting for him to succeed and he did!  What a refreshing change from a lot of participants on My 600 lb. Life.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the Corey episode started out boring, but was a lot better as it went along. He's cute.  His brother was so supportive, it was a nice change.  I liked Corey's date also, even if it was fake.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was very impressed with the therapist.
 

Corey was fortunate to have the support of his roommate, aunt, and brother. 

After all of Corey’s lamenting the rise in Covid and people not wearing masks...he goes on a date!?!?

And...I REALLY want one of those gigantic eclairs!😩😩😩
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It was so awkward when George asked Cencera to go to his appointment with him and she was hesitant and basically said she wasn't interested in him romantically. 

Share this post


Link to post

This episode was a lot shorter than the others. George seemed really sweet, and what a great family.  At least Cencera was honest that she wasn't interested anymore.  He needs to focus on himself and losing the weight instead of a relationship so soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/11/2021 at 11:27 AM, GrammyPammy said:

I was very impressed with the therapist.
 

Corey was fortunate to have the support of his roommate, aunt, and brother. 

After all of Corey’s lamenting the rise in Covid and people not wearing masks...he goes on a date!?!?

And...I REALLY want one of those gigantic eclairs!😩😩😩
 

 

What what what?  WHAT ARE Y'ALL watching?  Sorry damn caps.  I thought 600 was on hiatus and Ive been bored shitless. Is there something new out there?

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

What what what?  WHAT ARE Y'ALL watching?  Sorry damn caps.  I thought 600 was on hiatus and Ive been bored shitless. Is there something new out there?

New show on Discovery Plus. Name of show is Too Large.  Weight loss journeys without most the drama, angst and family dysfunction that we see on 600 Lb Life.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/26/2021 at 3:37 PM, ethalfrida said:

Anyone watching the follow-ups?

I am. I was impressed with Dr. Proctor taking George to the game and the box seats. It was a nice moment. 

 

I just  watched Jennifer's story. Such a sad ending.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Jennifer's ending was such a shock gut punch. I think the show could have done more.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Jessica episode was a waste of time. Why even show it? I feel like she and Amanda just met each other 5 minutes before. This episode seemed like it was an advertisement for Amanda's life coach crap. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/8/2021 at 12:04 AM, Hero said:

The Jessica episode was a waste of time. Why even show it? I feel like she and Amanda just met each other 5 minutes before. This episode seemed like it was an advertisement for Amanda's life coach crap. 

The whole episode was really an extended "Where Are They Now?" for Amanda. She was on the 2nd season of "Family By The Ton". I thought she looked familiar and wondered why they had so much footage of her at her former weight. Then I watched the 10-minute Extra WATN that was supposedly for the Jennifer episode but was labeled WATN-Amanda and I remembered her more clearly. Nice to get some follow-up on her, but why did they bother with the clearly non-compliant (and non-interested?) Jennifer? I wasn't even certain Jennifer was still alive when they went on their doorbell-ringing mission at the end of the main episode.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2021 at 2:37 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Finally caved and got Discovery + because I am addicted to weight loss shows. Only a few minutes into it and heard “I’m like Beyoncé just white” and how she pees her pants 15 times a day, this woman is something else. She reminds of a cross between Nicole (from 90 Day Fiancé) and Meatloaf (the singer). 

Same. I’m fat show addicted. I find this show to be marginally better/more enjoyable that 600 lb life

On 6/6/2021 at 2:37 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Finally caved and got Discovery + because I am addicted to weight loss shows. Only a few minutes into it and heard “I’m like Beyoncé just white” and how she pees her pants 15 times a day, this woman is something else. She reminds of a cross between Nicole (from 90 Day Fiancé) and Meatloaf (the singer). 

Same. I’m fat show addicted. I find this show to be marginally better/more enjoyable that 600 lb life

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, nr65000 said:

I loved Corey and his great attitude!  I was rooting for him to succeed and he did!  What a refreshing change from a lot of participants on My 600 lb. Life.  

I watched My 600 lb Life from the beginning, and it started out with nearly all being successful, albeit struggling.  They also followed them for many years.  One can only hope Dr. Proctor isn't pushed into playing it up and making this a freak show.  And I agree with Corey, Dr. Procter is definitely beautiful!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

With the help of bariatric surgeon Dr. Procter, morbidly obese individuals attempt to lose weight in order to change their lives forever; they face challenges as they work to reinvent their lifestyles.

Starring Dr. Charles Procter, the most handsome bariatric surgeon on TV.  Streaming on Discovery+. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, readheaded said:

Since I’m too cheap to subscribe to D+, I’m thrilled this show’s coming to TLC! 
 

 

Do you have more info on this?  If it makes it to TLC, we can request an actual forum.  Dr. Pretty, er, Procter has fans.  🙂

1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

When does this air? Ready for a new show!

The show's full season aired on Discovery+

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Do you have more info on this?  If it makes it to TLC, we can request an actual forum.  Dr. Pretty, er, Procter has fans.  🙂

The show's full season aired on Discovery+

I saw a commercial on TLC, but then didn't see it again since and couldn't find any other info about it anywhere. Then, tonight, I saw this on Facebook (which made me happy because I thought I'd gone crazy):

 image.png.eed0be53c64ae6a0b133bfd8af078895.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/6/2021 at 1:37 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Finally caved and got Discovery + because I am addicted to weight loss shows. Only a few minutes into it and heard “I’m like Beyoncé just white” and how she pees her pants 15 times a day, this woman is something else. She reminds of a cross between Nicole (from 90 Day Fiancé) and Meatloaf (the singer). 

I waited until they brought it to the tv lineup.    Yeah, when Vanessa compared herself to Beyonce all I could think was except you are 3x her weight, have missing teeth, and live in a hovel.   I was really distressed by her living conditions, and then horrified when I realized she had two sons living with her.   Do they only eat when she sells stuff?   She does resemble Meatloaf.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Seems rather scripted.  The last two women are so different and miles apart re: social class, why would they even be "best friends"?  Can't argue that Dr. Proctor is easy on the eyes, though!  I'm curious why this brand new show, which is just yet another remake of "My 600-Pound Life," merits a thread on the main forum page, whereas staples like "The 7 Johnstons" and "Life Below Zero" are relegated to "Other Reality TV Shows"...

Edited by all4mom2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, Twopper said:

Yeah, when Vanessa compared herself to Beyonce all I could think was except you are 3x her weight, have missing teeth, and live in a hovel.   

Yeah, I think she was trying to project confidence, but she made herself sound ridiculous.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw the George episode. He moved a bit better by the end (the 'parade' on the football field), but he was still huffing and puffing, and looked enormous. At 5'7", even 126 lbs. (out of 680) lost doesn't make much impact. Plus it took him 8 (?) months to lose that, and it didn't seem like he was losing as fast as normal after WLS. I don't see a long-term happy ending, which is too bad; he was nice looking, wore actual clothing, had a great family, a decent personality and an actual career. 

I wish Dr. Proctor (and Dr. Now) would downplay the exercise, or at least talk realistically to the patient about the purpose of getting them moving. I get the impression that a lot of the patients believe that exercise is as important as cutting calories, and that they can significantly speed up weight loss by walking around the block or whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size