Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

S01.E08: Big Man

Really enjoyed this show - something different in a season of same. Strange, but interesting premise. I'm still confused about why/how Gus was created in the first place and how that had anything to do with the sickness. But I suppose, in the end, it doesn't really matter. He exists, others like him exist - they appear to have a potential treatment for the sick - and the ethical questions that arise from this are innumerable. Although the Last Men are obviously painted as the villains, one could make a reasonably convincing argument for their point of view. If the General weren't so mustache-twirly, it might've been an even more interesting debate.

• Like 7

Amazing how they managed to make the ending depressing and hopeful at the same time. This was surprisingly dark for a kids show. I liked it quite a bit and am looking forward to Season 2.

• Like 4

Me too. I’m anxious to see what happens next.

For a show with a lot of children it surprised me how unannoying all of them were.  Love Gus. Love Wendy. Love Bear. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, marcee said:

He exists, others like him exist - they appear to have a potential treatment for the sick - and the ethical questions that arise from this are innumerable. Although the Last Men are obviously painted as the villains, one could make a reasonably convincing argument for their point of view. If the General weren't so mustache-twirly, it might've been an even more interesting debate.

Agree--the ethical questions are similar to those raised by real-life use of animals in labs to find possible treatments for human problems, but the cruelty and brutality of the Last Men and the General make it impossible to see anything positive in their motives. It especially bothered me that Dr. Singh, who has been shown to be a thoughtful and compassionate person (including in Big Man's flashback at the hospital), was going to dissect the hybrids apparently without anesthetic. He was troubled by the idea of dissection, but if he had to do it, why couldn't he insist on anesthetic--even if he just used the argument that it would be too difficult without it, and that any lab results would be inaccurate because extreme stress and pain affect hormones and other bodily substances that they might need for a cure. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 8:13 AM, Paloma said:

He was troubled by the idea of dissection, but if he had to do it, why couldn't he insist on anesthetic--even if he just used the argument that it would be too difficult without it, and that any lab results would be inaccurate because extreme stress and pain affect hormones and other bodily substances that they might need for a cure. 

I think they created a reason and mentioned why it wouldn't work.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, marcee said:

Although the Last Men are obviously painted as the villains, one could make a reasonably convincing argument for their point of view. If the General weren't so mustache-twirly, it might've been an even more interesting debate.

Their argument doesn't work at all, because all babies born now are hybrid. So the human race as they know it is done - they really are the Last Men (and Women). That was Aimee's point. The only question for the future is whether part of humanity will live on in hybrids or if hybrids will go extinct too. So the Last Men are trafficking in sheer denial and mean-spiritedness, and at the same time, they're making things really horrible for the remaining younger humans alive, those who are or will be able to procreate. The adults of child-bearing age are being denied babies because the Last Men will kill them for being hybrids, any human children they had prior to the plague are being denied siblings, and those human children are also being denied a future where when they grow up they can have children of their own, because again, the Last Men will kill them for being hybrids. And at the end of all that, humanity is still extinct, but oh, at least the hybrids didn't get to live either and thus inherit the earth?

So it seems Birdie found an old and lethal virus frozen in Alaska and engineered a being immune to it in Gus. Thus two sides of the same coin. There's so much wrong scientifically with all this (for starters, how's the DNA for many different species getting into humans?) but clearly we're just supposed to hand-wave the science.

Aw, Bear's sister is alive. And I'm very relieved Jepp survived being shot. I'm looking forward to him and Aimee teaming up for their rescue mission. And finding out what Birdie is up to now. I really hope the show gets renewed.

• Like 4