Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Sound of the Suburbs

• Start Topic

(edited)

This is so stupid. The dinner idea is idiotic. Then she goes to the bathroom and he follows immediately and no one says a word until the husband finally reacts and goes after them. And of course she gets on his bike. I don’t like her at all. The sex scenes aren’t even that good. Certainly no 365 Days. And she lets him see her kids? Ugh. I’m hate watching at this point. 

ETA: I just read the blurb for the book this is Inspired by and it’s supposed to be laugh out loud funny. They sure changed the tone with the series. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 1

I thought that the dinner double date was an idea beyond bad too. Can you imagine how you’d actually feel in even similar circumstances? 
I questioned who was writing this in my post for the first episode because so many things in the writing and setting and characters just seem so unrealistic. Not that sexual passion is a rare flower and one that doesn’t generally bloom in long term marriages or marriages deep in the child rearing trenches. That has been a rich vein to explore for writers since forever. 
Well, it turns out that this is based on a memoir and a series of four roman a clefs written by a former psychologist. I’m stunned and kind of squicked, not because of the sex but because everyone and everything here seems so shallow. Beyond shallow, people who’ve never known pain or emotional damage to such an extent that a good life isn’t enough. 

I keep going back to that dinner. First, your best friend doesn’t sleep with THE ex, the ex that you will always love a little, the ex that broke your heart, the ex that will forever bring a range of strong emotions. That ex. No best friend would sleep with that ex, no matter how many years had passed. And any best friend worth her salt no doubt hates the SOB because it’s the bestie that has to pick up the pieces after the ex has had his way with everything. Also, passion with one woman doesn’t necessarily mean passion with all women. People aren’t generally universally pleasing to everyone. Sasha sleeping with this guy makes absolutely no sense and that making no sense kills the forward momentum of the plot. Brad and Billie couldn’t just run into each other in the city during one of Billie’s rich woman city field trips? That’s more believable, the city unfolding in origami; that actually happens in city life. 
And nobody, nobody would want to go to dinner with their spouse and their ex lover for whom they still have feelings. Nobody. And the dude tries to screw her in the bathroom? The point of a sexual passion is that you’re getting the passion and the intensity of the emotional and spiritual love as well as the physical. 
Honestly I’m a bit horrified that the show and the books it’s based on and apparently the lives it’s based on are so shallow. Not only do I have very little sympathy for the characters, I’m praying that people like this don’t actually exist. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7