Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

I am currently re-watching I, Claudius, and looking up the cast members found a couple of crossovers with Downton Abbey.  Germanicus (David Robb) is now Dr. Clarkson, and Herod Agrippa (James Faulkner) is Lord Sinderby.

Edited by treeofdreams

I remember thinking James Faulkner was so incredibly hot as Herod Agrippa, Not so much now as Lord Sinderby, but he has aged well, overall, and his voice is still pretty damn terrific.

Edited by TudorQueen
  • Love 2

Castor (Kevin McNally) played Horace Bryant, the obnoxious man who was the father of the Major Bryant who impregnated Ethel, Season 2's red headed housemaid.

Kevin McNally is also the real life husband of Phyllis Logan, aka Mrs Hughes (though I guess her character's name is now Mrs Carson).

I'm watching "War and Peace<'  on Lifetime -- just found it after waiting for it to show up on PBS -- the logical place, I thought.  Anyway. I think Lily James (Rose) is just wonderful in it.  I also saw her in Cinderella so, counting her last season at Downton, this is the third time I've seen her play "young woman in love," and I think she does it fabulously.  I cried when she danced with  Prince Grantchester   in W&P she was so radiant.

It's also on A&E and the History Channel - and Lily James is very good in it.

I appear to be the only one in the world who watched Spotless, but Brendan Coyle plays an actual bad man - a scary gangster.  

Just caught the "Supernatural" episode 'About a Boy', what a hoot is was to see Mrs. Patmore!  Don't want to spoil it for anyone but the folks at DA should borrow a clip for a "whatever happened to..?" joke reel.

(and I see that this episode was shown and commented on this past July!  Long live reruns!)

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

I just started watching Downton Abbey (love it!). I just finished season three.

I noticed while watching it there were several actors who had been in the Horatio Hornblower series (which was in the late 90s but I loved it).

Paul Copley (Mr. Mason, Williams father) played Matthews in HH.

Robert Bathurst (Sir Anthony Strallan who jilted Edith at the altar) played Lt. Eccleston in HH

Jonathan Coy (Mr. Murray, solicitor) played Lt Bracegirdle on HH

• Love 1

I just marathon watched "The Crimson Field", a wonderful one season TV series about field hospitals in western France during WWI.  It should have had at least one more season.  Two DA actors in it were the actor who plays Spratt, and he played an equally annoying character.  Kevin Doyle was one of the leads and did a wonderful acting job, especially in the last episode.  I love Molesley, so I was happy to see Mr. Doyle in a more dramatic role, and he impressed me.

Edited by Diane M
  • Love 1

I’ve just done a marathon of Foyle’s War.  Both Julian Ovenden and Jeremy Swift have recurring roles. Kevin Doyle is in one episode as is George Murray (the lawyer who never dined nor stayed at the house the entire 6 seasons of the show) without his big mustache.  Some of these actors have such distinct voices that is how I recognized Murray (Jonathan Coy).

Looked back through this forum and didn't see these mentioned...

In The Vicar of Dibley, Hugh Bonneville had a one time role as Jeremy, Geraldine's vicar friend who had secretly carried a torch for her. He performed the ceremony when she marries the new hunk in town, Richard Armitage. He was hilarious!

Penelope Wilton was the spurned wife who decided to pose nude with her WA friends in Calendar Girls. That role was always in the back of my mind while watching her as Isobel! She is such a good actress.

Here's something I found very cool although it won't mean much to anyone under 40: Back in Season 2, there was a character called General Robertson who was Lord Grantham's commanding officer.  He did a scene where Robert was all excited about going to the front, only to be told that his return to active duty was more ceremonial than anything else, that basically they needed someone to go to military banquets and buck up morale.  Anyway, the actor who played him is Jeremy Clyde who was the Jeremy of Chad and Jeremy.  If you ever watch old "Dick Van Dyke Show" reruns, they played "The Redcoats" in a show which parodied Beatlemania.

• Love 1

Cry Freedom was on the other day. It was released in 1987. For a while, I was trying to figure out who played Kevin Kline's wife in the movie...till it hit me that it was Penelope Wilton.

tumblr_mt4b1hHg701ruw1k9o1_500.jpg

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Laura Carmichael is in a new ITV drama called "Marcella."  The first episode aired Monday.

Robert James-Collier has been cast in a new ITV crime drama called 'The Level."  They just started filming in London and Brighton recently. 

• Love 2

I got to see the premiere of Liar at the Tribeca TV Festival in New York (and met Joanne afterwards; she was really lovely and said yes when I asked for a picture). It seems like it's been getting a lot of positive buzz in the UK, so I'm excited to see where it goes.

Doesn't look like there's a forum for it here though, unless I'm completely missing it.

Saw Lord Grantham in the newest Paddington movie trailer.

Lady Grantham in The Commuter trailer, playing the wife of Liam Neeson.

Still grieving over the end of DA and get sucked in everytime the local PBS shows DA marathons to fund raise....

• Love 3
On 12/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, Atlanta said:

Bertie, the Marquess of Hexham (Harry Hadden-Paton) is in "The Crown" as Martin Charteris.

Henry Talbot (Matthew Goode) is Tony Armstrong-Jones and Charles Blake (Julian Ovenden) is Bobby Kennedy.

There are at least 4 Downton Abbey cast members in the upcoming feature film "Guernsey." It's based on the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." It looks delightful.

Edited by AZChristian
Added quotation marks because I'm anal.
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bertie Pelham who married Lady Edith( played by Harry Hadden Paton) plays Henry Higgins in the new revival of My Fair Lady on Broadway

Can he sing, or is he going to talk-sing it in the tradition of Rex Harrison?

I'm watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix and it's like a mini Downton reunion. 

It stars:

Lily James (Rose)

Matthew Goode (Henry Talbot)

Penelope Wilton (Isobel Crawley)

Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TotalHellion said:

I'm watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix and it's like a mini Downton reunion. 

It stars:

Lily James (Rose)

Matthew Goode (Henry Talbot)

Penelope Wilton (Isobel Crawley)

Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil)

The movie is delicious on its own . . . but having our Downton folks in it is an additional treat!!!

Lily is everywhere these days.  She LITERALLY "rocks" in the new Mamma Mia.  She's a very talented woman.

• Love 6

A blast from the past but... Did anyone else know that Dave Robb, in the 1990s, played Kalas, the tall, blond, *hot* opera singing Immortal who spent most of Season three of Highlander the Series  looking hot in evening wear, swordfighting, breaking mens necks with his bare hands, torturing people with electric cattle prods and all in all was one evil, hot son of a bitch? 

Because I didn't until I checked Imdb :)

Because I couldn't place the evil, hot, vaguely British supervillain wielding a sword but I knew I knew him from something. Imagine my surprise!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Llywela said:

Did anyone else catch Mrs Hughes playing a near-immortal, immensely powerful alien being in the Doctor Who season finale?

Me! *waves*

I gasped and giggled just as I did when I saw Siobhan Finneran (O'Brien) in "The Witchfinders".  I think that DW should have at least one DA alum each season of the ones they have not already have had on.  That said, I would love for Jodie's Doctor to meet Harriet Jones (Penelope Wilton).

• Love 2

Who saw Bohemian Rhapsody? Was I the only one surprised to learn that Allen Leech played the man Freddy Mercury leaves near the end of the movie just before he tracks down the man who ultimately became his partner?