Type keyword(s) to search

FBI: Most Wanted - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this episode was very loosely based on the Alex Murdaugh case in South Carolina. The rich and well-connected family, the drug-taking embezzling dirtbag father, the suicide attempt (although it was successful in this show)  and the dirtbag son who committed a crime that he almost got away with...they changed enough of the details to obscure it but I definitely made the connection! 

I'm thinking when Roxy Sternberg goes on maternity leave, they will just have Barnes also go on family leave. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this episode was very loosely based on the Alex Murdaugh case in South Carolina. The rich and well-connected family, the drug-taking embezzling dirtbag father, the suicide attempt (although it was successful in this show)  and the dirtbag son who committed a crime that he almost got away with...they changed enough of the details to obscure it but I definitely made the connection! 

I'm thinking when Roxy Sternberg goes on maternity leave, they will just have Barnes also go on family leave. 

Good catch.  I didn't make the connection, as I have only followed that other case very sporadically.  It seemed too confusing!

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, mustbekarma said:

Well, there went my only reason for watching this show. I only watched it for for Julian. Bah humbug.  Well, I guess I'll be going to bed an hour earlier on Tuesdays.

Well, Julian McMahon was announced to be leaving regardless months ago. Still, sort of shocked the show went there. But, in a way, I do agree with the EP's assessment on TV Line in that these characters supposedly chase the worst of the worst, so such a scenario is possible.

But I get it still sucks.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, Julian McMahon was announced to be leaving regardless months ago. Still, sort of shocked the show went there. But, in a way, I do agree with the EP's assessment on TV Line in that these characters supposedly chase the worst of the worst, so such a scenario is possible.

It was a known act for weeks, and it sucks how it ended, but it was predictable. Now on to the Richard Wheatley (aka Dylan McDermott) era. I'm hoping he leaves all traces of Wheatley at the L&O OC studios.

• Love 9

Wow, just wow, I can’t believe they killed off the main character. RIP Jess. I had come to really like him as the lead, and I hate that he got such a sad ending, at least he went out a hero. But it will feel somewhat unsatisfying if they don’t show his funeral, but I doubt they will, given that it would mean they would have to bring back Clinton, Kenny, Tali and the in laws.

Tonight’s villain has to be the worst in the show’s history, a pure unredeemable piece of shit. It made for an intense hour though, so it was a strong episode.

I will miss Jess, and I wonder how the next couple of episodes will be before Dylan McDermott’s character comes on. I’m nervous about what the show will be like with him because it will take some time before I can see him as anything other than the comic book supervillain he played over on L&O:OC. So I’m afraid the show will go down here from here, it’s crazy how much turnover it’s had in only 3 seasons. 

• Love 12

I should have known when Jess was painting the room and he and Sarah were planning a trip that death was waiting around the corner.  I thought he would get shot and then maybe realize that family was something he needed to concentrate on and so he retires.  He and Sarah move closer to Tali.  That's what I really thought would happen. 

This episode was one of the best of the season.  Even though it ended in tragic, it as a good ending.  Not every ending is sunny skies with birds chirping.  

• Love 5

I didn't expect that Jess will be killed in the end. Why show, why? It was so abrupt, it felt so rushed, incomplete and dissatisfying. They can't even give him a proper funeral because Clinton, Kenny, Nelson, Marilou and Tali aren't returning.

I watch FMW because of Julian McMahon and then I fall in love with the Skye family. Am not sure I will continue watching as his replacement is so... ugh!

giphy.gif

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, preeya said:

Now on to the Richard Wheatley (aka Dylan McDermott) era. I'm hoping he leaves all traces of Wheatley at the L&O OC studios.

12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I will miss Jess, and I wonder how the next couple of episodes will be before Dylan McDermott’s character comes on. I’m nervous about what the show will be like with him because it will take some time before I can see him as anything other than the comic book supervillain he played over on L&O:OC.

Ditto. He was so obnoxious on that show that even in interviews I cannot see him smile without seeing the wicked look. I guess it will be an acting challenge :)

Edited by meira.hand
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, mustbekarma said:

Well, there went my only reason for watching this show. I only watched it for for Julian. Bah humbug.  Well, I guess I'll be going to bed an hour earlier on Tuesdays.

I just deleted it from my Tivo OnePass list.

• Love 1

Not to be cynical or anything, but maybe Jess would be alive if the agents who surprised the killer out in suburbia had called for all available resources to track him down instead of just giving up on the foot chase. 

• Love 1

I didn't expect Jess to die, either. I thought he and Jen would go on vacation and then he would decide to scale back and travel. While Tali was an annoying teen, I felt sorry for her because now she has lost both parents. I guess she will go stay with her grandparents (wherever they are).

I could tell that the actress playing Barnes was pregnant during the show, and I hadn't seen the announcement at the time. Maybe they will bring in that agent from the previous episode that was working with Kristin. They will have to bring in someone, at least for a while.

I don't mind the new leader. I liked Richard Wheatley (strictly entertainment) during the first season, but he did hang around too long. I like Julian too (big Nip/Tuck fan) and it took me a while to get used to him playing a nice guy. I will still keep all three FBIs on my viewing list, although International is more background than anything!

(edited)
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Not to be cynical or anything, but maybe Jess would be alive if the agents who surprised the killer out in suburbia had called for all available resources to track him down instead of just giving up on the foot chase. 

In the past I've read that when actors choose to leave a project, especially if it is not amicable, TPTB in certain cases choose to kill off the character as a spiteful retort. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but on the other side of the coin LeCroix's replacement from L&O:OC, Wheatley/McDermott's demise was left open leaving the possibility of his return to that show.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I also wasn't expecting Jess to be killed off.  Though I was very cognizant of how much time was left in the episode towards the end, and knew that wasn't very much time at all to lay down the context for him to be alive and choose to leave the team.

I will miss Julian/Jess.  At least this is the kind of show that is already tonally appropriate for the death of a main character.  Unlike, say, The OC, which really suffered in the last season because the main character death really affected the tone of the show.

I understand why the show went this direction, but I think some tweaks could have been made to this episode to enable Jess's decision to leave.  He tries in vain to protect the abused girlfriend, who dies in his arms and says all she wanted was to live a good life with a good man and her daughter.  Another officer nearby (canon fodder - not on the Most Wanted team) is also shot in a carbon copy of Kenny's injury in the beginning of the season.  Jess has a moment of clarity to not take life for granted and embrace the people he loves, so he decides the next phase of his life is leaving the team to be with Sarah and closer to Tali.  Give him and Sarah the life the abused girlfriend wanted, but couldn't have.

I don't watch Organized Crime, so I'm open to the Dylan McDermott - no, Dermot Mulroney - no, Dylan McDermott possibilities.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

That was not the exit I expected, nor wanted quite honestly.  They could have  sent him into retirement, injured but not dead.   He could have just moved closer to Tali, and Tali’s  grandparents.  Say- the grandparents needed help and in return for all they had done for him and Tali, he moved to help them.  
Instead Tali becomes an orphan at 15.  Sarah has no rights to her.    Not that I will miss Sarah.  I like the actress- but this character is like cardboard.  I will miss  Jess and Tali and I do miss her uncle and grandparents.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

but maybe Jess would be alive if the agents who surprised the killer out in suburbia had called for all available resources to track him down instead of just giving up on the foot chase. 

Jess would be alive if the Barnes and Gibson had applied pressure to his neck while waiting for EMT to show up.  They just stood there and let him bleed out.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Jess would be alive if the Barnes and Gibson had applied pressure to his neck while waiting for EMT to show up.  They just stood there and let him bleed out.  

Nope! No matter WHAT - Jess wouldn't be alive because TPTB had decided to kill him off! Only started watching the show recently - kind of by default - & I knew Julian McMahon was leaving but didn't really think it would end like that!!!

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

I knew Julian McMahon was leaving but didn't really think it would end like that!!

This.  I actually thought they would have him retire and even after he was shot, I was hoping he'd survive it.  

• Love 2

I am sooooo glad I read this thread before I watched the episode. Not even going to watch. I wasn't a huge fan of Jess and Julian but just killing him off just ticks me off. Should have known when they were building him up as being happy and moving on. But I really call foul when shows kill off characters cause an actors is moving on. Honestly, I'd rather they had killed Kenny and let Jess move on alive. This just feels manipulative. 

Between killing him off and bringing on Dylan McDermott (I am not a fan) I'm seriously considering giving this one up. Which stinks cause it was my favorite and the best IMO of the FBI shows. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

FBI Most Wanted showrunner discusses fallout of Julian McMahon’s exit

Hudgins added that McMahon did not have any say in the decision.

“Julian did not weigh in. He’s such a pro and such a good guy. He basically told us, ‘I trust you will do what’s best for the show.”

IMHO, I think they should have opted to run out this season without LeCroix's replacement and bring in McDermott to open next season. That way the L&O: OC viewers can get rid of the bad taste of Wheatley. I read the highlighted article (above) and staring me right in the face was Mr. SuperVillian with his pompous shit eating grin. I really despised that character.  

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, preeya said:

IMHO, I think they should have opted to run out this season without LeCroix's replacement and bring in McDermott to open next season. That way the L&O: OC viewers can get rid of the bad taste of Wheatley. I read the highlighted article (above) and staring me right in the face was Mr. SuperVillian with his pompous shit eating grin. I really despised that character.  

Me too, I hate Richard Wheatley. That character is hauntingly annoying. On top of that, am not a fan of the actor himself.

I wanna see the closure for Jess that the showrunner mentioned but have no idea how to get thru the next 2 episodes with Kristin leading the team, with her expressionless face and whispering voice. Ugh. 😣

• Love 4

I have never seen Law and Order: OC so I have no idea about the character of Richard Wheatley. I remember Dylan McDermott from The Practice. 

I do like the idea of seeing Sarah and Jess's father working through their grief. Very realistic. I guess that the actress who played Tali is either unavailable or did not want to return. 

Seeing Hana and Barnes show up at the house carrying Jess's bloody badge was so chilling. I thought it was a smart move on the part of TPTB to include these scenes. 

• Love 4
On 3/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

DV perps are often the most dangerous so I think Jess dying at the hands of a vicious and violent abuser is realistic. Many of the cops in my area who get shot or die were doing a DV call. It is sad that Jess died but sadly also not unexpected. 

18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

That was not the exit I expected, nor wanted quite honestly.  They could have  sent him into retirement, injured but not dead.   He could have just moved closer to Tali, and Tali’s  grandparents.  Say- the grandparents needed help and in return for all they had done for him and Tali, he moved to help them.  
Instead Tali becomes an orphan at 15.  Sarah has no rights to her.    Not that I will miss Sarah.  I like the actress- but this character is like cardboard.  I will miss  Jess and Tali and I do miss her uncle and grandparents.  

I do feel bad for Tali who is now an orphan. Sarah may have no legal rights to her but hopefully they will remain in contact. Sarah seems to be close to Jess's family. Tali is unfortunate to have grandparents and other extended family members but so sad to have both parents killed when you are so young. 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, preeya said:

In the past I've read that when actors choose to leave a project, especially if it is not amicable, TPTB in certain cases choose to kill off the character as a spiteful retort. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but on the other side of the coin LeCroix's replacement from L&O:OC, Wheatley/McDermott's demise was left open leaving the possibility of his return to that show.

I was thinking that perhaps Julian McMahon wanted a definite end to his character so that he would not have to make a surprise visit or pop up at some point on the show. I think his statement on why he was leaving the show was a little terse…all he said was that he wanted to pursue other roles. No thank you to the producers or even a compliment to his fellow cast members. Something isn’t right on that set…too many turnovers in the cast in such a short period of time. Not looking forward to Dylan McDermott…maybe he will be a temporary place holder for the rest of the season and a permanent actor will be announced for next season. Stay tuned.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 2:17 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I found the COTW too horrifying. I know the targets are the worst criminals, but this was too much.  He was just killing everyone!  

I spent the whole episode just waiting to see that hateful bastard be shot down (Harley, not Jess).   Not very satisfying.

I probably won't watch this show anymore.   Can't stand Dylan McDermott.  I watched The Practice for Lindsay Dole (Kelli Williams).  I have refused to watch anything McDermott's been in ever since.  

• Love 3
On 3/10/2022 at 1:17 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I found the COTW too horrifying. I know the targets are the worst criminals, but this was too much.  He was just killing everyone!  

I watched MW until the end of last season and was debating over the Summer on if I'd continue because of just how awfully brutal some of the COTWs were getting. I ended up deciding not not to watch either of the established FBI shows this season and didn't even bother with the newest series. I was mostly attracted to watching Most Wanted because of Julian who I've been a fan of since his Charmed days. I didn't always watch Nip/Tuck because that show could get to be a bit much too.

I watched The Practice back in the day but it wasn't to see Dylan McDermott. I mostly liked the ladies on that show more and found them more entertaining. I especially liked Camryn
Manheim because it felt like I was seeing someone who kind of looked like me on TV even though she was older.

For some reason Dylan McDermott started to really grate on my nerves around the time he got engaged to Maggie Q. The shows he's gotten where he was top billed since The Practice haven seemed to last more than a season outside of AHS which he was mostly on for the 1st.

I didn't watch L&O: OC once it became apparent just how intertwined it was going to be with SVU so I've been spared the horror of what Dylan's Wheatley character apparently became. Him being added to Most Wanted hasn't given me any motivation to pick up watching again either.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3

Way to commit ratings suicide, show! Even though Julian M. was leaving anyway, the manner of his exit--and the choice of his replacement--don't bode well for the future of the only FBI that I've found consistently watchable. (International is more like FBI: Kindergarten.) The frequent casting turnover is strange, as though TPTB were trying to find the right demographic mix on the team, and Roxy Sternberg's maternity leave may make it even stranger.

Mrs. Idiotboy was gutted by Jess' demise and doesn't want to watch FBI: MW anymore ... nor do I blame her. ("He's a rock star!" she once exclaimed after Jess goaded a hostage holding cult leader into a quick-draw.) And if Hana ever buys it, I'm going with her, even if Alexa Davalos is my new TV girlfriend.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Was a little shocked, but then realized it does fit in with the rest of the show. Most of the time the fugitives leave a trail of deceased people, so it makes sense Julian would go out the same way. 

• Love 2

I, too, am shocked at how they chose to end Jess's story. Yeah, he's going out a hero but I would've much preferred him riding off in the sunset, happy and healthy. I have to admit, I haven't been enjoying him the past few episodes. It's seemed like Julian was phoning in his performance in anticipation of leaving (much like I've phoned in my performance at every job I've ever had between giving my notice and my actual last day) so I was looking forward to seeing Jess get to start his new life away from the FBI. I'm apparently in the minority in that I'm actually looking forward to Dylan McDermott joining the cast, but I hope the show does a better job of bringing his character in than they did of writing Jess out.

• Love 2
On 3/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, JenLily said:

I'm apparently in the minority in that I'm actually looking forward to Dylan McDermott joining the cast, but I hope the show does a better job of bringing his character in than they did of writing Jess out.

I am also looking forward to Dylan McDermott, but part of that might be that I couldn't stand him on L&O:OC, just didn't fit right for me on that show. 

This was an okay episode but I missed Jess, it’s clear the team needs a leader, no one was even in charge in this episode and none of the current characters have the personality to lead the team. I still can’t believe Jess is dead. I did like that they had Isobel make an appearance, they even mentioned that Jubal and the rest of the FBI team attended Jess’ funeral which was a nice touch, and I even liked the end of how they showed Sarah and Byron, I’m glad they showed everyone still grieving Jess’ death and didn’t move on from it too fast but they still had the case of the week.

Two more extreme sicko villains this week - ripped from the headlines of the spa shootings in Georgia that happened last year and a couple of the incel attacks that have happened - decent case even if it was somewhat cliched and predictable. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Two more extreme sicko villains this week - ripped from the headlines of the spa shootings in Georgia that happened last year and a couple of the incel attacks that have happened - decent case even if it was somewhat cliched and predictable. 

This edition of FBI is like a clone of  Criminal Minds.

• Love 3

This episode was … a lot. The first half seemed a reimagining of The Phantom of the Opera. Then it swerved to the spa shootings and ended up at Zoolander. I really didn’t get why the final target was the male model (who when they first pulled up a picture I thought was Cillian Murphy!). I am glad, though, that they showed each team member was affected by Jess’ death (in different ways) and didn’t just sweep it under the rug and move on like it was NBD.

• Love 5

While Jess’s death was shocking I kinda think it was the best way to  end the character.  He was never going to retire.   There was always going to be people petitioning for his return and blaming his gf for taking him away from what he really loved.    This might have been dark but we have already seen at least one cast member getting shot so badly that they might never return so it fits with the show’s premise and adds a sense of danger that this “most wanted” stuff isn’t just for show.

As for the incel episode I thought it was interesting that there was three beautiful women and an alpha male hunting him down.    And yeah it did have a few weird twists but my take is that the guy posted on the “manisphere” women hating websites and became a celebrity so of course there was going to be copycats.    And the incel might have gone after women at first who spurred him but his last target was the ideal male something else he hated.  Something he would never be.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

S03•E15 - Incel

Erik Perwin does look like Ken doll.

I miss Jess LaCroix. FMW isn’t the same anymore… 😭

Snappy Hana sucks! 👎🏻

Dylan/Wheatley will be along shortly to right the ship.

Snappy Hana was really out of character, and its not a good look for her.

• Love 2

Tbh, I actually enjoyed this episode. At least the first half. It was non-political, moderate (not liberal nor conservative) & story was entertaining. I especially liked how the team worked together to solve the case.

What I didn’t like was watching the episode without LaCroix around 😕Yeah FBI MW has been on air for just 3 seasons so far but he’s like Gibbs from NCIS! True leader, story to his past & they all call him “Boss”! Show may not be the same w/o 

I'm sorry but those photos Dylan shared and the photo above are ridiculous and so dripping with arrogance! Ugh! They are basically promoting everything I feared with his casting. Blag.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maren said:

I'm sorry but those photos Dylan shared and the photo above are ridiculous and so dripping with arrogance! Ugh! They are basically promoting everything I feared with his casting. Blag.

What's with "a hero will rise" bullshit? This guy is not the second coming. . . . .   Are they trying to do a fix-up after the Wheatley fiasco?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, preeya said:

What's with "a hero will rise" bullshit? This guy is not the second coming. . . . .   Are they trying to do a fix-up after the Wheatley fiasco?

Right?? The fact that they're acting like he's a savior coming in to save the team and that the other team members were somehow NOT heroes is just frustrating and a good way to make people dislike this guy before he even shows up!! 

• Love 5