Type keyword(s) to search

All Rise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Delighted for the cast but fingers crossed they fix some of the issues from season two. 

Stop giving Emily screentime. Or at least stop writing her as an annoying Mary Sue who is never wrong. Especially when she’s clearly wrong.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2021 at 7:45 PM, possibilities said:

I'm bummed that I don't get OWN.

I think it's supposed to air (eventually) on HBO Max & Hulu (yes, I know those aren't free, but if you already have them....)

• Useful 1

I am watching this on Hulu and I am surprised to have liked it. The Covid stories are the most accurate I have seen, except for the overuse of face shields that don't shield anything really, but I can ignore that. The second season made Emily really insufferable and i really don't like Amy. But the show has its good moments of nuance when discussing topics of race. Hopefully Hulu will be able to stream the new season.

• Love 2

I'm watching season 2, and I cannot with Amy. She spends weeks overreacting, playing the wronged party, and refusing to speak to Mark over a kiss. But then she wants instant forgiveness about hiding her husband, all the while staying in Mark's house, while Mark lives elsewhere. Then when she finally fesses up while Mark is in the middle of the toughest case of his career, and she forces him to talk to her. And she is STILL staying in HIS house. Bitch what? He's having a tough time at work -- he should at least be able to come home and relax. She needs to get the hell out of his house.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1

Season 3 premieres tomorrow on OWN at 8 est/ 7ct which seems kinda early in the night to do so. I guess that doesn't matter much anymore especially with it being a cable show now.

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Season 3 premieres tomorrow on OWN at 8 est/ 7ct which seems kinda early in the night to do so. I guess that doesn't matter much anymore especially with it being a cable show now.

I don’t think the time slot matters on cable

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don’t think the time slot matters on cable

Why not? Cable TV is like broadcast TV except more of Carlin's 7 words are allowed. When you get to streaming services, especially those that drop the entire season at once then time does not matter. 

I do remember trying to watch one Oprah Network show on my cable systems on demand system and the way OWN sent their show, Greenleaf 😔 and it was a nightmare to navigate as every promo also got its own chapter that you have to scroll through to try to find the actual episode.  In that environment watching live was even more critical than on broadcast TV.

Maybe you can go to the OWN site and watch there but that locks out the less computer literate.

35 minutes ago, Raja said:

Why not? Cable TV is like broadcast TV except more of Carlin's 7 words are allowed. When you get to streaming services, especially those that drop the entire season at once then time does not matter. 

I do remember trying to watch one Oprah Network show on my cable systems on demand system and the way OWN sent their show, Greenleaf 😔 and it was a nightmare to navigate as every promo also got its own chapter that you have to scroll through to try to find the actual episode.  In that environment watching live was even more critical than on broadcast TV.

Maybe you can go to the OWN site and watch there but that locks out the less computer literate.

Well, I meant more that it’s cable so it can get adult earlier if it wants. But also, unlike broadcast, an episode gets repeated several times

(edited)
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The paralegal, whose name I can’t remember, isn’t wrong, and why was Amy acting like only lawyers are paid by the hour? If she is in fact a paralegal, she’s legally entitled to overtime. It’s also gross to crow about not paying your employee.

They could have made her the office manager since it does seem like some of the work she was doing gave her some autonomy to make independent decisions.

That said, from what I've read on Ask A Manager over the years, law firms can be some of the worst places when it comes to following employment laws.  But treating her like turning in her time card was a no no because of "billable hours" was not a good look.  Hourly employees need to pay attention to that.

The argument over whether or not the 17/18 year old was a juvie at the time of the crime was nonsensical.  17 year olds are tried as adults all the time and it's very likely that the juvie court will move it back considering someone died.  Lola probably made the right call to move it there but the show gave too much weight to her decision since the outcome will likely end up being the same had she kept it in the adult court.

And I just don't understand the makeup of this courthouse.  I get they want to contrast Lola's approach with other judges but introducing this other conservative judge looking over her shoulder AND almost losing to Anne Heche's police-union lawyer while still having hard-liner Laski feels like overkill for a show set in LA. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Is there ANY way to stream this show?? It would cost a fortune to add OWN to my cable. Thanks in advance people. 

The first two seasons are on Hulu so this one may pop up there. (I wouldn’t add OWN for this show either. It’s included with mine.)

I guess they’re doing will they/won’t they with Emily and Luke and there’s nothing that causes me to lose interest faster. They shouldn’t have broken them up in the first place.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Did they recast Lola’s husband?

The paralegal, whose name I can’t remember, isn’t wrong, and why was Amy acting like only lawyers are paid by the hour? If she is in fact a paralegal, she’s legally entitled to overtime. It’s also gross to crow about not paying your employee.

Did they not discuss her salary or employment terms before she started working? Not only lawyers are paid by the hour, but many salaried employees are not paid by the hour and don't get overtime. 

I enjoyed this and am glad it's back, but I hope they don't spend too much time on any election dispute storyline.

Also, is "holistic law" a real thing?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, is "holistic law" a real thing?

Supposedly, one definition I found:

Holistic Law is a more detailed, client-centered approach to legal practice. It is not an area of law, like divorce or property rights. Holistic Law is a style of practice. Lawyers provide legal advice and legal information. Usually this is very, very limited information and advice about a specific legal problem. Holistic lawyers, like traditional lawyers, do provide legal advice and legal information about the specific legal problem; AND holistic lawyers focus on the many ways in which this legal problem can be solved (more than just going to court), or the many ways in which this legal problem is impacting your life, or what you are hoping to accomplish or any number of things that are important and connect to this legal problem.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

Holistic Law is a more detailed, client-centered approach to legal practice. It is not an area of law, like divorce or property rights. Holistic Law is a style of practice. Lawyers provide legal advice and legal information. Usually this is very, very limited information and advice about a specific legal problem. Holistic lawyers, like traditional lawyers, do provide legal advice and legal information about the specific legal problem; AND holistic lawyers focus on the many ways in which this legal problem can be solved (more than just going to court), or the many ways in which this legal problem is impacting your life, or what you are hoping to accomplish or any number of things that are important and connect to this legal problem.

That sounds.......like just what good lawyers should do.

Emily should be good at it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did they not discuss her salary or employment terms before she started working? Not only lawyers are paid by the hour, but many salaried employees are not paid by the hour and don't get overtime. 

Tell me about it. But it seems like she’s paid by the hour because the alternative Amy presented was for her to become salaried … so either way she doesn’t get overtime? Shitty. Does she get benefits? I am feeling really mercenary about work right now (I’m losing money working for my employer because they’re not coming correct with raises; I’m going to have to look for a new job); I’d take my talent to another firm. (Amy gets on my nerves so I’m not that charitable towards her, generally.) 

I think it’s SOP for paralegals to be paid by the hour. when I hired a lawyer not long ago, the paralegal did some of it (not offering strategic advice, just, like, paperwork) and her hours were billed on my invoice.

Maybe they were just cramming too much into this one episode. And for sure, I don't commit these shows to memory. So I barely remember all these sub-plots and didn't find any of them interesting enough to re-watch previous shows. I enjoy all the scenes at the court house that pertain to cases. Otherwise, I'm just not into soaps.

8 hours ago, mojito said:

Maybe they were just cramming too much into this one episode. And for sure, I don't commit these shows to memory. So I barely remember all these sub-plots and didn't find any of them interesting enough to re-watch previous shows. I enjoy all the scenes at the court house that pertain to cases. Otherwise, I'm just not into soaps.

Were there actually subplots from previous years or were we dropped into a soft reboot pilot episode? 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Were there actually subplots from previous years or were we dropped into a soft reboot pilot episode? 

The couple where one was still married. The couple where the lawyer went off to Puerto Rico. The kind of crap I wish there would be less of. There's enough going on in the court house.

I do NOT like the actor playing Lola's husband now. I don't know if he's trying too hard, or is just not a good actor, but he took me out of every scene he was in.

This episode had just enough Emily. I really hate will they/won't they. I never got the sense that Emily and Luke were this big epic couple that we were all routing for. I already like Burke better with Luke than I do Emily.

I didn't remember the para-legal moving over to the other firm, but she absolutely should have been paid overtime if she is an hourly employee. Hated that story-line.

I really hope the next episode is better.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Tell me about it. But it seems like she’s paid by the hour because the alternative Amy presented was for her to become salaried … so either way she doesn’t get overtime? Shitty. Does she get benefits? I am feeling really mercenary about work right now (I’m losing money working for my employer because they’re not coming correct with raises; I’m going to have to look for a new job); I’d take my talent to another firm. (Amy gets on my nerves so I’m not that charitable towards her, generally.) 

It seems pretty crappy for her, yes. I wonder how many hours she worked without knowing she wouldn't get paid overtime. If you are an hourly employ you should be told if there is a limit in hours you can bill so you don't work extra. Or if Amy noticed how hard she is working she could have said something about it. I think I do remember a storyline about Amy and Rachel's firm being in financial trouble, so maybe that is the explanation (as opposed to Amy just being a bitch who doesn't want to pay people fairly).

It sounds like Ness took the bar and is just waiting for results, so hopefully she'll be a lawyer soon and we get to see some new interaction.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

If you are an hourly employ you should be told if there is a limit in hours you can bill so you don't work extra

Yes - I was a contractor for a while and was always told what the client’s work week was (37.5, 40, whatever) and expressly told not to work more than that because overtime wasn’t approved. (Which: fine! I could have a life!) But Amy and Rachel seem to be piling on the work and Ness (thanks for the name!) has to get it done no matter how long it takes. She should stop working overtime.

3 hours ago, jah1986 said:

I do NOT like the actor playing Lola's husband now. I don't know if he's trying too hard, or is just not a good actor, but he took me out of every scene he was in.

Me neither. He and Lola don’t have chemistry. Was their baby mentioned or shown?

• Love 1
(edited)

Ness was the bright spot on the first episode. I don’t like anything they’ve done with the show on OWN. Why did they recast Robin with a soap star? There is zero chemistry. His acting is wooden. Even Lola seemed uncomfortable with him.  I agree with the comment that the show seemed rushed. The pacing was off and her new boss is terrible.  I don’t want to see a storyline about election inconsistencies.  Let her have the win and move on. Just let Luke and Emily find each other again.  It all seems too soapy. Overall it’s not the same show and I may give it up.

Edited by Attatude
  • Love 2

I’m not sure how much longer I can stick with this show. What is up with the election stuff just dragging on. And I’m sick of Amy treating Mark like a punk, and him just taking it. No Amy, you get a hotel room.

I’m so tired of Luke and Emily drama. And of course Nessa failed the bar, of course she did.

When will it get better?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I think I like what they've done a little better.  Maybe a little. 

I still hate the stupid games Luke and Emily are playing.  Emily is all "oh who is that...?" kind of flirty only to make sure he knows they're just friends.  I liked them in S1. I absolutely hate this couple in the later seasons. 

I'm also not a fan of Mark and Amy.  I am surprised they basically had an Heard/Depp trial type episode so quickly. 

I like the idea of Nessa failing only because the CA bar exam can be pretty difficult.  Throwing a party for her before she gets her results back is pretty stupid.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm also not a fan of Mark and Amy.  I am surprised they basically had an Heard/Depp trial type episode so quickly. 

I thought it was like the Trevor Bauer case. 

I think the show will find it's footing again. It has new show runners, a new network and has to unwind from what they thought was the end of the show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jah1986 said:

I’m not sure how much longer I can stick with this show. What is up with the election stuff just dragging on. And I’m sick of Amy treating Mark like a punk, and him just taking it. No Amy, you get a hotel room.

I’m so tired of Luke and Emily drama. And of course Nessa failed the bar, of course she did.

Well when you throw someone a party before they get their results, you are clearly jinxing them. I mean, don't lots of people fail the bar the first time? I actually thought she had already gotten her pass results and was pretending she didn't so she didn't have to second chair in that asshole's defense.

I don't know why they are doing this dumb election story. Just get back to interesting cases and good people interactions. I also don't buy Sherry making comments like that during a campaign.

Are they going to have a new, awful, court reporter every episode like Murphey Brown's secretary or something?

Anyone know if they'd ever allow a high profile trial where the judge was best friends with the DA, and the DA and the defense attorney are engaged?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/15/2022 at 11:49 PM, KaveDweller said:

Anyone know if they'd ever allow a high profile trial where the judge was best friends with the DA, and the DA and the defense attorney are engaged?

The defendant would be the one who would object, and I imagine that they think that Amy is good enough that she's worth it and that Lola is a sympathetic enough judge that SHE'S worth it (but yes, rarely would a defendant actually come to those determinations). 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:38 PM, Irlandesa said:

I still hate the stupid games Luke and Emily are playing.  Emily is all "oh who is that...?" kind of flirty only to make sure he knows they're just friends.  I liked them in S1. I absolutely hate this couple in the later seasons. 

The games are bruuuuuuuuuuutal. That's not how actual people interact with each other!!

Edited by Brian Cronin