Type keyword(s) to search

Silo Anticipation

• Start Topic

AMC is creating the series Wool for Apple TV+. Season 1 will be 10 hour long episodes that will probably cover the first half of the first book of the Wool Trilogy written by Hugh Howey, which includes Shift (2nd book) and Dust (3rd book). It will likely take at least 4 seasons to cover all the material in the 3 books.

Wool is a dystopian sci-fi trilogy set in a post-apocalyptic future where people live in massive underground silos. There they must follow strict rules that are designed to keep them safe. They must never leave the silo, because the world outside will kill them within moments. Whenever an individual within the society begins to express an urge to venture outside, they are sent to clean the sensors that allow the citizens of the silo to see the world beyond. However, they always die within moments of completing their task. But what truly does lie in the world beyond the silo? These questions will haunt the characters of the series, and drive many of them forward.

Production was scheduled to start in July and should be already underway. Rebecca Ferguson is the executive producer as well as the lead actor in the role of Juliette, a hardworking engineer.

‘Wool’: Harriet Walter, Avi Nash & Chinaza Uche Join Apple’s Dystopian Drama As Series Regulars

3-shot.jpg?crop=0px,2px,1000px,560px&res

Harriet Walter (Succession, Killing Eve), Avi Nash (The Walking Dead, Barry) and Chinaza Uche (Dickinson, Nigerian Prince) will help round out the cast of Wool.

Harriet Walter will play Martha Walker, a veteran engineer who works in Mechanical. Avi Nash will play Lukas Kyle, an IT worker who rises to prominence after meeting independent and hardworking engineer Juliette (Rebecca Ferguson).

Chinaza Uche will play Paul Billings, part of the team in the Judicial department who works alongside the Silo’s Head of Judicial Security, Sims (Common).

(edited)

Silo-TV-Series-Apple-TV.jpg

Silo premieres May 5, 2023 on Apple TV+

Rebecca Ferguson as Juliette

silo-rebecca-ferguson.jpg

Tim Robbins as Bernard

silo-tim-robbins.jpg

Common as Sims

silo-common.jpg

David Oyelowo as Holston

silo-Rashida-Jones-David-Oyelowo.jpg

Rashida Jones as Allison

silo-rashida-jones.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania

I loved this series so much even as it got further into the sciency deep end of dystopian/sci-fi than I was usually interested in going when I first read them. The preview looks like they've done a good job of capturing just how incredibly claustrophobic and closed off their world sounded on the page. I feel like I've been reading about it being in development forever.

Sigh. I really don't want to have to take on another streamer through.

• Like 2
(edited)

Looks like I'm subscribeing to Apple+ agian! I was waiting for the next season of For All Mankind but I loved the book and this looks promiseing.

The premise reminds me of the classic film THX 1138 where everyone lives underground in a totalitarian state because the people are told it isn't safe on the surface.

Edited by marinw

Silo is the story of the last ten thousand people on Earth, their mile-deep home protecting them from the toxic and deadly world outside. However, no one knows when or why the silo was built and any who try to find out face fatal consequences. Rebecca Ferguson stars as Juliette, an engineer, who seeks answers about a loved one's murder and tumbles onto a mystery that goes far deeper than she could have ever imagined, leading her to discover that if the lies don't kill you, the truth will.

Deep Inside Silo: Your Guide to Who's Who in Apple TV+'s Dystopian Drama

The Pact 
We do not know why we are here.
We do not know who built the Silo.
We do not know why everything else outside the Silo is as it is.
We do not know when it will be safe to go outside.
We only know that day is not today.
silo-juliette.jpg
Rebecca Ferguson as Juliette, who repairs the Silo’s generator, which is located within the dreary, lower-most levels. When someone she knows turns up dead, Juliette will lean on Sheriff Holston to get at the truth, no matter the cost — as well as get roped into some detective work of her own.
silo-martha.jpg
Harriet Walter as Martha, who resides in the lower-most levels and is a whiz at repairing things — even the occasional illegal “artifact” (meaning, anything that was created before the Silo and should not have been brought inside). She is also a trusted confidante for Juliette, who at young age turned to Martha for guidance.
silo-dr-nichols.png
Iain Glen as Dr. Nichols, the esteemed physician of the Silo who gets to live in the mid-upper levels. So… why does his grown daughter Juliette live in the spartan lower-most levels? And why is it that a father and his daughter have barely communicated over the years?

Geraldine James as Mayor Jahns, the genial leader of Silo society, though the division known as Judicial does what it can to keep her in check. Jahns’ many duties include overseeing the forced exodus of any resident who voices their wish to “go outside.” In the early episodes, the Mayor makes a choice that is deemed quite controversial by Judicial, setting in motion a power struggle.
silo-jahns-marnes.png
Will Patton as Deputy Marnes, who dutifully serves Sheriff Holston.
silo-sims.jpg
Common as Sims is in charge of security for the mysterious Judicial division, and in that role he seems to take great interest in everything that everyone is doing. When a deputy position opens up, Sims will do what he can to advance Judicial’s wish to have department member Paul Billings land the job.
silo-billings-Chinaza-Uche.jpg
Chinaza Uche as Paul Billings, a member of the Judicial department, and works alongside security chief Sims.
silo-holston.png
David Oyelowo as Sheriff Holston, the senior lawman, with several deputies from a variety of Silo levels serving under him. Holston is forced to contend with different conflicts when his wife Allison starts to question well-established Silo tenets, and also when Juliette from engineering leans on him to treat a suspicious death like the murder it (probably) is.
silo-allison.jpg
Rashida Jones as Allison, who's husband is Sheriff Holston, they learn that they have been approved to (again) try to conceive a child! That’s a big deal in a confined society that demands strict population control. Allison’s work in the Silo’s IT department draws her into a mystery that threatens to expose a secret, puts her at odds with her lawman husband, and ultimately leads her to make a very difficult choice.
silo-avi-nash-lukas.jpg
Avi Nash as Lukas, an IT department employee who captures Juliette’s attention by pointing out to her how what appear to be “lights” in the outside sky seem to move, and form shapes.
silo-bernard.jpg
Tim Robbins as Bernard, the head of the IT department. He locks horns early on with Allison, over a seemingly benign memo she sent out. As Bernard acquires more power, he draws the attention of Judicial.

• Like 1